What do ya' think about this.........

Bevo&Pevo

It's been a hot minute since I lived in Texas, so this story prompted me to pull up Prosper on Google Maps just to see exactly where it was.  The city limit lines on Google Maps show seven distinct carve-outs excluding small areas from the city limits, and really only two of the seven are on the edge of the (otherwise) normal boundaries (three if you count the road leading to a nursery being also carved out).  How can there be that much political pull in a town that small?  Maybe the same way they are getting a $94M football stadium...

Also, $94M?!?  North Texas' stadium opened in 2011, so not that long ago, and cost $78M per Wikipedia.  It seats just shy of 31K in its current configuration.  Just how popular are the Prosper Eagles?

I know that at least some of the cost of the stadium is related to the new higher cost of materials, but reading the article, it didnt mention ANYWHERE about the stadium also doubling as a civic center and/or classrooms, which is one of the reasons that Allen were able to build their massive stadium which holds 18,000.

this fucking thing is only going to hold 8,000- which according to the article is a 4,000 seat REDUCTION on their existing stadium, which cost $53M and I believe its less than 15 years old.

thats just fucking bonkers.

• Rage+1 6

42 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I know that at least some of the cost of the stadium is related to the new higher cost of materials, but reading the article, it didnt mention ANYWHERE about the stadium also doubling as a civic center and/or classrooms, which is one of the reasons that Allen were able to build their massive stadium which holds 18,000.

this fucking thing is only going to hold 8,000- which according to the article is a 4,000 seat REDUCTION on their existing stadium, which cost $53M and I believe its less than 15 years old.

Change the way you think about it, they are trying to funnel money to select industries.  Oh the military wants 300 tanks, we'll give them 5000 and they will like it.  But those tanks have to be made in my state, by my brother in laws company which donates to my campaign, hires me as a consultant, and pays for my parent's retirement.   Or you get 0 tanks.

54 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

It's been a hot minute since I lived in Texas, so this story prompted me to pull up Prosper on Google Maps just to see exactly where it was.  The city limit lines on Google Maps show seven distinct carve-outs excluding small areas from the city limits, and really only two of the seven are on the edge of the (otherwise) normal boundaries (three if you count the road leading to a nursery being also carved out).  How can there be that much political pull in a town that small? 

How do you like Wimberley?

image.thumb.png.c1612065dda3ebc8ee6a227d726f56a6.png

IIRC, when they were preparing for an incorporation vote, they literally had people going into neighborhood and knocking on doors to survey people on how they'd vote if their property was in the city limits.  

And to your other question... the Prosper Eagles have made it to the regional finals in football 3-4 years in a row now.   And they've recently opened at least one new HS, so this is a shared stadium like Cypress, Katy, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I do like that this bond election is split into 4 separate propositions: https://prosperisdbond.net/

1.  New schools

2.  Technology

3.  Football stadium

4.  Performing arts center

Voting will be very interesting, in an area that is extremely MAGA.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's what I think:  my kids' old high school in Austin is infested with raccoons and the AC doesn't work in many classrooms, but I'm paying over $19K per year in property taxes so towns like Prosper and Manor have badass sports facilities.

"Coons? Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch, Momma just chase 'em off with a..." - Forrest Gump quote (clip.cafe)

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's what I think:  my kids' old high school in Austin is infested with raccoons and the AC doesn't work in many classrooms, but I'm paying over $19K per year in property taxes so towns like Prosper and Manor have badass sports facilities.

Is Prosper really getting recapture money?  My kids' schools are in similar shape, roaches infest the locker rooms, AC doesn't work in half the building currently and we're going to have to pass a $100MM bond to get those things fixed.  Infuriating 

North of 380 is growing like crazy-- Prosper and Celina is where all the early movers to Frisco in the late 90s and 2000's are going to a) sell their houses they bought $300k  for $1-2mm to the upwardly mobile minority community because of the past reputation of great public schools (you can see the tons of Indian food and Teslas in Frisco these days) and b) get a ton of land, acre, house for the comparative cheap. 

