2024 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Worthy seems to have been rising while Adonai has been falling this week, per the betting markets. Both could easily go tonight

Can't coach speed... if a team falls in love with that than Worthy might end up in 1st Rd

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize that LTtxfan may be too dense to follow what's going on with that unfunny attempt at creating a funny mock draft, but come on, man.

Well, in my defense, I'm on the football board so I just assume every hot take brought forward is from a window licking, mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, drooling imbecile.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think a "Draft 20XX: Booms, Mehs, & Busts" would be a good thread every year where people log their picks. Problem is that I might be the only one thinks that, I guess.

Anyway, in lieu of that, here are my thoughts on booms and busts, based on watching many of these guys for years and not giving a shit what NFL scouts think:

Busts:

- Malik Nabers - I've been mocking the views on this guy for years. That probably makes me an idiot since he's been so productive, especially this past year. I think that's a byproduct of his QB more than this guy being a uniquely talented player. I heard a draft guru this morning say that Nabers is the most explosive player in this draft with amazing stop and start skills. He's assumed to be a top 10 pick and I don't see Jamarr Chase. I think this guy posts pedestrian numbers in the pros.

- Brian Thomas - Whatever my biases are against the hype for Nabers, they're more exaggerated for his teammate. This guy should not be a first round pick.

- JJ McCarthy - We've hashed it up thread, but I think the idea of this guy going in the first round, much less the top 5, is absolutely absurd. He's a byproduct of hype from his former coach, the silly notion of the Next Tom Brady, and being a game manager of a national title winner. Jay Barker has to be nearly comatose in a state of shock that he missed his window by 32 years. AJ McCarron has to be seething somewhere. Greg McElroy was recently seen handing out his resume and highlight tapes at a scouting happy hour.

- Dallas Turner - Take a look at his sophomore year and those are the numbers I expect for his first 3 years in the league. This guy is a loafing piece of shit unless he needs to get paid or he has a defenseless QB in his line of sight. I have to assume suspensions are going to impact his output as well.

- Terrion Arnold - The Saban Effect is the primary driver for the love affair for this guy. I have heard scout after scout laud his willingness to get involved in the running game and his pass deflections while poo-pooing the fact that he spent his entire career getting picked on at Bama while McKinstry patrolled the other side of the field.

- Xavier Legette - He can't run routes for shit. He has injury issues. He had one good season in college as one of the oldest guys on the field. Him being mentioned near the first round is a joke. 

Booms:

- Caleb Williams - I think he puts his off-field baby bullshit aside and gives the Bears the dominant QB player they have need for so long. 

- Marvin Harrison Jr - This guy is getting knocked more than Jack Tripper's front door and it makes no sense. This is the best WR in the draft and will be an annual pro bowler.

- Brock Bowers - I think he's the purest football player in the draft. He's tough, fast, hard-working, has great hands and will be a force against conventional match-ups. 

- Jared Verse - The opposite of Dallas Turner in every way. I think he'll be a standout.

- Jer'Zhan Newton - Maybe it's because I only watched 3-4 Illinois games last year, but in each one this guy was a disruption on the field on damned near every drive. He should be drafted around Murphy's pick yet I've seen him much lower. 

- Payton Wilson - Similar to Newton, I felt like every game I saw with this guy in it, he was making plays and the offense had to worry about him constantly. 

I haven't followed the draft nearly as much as I used to, but I'll throw my hat in the ring because even the experts are mainly just throwing shit at the wall, especially since we don't know what teams these guys will go to or how they will be utilized. I'm also adding some deep cuts for guys who won't go first round but will be really good. 

Boom:

• Joe Alt: Projects as a HOF OL. Reminds me of Joe Thomas. 
  • Cooper DeJean: He had an injury so he missed the combine, but he went crazy at his pro day with a 9.89 RAS, and his film is crazy good. He has instincts and makes plays. If CB doesn't work out, then he'll still be a hit at safety or nickel. 
  • Byron Murphy: He still has a ton of room left before he hits his ceiling, and I expect him to keep progressing like he has at Texas.
  • Graham Barton: Not expecting him to be a HOFer, but he'll be a Pro Bowler somewhere on the OL. It's not clear if he can stick at OT yet, but he could easily move inside and be a great G or C, and he gives the added benefit of being able to plug in at all 5 spots in a pinch so he creates depth in your OL room. 
  • Jonathan Brooks: He's falling because of the injury, but all reports are he's progressing nicely. Some team is getting a first rounder on the second day. 
  • Brock Bowers: He's the best TE in college probably ever, and teams nowadays will know how to utilize him. 10-15 years ago he might not work out nearly as well because they'd stick him inline only and his lack of size and blocking would hurt him. 

