Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

Imagine the level of destruction required to search these buildings. You’ll have to destroy almost everything to have confidence they’re not hiding weapons or a tunnel entrance. “Sorry former middle class palestinian stuck between us and Hamas, you’re now traumatized, homeless and all your shit is destroyed. Please don’t go join Hamas.”

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not us, let the Israeli's do it. They would have the Kurds continue to hammer Iranian overland transport of troops and equipment. Tell the Kurds they can keep what they capture. 

Everything old is new again. Give them Letters of Marquis and let them go hunting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I watched Hamas unleash hell

The footage bore testament to an ancient hatred

https://unherd.com/2023/10/i-watched-hamas-unleash-hell/

Tel Aviv

A handsome man in his 20s in a military uniform zips past me on a motorised scooter. A woman with a tattoo and piercings calmly sips a cortado in a coffee shop across from me. A young family bustles past. This is Israel in 2023.

Like what you’re reading? Get the free UnHerd daily email

Already registered? Sign in

I am on my way to a screening of “raw” footage of the 7 October massacres that Hamas committed against Israeli civilians. Atrocities that are being denied and dismissed across social media and in parts of legacy media internationally. “In 2023 we are still dealing with holocaust denial,” says my contact in the IDF media unit. “This event is an attempt to put that right.” This is also Israel in 2023.

Devices were banned. No photos or recordings. It is, we are told, just too awful. And so it is that at 11:30 local time around 250 international journalists file into a military base in a Tel Aviv suburb. Hundreds of bottles of water are laid out. The staff are smiling and friendly.

I’ve never seen Israeli press officers so professional and slick and — indeed — charming. If this sounds glib, it’s not. This is a country that has traditionally favoured hard power above all else, often to the detriment of its messaging. Now they are desperate to show the world what they are facing.

The venue is a lecture hall with a large stage. “October 7th, 2023. Hamas Massacre. Collected Raw Footage.” is the title on a screen that covers the back wall. We are reminded again that no devices are allowed. There are issues around the anonymity of victims, especially those still alive, raped or taken hostage.

IDF spokesman Daniel Agari steps up to deliver some preliminary remarks. “We want people to understand what we are fighting for,” he says. “This is something else. Something has happened to Israel. This is not about rage or righteousness but the sense that this is a crime vs humanity. This is good v bad. Death v life. These [terrorists] will do anything. [commit any crime]. And it’s nothing to do with Islam,” he adds. It is a refrain I hear through the event. Clearly the word has come down to make a clear separation between Hamas, the wider Palestinians and, above all, with Islam.

What is also clear is the emotion. Agari is technically a media mouthpiece, but he veers into rhetoric. “Why did they strap GoPros to themselves? Why do they call the family of who they murdered? Because they are proud of what they did.”

He continues. “Rape — where is Islam? Burn — where is Islam? Behead — where is Islam?…They killed babies, old people, sick people…we won’t allow the world to forget who we are fighting. Hamas wants dead Gazans. You don’t take human shields; you don’t burrow under hospitals otherwise. This is Hamas not Palestinians.”

He steps off the stage. The footage starts: we see several Hamas terrorists sitting on the back of a truck as it enters Israel. They whoop and cheer. They fan into the street. Shooting at cars. They drag blood-drenched corpses out of vehicles onto the street. A female body is thrown onto the road. “Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!” They cry.

Terrorists fan into streets and across a roundabout. They have the run of the place. The security failures here are monumental. Some men enter a kibbutz. An Israeli civilian car pulls up and the driver leans left to speak to the guard he assumes is sitting in the checkpoint. A terrorist emerges from his right and shoots. Blood spatters the inside of the car. It smears the windshield.

The screen cuts to inside the kibbutz. The view is from a GoPro strapped to the body of a terrorist. His automatic rifles juts out just like they do on the screen in Call of Duty. This is deliberate; Isis did the same thing. It is the gamification of terror.

A dog appears, running eagerly toward him. He lowers the rifle and shots at the animal. It crumples to the ground. Strangely, of all the killings we see on screen over the course of that morning — and we see slaughter after slaughter — this gets the loudest gasp of revulsion.

I am, I realise, watching a montage of atrocity. And it gets worse. A terrified Israeli man in his underpants, and his two young children, also in underclothes, run screaming. Thugs clamber down from a lorry and throw a grenade into the cubby hole where they have taken refuge. The father’s body falls onto the ground covered in blood. Terrorists take the two children — covered in their father’s blood — into a room. “Daddy’s dead,” one screams to his brother. “It’s not a prank. He’s really dead. I wish I was dead! I wish I was dead!” he screams. Even within the litany of horror I’ve witnessed in my career this is horrifically unsettling.