Coach Prime was an early investor of a ton of land in Prosper back when it was all horse pasture, I wonder if he held or made out well. Dude Perfect lives up there and Dak Prescott's mansion is up there.

Oh and their cafeterias look baller:

image.png.39b761f51dbd47ce5ba2ddca5bd25fef.png

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look, I get high school football.  I like high school football.

Building fucking palaces like that while schools are literally falling apart is one of the most morally indefensible things happening in my state now (and it's not a new thing).  That Melissa stadium is fucking obscene, and is a monument to misplaced values and priorities.  But, you know....Texas gonna Texas.

The juxtaposition of having portable buildings and a $34M football stadium directly behind them, is just amazing. Tells you all you need to know about our "education" system.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Prime’s prep academy they got shut down was in prosper. 

and, prosper isn’t far from Melissa so not sure why there’s a 3x price tag for a similar structure at a similar time in a similar location. 

other than the obvious no-bid brother’s company type reason. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

How do you like Wimberley?

image.thumb.png.c1612065dda3ebc8ee6a227d726f56a6.png

IIRC, when they were preparing for an incorporation vote, they literally had people going into neighborhood and knocking on doors to survey people on how they'd vote if their property was in the city limits.  

And to your other question... the Prosper Eagles have made it to the regional finals in football 3-4 years in a row now.   And they've recently opened at least one new HS, so this is a shared stadium like Cypress, Katy, etc.  

They have three high schools and 4 middle schools right now. If this bond passes, they'll have 5 high schools and 8 or 9 middle schools. Probably do need a second stadium. probably don't need a $95M one though.....

• Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Prime’s prep academy they got shut down was in prosper. 

and, prosper isn’t far from Melissa so not sure why there’s a 3x price tag for a similar structure at a similar time in a similar location. 

other than the obvious no-bid brother’s company type reason. 

Have a family member who is renting out new builds in Melissa and making a killing. Apparently it's so far north that even 5 years ago nobody was considering it but he was prescient. You would be shocked how much it is to rent a single family home in Melissa. It's almost Plano prices and it's in South Oklahoma dang near.

I read yesterday Melissa will have the unique distinction of being the only city in Texas with two Texas-based, cult-brands: Buccee's and H-E-B (coming).

1 minute ago, KCMasterpieceof said:

I read yesterday Melissa will have the unique distinction of being the only city in Texas with two Texas-based, cult-brands: Buccee's and H-E-B (coming).

Que? There are plenty of cities that have both from as big a city as Houston on down to El Campo (is that small Buccee's still there?).

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Que? There are plenty of cities that have both from as big a city as Houston on down to El Campo (is that small Buccee's still there?).

Yep, I'm sorry I'm wrong. I misread. "North Texas" not "Texas". From the Dallas Morning News:

Melissa Mayor Jay Northcut said residents “are more than ready for more opportunities to stay local when shopping.” The population has grown to 24,500 from 9,600 in 2016 when Northcut said he was first on the city council.

The addition of H-E-B gives Melissa the distinction of having the only H-E-B and Buc-ee’s — two Texas homegrown brands — across from each other in North Texas, he said. “It’s clear that they are the type of partner that we want in our town.”

H-E-B owns 43 acres — most of it on the east side of U.S. 75 just north of Highway 121 and next to Buc-ee’s. A developer is building apartments behind the store. H-E-B also owns a 4-acre strip on the west side of U.S. 75. Kroger just started construction on a store in Melissa on the north side of State Highway 121 between Liberty Way and Washington Drive. It’s expected to open before H-E-B in late 2024.

I'm convinced this state's priorities are as fucked up as possible, but I have to say, Bond proposals just means folks are willing to pay out of pocket for this shit, right? Show up and vote it in becuase they want that fancy ass stadium?  Shit, I don't blame the state, I blame the people. They fucking want it, and they will vote for it, but they probably pass it bigly while ignoring any funding that would go towards, you know, education. People get what they deserve. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm convinced this state's priorities are as fucked up as possible, but I have to say, Bond proposals just means folks are willing to pay out of pocket for this shit, right? Show up and vote it in becuase they want that fancy ass stadium?  Shit, I don't blame the state, I blame the people. They fucking want it, and they will vote for it, but they probably pass it bigly while ignoring any funding that would go towards, you know, education. People get what they deserve. 