Bust:

• Jayden Daniels: Maybe he comes in and has a Lamar-like impact because his game finds a way to translate to the NFL, but I don't see it. Lamar has always been elite throwing over the middle and showed more ability to progress through reads. Daniels reads one, then scrambles. He takes a ton of sacks, despite being an elite scrambler, takes hard hits when running, and ignoring the middle of the field won't work in the NFL. On top of that, he didn't break out until Year 5 in college, and it was in a system that doesn't translate to the NFL.  He's going to a terrible spot in either Washington or New England. Those franchises are not going to set him up for success. 
  •  Dallas Turner: Same as others have said
  • Tyler Guyton: Maybe it's just my anti-OU bias, but I've never seen it with him, and I think people are overrating his potential. 

Deep Cuts: 

• Cole Bishop: He was great at Utah, showed really good instincts, tackled well, etc. Then he went and put up an elite RAS of 9.86, including running a 4.45 at 6'2, 206.
  • Johnny Wilson: He's 6'6, 230 with a 4.1 shuttle, 37 inch vert and an elite broad jump and his film shows him getting separation and making a ton of contested catches. I have no idea why he's so far down so many draft experts WR rankings. 
  • Kris Jenkins: He was a monster at Michigan who can impact the run and the pass. I think he'll outperform his draft spot. 
  • Malik Washington, WR UVA: He reminds me of Zay Flowers, but will probably go in the 3rd round. He put up 111, 1384, 9 TDs in a terrible UVA offense where he was the only real weapon.
  • Ben Sinnott: He's a poor man's Brock Bowers and will be a great offensive weapon for a team in the 3rd round.  He had a 9.72 RAS, despite being below average for his size, which means all his testing numbers were elite. 
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

Bears should draft harrison jr or trade a couple of spots down for a qb hungry team 

No, they should draft the elite QB prospect and have a shot to win big in the four year rookie pay scale window 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bears should draft harrison jr or trade a couple of spots down for a qb hungry team 

[76]
1995 Erik Kramer (16) [77]
1996 Dave Krieg (12) / Erik Kramer (4) [78]
1997 Erik Kramer (13) / Rick Mirer (3) [79]
1998 Erik Kramer (8) / Steve Stenstrom (7) / Moses Moreno (1) [80]
1999 Shane Matthews (7) / Cade McNown (6) / Jim Miller (3) [81]
2000 Cade McNown (9) / Shane Matthews (5) / Jim Miller (2) [82]
2001 Jim Miller (13) / Shane Matthews (3) [83]
2002 Jim Miller (8) / Chris Chandler (7) / Henry Burris (1) [84]
2003 Kordell Stewart (7) / Chris Chandler (6)/ Rex Grossman (3) [85]
2004 Craig Krenzel (5) / Chad Hutchinson (5)/ Jonathan Quinn (3) / Rex Grossman (3) [86]
2005 Kyle Orton (15) / Rex Grossman (1) [87]
2006 Rex Grossman (16) [88]
2007 Rex Grossman (7) / Brian Griese (6) / Kyle Orton (3) [89]
2008 Kyle Orton (15) / Rex Grossman (1) [90]
2009 Jay Cutler (16) [91]
2010 Jay Cutler (15) / Todd Collins (1) [92]
2011 Jay Cutler (10) / Caleb Hanie (4) / Josh McCown (2) [93]
2012 Jay Cutler (15) / Jason Campbell (1) [94]
2013 Jay Cutler (11) / Josh McCown (5) [95]
2014 Jay Cutler (15) / Jimmy Clausen (1) [96]
2015 Jay Cutler (15) / Jimmy Clausen (1) [97]
2016 Matt Barkley (6) / Jay Cutler (5) / Brian Hoyer (5) [98]
2017 Mitchell Trubisky (12) / Mike Glennon (4) [99]
2018 Mitchell Trubisky (14) / Chase Daniel (2) [100]
2019 Mitchell Trubisky (15) / Chase Daniel (1) [101]
2020 Mitchell Trubisky (9) / Nick Foles (7) [102]
2021 Justin Fields (10) / Andy Dalton (6) / Nick Foles (1) [103]
2022 Justin Fields (15) / Trevor Siemian (1) / Nathan Peterman (1) [104]
2023 Justin Fields (13) / Tyson Bagent (4)

