Lessons in Chemistry

RPM

Brie Larsen, Lewis Pullman - Apple TV series that, on the basis of the first 2 episodes, is going to be very good. Period piece set in the early 60's. Brilliant chemist becomes celebrity TV chef, but it's not quite that simple.

Edited by RPM

30 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Hot take: Brie Larson is not a very good actress.

I haven't seen any of the Captain Marvel bs because, excuse me it's bullshit. But I did see her in United States of Tara early in her career and could tell she was going places. Rampart, Don Jon, The League, 21 Jump Street... she's built a decent resume across the acting scale.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:27 AM, formermav43 said:

Even if you think that, it actually works for this role.

That's correct. I have a son with the same kind stuff going on and she's excellent with her portrayal of it. 

My wife read the book and pushed to watch it together. I really like it. I'm trying to figure out if the book is female beach reading or something more, because if it is, I want to read it.

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That's correct. I have a son with the same kind stuff going on and she's excellent with her portrayal of it. 

My wife read the book and pushed to watch it together. I really like it. I'm trying to figure out if the book is female beach reading or something more, because if it is, I want to read it.

Where is this female beach?

On 10/27/2023 at 10:27 AM, formermav43 said:

Even if you think that, it actually works for this role.

I don't think I've seen her in anything other than car commercials and her IG (I'm not a Marvel person)

but yeah, she's pulling the role of socially awkward, feminist chemist in the 60's fairly well...to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Overall I enjoyed the show. The negative for me was that it jumped around a lot and struggled to find coherency and consistency. For example, the dog was suddenly the narrator, then it wasn't. The misogyny in a male-dominated workplace and the way a woman requires cover from the top in order to be successful at a big job is something I don't see often on US shows. The kid was cute as hell and there were indeed some very good lessons taught.