What do ya' think about this.........

Bevo&Pevo

@Frank Drebin - thank you for posting that!

A quick link to 2022 grade 8 math data: https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/mathematics/states/groups/?grade=8

Texas white: 284
Texas hispanic: 265
Texas black: 260
Texas asian: 307

Wisconsin white: 291
Wisconsin hispanic: 264
Wisconsin black: 237
Wisconsin asian: 288

Link to 2022 4th grade reading: https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/reading/states/groups/?grade=4

Texas white: 228
Texas hispanic: 205
Texas black: 204
Texas asian: 251

Wisconsin white: 226
Wisconsin hispanic: 202
Wisconsin black: 186
Wisconsin asian: 219

Texas 7, Wisconsin 1 - I picked 2 at random

Fixating on averages can and may result in poor decision making :)

Grade 4 literacy rates are directly correlated (and likely causal) to adult success, fwiw.

What’s gonna be real fun is 2025 when the surplus funding for the state buy down of the isd tax rates isn’t there. In typical Tx fashion, they just yolo’d ~12bn of the surplus on a 2 yr buy down of 10.7cents. There’s no way they let the rates bounce back up and I can’t see the state having 30bn surplus again. 

I remember reading up on the property tax relief package and thinking “huh, this is going to be really interesting next session…”

16 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

That sounds like what what Frisco ISD is trying to do. I know they have issues covering all the classes they need too. Some kids get bussed to a different school for some of them. Don't know if that is because of the school size or just because of how quickly it grew out there. They basically opened a high school almost every year for 10 years. 

Senior and a sophomore at HS in Frisco.  There are 12 schools with plans for 14.  For many years Frisco was the fastest growing city in the country.  And yes, all the middle schools have the exact same architecture as do some of the high schools to expedite construction. 

They are all capped at 2,200+/- kids and even now most are busting at the seems.  Our is around 2,400.  All are 5A.  Prosper went another direction and is planning 4 high schools with 3 built.  These are the big super-6A schools like Allen and Southlake. 

With the demand to build so many schools in Frisco none of them have football stadiums.  For the longest time we played at Kuykendall or Toyota.  That was part of the deal with the Star - Jerry let's all the teams play there during the week.  With the decision to cap all the schools at 5A to keep schools and class sizes smaller, you can't have a dozen different stadiums.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Lulz this is now the thread where the fascists that live in north Dallas come to defend the education system that they're trying to replace with vouchers because their public school teacher tried to teach Anne franks diary 

Never change Captainantifa

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

I *think* I found a way to find out how much a district receives from Robin Hood, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy list by district. From what I can gather from the TEA website, recapture dollars go into the Foundation School Program and then get allotted to the various districts.

I'm most familiar with school districts out in West Texas, so I picked one that I knew was property poor to see how much they get. Here are the results for Plainview where there's a rolling recalculation of around $31-32 million funds allotted to them.

image.png.40cbc89d838f1c5636063db0516df3d0.png

https://tealprod.tea.state.tx.us/fsp/Payments/Ledger.aspx?district=095905&year=2024&ledger=1&data=1

But if you change the drop-down menu to "recapture," you get this error message:

image.png.ac6c637c979ef5eacac77bda0b91c1b2.png

It'd be a huge pain in the ass to check all the districts, but if I'm understanding it correctly, this is how you can check individual districts.

Prosper doesn't pay in.

image.png.e846e1339bb52e8362859ab54c5679d2.png

But they appear to receive more than $100 million.

image.png.b8163b2f98d18c9d8d728a0a78f131f4.png

https://tealprod.tea.state.tx.us/fsp/Payments/Ledger.aspx?district=043912&year=2024&ledger=1&data=1

Katy and cy fair getting 350-450 million each?

That's fucking bullshit.

• Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Senior and a sophomore at HS in Frisco.  There are 12 schools with plans for 14.  For many years Frisco was the fastest growing city in the country.  And yes, all the middle schools have the exact same architecture as do some of the high schools to expedite construction. 

