Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They're pretty clearly inviting a disproportionate response.

AFAIK past retaliations for Hamas' terrorist assaults have been measured and proportionate. You can see how well that type of trading punches worked out. 

Plus you have the fact that netanyahu (a tremendous cunt who should be among the first sent to the front lines) got caught with his pants down. This isn't Israel. This is one man and his henchmen who have already shown they're willing to use weight of Israel's military to quell opposition but now get to turn their aggression in other directions.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are you able to process anything here in any other capacity beyond 'Israel good, Palestine bad'?

This isn't about Palestine. This is about Hamas. And yeah, it's pretty fucking binary at this point. But keep on doing what you do to "muh both sides" this.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm continually amazed at the ability of Americans to pick a side in this ongoing fiasco.

I know people who are very pro-Israel and others who are very pro-Palestine.

All I see is two bad guys fighting over a piece of land, and doing unspeakable things to each other, and justifying it because they each have a book written over a thousand years ago by goat herders that says god likes them better.

Round and round we go.

first time GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This isn't about Palestine. This is about Hamas. And yeah, it's pretty fucking binary at this point. But keep on doing what you do to "muh both sides" this.

No my comment was about a far-right, ultra nationalist that deifies Jewish terrorists and has stated that Palestinians should be removed from Gaza and that his family's right to live in freedom trumps that of Palestinians' rights to live in freedom.

I was hopeful we might find common ground in condemning him as the piece of shit he is, but your brain can't get there and still make sense of anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm continually amazed at the ability of Americans to pick a side in this ongoing fiasco.

Really? Last time I checked, 9/11 and every other Western-targeted terrorist action of the past 100 years wasn't perpetrated by persons of the Jewish faith.

ronaldo.gif

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

All I see is two bad guys fighting over a piece of land, and doing unspeakable things to each other, and justifying it because they each have a book written over a thousand years ago by goat herders that says god likes them better.

Jews believe God likes them better and that's why they're in Israel? I haven't heard that theory before but wow thanks for the education.  But your gutter take should probably go to CR.

Edited by Chopper
typo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No my comment was about a far-right, ultra nationalist that deifies Jewish terrorists and has stated that Palestinians should be removed from Gaza and that his family's right to live in freedom trumps that of Palestinians' rights to live in freedom.

I was hopeful we might find common ground in condemning him as the piece of shit he is, but your brain can't get there and still make sense of anything.

image.jpeg.e98adabf9340dd14e04db98d5ebd09f5.jpeg

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are you able to process anything here in any other capacity beyond 'Israel good, Palestine bad'?

Correct. It's a highly complex situation with bad on both sides. Very unfortunate all the way around. 

I think the hardliners in Israel are a problem and Hamas is a problem. It's been a tinder box for a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, TexArcher said:

Welp, looks like I've found where all the Fox News viewers hang out.

Extra bonus points for suggesting that Palestinians should just leave Gaza.  That'll probably be the dumbest thing said on the entire internet today.

Enjoy the war, fellas.

Did you really expect this to go any differently.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hamas is celebrating the murder of innocent people through terrorism.

The Israeli that started this lovely exchange celebrated the murder of people through terrorism.

Are those facts helpful at all for you?

Both sides FTW.

"Israel started it" is the biggest rewrite of history I've seen in quite a while. Well done!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I know people who are very pro-Israel and others who are very pro-Palestine.

Round and round we go.

Weren't many of the founders of Israel secular atheists or agnostics -- Ben Gurion, Dayan, Meir, Rabin?  Doubt they cared much about what a book they do not believe says. Even Bibi is not religious.  Don't believe Israel has ever had a PM who was religious or observant.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Discussions of how this is due to the meddling British bastards, or petulant muslims mad they lost at the Battle of Vienna, should generally go to the CR.

Walk around the 10th district of Vienna and tell me if the Muslims lost that battle

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

At this point, the "he started it," or "he did some bad shit, too" is not a good conversation.

Hamas just escalated shit, to start a brand new game.  That game will now be played.  It SHOULD now be played.  What happened before is history.  What is happening now is the new game.  Again, a game that HAMAS CHOSE.

When the primary noise is calls for restraint against a foe that just committed an act of genocide and is loudly threatening to do so again and again....that rings pretty shitty to me.

Hamas fucked up.  Now, they get what's coming to them.  

I don't know that I would characterize the primary noise as calls for restraint, as much as it is, calls for not committing crimes against humanity. Though to be completely fair, I think there is a fine line between fair war and war crime and I can understand Israel wanting, and needing, to get up to about the 1/8 inch line of not crossing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

At this point, the "he started it," or "he did some bad shit, too" is not a good conversation.