they have to hit on a QB

• Haha 1

Can’t wait for Dallas to reach on a project lineman that had a 3rd round grade that never plays a single down 

As much as I would love to see Brooks go to Dallas I actually have too much respect for him and would like to see him actually win

29 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Can’t wait for Dallas to reach on a project lineman that had a 3rd round grade that never plays a single down 

As much as I would love to see Brooks go to Dallas I actually have too much respect for him and would like to see him actually win

You Cowboy’s fans are something else with your expectations, they have won 12 games 3 years in a row.   You have won more than any other time in the last 25 years and complain like you win 8 games a year again.  Most teams haven’t won that much other than a very select few. Coming from a Bears fan I wish we could win 12 games.  lol 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

You Cowboy’s fans are something else with your expectations, they have won 12 games 3 years in a row.   You have won more than any other time in the last 25 years and complain like you win 8 games a year again.  Most teams haven’t won that much other than a very select few. Coming from a Bears fan I wish we could win 12 games.  lol 
12 wins 3 years in a row to equal one single wild card win against a losing record Tampa team is pretty pathetic. Go find me a team that has won that many regular season games in a 3 year span to be that bad in the playoffs. Not sure there is one. Zero difference in this vs the three straight years of 8-8. They all led to the same result.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Or we can draft another useless Michigan DL....Taco and Mazi. Not to mention the TE in the 2nd round last year from Michigan. Both of them contributed zero last year. 

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Or we can draft another useless Michigan DL....Taco and Mazi. Not to mention the TE in the 2nd round last year from Michigan. Both of them contributed zero last year. 

passing on tj watt still pisses me off

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
53 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

12 wins 3 years in a row to equal one single wild card win against a losing record Tampa team is pretty pathetic. Go find me a team that has won that many regular season games in a 3 year span to be that bad in the playoffs. Not sure there is one. Zero difference in this vs the three straight years of 8-8. They all led to the same result.

I’ll take 12 wins over 8 every day, also means the team isn’t that far off or they just play a shitty schedule.  Teams winning 8 games aren’t even close to competing.  If y’all win 8 games it’s if so and so didn’t get hurt we would be in the playoffs now or next year we will be good, it’s we suck because we win 12 games but can’t win a playoff game.  Truly the aggie fans of the nfl.  

IMG_3407.gif

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Blake Corum in the first seems ridiculous to me.

image.gif.38f365caf57880633abd9ee232ea4d20.gif

25 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Desmond Howard picked JJ McCarthy as the most NFL ready player in the draft and also as rookie of the year. Homer idiot. 

Herbie had AD as ROTY fwiw (not much).

Just when I thought I couldn’t take any more Kurt Warner, I saw this post. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Some mocks have the Steelers taking Guyton with their first pick. Or possibly the interior lineman from Duke. Offensive line needs tons of help.

Interior lineman in the 1st round?  Good luck with that strategy.

46 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Desmond Howard picked JJ McCarthy as the most NFL ready player in the draft and also as rookie of the year. Homer idiot. 

Herbie had AD as ROTY fwiw (not much).

Desmond Howard really isn't very bright and his takes usually suck.  Weak link on whatever broadcast he is on.

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

these player interviews are a great reminder of how dumb most of these guys are. 

So I take it you're skeptical about the term "scholar athlete"? 

What was the SEC school whose library burned down years ago and a rival coach suggested they ought to buy new coloring books? LSU?

23 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Penix - love this dude. I know he's old but he's the same age as Nix and is a much better QB who did more. Don't understand mock drafts that have Nix above him.

This makes me absolutely ragey. 

Nearly as ragey as seeing mock drafts that drop Penix because of his injury history, yet have Latu (who actually medically retired in 2020 because of his SPINE) in the top 20.

• Like 1