A new scene depicts a man in a football shirt lying on the ground covered in blood. He moans in pain. A terrorist picks up a hoe and starts smashing him over the head — over and over and over again. “Allahu Akbar!” he screams, over and over and over again.

A dancing woman appears on screen. She is dressed in a crop top and tiny shorts, laughing and smiling. In the next scene, revellers are crouching on the ground as terrorists steam across the field. Partygoers run screaming. People are dragged from their cars. Bloodied corpses are thrown into the dirt while Hamas cheer and whoop.

I am watching a celebration of life alongside the fetishisation of death.

Some audio plays and a translation of the Arabic pops up on the screen as a Hamas terrorist calls his father: “Father, I killed 10 Jews! Check your WhatsApp! I sent you the photos! Father, I killed 10 Jews! I killed 10 Jews with my bare hands. check your WhatsApp. Father, be proud of me!”

I’m starting to lose all sense of time. A terrified, handcuffed female hostage is dragged out of a truck amid cheering crowds. We are shown images of the burned babies, so small you could cradle them in the crook of your arm. One journalist tells me the blanket it was swaddled in is one of those given to newborns.

The terrorists shoot indiscriminately – even at portaloos, which they then film, displaying blood spattered toilet seats with pride. In a final scene terrorists break into an office and spy a man cowering on the floor by a desk. They bark questions at him. They’re quizzing him on something — he starts to shout Allahu Akbar! But clearly, it’s not enough to satisfy them and they blow him away.

The sustained sadism stops, finally. And I wander outside to drink water and decompress. We are called back into a briefing from General Mickey Edelstein from Gaza command. “They came to kill and burn civilians. Not military personnel. Civilians,” he says. “I’ve been fighting Hamas for many years, but I honestly never thought they’d be this violent.”

He continues. “We told civilians to evacuate northern Gaza. Yes. [we go in] and there are civilian casualties. But we are not looking for kids to kill. We are not looking to kill hostages because they are not walking fast enough. We do not find kids and then force them to go and ask their neighbours to come out, and then when they do kill them.”

He moves onto less emotive ground. “We have evidence of Iranian involvement,” he says. “I cannot elaborate too much, but there are trained cells within Gaza.” Written instructions were discovered on captured and killed terrorists, he adds. This may have been an orgy of sadism and bloodlust, but it was also a planned military exercise.

A question comes in about the huge security lapse that allowed all this to happen. Edelstein lapses into thought. “We failed,” he says quietly. “We failed.”

The event ends. I leave and reflect on what we have seen. Those images are but one horrific event in a broader conflict that is tragic in the truest sense of the word because there are no good options. The occupation, the suffering of Gazan civilians, the endless, endless violence. Israel is responding, because it has a duty to — just like it has a duty to safeguard the life of Gazan civilians.

But something else is clear, too. Something that the footage confirmed. What happened on 7 October had nothing to do with resistance. It had nothing to do with occupation or a one or two-state solution. It was about something far more ancient and atavistic — the desire to kill Jews wherever they are and whoever they are. And against that there can be no retreat.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

Qatar’s War for Young American Minds

https://www.thefp.com/p/qatars-war-for-young-american-minds

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.ama
A student at Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar. The emirate has spent billions encouraging top U.S. colleges to build campuses in its “education city.” (Photo via Qatar Foundation)

Qatar’s War for Young American Minds

The same country now protecting Hamas’s senior leaders has donated billions to American universities. Here’s why.

By Eli Lake

October 24, 2023

Right now, senior leaders of Hamas, the perpetrators of the worst atrocity against Jews since the Holocaust, are huddled in Qatar. They’ve been there for years. But American foreign policy has turned a blind eye. Why? One reason might be that for the last 25 years, this small, energy-rich state has pumped billions into America to purchase influence and good favor. 

The Qataris have spent their lavish fortune at American law firms, on lobbying contracts with former senior officials, and on junkets and partnerships with big media companies. The biggest recipients of Qatari largesse, though, have been major universities and think tanks. 

The numbers are staggering. According to a 2022 study from the National Association of Scholars, Qatar today is the largest foreign donor to American universities. The study found that between 2001 and 2021, the petrostate donated a whopping $4.7 billion to U.S. colleges. The largest recipients are some of America’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning. These schools have partnered with the regime to build campuses in Doha’s “education city,” a special district of the capital that hosts satellite colleges for American universities: 

• Since 1997, Qatar has donated more than $103 million to Virginia Commonwealth University for a fine arts campus. 

