The Big 12 is fucking awful

GreenspointTexas

7 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Tech, TCU, Baylor don’t prepare for Texas all the time where they lose games, that’s dumb. They DO design their base offensive and defensive identity around what Texas is doing to give themselves the best chance at winning.

We’ve seen this multiple times. Texas easily beats Tech, they change their coordinators and schemes, going into the game they look fairly average but their schemes match up well and their players (knowing they are on the big stage) play the best games of their careers and they occasionally pull of the upset.

Two weeks later they get crushed by OU 70-10. Happens pretty much every year.

And yes, I think your insane if you think Tech/Baylor practiced 4 weeks in a row for Wyoming/Texas St and didn’t focus on Texas during their fall camp.

I never said anything to the contrary of any of this. I replied to the assertion that Baylor, Tech and ISU are dropping games against G5 teams because they have Texas circled on the schedule. Baylor and ISU dropped games against G5 teams because they fucking suck. Tech dropped a game against Wyoming because Wyoming is good and Tech is just as bang average as they have been for their entire existence. And for their entire existence they have typically gotten their asses whipped at DKR. 

For most of the past 14 years we have lost conference games to teams that were about as good as us or better. There aren't a lot of good Texas teams in that span that have lost to shitass B12 teams - especially not at home or in non-threatening road environments.

Last season we lost in Lubbock in OT missing our best defensive player for a half from a bullshit suspension and playing our 2nd string QB, we lost in Stillwater to a meh osu team in a game where Quinn was awful and the refs fucked us up the ass, and we lost to a team that played for the national title.

The 2018 team that went 7-2 in conference lost to osu in Stillwater by a FG with I think two of our starting DBs suspended for the 1st quarter and lost to WVU in OT who finished ranked 20th in the AP. 

The 2013 team that went 7-2 in conference lost to osu who went 10-3, 7-2 in the B12 and Baylor who went 11-2, 8-1 in the B12.

There is very little precedent in the history of Texas football for a crappy Baylor team getting up for and beating a legitimately good Texas team. Maybe Baylor isn't that bad and maybe we aren't that good but it sure as shit doesn't look like it through 3 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Embrace the Hate tour starts this week. In their final season, I'm hoping the team is as focused on raping and pillaging the B12 as they were against Bama. It'll be every B12 teams Superbowl when we play them. We need to match the desire to buttfuck them, no lube. Make them remember this shit for perpetuity. 

Sark mentions almost every chance he gets that they are reminding this team that everyone left on the schedule has us circled. Hopefully they play like it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Almost all of the top big 12 teams from the past couple years are on down cycles. Looking at osu, baylor etc all of those super seniors and best players from their 2021 teams are gone.

ok lite is dealing with that plus loss of their defensive coordinator. Gundy has hit on a lot of coordinator hires over his tenure. Maybe he missed on this last round.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

And one thing I didn't count on with the NIL and Portal environment is the rise of the mid-majors.

Now we see plenty of teams like Wyoming and Tulane and Miami (Ohio) getting players that are plenty good through the transfer portal.  And it makes sense for those players.  So they can't start at Alabama--go play at Ohio (not State) for a year and see if you can't then transfer to USC or Ohio (yes State) and get the big NIL money.

That doesn't mean Wyoming is going to challenge for a national championship.  But it does mean that Wyoming is going to be plenty good enough to beat a mid-level Big12 team.

And that's where the Big12 is, and where it's going to be.  There are no more cupcakes for any Big12 team after the departures of Texas and OU.  They're going to have 12 real games every year, because none of them are good enough to beat teams that used to be considered "cupcakes," but now are actually pretty decent.

If you're a fan of a Big12 team going forward, that's probably kind of dispiriting.  I mean, you could easily enter conference play with no team being undefeated.

But as a college-football fan with no real interest in the Big12, it's really kind of entertaining.  The Big12 offers a scenario in which a mid-tier program can "upset" a "power conference" program in any given week.  And that's  pretty fun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

And one thing I didn't count on with the NIL and Portal environment is the rise of the mid-majors.

