2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Jayden Daniels and JJ McCarthy are my answers for most overrated 

Not sure how I feel about Jayden.  He's got the size and athleticism to be really special, but his accuracy on out routes and shallow crosses raises some concerns.  

I think JJ is seemingly easier to project.  To me, he reads like a really good back-ups.  Perhaps a mid-tier starter in the right system.  One that doesn't ask him to do much more than being a "game manager". 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Not sure how I feel about Jayden.  He's got the size and athleticism to be really special, but his accuracy on out routes and shallow crosses raises some concerns.  

I think JJ is seemingly easier to project.  To me, he reads like a really good back-ups.  Perhaps a mid-tier starter in the right system.  One that doesn't ask him to do much more than being a "game manager". 

Poor man’s Colt McCoy

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Jayden doesn't throw over the middle or hang in the pocket on third downs, two things that are required to be good in the NFL 

McCarthy seems like drafting Brock Purdy in the top five 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Jayden doesn't throw over the middle or hang in the pocket on third downs, two things that are required to be good in the NFL 

I posted a highlight waaay upthread where Daniels had two guys open at the goal line but held on to the ball and ended up checking down to a releasing RB instead. I was wondering WTF he was looking at. 

In the Florida game all of his highlights are deep throws, checkdowns, or scrambles. No middle or sideline throws.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

I posted a highlight waaay upthread where Daniels had two guys open at the goal line but held on to the ball and ended up checking down to a releasing RB instead. I was wondering WTF he was looking at. 

In the Florida game all of his highlights are deep throws, checkdowns, or scrambles. No middle or sideline throws.

Here's a good read

https://sports.yahoo.com/jayden-daniels-nfl-draft-stock-has-risen-more-than-anyone-but-will-he-live-up-to-it-021631977.html

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Poor man’s Colt McCoy

40 minutes ago, Fud said:

Lol, these were the exact two comparisons that came to mind when I was typing the post...but JJ definitely has a higher douche quotient.  

On 3/21/2024 at 8:18 AM, Fud said:

Brugler says Marshawn Kneeland is his pick for a surprise first rounder

That's a surprise... have read concerns about his athleticism.   Kneeland is definitely a high motor guy -- doubt he gets out of the 2nd Rd undrafted.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:48 AM, Fud said:

Thanks for saying this... I too have doubts either of these QBs deserve 1st Rd grades.

Missed the QB Combine session, so I need to go back and watch more videos.  Are there any other QBs in this draft that have taken snaps under center besides McCarthy??

I’d take Rattler over both JJ and Daniels.  Maybe it should go in the unpopular opinion thread, but I bet Spencer has a much better career than either.  He will probably go to a better run franchise and be able to sit for a year or two, all without the pressure of being a top 10 pick.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I’d take Rattler over both JJ and Daniels.  Maybe it should go in the unpopular opinion thread, but I bet Spencer has a much better career than either.  He will probably go to a better run franchise and be able to sit for a year or two, all without the pressure of being a top 10 pick.  

Playing on a shitty Cocks team made Rattler better.   He needs the right team to draft him, sit him at least a year, and he has a chance to be an NFL starter.  ATL is possibly one team for Rattler to end up with.  

On 3/19/2024 at 11:10 AM, Bateshorn said:

This. Given the deadmoney hit they just took and everything else, the Broncos are in full tank now mode.  

I hope you're right.  I want a another Manning Broncos jersey

On 3/23/2024 at 12:29 AM, LTtxfan said:

Playing on a shitty Cocks team made Rattler better.   He needs the right team to draft him, sit him at least a year, and he has a chance to be an NFL starter.  ATL is possibly one team for Rattler to end up with.  

Rattler is a perfect 4th round pick.  He might just pan out and become something special, because he's had to play in hero mode most of college, but if he doesn't, it's not that big a deal.  A team that can afford to make him 3rd string and let him grip it and rip it a bit in preseason to see if it will pan is the ideal location. 

Probably just smoke and mirrors, we see lots of odd reports leading up to the draft as either a game, or some sort of way to incite trades.  I really don't see McCarthy as a franchise QB  in the NFL, but if anyone was going to believe in that, I guess Washington would be dumb enough to pull the trigger. 