They are all capped at 2,200+/- kids and even now most are busting at the seems.  Our is around 2,400.  All are 5A.  Prosper went another direction and is planning 4 high schools with 3 built.  These are the big super-6A schools like Allen and Southlake. 

With the demand to build so many schools in Frisco none of them have football stadiums.  For the longest time we played at Kuykendall or Toyota.  That was part of the deal with the Star - Jerry let's all the teams play there during the week.  With the decision to cap all the schools at 5A to keep schools and class sizes smaller, you can't have a dozen different stadiums.

I was wondering last night. Do they use the small stadiums that are on campus for like JV and 9th grade football and maybe track meets? I can see how they can use 3 stadiums (Star, Kuykendall and Toyota) if it's just varsity football. 

2 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I was wondering last night. Do they use the small stadiums that are on campus for like JV and 9th grade football and maybe track meets? I can see how they can use 3 stadiums (Star, Kuykendall and Toyota) if it's just varsity football. 

Basically.  They're just practice fields for football and utilized for all the other field sports (track, soccer, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Recapture/Robin Hood was obviously not meant for Prosper High to get the same amount of money as South Oak Cliff. It seems like regulatory folks or admins of this program need to add some additional filtering to figure out how to stop the gaming of the system, otherwise you run the risk of poisoning the well and turning people off of this program which is a good one for poor districts.

That said, I don't see how with recapture dollars leaving or not, how Austin ISD schools aren't best in breed with the newest suburbs. There should be plenty of money you'd think and rodents and ancient HVAC, etc. is unacceptable.

So, on schools, and the concepts of being funded by property taxes and “property rich” v. “property poor” districts, here’s my thought for an “adjustment” that could help us make sense of things:

1) Consider average/total property values of RESIDENTIAL property values in a district to determine the base allocation to each district. Homes (and multifamily buildings used to provide residences) are the measure of “how many people are there to be served in the district.” And if we did that, I would bet that we’d be surprised how much the “property wealth” gap narrows between districts. The bucket of “residential property value” dollars per student in Frisco might be pretty similar to the dollars-per-student allocation in Austin, etc. At the very least, I think the spread would be a lot less than it currently is.

2) THEN, consider the value of business property as a separate bucket – maybe even a statewide bucket? Because those folks in Prosper and Frisco and Katy don’t generate the bulk of their income dollars in those places (sure, there ARE businesses there – mostly businesses that serve local populations, like groceries, Lowes, what have you). Rather, the economic engines – and the huge dollar value real properties – are in the cities. Those tall downtown office buildings have the valuation of several hundred homes (and yes, there’s also big outliers when it comes to industrial sites, like the big Dow plant in Brazoria county, the plants in Jefferson County). The point is – and maybe my proposal is – that non-residential properties should have their property taxes put in a single statewide pool to go to all schools on something like a per capita basis. With this element MAYBE subject to my third suggestion.

3) Those statewide dollars should be allocated on a per capita basis, ADJUSTED for local cost of living. Because a teacher can afford a place to live in Prosper and Sweetwater, and Tyler on $45k a year - they need more than that to afford a decent place in most cities. The purchase price of real property to build a new school is cheaper in those places than in Austin or Dallas. So, come up with some sort of “local costs” adjuster method, and apply that to the allocation of the collective state dollars.

Because ultimately, yes, it’s bullshit that suburban schools (with relatively lower total property values) can afford to build football palaces, whereas urban schools (in districts that are property rich because of the density and value of urban business properties) have leaky roofs and no AC.

Unfortunately, the suburban/rural vs. urban divide and hatefest in this state will prevent any examination of the issue along those lines. Our politicians will continue to favor the suburbs, and be at war with cities. And if the collateral damage is the kids who live in those urban areas, fuck ‘em.

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

meaning?

Meaning that extravagant stadium was paid for via the multi-billion dollar bond that they passed.  A bond many municipalities are either unable or unwilling to pass to fund projects like this one.  I'm not talking about HVAC systems and salaries (which the bond does not cover) - just that enormous stadium that is making all the headlines. 

