Setting up this goddamn new iPhone

I will say on our work phones on the first time you ever set it up, it's not the usual log in for your company apps or for AppleID.  It is a login ID of a a code for what role you work in and the the password is a combo of the company name and the year.   It is a one time log-in and a total pain in the ass if you forget.

You might have a unique  company/ role specific login for that first time set-up to access your hub that loads your apps.

Edited by slorch

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

Company IT department told me I was fired if I didn't ditch the Droid for a company iPhone.

Setting it up now and I'm stuck.  I go into the app store and select the app I want.  Asks for my login.  Is that my regular Apple ID?  Because it won't take it.

Share your apple ID credentials here and we can check for you

UPDATE

I tried it again 15 minutes later.  Seems it needed to think on it awhile.  Now to get used to this goddamn new iPhone.  Review so far:

1) Battery life is better.

2) It does NOT like Google and the Google environment. And when I hook it up to my pickup, I presume I'll be locked into Apple's shitty maps app?  No Google Maps?

3) iMessage.  They all told me iMessage is SOOOO much better than the Textra on my Android.  K.  I'm not sure what makes it better.  I can't even give a text group it's own ringtone.

4) The built in video call feature will be nice.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, Gil Bang said:

apple maps is a fuckton better than google maps.  But, you can certainly get google maps and use that with apple carplay, if you are so inclined.  But you're an idiot if you do. 

What??

• Hook 'Em 1

apple maps is a fuckton better than google maps.  But, you can certainly get google maps and use that with apple carplay, if you are so inclined.  But you're an idiot if you do. 

He started a thread about setting up a phone that is so simple a child could do it. So maybe, he’s huffed too many burning couch fumes.

18 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Waze started downhill when Google bought it. Or maybe traffic just got worse. But I swear Google has consciously avoided doing anything to it that would improve or distinguish Waze from their own shit-tastic Google Maps.

18 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Waze started downhill when Google bought it. Or maybe traffic just got worse. But I swear Google has consciously avoided doing anything to it that would improve or distinguish Waze from their own shit-tastic Google Maps.

Wake makes it easier to see police reports and I haven’t used a radar detector in years. Apple Maps allows for reporting radar locations but it’s not as easy and thus the amount of people reporting locations may not be as large as I think Waze is still being used by a large set of people and the pool of reports is larger in Waze.  Not willing to risk it using Apple Maps on road trips…

20 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I'm a beta tester. The googs kept the dev team separate, and they were pushing lots of new updates till Covid hit. Since then, the team has been gutted, and not been replaced. From what I can tell on the tester forums, there is only a skeleton team left. They seem to focus more on non-US these days, as that is their largest user base.

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Why is Google Maps “shittastic”?

I won't call it shittastic, but ever since Apple caught up on the actual mapping several years ago, I much prefer Apple Maps to Google. The maps look better, it's more intuitive/simple to use, and the routing is much better. Google constantly tries and use a Waze like beat the traffic route, but is significantly worse than the Waze algorithm at it. 

As @Grimassaid above, I use Waze for road trips for police reports (I still use a V1 with it, as while Waze is fantastic for static police, it is terrible for moving, and that is where the V1 shines). I use Apple Maps in town.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I like Waze but I’m the guy that presses “Not there” for every vehicle-on-the-shoulder report.  We don’t need that shit, it muddies the water when you just want the cop reports.  I might make an occasional exception if the car is just over a blind hill or something, but 99% of those reports are completely unnecessary and I do my part to remove them.  

57 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

I still prefer Waze - but would like it a lot more if it allowed hazard reports on the freeway to designate a lane, or at least left/center/right.

18 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I like Waze but I’m the guy that presses “Not there” for every vehicle-on-the-shoulder report.  We don’t need that shit, it muddies the water when you just want the cop reports.  I might make an occasional exception if the car is just over a blind hill or something, but 99% of those reports are completely unnecessary and I do my part to remove them.  

I'm talking more about stalled cars and wrecks - particularly in town (Houston).  I keep it on most of the time just for freeway traffic alerts.  An alert that there is a wreck ahead, without telling me whether I should move left or right before I get to the backup, is not particularly helpful.

20 hours ago, BeardIP said:

The thing I hate about Apple Maps is how spot on they are with my ETA. I used to think I could beat the clock and I've tried to speed and really cut corners, and will maybe gain 1 minute-- 2 tops. 

Waze has a setting to take previous drives into consideration.  Don't know if apple does too.  Waze gets pretty damn close on timing, especially on less than 3 hour trips.

people keep going on about how apple maps improved its map...but without all the contextual information google has its useless.

for restaurants, google has its own review database, link to menus (updated by biz owner and by customers)... destinations nav has integration to taxi and other mobility services, etc. 

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

people keep going on about how apple maps improved its map...but without all the contextual information google has its useless.

for restaurants, google has its own review database, link to menus (updated by biz owner and by customers)... destinations nav has integration to taxi and other mobility services, etc. 

Apple has all of that as well.

Direct in app integration with Yelp and OpenTable.

Uber/Lyft/Public transport direct in app integration.

I get it's cool to shit on Apple, and especially Apple Maps after it was so bad for so long, but that just isn't the case anymore, at least in the US. It is as good or better.

Company IT department told me I was fired if I didn't ditch the Droid for a company iPhone.
Setting it up now and I'm stuck.  I go into the app store and select the app I want.  Asks for my login.  Is that my regular Apple ID?  Because it won't take it.

See if your grandkid can help you.

• 2 weeks later...