Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You were making the point that McLane was cheap, when he actually wasn't. He got burned with Drabek and Swindell, but took another swing with Clemens and Pettitte and also opened up the bank to keep Biggio and Bagwell career Astros. To say he only signed Carlos Lee is disingenuous. 

I was outright stating it, and I am correct.  He was cheap as fuck.  The majority of his tenure the Astros had a bottom half payroll and didn't have a top 10 payroll until 2009 when he was intentionally trying to "star the team up" to sell it.  They immediately dropped to 14 the next year.  

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

That was probably an overaction then to Montero. Rendon, Choo, Hamilton.. those contracts come to mind as being idiotic.. 

Montero is really hamstringing us right now. It’s why we are short half a bat or a 7th inning reliever. And it’s especially painful as it goes through 25 so will hamstring us again during the last year we know we will have a 100 win type roster (assuming Altuve gets extended). 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

The local rights deal is so fucking great that MLB has one of the most fucked up business models in sports for determining 'local' viewers.

Fuck em.

Figure it out and make your product reasonably accessible to fans.  I have money to give you, motherfuckers... but not if I cannot watch my team.  No way i am the only one.

Last I checked they have directv in lubbock.  Guess you don't want to spend to watch that bad

33 minutes ago, WBT said:

Last I checked they have directv in lubbock.  Guess you don't want to spend to watch that bad

I don't live in lubbock.

and I don't subscribe to satellite.

I am willing to subscribe to MLB.com that is pretty much universally available when I am on the road for work, but fuck that.  I'm local to Houston in their purview.  I live almost 200 miles closer to Coors Field than MMP.  Kaufmann Stadium is closer to my house than MMP...  but the Astros are local to me.

Fuck that.  and if MLB is so good at their programming, then why is it so fucked up?  Reap it, bitches... and I'll keep watching for free.

I'm not the one with money problems.  They are.  Because their marketing/ programming sucks ass.

Edited by slorch

LEFT FIELDERS
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (30 years old, 3.2 WAR)
Joc Pederson (32, 2.7)
Tommy Pham (36, 2.5)
David Peralta (36, 1.8)
Michael Brantley (37, 1.4)
Joey Gallo (30, 1.4)
Travis Jankowski (33, 1.0)
Jurickson Profar (31, 0.6)
Jordan Luplow (30, 0.5)
Eddie Rosario (32, 0.2)
Robbie Grossman (34, 0.1)
Corey Dickerson (35, -0.2)
Ben Gamel (32, -0.2)
AJ Pollock (36, -0.4)
Austin Meadows (30, -0.5)
You left off the best guy we could sign on the cheap

brantley is on that list
The answer was McCutchen.

1yr 5 mil to resign with PIT

Unfortunately he wants to be in Pittsburgh

21 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

Also said, Whitley will be on opening day roster.

Garcia looking like a July return 

McCullers August return 

22 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

Pitching prospects from Dodgers. Cowser and 2 pitchers if Orioles involved. 

1 hour ago, Ichabod said:

Talked to my source today. Rumblings are Pena to Rays for Arozarena and a bullpen arm.

Also Framber is pretty much gone, looking like a deal to Dodgers or Orioles imminent once Yamamoptpo dust settles. 

So a roster close to this:

2B Altuve

3B Bregman

DH Alvarez

LF Arozarena

RF Tucker

1B Abreu 

C Diaz

CF McCormick

SS Dubon

Bench: Kessinger, Caratini, Singleton, Meyers

SP: Verlander, Brown, Javier, Yariel Rodriguez, Urquidy, France

RP: Pressly, Abreu, Shawn Armstrong, Montero, Coleman/Garcia, Whitley/McCullers

With Cowser, Baumler, and Povich added to the farm.

Rotation is suspect.  Bullpen is high ceiling but high risk.  Lineup is one of the best and deepest in MLB history.  Farm would move from well below average to slightly below average.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Ichabod said:

If that is the case, I would prefer the Orioles. We need a replacement for Tucker and Cowser played at Sam Houston State and is from Houston.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Ichabod said:

So I’ve been looking at the Dodgers minor league prospects and roster and I think Bobby Miller and lottery tickets would have to be the deal.  Basically the Dodgers would be trading for a sure 200 innings and giving up a young starter that isn’t arbitration eligible yet but threw 120 innings last year with similar (if slightly down) performance from Framber.  

If the trade omits Miller then the Astros must feel bullish about replacing those 200 innings elsewhere (maybe the Cuban, maybe a different deal).  

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

So I’ve been looking at the Dodgers minor league prospects and roster and I think Bobby Miller and lottery tickets would have to be the deal.  Basically the Dodgers would be trading for a sure 200 innings and giving up a young starter that isn’t arbitration eligible yet but threw 120 innings last year with similar (if slightly down) performance from Framber.  

If the trade omits Miller then the Astros must feel bullish about replacing those 200 innings elsewhere (maybe the Cuban, maybe a different deal).  

With the acquisitions of Yamamoto, Glasnow and penciling in Ohtani at some point down the road   I don’t imagine the Dodgers feel the starting rotation is a pressing need. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With the acquisitions of Yamamoto, Glasnow and perhaps Ohtani at some point down the road   I don’t imagine the Dodgers feel the starting rotation is a pressing need. 

Take a look at their roster-they aren’t counting on Yamamoto for 200 innings, Glasnow is a risky bet for more than 120, Kershaw is unavailable until after the all star break, Ohtani is out for the year.  They badly need reliable starters and more than one.  

We do, too, which is why it’s a risk for the Astros.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:01 PM, Ichabod said:

Talked to my source today. Rumblings are Pena to Rays for Arozarena and a bullpen arm.

Also Framber is pretty much gone, looking like a deal to Dodgers or Orioles imminent once Yamamoptpo dust settles. 

On 12/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, Ichabod said:

On 12/21/2023 at 4:54 PM, Ichabod said:

McCullers August return 

Any idea what the timeframe is on either of these deals?  Likelihood they actually happen? 

I don't see the point of trading Pena right now, he's still pretty young, has club control for years and could be a lot better with some good batting coaching. I would keep him until the trade deadline at least. see if he can get better before bailing. 

Framber I can live with trading for the right package. 

Peña saved our asses in the 2022 WS run multiple times, but maybe he was Buddy Biancalana catching lightning in a bottle. If we keep him around, I can live with it, but if Arozarena is in the mix I pull the trigger before the Rays GM sobers up. 

We need fuckers that can hit the goddamn ball. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:54 PM, Ichabod said:

McCullers August return 

21 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Any idea what the timeframe is on either of these deals?  Likelihood they actually happen? 

Yeah, August 2025.

• Haha 3