• Since 2001, Qatar has donated $1.8 billion to Cornell for a medical school. 

• Since 2003, Qatar has donated nearly $700 million to Texas A&M for an engineering campus. 

• Since 2004, Qatar has donated $740 million to Carnegie Mellon University for a computer science campus. 

• Since 2005, Qatar has donated $760 million to Georgetown University for a school of politics. 

• Since 2008, Qatar has donated nearly $602 million to Northwestern University for a school of journalism. 

One might expect that scholarly institutions that have benefited from this autocracy’s money would rethink their partnership after Qatar’s foreign minister said that “Israel alone is responsible” for the pogrom perpetrated by Hamas terrorists. Or after Qatar’s prime minister on Friday declined to close the office Hamas maintains in its capital. But these universities have given no indication that they will end their profitable partnership with Qatar. 

All but one university on the list declined to comment on the future of their Doha campuses when contacted by The Free Press. Kelly Brown, a spokeswoman for Texas A&M, gave the following statement: 

Maintaining relationships with countries like Qatar serve a broader purpose, including fostering international dialogue and cooperation. Texas A&M’s relationship with Qatar is focused on educational and research activities, which contribute to the academic and intellectual development of both countries. That, in turn, hopefully will one day lead to peaceful resolutions rather than conflict. 

She added that Texas A&M has clear and transparent agreements with Qatar that accord with U.S. and international laws. “No public funds are spent toward the Qatar campus,” she said. 

Texas A&M building in Qatar. (Photo via Qatar Foundation)

In the last 25 years the universities have justified these joint ventures with Qatar as a way to liberalize an autocratic society and bring American soft power to the Middle East. Indeed, Qatari officials have themselves given lip service to this goal. 

In 2015, Hunter R. Rawlings III, who was Cornell’s president when it opened its medical school in “education city,” told The Washington Post: “Part of our thinking was, most American involvement in the Middle East has to do with guns and oil. This project seems to have to do with medicine and education. It’s such a different message. Why don’t we try it?” 

The reality, though, is much different. Many of these schools have had to compromise their values on their campuses in Doha. For example, in 2014 Qatar censored Love Comes Later, a romance novel set in London and Qatar written by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar, an English professor at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Doha campus. 

In some cases, the universities cooperated with Qatar’s strategic interests. The Qatar campus of Northwestern, whose U.S. journalism school is ranked as one of the best in the world, signed a memorandum of understanding with Al Jazeera, the Qatari-funded news channel that has provided a sympathetic platform for Hamas and other Islamist groups over the years, to help train its reporters. 

In 2013, Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim al-Thani, then director general of Al Jazeera, said of the new partnership: “Al Jazeera Network places the development of its team’s skills at the top of its priorities, to stay par with the great media-related feats Qatar has accomplished regionally and internationally.” 

But are Northwestern’s interests really aligned with Qatar? Al Jazeera aired a weekly program hosted by Muslim Brotherhood cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi between 1996 and 2013. Al-Qaradawi was denounced by the Anti-Defamation League in 2013—the same year that Northwestern signed its agreement with Al Jazeera—as the “theologian of terror.” In one 2009 sermon aired on the network, he said: “I will shoot Allah’s enemies, the Jews, and they will throw a bomb at me, and thus I will seal my life with martyrdom.” 

In 2015, Stephen Eisenman, who was then president of Northwestern’s faculty senate, concluded in a report on his school’s Doha campus that professors there enjoyed only “limited academic freedom.” He said this was not so much because professors feared the state’s strict censorship regime, but because they lacked tenure and were answerable only to the dean of Northwestern’s Qatar campus. 

Eisenman also acknowledged that “the ethics of establishing a campus in an authoritarian country are murky, especially when it inhibits free expression, and counts among its allies several oppressive regimes or groups.” 

That glancing reference to Qatar’s alliance with Hamas and Iran is the only mention of the state’s funding and support for political Islam. Eisenman concludes that countries that export oil and natural gas are bad for the environment and are often marred by “social and racial inequality.” Not to worry. Eisenman notes, “those characteristics describe the United States no less than Qatar and don’t prevent Northwestern from maintaining campuses in Evanston and Chicago.” 

Eisenman, now an emeritus professor, declined an interview request. In an email he told me, “Now more than ever, we need sincere efforts to achieve rapprochement between Muslims and Jews and between Palestinians and Israelis. If universities can help with this by means of educational exchanges, then I am all for them.” 