What will be interesting is that there is another bond for a Fine Arts center on the same ballot. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I do like that this bond election is split into 4 separate propositions: https://prosperisdbond.net/

1.  New schools

2.  Technology

3.  Football stadium

4.  Performing arts center

Voting will be very interesting, in an area that is extremely MAGA.

3 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

What will be interesting is that there is another bond for a Fine Arts center on the same ballot. 

Another poster pointed out how they're broken up. See above for my predictions on what passes.

• Haha 1

Is anyone on this board living in a school district that, "does it right"?

That is obviously subjective, but everywhere I have lived(several different states) has pretty much been a shitshow in some way or another for facilities/costs/educational outcome.  My involvement/first hand knowledge was very low between school days and kids going to school so definite blindspot there.

Just now, Incredulity said:

That is obviously subjective, but everywhere I have lived(several different states) has pretty much been a shitshow in some way or another for facilities/costs/educational outcome.  My involvement/first hand knowledge was very low between school days and kids going to school so definite blindspot there.

I live in Allen and they seem to do pretty good. I go to about 150 different school campuses so I see a pretty broad range, but Allen is the only one where I go to the elementary schools. From what I've seen of McKinney, they do a pretty good job as well.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I live in Allen and they seem to do pretty good. I go to about 150 different school campuses so I see a pretty broad range, but Allen is the only one where I go to the elementary schools. From what I've seen of McKinney, they do a pretty good job as well.

Isn't Allen the city that wrote into it's laws to only have 1 highschool (for football prowess purposes) and now it's so large it has Freshman A, B, C and D teams and a Marching Band that's larger than most smaller towns highschools with an 8 figure commercial kitchen for home-ec?

This is from 2018. I'm sure it's just gotten larger. All in the service of being a juggernaut in high school football:

Allen has nearly 6,700 students from 9th to 12th grade -- the largest high school in the state by 1,000 students -- and one of the largest in the nation.

Edited by KCMasterpieceof

24 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Nope.  Just Texas.

/s Surly

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, KCMasterpieceof said:

Isn't Allen the city that wrote into it's laws to only have 1 highschool (for football prowess purposes) and now it's so large it has Freshman A, B, C and D teams and a Marching Band that's larger than most smaller towns highschools with an 8 figure commercial kitchen for home-ec?

Yeah. That's the one. I don't know if it's a law or anything. I don't think it was specifically to be a football powerhouse though. As far as I know, their football is set up like most schools. Varsity, Non varsity and 9th grade

The decision on being a 1 HS town predates me, but from the olds I know, I think they just wanted to keep it that way. Part of it was that Allen ISD was pretty much fully build out about a decade ago, so starting about 2 years ago, the student population is getting lower.

9 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Yeah. That's the one. I don't know if it's a law or anything. I don't think it was specifically to be a football powerhouse though. As far as I know, their football is set up like most schools. Varsity, Non varsity and 9th grade

The decision on being a 1 HS town predates me, but from the olds I know, I think they just wanted to keep it that way. Part of it was that Allen ISD was pretty much fully build out about a decade ago, so starting about 2 years ago, the student population is getting lower.

Allen HS got up to 7,100 last year.

image.png.c3a6ad367afe6a5650bbead9788eead9.png

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/22_24_Rank_1_26.pdf

10 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This just doesn't seem like a very healthy way to educate kids, more like a cattle call. I wonder what the Student:Teacher ratio is, maybe Allen just employs a third of the teachers in North Texas:

Sophomores streamed into the doors of the Performing Arts Center, greeted by a cadre of upperclassmen. Once in, the new students were briskly walked through the intricacies of their school.

What's unique is the size of the sophomore class: 1,850 students -- which, standing alone, would be larger than two-thirds of the high schools in Texas.