Now we see plenty of teams like Wyoming and Tulane and Miami (Ohio) getting players that are plenty good through the transfer portal.  And it makes sense for those players.  So they can't start at Alabama--go play at Ohio (not State) for a year and see if you can't then transfer to USC or Ohio (yes State) and get the big NIL money.

The next 3-5 years should be interesting. I wonder if more rules will be put in place for NIL and if they will try to clamp down on the portal.

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

That doesn't mean Wyoming is going to challenge for a national championship.  But it does mean that Wyoming is going to be plenty good enough to beat a mid-level Big12 team.

And that's where the Big12 is, and where it's going to be.  There are no more cupcakes for any Big12 team after the departures of Texas and OU.  They're going to have 12 real games every year, because none of them are good enough to beat teams that used to be considered "cupcakes," but now are actually pretty decent.

If you're a fan of a Big12 team going forward, that's probably kind of dispiriting.  I mean, you could easily enter conference play with no team being undefeated.

But as a college-football fan with no real interest in the Big12, it's really kind of entertaining.  The Big12 offers a scenario in which a mid-tier program can "upset" a "power conference" program in any given week.  And that's  pretty fun.

Fuck the big 12

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah there's no magical "NIL Rules Fairy" that's going to fix everything.  Unless/until there are national laws, the individual state laws will govern.  And all of that supersedes anything put out by the NCAA.

Things are likely to get messier, not cleaner, going forward.

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Put in place by whom on what authority?

The NCAA still controls the portal - I wonder if changes might be made there.

As far as NIL - each state can pass laws regarding NIL.  I wonder if state governments or even the federal government attempts to step in. 

4 minutes ago, bbq chips said:

The NCAA still controls the portal - I wonder if changes might be made there.

As far as NIL - each state can pass laws regarding NIL.  I wonder if state governments or even the federal government attempts to step in. 

It strikes me as unlikely that a state is going to write rules that fuck its own programs. That, imo, argues in favor of less, not more, restriction. 

There’s nothing the feds can’t make worse, so if we really want to see college football dead, root for the feds to get involved. 

As far as the portal, the NCAA could be told to pound sand. Any other student can transfer at will and get scholarships. Big time college football has no need for the NCAA of which I am aware. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

7 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It strikes me as unlikely that a state is going to write rules that fuck its own programs. That, imo, argues in favor of less, not more, restriction. 

There’s nothing the feds can’t make worse, so if we really want to see college football dead, root for the feds to get involved. 

I'm guessing that the NCAA won't ever be able to restrict NIL and if we rule individual states out, that leaves the Feds.

I would be surprised if something isn't already in the works on a federal level to combat the perception that NIL needs to be "reigned in". 

Perhaps some bills will get introduced but die early, like at the committee level, because they lack support. 

3 minutes ago, bbq chips said:

I'm guessing that the NCAA won't ever be able to restrict NIL and if we rule individual states out, that leaves the Feds.

I would be surprised if something isn't already in the works on a federal level to combat the perception that NIL needs to be "reigned in". 

Perhaps some bills will get introduced but die early, like at the committee level, because they lack support. 

I’d be surprised if even camera-loving morons are stupid enough to try to make this a federal issue. 

On the one side, you have the free-market people and on the other you have the people who think college football has been taking advantage of the players. Which one of those wants to step up and say “no, stop letting them get paid”?

Edited by Doc Daneeka

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’d be surprised if even camera-loving morons are stupid enough to try to make this a federal issue. 

On the one side, you have the free-market people and on the other you have the people who think college football has been taking advantage of the players. Which one of those wants to step up and say “no, stop letting them get paid”?

I don' think the lack of boundaries for NIL can go on indefinitely before we have a bevy of coaches and administrators screaming that we need to make changes.  If the sport cannot govern itself, then the Feds may step in. You said it earlier but I will put it in my own words - we should never discount the Fed's ability to make shit worse. 