Charles Asher Small, executive director of the Institute for the Study of Global Anti-Semitism and Policy, told me the funding of universities by Qatar is part of a much larger effort to exert soft power in the West. His institute estimates that the regime holds between $750 billion to $1 trillion worth assets throughout the world. “They are investing in major Fortune 500 corporations, Heathrow Airport [in London], the Empire State Building,” he said. 

One reason why Qatar has been able to invest so much in American institutions is because U.S. foreign policy has embraced the country since the war on terror began after 9/11. Even though Qatar is aligned with Hamas, and to a lesser extent, Iran, it also hosts the Al Udeid Air Base. The Qataris are an important interlocutor between America and Iran. After President Biden’s chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan, Qatar agreed to process more Afghan refugees than any other Arab ally. Today Qatar holds the $6 billion in Iranian oil revenues that America unfroze in September and refroze after the October 7 Hamas pogrom. 

One of Qatar’s soft power aims is to advance the ideology of the Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist movement that spawned Hamas and the ruling party in Turkey. According to a 2021 analysis from the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, Qatar funds the International Union of Muslim Scholars, the clerical arm of the Brotherhood. In 2017 Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates imposed a trade and travel embargo on Qatar in response to its support of the Muslim Brotherhood. Doha’s embrace of political Islam is one factor that distinguishes it from its Gulf Arab neighbors who turned on the movement after the Arab Spring in 2010 and 2011.  

Small, of the Institute for the Study of Global Anti-Semitism and Policy, said one consequence of Qatar’s support for the Muslim Brotherhood in its soft power operation abroad was to make Israel toxic in Western political and intellectual discourse. “Their soft power is aimed at demonizing Israel as well as promoting anti-Western and anti-democratic discourse to weaken the West. Antisemitism is the fuel to light that fire,” Small said. 

Northwestern’s campus in Qatar. (Photo via Northwestern University)

If colleges think doing business with Qatar is worth the risk, they should pay closer attention to the story of the Brookings Institution. 

Until 2021, the highest profile recipient of Qatari money in Washington was the Brookings Institution. In 2013, it received a four-year, $14.8 million grant to help fund the Brookings Doha Center. Brookings received another four-year grant in 2017 from Qatar, but the exact amount is unknown. The think tank doesn’t provide the precise amount its foreign patrons provide. In 2021 the institute ended its relationship with the Doha Center, claiming it was focusing in the future on “digital and global engagement.” 

The closing of the Doha Center overlapped with an FBI investigation into retired Marine general John Allen, who was the president of Brookings between November 2017 and June 2022. Allen was forced out when the Associated Press disclosed the probe into Allen’s unregistered lobbying for Qatar. According to court papers, Allen pressed the White House to oppose the Saudi-led diplomatic blockade of Qatar, which the Trump administration initially supported. In January, the Justice Department closed the investigation into Allen and brought no charges. 

While Brookings has ended its relationship with Qatar, other think tanks remain on the take. According to a 2020 report from the Center for International Policy, the Stimson Center has also received Qatari funding. 

In 2022, the Stimson Center received $615,000 from the Qatari Embassy for a program described as “protecting people.” Caitlin Goodman, a spokeswoman for the center, would not tell me whether it was reconsidering its relationship with Qatar. “The integrity and independence of Stimson scholars and their research is central to the trust that policymakers and the public put in our work,” she said. “Our work does not reflect the views and motives of any individual funder.”  

The challenge of foreign adversaries funding our universities is not limited to Qatar. 

On Monday, House Select Committee on China Chairman Mike Gallagher (R-WI) warned leaders at top American colleges the Chinese Communist party was exerting “coercive influence” on campuses all over the country. According to Fox News, Gallagher warned dozens of university presidents to be clear-eyed about the Chinese threat. 

“The question—as I see it—is how do we respond in a way that preserves our free and open society—including our higher education system with all its natural strengths—while maintaining our moral, intellectual, and financial integrity?” Gallagher asked. His question applies not only to China. It should also be asked of the universities that have partnered with a country that protects the leaders of Hamas and makes deals with Iran.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

image.thumb.png.ac49fbf0775332df696fb7fb64e98217.png

C-117's are already in the air. They cannot go in on the Sabbath can they? I would not let the Mullahs get more traction. 

Or I guess they could play it down, keep the other Arab streets a bit calmer, and then hammer them on Sunday, a dead news day in the West. Or fuck it, don't go in, and let them sweat? 

One thing I saw this morning. CNN was live reporting how the border area's checkpoints were relaxed, troops were just doing their thing, etc. of course CNN is watched by Hamas. Catch them napping? 