Hamas just escalated shit, to start a brand new game.  That game will now be played.  It SHOULD now be played.  What happened before is history.  What is happening now is the new game.  Again, a game that HAMAS CHOSE.

When the primary noise is calls for restraint against a foe that just committed an act of genocide and is loudly threatening to do so again and again....that rings pretty shitty to me.

Hamas fucked up.  Now, they get what's coming to them.  

No doubt.

Israel has carte blanche to respond however they see fit.

But, it's still heartbreaking, because tens of thousands of civilians, at a minimum, will be dead before they're through.

And, for what?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We have folks (lawyers even) on here advocating for actions that are war crimes, crimes against humanity (both legally defined), and ethnic cleansing. Sure, they're stopping just short of genocide but not by much. I hope that Israel fucking destroys Hamas (who just committed some war crimes themselves), but the forced deportation of a people is going too far.

It seems this thread needs to be cleaned up from all the CR content (or those remarks moved there) so that we can just stick with the actual fucking "news" about what's going on.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I can't help but wonder if Dallas Goldtooth's Dakota spirit sings and dances with these executions. That's the kind of question that the "...it's sad what happened to innocent Israeli's, but..." justifications get bandied about.

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

No doubt.

Israel has carte blanche to respond however they see fit.

But, it's still heartbreaking, because tens of thousands of civilians, at a minimum, will be dead before they're through.

And, for what?

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

We have folks (lawyers even) on here advocating for actions that are war crimes, crimes against humanity (both legally defined), and ethnic cleansing. Sure, they're stopping just short of genocide but not by much. I hope that Israel fucking destroys Hamas (who just committed some war crimes themselves), but the forced deportation of a people is going too far.

Quoted for truth.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It seems this thread needs to be cleaned up from all the CR content (or those remarks moved there) so that we can just stick with the actual fucking "news" about what's going on.

Emotions are running high. I can't even imagine for the other side of the world.

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I had a terrifying thought last night.  What if Hamas has a nuke?

There are old Russian warheads that were "lost" back in the 1980's.  It's been speculated that they landed in Iran.  And, North Korea's been making warheads for years.

Many of us have commented that this doesn't make any sense, because it's suicide for Hamas, and it gives Israel carte blanche to destroy Gaza and kills tens of thousands of Palestinians.  Hamas can't possibly think that they're going to conquer Israel.

But, if you had a warhead or two, and you wanted to draw much of the Israeli military into a relatively small space, then martyr yourselves and your people, maybe with a promise from Iran that they would finish off the greatly weakened Israel...

I know this sounds like a Tom Clancy book, but it would make some sense of something that otherwise doesn't.  Could this be their final suicide bombing?

This was in the other thread, but I thought I'd answer it here - that is a scary thought, but I can think of a few reasons this wouldn't happen:

1. Much like Putin using a nuke in Ukraine, this would open the door to a lot of countries getting involved in Hamas's shit, including more than a few neighboring Arab countries through whom said nuke would have been transported. We know the Egyptians were trying to warn Israel about the invasion/attack for example - the Egyptians (and Jordanians and Saudis) would join in on going after Hamas, not to mention possibly NATO or some kind of UN-assembled force. The fact that Hamas/Palestinians are mostly Sunni wouldn't matter either - while some countries may want nukes for themselves, the thought of terrorist groups running around with nukes would terrify them, since there are plenty of terrorists who want to wipe out area governments and install a caliphate.
  2. If any country was found to have helped them obtain a nuke that was used, that country is fucked.  
  3. Hamas's leaders would all be dead in fairly short order, and not just because the Israelis were head-hunting, but other countries as well.  Hamas's leaders aren't exactly strapping on suicide vests, so I don't see them being that suicidal - most of them didn't rise to that level just to throw it away.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I haven't read a single post that mentioned politics or politicians. Point them out.

If you're going to be technical about it, on this very page you can kind find mention of political leaders and elected governments along with their policies.

4 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I haven't read a single post that mentioned politics or politicians. Point them out.

I'll raise my hand for mentioning Netanyahu though I thought it was reasonable because it was in the context of explaining why I thought this response was disproportionate to Israel's response to previous attacks by Hamas. On the other side there's apparently anti-semetic people like @TexArcher attempting to vanquish anyone who disagrees with his hot takes as people who are bought into "Fox News."

It's possible to be Jewish, to believe in Israel's right to exist, and to also disagree with the actions and policies of some of its leaders. Those of us who are fortunate to have been born in the US after WWII also have the right to be ashamed by the actions of a certain recent USA president who did everything they could to bolster the extreme right politicians currently in power in Israel.

• Hook 'Em 2