Snow's BBQ - Lexington, Texas

DoobieWah

As I posted on the old site in 2013:

Spoiler

Snow's BBQ - Lexington, Texas

My mom, my brother and I made the drive up there from Houston, Saturday before last.

Both of my grandmothers are from Lexington. My mother and my father were both born there. All four of my grandparents, four of my great-grandparents and my father are buried in the little cemetery south of town.

I never lived there myself really, but it's where "I am from". I spent a few summers there, catching crawdads in the clay pit, perch in the Brewer's pond, and hunting railroad spikes from the rails that are long gone.

When I was little, (late 60's and early 70's), there was a meat market on one corner of the square owned and run by Ms. Tootsie and Mr. Otto. [Edited in 2018 to note: Ms. Tootsie's husband was Mr. White; Otto was her maiden name. I don't know why I never noticed that error.] On Saturdays, they made bbq. Served on butcher paper, there was a picnic table and sliced white bread, but if you wanted beans or potato salad, you had to make it at home. When I went away to Texas, I used to drag my friends through there when we were traveling between Houston and Austin on a Saturday.

Anyway, about six weeks ago, my little sister said she wanted Snow's for her birthday, which was coming up on July 26. We had planned to get up and drive up there on Saturday the 27th, getting there early, to celebrate her birthday. Her 50th.

I promised.

Unfortunately, a brain aneurism took her from us on July 2.

So instead of a celebration, it became an ash scattering at the little cemetery where our ancestors lay.

We got bbq, visited with Kerry and Tootsie, and Jo, (who works inside and was our babysitter back when...).

Snow's will always be the gold standard for me, like the meat market was before, as long as Ms. Tootsie is still manning the pits, (no pun intended). If you've never made it over there early on Saturday morning, you don't know what you're missing.

It was a very bittersweet morning. The food was great. The beer was cold. The tears were many.

But I kept my promise. We had Snow's for your birthday.

And we took you home. I love you darlin'.

We'll be heading up there this weekend for the fifth annual visit. We get together with family, eat bbq and visit the cemeteries. I have literally dozens of ancestors planted thereabouts.

And my little sister.

We still miss her and drink to her "often".

(I love you darlin'.)

• Like 4

• 3 years later...
22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:
48 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I bet I’m whiter than you, and I hate them as well.  If we were to have a white-off I would win.

Do you own a copy of Mannheim Steamroller’s Christmas album? 

This made me laugh!

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

3 hours ago, hornian said:

What a bunch of shitheels. Sometimes I hate white people (and I am as white as they get). 

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I bet I’m whiter than you, and I hate them as well.  If we were to have a white-off I would win.

I’m pretty white. doesn’t bother me at all. and I begrudge nobody for being white. 

On 7/9/2021 at 4:28 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Anybody have any idea what this is about?  Snows just tweeted this:

Rally Lexington.jpg

Was there any follow up to this? As I noted in the OP, both sides of my family hail from Lee and Milan Counties for several generations. 

Hoax I hope?

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Was there any follow up to this? As I noted in the OP, both sides of my family hail from Lee and Milan Counties for several generations. 

Hoax I hope?

not sure if hoax but nothing happened. nobody showed up. I was there all alone. 

• Haha 1