• Like 1

Just now, bbq chips said:

I don' think the lack of boundaries for NIL can go on indefinitely before we have a bevy of coaches and administrators screaming that we need to make changes.  If the sport cannot govern itself, then the Feds may step in. You said it earlier but I will put it in my own words - we should never discount the Fed's ability to make shit worse. 

It’s not the sport, per se, though. It’s a market of people willing to pay to use NIL and those willing to sell the right to use it. 

People might as well argue that programmers, or doctors, or strippers, or whoever shouldn’t be allowed to make as much money as people are willing to pay them. It’s a non-starter for pretty much any political ideology in DC in those terms.

I guess we’ll see what happens. 

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

People might as well argue that programmers, or doctors, or strippers, or whoever shouldn’t be allowed to make as much money as people are willing to pay them\

I get what you are saying - free market. Sports are unique, though and are governed under special rules and categories. No one is out buying hats, jerseys and lining up to buy tickets to watch their doctor or a programmer perform their duties.

Every major sport except CFB has a governing body which sets any number of rules (including salary caps, spending limits, spending penalties) and applies them across the board.

• Like 1

Just now, bbq chips said:

I get what you are saying - free market. Sports are unique, though and are governed under special rules and categories. No one is out buying hats, jerseys and lining up to buy tickets to watch their doctor or a programmer perform their duties.

Every major sport except CFB has a governing body which sets any number of rules (including salary caps, spending limits, spending penalties) and applies them across the board.

Sports are different in that it’s not in a team’s best interest to drive all the other teams out of business. That said, even where there’s a salary cap — which doesn’t really have a corollary here — athletes are still able to make as much as they possibly can from their NIL via advertising and appearances, right?

I guess you’re going to have to help me understand the relevance of what you’re saying to NIL, because I don’t see it. 

On 9/18/2023 at 7:47 AM, mdmost said:

That's just f'ing embarrassing for the conference that's been promoting the new entrants. I guess when OU hangs half a hundred on Cincinatti this weekend, the Big 12 can tweet out how dominant OU was. 

I glanced over that and figured one of you assholes dug it up. I didn’t realize the fucking conference posted it. What the fuck. 

15 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The fans and those who want to appeal to the fans, probably. That shouldn’t restrict the ability of people to sell their NIL.

I agree.

This is unrelated to our current discussion: I don't participate in NIL. I have the money to contribute something each year, but refuse on personal grounds.

Many programs, including ours rake in tens of millions each year from TV revenue. The NIL should come from the TV revenue, not the fans. I buy the occasional hat and shirt. I buy tickets, food, beer, hotels each year - all of which support the team. I find it odd that as fans we are asked to do all of that, plus pay the athletes. Fuck that.

That's just my opinion and I exercise that stance by refusing to give a dime to NIL.

Edited by bbq chips
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Sports are different in that it’s not in a team’s best interest to drive all the other teams out of business. That said, even where there’s a salary cap — which doesn’t really have a corollary here — athletes are still able to make as much as they possibly can from their NIL via advertising and appearances, right?

I guess you’re going to have to help me understand the relevance of what you’re saying to NIL, because I don’t see it. 

Ya sorry. I had mentally concluded our prior discussion with your response of "I guess we’ll see what happens" and moved into different areas

1 minute ago, bbq chips said:

Ya sorry. I had mentally concluded our prior discussion with your response of "I guess we’ll see what happens" and moved into different areas

We’ll see what happens on the federal front. 

Professional athletes, even in leagues with salary caps, are free to make absolutely as much as they can from what is essentially NIL via sponsorships, advertising, appearances, autographs, etc. Paid for by fans or people who want to appeal to fans. Why not college athletes?

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Professional athletes, even in leagues with salary caps, are free to make absolutely as much as they can from what is essentially NIL via sponsorships, advertising, appearances, autographs, etc. Paid for by fans or people who want to appeal to fans. Why not college athletes?

Sorry the responses are not linear . I think I said this before, but I agree with you (in bold)

I'm distracted because I'm trying to figure out why a poster specifically looked for all of my posts, negged each one of them until they apparently logged off for the day and is claiming i'm a troll called animaltaco or something.