• Hook 'Em 2

In the weeks leading up to Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel, hundreds of the group’s fighters received specialized combat training in Iran, according to people familiar with intelligence related to the assault
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/hamas-fighters-trained-in-iran-before-oct-7-attacks-e2a8dbb9?st=l2ceczfxs8cktnn&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Note- in the lead in text, using “Hamas’s” instead of “Hamas’ “ was the WSJ’s spelling choice, not mine. I’m disappointed in them. 

Edited by statsman
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

In the weeks leading up to Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack on Israel, hundreds of the group’s fighters received specialized combat training in Iran, according to people familiar with intelligence related to the assault
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/hamas-fighters-trained-in-iran-before-oct-7-attacks-e2a8dbb9?st=l2ceczfxs8cktnn&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

Note- in the lead in text, using “Hamas’s” instead of “Hamas’ “ was the WSJ’s spelling choice, not mine. I’m disappointed in them. 

Schulz, is the rage over the story content or the awful spelling error?

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

spacer.png

Soon we are bringing these back aren’t we 

I’m not disagreeing with you, however…
Afghanistan is 250k+ square miles with a population just under 40 million.
Iraq is nearly 170k square miles with a population of more than 43 million.
Gaza is 141 square miles with a population of just over 2 million.
This isn’t exactly an Apples to Apples comparison.

Logistically Israel could (again not claiming they should) check each and every civilian and methodically go building by building/house by house and root out every terrorist/hide out/tunnel. It would be bloody and costly in a myriad of ways but it’s doable as the IDF now has nearly half a million active troops and advanced satellite resources and a stranglehold on their regional communication networks.

Have you added in the sq miles from the subterranean tunnels? Of which they have no maps or embedded assets?
Have you factored in that we’re the US, the greatest and best equipped army of all time, and they are a standing army of 100k with 350k in reserve, of which 40% are females, funded primarily by US aid? Are you really going to unleash your women on the alleged baby beheaders and bloodthirsty rapists on (and beneath) their soil?
Have you factored in the fact that 1500 Hamas soldiers on motorbikes paralyzed the entire country for 12 hours? Let’s not even mention what 10,000 Taliban fighters who have done nothing for the last 50 years but fight invaders could do if they find themselves called to another Islamic jihad?

If the IDF invades, they’ll be turning to tactical nukes within 3 months. good luck to us all after that.
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

Have you added in the sq miles from the subterranean tunnels? Of which they have no maps or embedded assets?
Have you factored in that we’re the US, the greatest and best equipped army of all time, and they are a standing army of 100k with 350k in reserve, of which 40% are females, funded primarily by US aid? Are you really going to unleash your women on the alleged baby beheaders and bloodthirsty rapists on (and beneath) their soil?
Have you factored in the fact that 1500 Hamas soldiers on motorbikes paralyzed the entire country for 12 hours? Let’s not even mention what 10,000 Taliban fighters who have done nothing for the last 50 years but fight invaders could do if they find themselves called to another Islamic jihad?

If the IDF invades, they’ll be turning to tactical nukes within 3 months. good luck to us all after that.

Sooooo I see you are a glass half full kinda guy

• Haha 6

46 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

This seems why our Tier I units are already over there.  My guess?  On target package identification, location, and elimination.  We already seen the CAG boys on the tee-vee.  If there's one thing that these units are damn good at, it's target package locations (Russia says hold my vodka).  Front line troops will work the streets, but at night, the hunters will be turned loose to play whackamole.  

1 hour ago, BLKNSTY said:

Why not just do like Egypt did and just pump seawater in and flood the shit out of the tunnels.  Send the fucking rats scurrying.  Fry their electronics.  Soak their powder.  All of it.  

• Hook 'Em 5

This seems why our Tier I units are already over there.  My guess?  On target package identification, location, and elimination.  We already seen the CAG boys on the tee-vee.  If there's one thing that these units are damn good at, it's target package locations (Russia says hold my vodka).  Front line troops will work the streets, but at night, the hunters will be turned loose to play whackamole.  

your lips to gods ears. but this ain’t 1967. this is 50 years of petrodollars going to gulf states later and 20 years of trying to normalize relations with Iran. literal trillions of dollars.
and based on what I’ve seen in Ukraine/Azerbaijan, drone warfare is quite the equalizer for the underdog.
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Why not just do like Egypt did and just pump seawater in and flood the shit out of the tunnels.  Send the fucking rats scurrying.  Fry their electronics.  Soak their powder.  All of it.  

that actually seems like a really good idea.

55 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Surely this will happen once we’ve given the green light. With any luck we have a ton of eyes in the sky to track movement to help find tunnel entrances and Hamas members to pay visits to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

and if the hostages are being kept in the tunnels?

• Rage+1 1