Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

22 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I would absolutely love this, but I get why Crane would be hesitant to instantly bring the cheating scandal back into the forefront of sports media.  It's not a 100% baseball decision.  Let's just hand it to Espada and keep moving down the road.

It doesn’t matter what the Astros do or who they hire for idiots to bring it up. We’re talking about sports media — not the sharpest tools in the shed. Let’s get the gang back and go full Death Star — bring the goat 🐐 back home. Mr. Luhnow your exile in Mexico is over.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If we are going to get back one of the two scapegoats I much prefer Luhnow over AJ. I know I’m in a huge minority, maybe of one, but I was never a huge AJ fan and his shitting the bed in 2019 is the last thing I need to see from him. Even that being said I’d take him over some of the guys on that list. Wtf. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Latest from Tags on Astros off-season. Some of it will encourage you. And some will infuriate you. https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-2023-offseason-questions

The encouraging  

Martín Maldonado’s time as Houston’s starting catcher is over. Diaz will take over as the team’s starter next year, though bringing back Maldonado as a backup can’t be ruled out

The infuriating 

1. Who will be the manager in 2024?

Baker, who led the Astros to two World Series appearances in four seasons, winning his only championship in 2022, is likely headed to retirement. The Astros will look to get younger in the managerial role in what will be an attractive job. Dana Brown, who was hired as GM just before Spring Training, will have a say in who’s in the manager’s chair, but owner Jim Crane and Jeff Bagwell, the team’s senior advisor to ownership and baseball operations, will oversee finding the next Astros skipper.

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Rage+1 3

If we are going to get back one of the two scapegoats I much prefer Luhnow over AJ. I know I’m in a huge minority, maybe of one, but I was never a huge AJ fan and his shitting the bed in 2019 is the last thing I need to see from him.

You aren't alone sir
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I mean at least they are admitting 2017 was legit if thats when they say the Dynasty started. Its not over but it defiantly did start in 2017...

Anywho this has gotta be the most painful bounce out of the playoffs as an Astros fan I can think of ever...can't quite put my finger on why....

Yeah no, not unless it starts after 05.  1986, with Mike Scott ready to roll.  1998 2nd We were the WS favorite and the best team of that Astros era.  Crushing losses to Kevin Brown / Padres.  2005 getting swept next.  Then 2019 because it was the best team in MLB history IMO but we had also just won the WS a few years before.

This one didn't hurt me at all honestly.  We just won the WS last year and have been back over and over

I wasn't old enough for 1981 to hurt much.  I do sort of remember it, but was 5

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Scraps said:

You aren't alone sir

Not alone at all.  I like AJ the guy.  But he was a "I'm not in the way of the analytics" manager.  Which is awesome to an extent.  He was nice so the guys liked him, I'm not sure they thought he was an amazing baseball mind though.  I am fine with him coming back and think he'll do a great job, but Luhnow is the guy we have been missing, not AJ.  Espada could do just what AJ can, and is probably the right answer

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Oh good bagwell and crane get to make the decision and Dana brown our gm doesnt. This always works out well.

This is how it ultimately works at almost every sports franchise there is.  The owner signs off, they are always the final decision unless they are absentee.  A good owner listens to his people, just makes sure they did their job thoroughly.  

This season was definitely the most stressful because we’ve become accustomed to this and view an LCS as almost a birthright and when it comes down to the last weekend for even making the playoffs, it can make for a less enjoyable 6 months.

but it still hurts if nothing else because we blew our chance to erase the Yankees name for most recent back to back champ 

Edited by UTexasFight

18 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Did this get posted?

Dusty's ALCS report card from Fangraphs

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/alcs-managerial-report-card-dusty-baker/?fbclid=IwAR3ybfXqCwDSl3l_rHvZveaGuNCKNWDCKcGjc4HBGlPXb12pbsV6GkqMapI

F for Batting
D+ for Pitching

Putt come defend your booty buddy

well that article is fucking infuriating.

and a pretty good Astros regular season thread in a nutshell 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

well that article is fucking infuriating.

and a pretty good Astros regular season thread in a nutshell 

Yep. The opening paragraph for hitters basically says it all:

”This section is usually a blow-by-blow of pinch-hitting selections. We’ll get to that, at least the few times that Houston used a pinch-hitter, but I’m going to tell you my complaints right at the start: Martín Maldonado played over Yainer Diaz a disturbing amount of the time, and Chas McCormick got shelved at the first sign of danger. I’ve spun those two decisions around in my head a lot while writing this, and I can’t get behind either of them.”

17 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Also the article points out the penalty for letting hitters continue to see the same reliever multiple times in a series. Dusty never really understood when to use some of the lower leverage guys until he had no choice in Game 6.

the rangers saw no pain throwing the same guys at us. I'm not following closely but sure looks like the dbacks and phillies kept using their high leverage guys over and over

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the rangers saw no pain throwing the same guys at us. I'm not following closely but sure looks like the dbacks and phillies kept using their high leverage guys over and over

The same penalty doesn’t apply when they get to face Dubon, Peña and Maldonado multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Until Altuve came along, Bagwell was my all-time favorite Astro. His recent involvement has taken a lot of that luster away. But that's ultimately on Crane. 

Bagwell is great in the booth.  That should be the apex of his influence beyond meet & greets and general advocacy for the club.

Edited by slorch

On 10/24/2023 at 12:35 PM, tx 3 putt said:

they need an uncle Mike type guy on that roster 

Any ideas?

Mike Elias and Brandon Hyde like the veteran presence.  Last year, it was Jordan Lyles, Robinson Chirinos, and Roughned Odor.  This year, it was Kyle Gibson, Adam Frazier, and mid-season freebie Aaron Hicks.

Next year?  I think it’s time for the young vets to take charge and for management to fill roster spots from within.  But, if there’s a top of the rotation starter …

I’m definitely sitting by the stove!

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This season was definitely the most stressful because we’ve become accustomed to this and view an LCS as almost a birthright and when it comes down to the last weekend for even making the playoffs, it can make for a less enjoyable 6 months.

but it still hurts if nothing else because we blew our chance to erase the Yankees name for most recent back to back champ 

And the NL team is arguably  the weakest to ever make a WS… ever?

One we swept … at their ballpark…. A month ago.

Edited by Dnaguy

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

A fucking head of lettuce would have a better record with the teams he fielded.

This is like admiring a Ryan Gossling’s ability to pick up women.

No shit.

He was gifted a face (team) that makes anything other than a 8 hour fuck a thon (WS appearance )  a total loss.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

A fucking head of lettuce would have a better record with the teams he fielded.

This is like admiring a Ryan Gossling’s ability to pick up women.

No shit.

He was gifted a face (team) that makes anything other than a 8 hour fuck a thon (WS appearance )  a total loss.

With one of the greatest teams ever assembled he managed a 95 win pace. Awesome.