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The problem isn't recapture, per se, it's relying entirely on property taxes to fund public education. https://www.texastribune.org/2019/01/31/texas-robin-hood-recapture-villain-texas-fix-school-finance/

It's inherently biased in favor of property-rich school districts, and unconstitutional under the Texas Constitution, but not the US Constitution.

If we get rid of recapture, we're going to have a problem as long as we rely on property taxes.

I call a small amount of bullshit.  See, for instance, this quote:

"The way I look at it is that we don't want any poor kids to be treated badly, but there's no reason why poor kids in Dallas and Austin should be treated better than kids in San Antonio or San Elizario," said Al Kauffman, who represented Edgewood ISD in early school-finance lawsuits.

So what's happening is middle and upper class kids in Austin are being treated worse than those elsewhere.  Is that fair?

It's possible that expanding beyond property tax funding of schools would help equalize things and get all kids of all classes on the same educational level, but what we're doing now is fucked.  See again my comment above:  central Austin, high property values, taxes out the ass, and a prominent high school can't fix the HVAC system and there are fucking raccoons falling from the ceiling.  Oh yeah, there are no athletic facilities on most campuses worth a tinker's damn.  Meanwhile, go to a game in Manor.  Just sayin'.

See again my comment above:  central Austin, high property values, taxes out the ass, and a prominent high school can't fix the HVAC system and there are fucking raccoons falling from the ceiling. 

This is what I don't understand. How is this possible? AISD is giving so much money away to other districts that it can't even take care of itself?

That's like if you make a great living and income, but give away so much of it to the poor people across town, that they have nice new homes with modern designs and you have a leaky roof and broken AC and can't afford to modernize your 1950 3/2.

The problem seems to be in the filtering and giving away too much before basic budgeted necessities and upgrades are accounted for?

Those districts aren't passing a $2.8B bond like Prosper did to fund their stadium.  

Austin passed a $2.4B bond last year on top of a $1 billion plus bond in 2017. The district is just in really bad shape. They are rebuilding schools and spending some on athletics, but they are digging out of a big hole.
  • Hook 'Em 1

See again my comment above:  central Austin, high property values, taxes out the ass, and a prominent high school can't fix the HVAC system and there are fucking raccoons falling from the ceiling. 
This is what I don't understand. How is this possible? AISD is giving so much money away to other districts that it can't even take care of itself?
That's like if you make a great living and income, but give away so much of it to the poor people across town, that they have nice new homes with modern designs and you have a leaky roof and broken AC and can't afford to modernize your 1950 3/2.
The problem seems to be in the filtering and giving away too much before basic budgeted necessities and upgrades are accounted for?

I suspect that there’s some element of “lots of things cost more in Austin than in Manor.” So, the dollars go farther in some districts.

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Austin passed a $2.4B bond last year on top of a $1 billion plus bond in 2017. The district is just in really bad shape. They are rebuilding schools and spending some on athletics, but they are digging out of a big hole.

They did - difference is this bond in Prosper is only for the stadium/athletics

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, on schools, and the concepts of being funded by property taxes and “property rich” v. “property poor” districts, here’s my thought for an “adjustment” that could help us make sense of things:

1) Consider average/total property values of RESIDENTIAL property values in a district to determine the base allocation to each district. Homes (and multifamily buildings used to provide residences) are the measure of “how many people are there to be served in the district.” And if we did that, I would bet that we’d be surprised how much the “property wealth” gap narrows between districts. The bucket of “residential property value” dollars per student in Frisco might be pretty similar to the dollars-per-student allocation in Austin, etc. At the very least, I think the spread would be a lot less than it currently is.

2) THEN, consider the value of business property as a separate bucket – maybe even a statewide bucket? Because those folks in Prosper and Frisco and Katy don’t generate the bulk of their income dollars in those places (sure, there ARE businesses there – mostly businesses that serve local populations, like groceries, Lowes, what have you). Rather, the economic engines – and the huge dollar value real properties – are in the cities. Those tall downtown office buildings have the valuation of several hundred homes (and yes, there’s also big outliers when it comes to industrial sites, like the big Dow plant in Brazoria county, the plants in Jefferson County). The point is – and maybe my proposal is – that non-residential properties should have their property taxes put in a single statewide pool to go to all schools on something like a per capita basis. With this element MAYBE subject to my third suggestion.