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Probably just smoke and mirrors, we see lots of odd reports leading up to the draft as either a game, or some sort of way to incite trades.  I really don't see McCarthy as a franchise QB  in the NFL, but if anyone was going to believe in that, I guess Washington would be dumb enough to pull the trigger. 

Along with the teams in this draft (probably Arizona trying to drive up value) trying to create draft value, the NFL pushes the team with the #2 pick to play a part in creating drama for the draft by not showing their hand. They did this with Houston. 

Keep in mind there's a reason most of these teams are drafting early and it isn't because they make good decisions. ;)

Chicago is kind of the exception thanks to that ridiculous trade with Carolina. I have a feeling we'll be seeing the Panthers picking early for many years to come.

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I could see it being true with how Washington's new ownership group and management are going about things with a culture forward approach.

Matt Miller's 7 round mock is very Texas friendly - 8 of the first 84 picks, 9 picks overall:

15. Murphy - Indianapolis

28. Mitchell - Buffalo

32. Worthy - Kansas City

54. Sweat - Cleveland

56. Brooks - Dallas

69. Sanders - LA Chargers

81. Ford - Seattle

84. Jones - Pittsburgh

240. Whittington - Carolina

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, someguy said:

Matt Miller's 7 round mock is very Texas friendly - 8 of the first 84 picks, 9 picks overall:

15. Murphy - Indianapolis

28. Mitchell - Buffalo

32. Worthy - Kansas City

54. Sweat - Cleveland

56. Brooks - Dallas

69. Sanders - LA Chargers

81. Ford - Seattle

84. Jones - Pittsburgh

240. Whittington - Carolina

I could see the first 5 picks around there.

That Ford pick seems way too high. I can’t see him going in the third. 

Sanders early third also seems a little high after his poor testing and being undersized. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Not as Longhorn friendly as some previous mock drafts.

I still can’t believe that Penix isn’t seen as a 1st round QB.

That last quarter of the Michigan game was eye opening.  If you give him a clean pocket and time, he's Mark Rypien and will tear you to shreds.  If he has to do it on the go/underpressure, he's also Mark Rypien and his game falls apart pretty quick. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

That last quarter of the Michigan game was eye opening.  If you give him a clean pocket and time, he's Mark Rypien and will tear you to shreds.  If he has to do it on the go/underpressure, he's also Mark Rypien and his game falls apart pretty quick. 

For other Mark Rypien comparisons see:

EWERS, QUINN

On 3/21/2024 at 7:48 AM, Fud said:

After watching above video... Jayden may not last more than a few years as a starting QB in the NFL 

35 minutes ago, The Dog said:

hot takes coming in fast:

Dallas Turner is about to be the most fined & suspended rookie in the NFL.

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

After watching above video... Jayden may not last more than a few years as a starting QB in the NFL 

After watching the video, I am thinking that Jayden is going to be glad that he no longer plays college football, because QBs are much more protected in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

After watching the video, I am thinking that Jayden is going to be glad that he no longer plays college football, because QBs are much more protected in the NFL.

That is more than offset by the fact that NFL players are much bigger, faster, stronger and hit harder than college players. 

WRT mock drafts, and projections, on Klatt’s podcast, Klatt said, “if a player is being projected in the same round by everyone, for example- the third round, he will go higher in the actual draft. If he is being projected all over the place, he’ll go low”. 

4 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

Oh, like CJ Stroud?

Exactly. Who wasn’t nervous about him given how Ohio St QBs had fared in the NFL? I’m sure today everyone will say it was obvious he was a better passer than Bryce Young and will provide their 2022-2023 message board receipts to prove it. CJ apparently was an accurate QB that could’ve hit tight windows but didn’t need to in college. 

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Exactly. Who wasn’t nervous about him given how Ohio St QBs had fared in the NFL? I’m sure today everyone will say it was obvious he was a better passer than Bryce Young and will provide their 2022-2023 message board receipts to prove it. CJ apparently was an accurate QB that could’ve hit tight windows but didn’t need to in college. 

I thought Stroud would be a bust due to the long string of OSU busts and feeling like he'd been relatively untested in college with an A Team of WRs at his disposal. Whoops.

Bryce Young seemed/seems obvious due to his size and injury history. "But he's a winner!!". Right. 

• Hook 'Em 1