36 minutes ago, bbq chips said:

Sorry the responses are not linear . I think I said this before, but I agree with you (in bold)

I'm distracted because I'm trying to figure out why a poster specifically looked for all of my posts, negged each one of them until they apparently logged off for the day and is claiming i'm a troll called animaltaco or something.

You’re talking about salary caps like the athletes are getting profit sharing from the school. That is a completely different area than NIL.

NIL is going to work the same way it does at the pro level. The QB of the Dallas Cowboys typically makes more money than the QB of most other teams just by being the QB of Dallas. QBs of other teams if they a really good can’t make great money too, nothing prevents this, it’s free market.

Texas, by being the only blueblood of the largest football crazy state that is also in a major metro that is also surrounded by 3 other major metros has far more potential than any other team to take advantage of NIL. The closest #2 is likely USC (larger state/metro but not as invested in cfb in general)

Feel free not to contribute to NIL but it absolutely has nothing to do with TV dollars.

21 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

NIL is going to

I just wonder how NIL will change over time because I don't see how it can exist in it's current form.

Telling a kid if they go to xyz university and they will get $100k a year is payment for services rendered. We can call it NIL or whatever we want, but that only masks what the truth is.

1 minute ago, bbq chips said:

I just wonder how NIL will change over time because I don't see how it can exist in it's current form.

Telling a kid if they go to xyz university and they will get $100k a year is payment for services rendered. We can call it NIL or whatever we want, but that only masks what the truth is.

Well nobody is saying that. Texas is in a position to say "look at what these guys who were rated similarly to you at the same position made in NIL at Texas." Saying what you're saying above is against the rules. Texas has no reason to cheat. 

Other than that, why exactly do you think only a specific subset (college athletes) of adult Americans shouldn't be able to earn money based on their fair market value? 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well nobody is saying that. Texas is in a position to say "look at what these guys who were rated similarly to you at the same position made in NIL at Texas." Saying what you're saying above is against the rules. Texas has no reason to cheat. 

Other than that, why exactly do you think

What I think is that NIL may change over time and I'm curious what things will look like in 5-10 years. Hopefully the federal government doesn't come in and ruin things.

16 minutes ago, bbq chips said:

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Other than that, why exactly do you think only a specific subset (college athletes) of adult Americans shouldn't be able to earn money based on their fair market value? 

Screenshot_20230919_204548_Google.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbq chips said:

Usually brand new members don’t make *scrolls up* 12 posts on a single page of a thread. You don’t appear to fully understand NIL rules so consider lurking more for a bit. 

The Missouri NIL law bugs me. A kid commits to Mizzou, signs non-binding financial aid papers, and he can make legal NIL money as high school senior without taking a single practice rep in Columbia. That’s the definition of inducement. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Missouri NIL law bugs me. A kid commits to Mizzou, signs non-binding financial aid papers, and he can make legal NIL money as high school senior without taking a single practice rep in Columbia. That’s the definition of inducement. 

If that is real then the shit is out of control

20 minutes ago, redswingline said:

If that is real then the shit is out of control

It’s real, but it’s any school in Missouri. Obviously Mizzou will be the largest beneficiary, but if some basketball star wanted to play at SE mo state for a year and had the media presence to be worth money in NIL, they could do the same. 

Outside of our game vs baylor the only b12 game that looks interesting to me this week is maybe ksu vs. ucf.
I think the spread is -6.5. I may throw some ducats at that one

OU at Cincinnati will be the first time I personally watch OU and their biggest test before the RRS. SMU may or may not be a marginally better team than Cincy but the atmosphere of Cincy’s Big 12 opener tips the scales.

Kansas-BYU is pretty interesting. Both undefeated, a little unsure what to make of BYU. Jalon Daniels is fun to watch and Kansas is up next for Texas.

UCF might actually be pretty good and they’re going to take on K State, who I do still think is a pretty good team despite the Mizzou loss - when your opponent hits a 61 yard FG you just tip the cap.

TCU-SMU is a rivalry game. I think it’s actually a pretty interesting week.
  • Hook 'Em 1