3) Those statewide dollars should be allocated on a per capita basis, ADJUSTED for local cost of living. Because a teacher can afford a place to live in Prosper and Sweetwater, and Tyler on $45k a year - they need more than that to afford a decent place in most cities. The purchase price of real property to build a new school is cheaper in those places than in Austin or Dallas. So, come up with some sort of “local costs” adjuster method, and apply that to the allocation of the collective state dollars.

Because ultimately, yes, it’s bullshit that suburban schools (with relatively lower total property values) can afford to build football palaces, whereas urban schools (in districts that are property rich because of the density and value of urban business properties) have leaky roofs and no AC.

Unfortunately, the suburban/rural vs. urban divide and hatefest in this state will prevent any examination of the issue along those lines. Our politicians will continue to favor the suburbs, and be at war with cities. And if the collateral damage is the kids who live in those urban areas, fuck ‘em.

Good post. Not sure if that's political feasible, not from the politics point of view, but complexity.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I suspect that there’s some element of “lots of things cost more in Austin than in Manor.” So, the dollars go farther in some districts.

I'm pretty sure it's not more expensive to returf a pock-marked soccer field in central Austin than it is to build a brand new football stadium replete with Jumbotron in Manor.

^^^ 

leonardo-dicaprio-clapping.gif

That said....once vouchers pass the legislature (they WILL pass, eventually)....don't let my comments discourage you from sending little Johnny to Brisketexan's EagleFreedomJesusGun Academy.  Our $20k per student tuition is GUARANTEED to provide you at least $5k of education quality, and $15k of sound administration by said Brisketexan, all while just playing PragerU videos or some shit for the entire class day.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lulz this is now the thread where the fascists that live in north Dallas come to defend the education system that they're trying to replace with vouchers because their public school teacher tried to teach Anne franks diary 

Do you call The Woodlands or Tomball North Houston?  Round Rock or Georgetown North Austin?  

These places aren't Dallas.  They aren't North Dallas.  

image.png.c3a6ad367afe6a5650bbead9788eead9.png

Whoa those Plano schools are 11th and 12th grade schools. I graduated from PSHS and my class was 1607. Those numbers are indicating 2500 per grade.

6,700 students? Gotdamn! Assume for simplicity's sake they are relatively evenly distributed across 4 classes, that's a Sr class of 1,675 students. Fuck going to that graduation ceremony, holy shit. 7% rule would get 117 students auto-admitted to UT Austin. 

1607 in our graduating class. Graduation was 2 hours. The processional into our seats at Texas stadium was 25 minutes. We had five students on the stage getting diplomas at any one point coming from both ends and exiting the middle.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

^^^ 

leonardo-dicaprio-clapping.gif

That said....once vouchers pass the legislature (they WILL pass, eventually)....don't let my comments discourage you from sending little Johnny to Brisketexan's EagleFreedomJesusGun Academy.  Our $20k per student tuition is GUARANTEED to provide you at least $5k of education quality, and $15k of sound administration by said Brisketexan, all while just playing PragerU videos or some shit for the entire class day.

I'll kick you back 20% for every kid you get to sign up for Dr. Canecutter's Miracle Brain Ancient Caucasian Leadership Domination Seminar Cartoon Story Hour. $10,000 a year and you can't afford NOT to have your child enrolled in this because their rivals including the brat kid of that bitch Becky at the school board are already unlocking our course's secrets.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

I'll kick you back 20% for every kid you get to sign up for Dr. Canecutter's Miracle Brain Ancient Caucasian Leadership Domination Seminar Cartoon Story Hour. $10,000 a year and you can't afford NOT to have your child enrolled in this because their rivals including the brat kid of that bitch Becky at the school board are already unlocking our course's secrets.