"If you see the halls when everyone's here, it's packed -- wall to wall," sophomore Callie Heeb said. "I don't know how I'm going to get to my classes in five minutes, because there's so many people in here."

Allen is massive by design.

17 minutes ago, KCMasterpieceof said:

This is from 2018. I'm sure it's just gotten larger. All in the service of being a juggernaut in high school football:

6,700 students? Gotdamn! Assume for simplicity's sake they are relatively evenly distributed across 4 classes, that's a Sr class of 1,675 students. Fuck going to that graduation ceremony, holy shit. 7% rule would get 117 students auto-admitted to UT Austin. 

1 minute ago, KCMasterpieceof said:

This just doesn't seem like a very healthy way to educate kids, more like a cattle call. I wonder what the Student:Teacher ratio is, maybe Allen just employs a third of the teachers in North Texas:

I can't remember where I read or heard it, but I don't think I'm making this up. Anyway, years ago, I read/heard that 1,500 is pretty much the ideal size for a high school in that it's large enough to teach all the AP classes, but small enough so that students can still get the individualized attention they need for a quality education.

I don't know if that's a general rule of thumb or whether any actual research into it, but the number feels about right.

4 minutes ago, KCMasterpieceof said:

16:1  (Plano is 14, Frisco is 17) so about the same as other districts close by.

I get why some people wouldn't care for such a large school. It's going to be pretty hard for most kids to make varsity. But they also are able to offer a bunch of classes that smaller schools couldn't.  I mean, they have an Archery and a Hockey team.

6 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

It's been a hot minute since I lived in Texas, so this story prompted me to pull up Prosper on Google Maps just to see exactly where it was.  The city limit lines on Google Maps show seven distinct carve-outs excluding small areas from the city limits, and really only two of the seven are on the edge of the (otherwise) normal boundaries (three if you count the road leading to a nursery being also carved out).  How can there be that much political pull in a town that small?  Maybe the same way they are getting a $94M football stadium...

Also, $94M?!?  North Texas' stadium opened in 2011, so not that long ago, and cost $78M per Wikipedia.  It seats just shy of 31K in its current configuration.  Just how popular are the Prosper Eagles?

Starting in 2019, the Legislature made it pretty damned impossible for cities to annex neighboring unincorporated areas.  So you have fast-growing cities like Prosper that maybe had a plan to annex those donut holes, but those boundaries are now forever frozen.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

And that's the product of recapture, which has now simply become a scheme to enrich exurban schools at the expense of rural and urban/inner-suburban schools.

And No-CR, but this is exactly why you see rural Republicans and urban/inner-suburban Democrats together in opposing the school-voucher scheme that Abbott and Patrick are going to push through in the next special session.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Jameslaw121 said:

16:1  (Plano is 14, Frisco is 17) so about the same as other districts close by.

I get why some people wouldn't care for such a large school. It's going to be pretty hard for most kids to make varsity. But they also are able to offer a bunch of classes that smaller schools couldn't.  I mean, they have an Archery and a Hockey team.

Yea, I just read this part about Allen which I think could be pretty cool for the right students who care about this stuff:

Given the gargantuan size of the high school, there are plenty of niches for students to find their community, from its national-champion competitive shooting club to its cinema appreciation club, from its 700-plus member band, the Escadrille, to the paintball club.

And just like with its athletics programs, the school district doesn't shy away from putting resources behind its other extracurricular activities.

In the same 2009 school bond that funded the construction of its elaborate football stadium, Allen also built a 1,500-seat performing arts center. Two years later, it opened an expansive career and technology center addition, with its own student-run restaurant and retail store.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I can't remember where I read or heard it, but I don't think I'm making this up. Anyway, years ago, I read/heard that 1,500 is pretty much the ideal size for a high school in that it's large enough to teach all the AP classes, but small enough so that students can still get the individualized attention they need for a quality education.

I don't know if that's a general rule of thumb or whether any actual research into it, but the number feels about right.