It's thinking like this that has a seat on our Board of Trustees reserved just for you.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Whoa those Plano schools are 11th and 12th grade schools. I graduated from PSHS and my class was 1607. Those numbers are indicating 2500 per grade.

1607 in our graduating class. Graduation was 2 hours. The processional into our seats at Texas stadium was 25 minutes. We had five students on the stage getting diplomas at any one point coming from both ends and exiting the middle.

I'm pretty sure the way the UIL does it is to count all 9-12 grade students who would be attending those campuses, including feeder schools if all grades were combined. They do it for the sake of fairness in competition in the classification system.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm pretty sure the way the UIL does it is to count all 9-12 grade students who would be attending those campuses, including feeder schools if all grades were combined. They do it for the sake of fairness in competition in the classification system.

that makes much more sense.

On 9/21/2023 at 2:29 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I'm convinced this state's priorities are as fucked up as possible, but I have to say, Bond proposals just means folks are willing to pay out of pocket for this shit, right? Show up and vote it in becuase they want that fancy ass stadium?  Shit, I don't blame the state, I blame the people. They fucking want it, and they will vote for it, but they probably pass it bigly while ignoring any funding that would go towards, you know, education. People get what they deserve. 

Absolutely. People should vote. If it passes then why should posters on an unrelated message board care?

This board is heavily populated with posters who complain about how inhospitable this state is, whilst the population balloons from people thrilled to move here. 

There’s a lot of frustrated posters here. Too much virtue to live here, not enough money to move to California or Colorado where they’d truly be happy. 

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

and yes, there’s also big outliers when it comes to industrial sites, like the big Dow plant in Brazoria county,

Yeah, there’s a half dozen plants there and both of the high schools suck relative ass (for today’s standards) and definitely don’t have great football facilities.  Been awhile since I’ve driven by Brazoswood but Brazosport has had the same field/bleachers for at least the last 35 years. Not super surprising as all of Freeport sucks.  Brazoswood had the same setup for at least 20+ years and likely still the same.   The big $$ they spent was a freshman only center that went in around ‘98 iirc.    Poor souls all get a huge head start on cancer and deal with buzzard sized mesquites and still don’t have fancy schools.  

8 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

This board is heavily populated with posters who complain about how inhospitable this state is, whilst the population balloons from people thrilled to move here. 

There’s a lot of frustrated posters here. Too much virtue to live here, not enough money to move to California or Colorado where they’d truly be happy. 

The good thing is they can get great deals on one-way moving truck rentals to the states they do like. 

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, bolverk said:

I *think* I found a way to find out how much a district receives from Robin Hood, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy list by district. From what I can gather from the TEA website, recapture dollars go into the Foundation School Program and then get allotted to the various districts.

I'm most familiar with school districts out in West Texas, so I picked one that I knew was property poor to see how much they get. Here are the results for Plainview where there's a rolling recalculation of around $31-32 million funds allotted to them.

image.png.40cbc89d838f1c5636063db0516df3d0.png

https://tealprod.tea.state.tx.us/fsp/Payments/Ledger.aspx?district=095905&year=2024&ledger=1&data=1

But if you change the drop-down menu to "recapture," you get this error message:

image.png.ac6c637c979ef5eacac77bda0b91c1b2.png

It'd be a huge pain in the ass to check all the districts, but if I'm understanding it correctly, this is how you can check individual districts.

Prosper doesn't pay in.

image.png.e846e1339bb52e8362859ab54c5679d2.png

But they appear to receive more than $100 million.

image.png.b8163b2f98d18c9d8d728a0a78f131f4.png

https://tealprod.tea.state.tx.us/fsp/Payments/Ledger.aspx?district=043912&year=2024&ledger=1&data=1

This made for some interesting fact finding.  I used the link to look at some different school districts.  Thanks, bolverk, for finding and posting this.  94 million boggles the mind for a HS venue.  I guess it is true, "everything bigger in Texas".  Plus, this addendum..."including the debt".

Foundation School Program - Payment Ledger (state.tx.us)

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1