That sounds like what what Frisco ISD is trying to do. I know they have issues covering all the classes they need too. Some kids get bussed to a different school for some of them. Don't know if that is because of the school size or just because of how quickly it grew out there. They basically opened a high school almost every year for 10 years. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Starting in 2019, the Legislature made it pretty damned impossible for cities to annex neighboring unincorporated areas.  So you have fast-growing cities like Prosper that maybe had a plan to annex those donut holes, but those boundaries are now forever frozen.

And that's the product of recapture, which has now simply become a scheme to enrich exurban schools at the expense of rural and urban/inner-suburban schools.

And No-CR, but this is exactly why you see rural Republicans and urban/inner-suburban Democrats together in opposing the school-voucher scheme that Abbott and Patrick are going to push through in the next special session.

Anyone have a list of what districts pay in or receive from that?

31 minutes ago, bolverk said:

That seems reasonable. I teach at a school that has around 1,800 students and we're big enough to field strong clubs/organizations/sports (except that our football team can't play a lick of defense), and we offer nearly every type of AP class. But we're still small enough where all the faculty knows each other and it still feels like a nurturing community.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

That sounds like what what Frisco ISD is trying to do. I know they have issues covering all the classes they need too. Some kids get bussed to a different school for some of them. Don't know if that is because of the school size or just because of how quickly it grew out there. They basically opened a high school almost every year for 10 years. 

A quick search led to this list from a couple of years ago.

https://www.txsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-Total-Recapture-per-District-by-Amount.pdf

image.thumb.png.5345286023270cae4bd36feaae8287f3.png

3 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

That seems reasonable. I teach at a school that has around 1,800 students and we're big enough to field strong clubs/organizations/sports (except that our football team can't play a lick of defense), and we offer nearly every type of AP class. But we're still small enough where all the faculty knows each other and it still feels like a nurturing community.

Thank you for your service.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I don't have a list of schools that receive funds, although you can find information about who is paying in here:  chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.txsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/2022-Total-Recapture-per-District-by-Amount.pdf   (Not sure if this will work without a pdf reader built into your browser.). No shock as to who is on top, and with a bullet.  The list is basically inner cities and rural areas, with a couple of suburban communities with small payments because they fucked up their math. 

Most suburban school districts rig the system (Allen is one of them) to ensure they don't pay recapture.  You can bet your ass Allen received recapture money back when they built their own palatial football stadium (which now seems quaint compared to some of these disgusting projects being built today).  You can't pull off a bond for a stadium if you don't have basic services covered, and recapture made that happen for these districts.   Like other similarly grotesque suburban communities, once the growth pushed them into a potential recapture situation, they massaged their property taxes to ensure it didn't happen.   So, while roundabout, the poor inner-city kids in Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc. are still propping up these absolutely stupid suburban districts so that upper-middle-class, mostly white, mostly evangelical, future frat and sorority kids can go to school in structures nicer than most universities while kids in the cities fight off raccoons and don't have air conditioning.  This state is completely fucked, and the only people who don't seem to see it live in the suburbs around major cities.  But it's easy to think things are peachy keen when your lifestyle is being subsidized by others and sanctioned by state leadership.  It's going to be interesting to watch these communities lose their shit when vouchers get passed and there is no money for their overgrown systems.  Half those suburban kids will end up in Jesus school.  Welcome to the party.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

What I'm more interested in is the districts that receive recapture funds, and the amount.

Harder to track that down than who pays.  Wonder why?

Even if a district doesn't receive funding, it may still be subsidized.  Most of the affluent suburbs rig their tax structure to ensure they don't pay recapture themselves (after having been propped up by recapture for a couple of decades).  While I don't blame them for playing by the extremely crooked and fucked up rules that are in place, it still sucks.

What’s interesting is that Frisco built Memorial Stadium in 1986 when there was one high school.
There are now 12( I think) 5A high schools. Guess how many new football stadiums FISD has built since?

Zero. They entered public/private deals with the Cowboys and FC Dallas to use their facilities for athletics, graduations and a bunch of other FISD events.