2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

I have Cam Thomas in my Fantasy league, and he went 0-11 in their last game, and has been on a cold streak for a while. Brooklyn is a bad team now, tied for 10th worst record in the league at 15-19, and on their way downwards. I expect the Jazz, Grizzlies and Hawks to pass them, pushing that pick down to the 8th overall spot at least. There are other bad teams that may get some more wins too like the Bulls and Raptors, and that pick could potentially end up around #6-7.  I don't see the Pistons, Spurs, Wiz, Blazers or Hornets moving out of the top 5 pick spots, so 6 is the ceiling for that pick pending lottery results. 

The Nets need to trade Bridges soon and get some good value for him because they are going back to tank mode whether they like it or not. Ben Simmons isn't coming back any time soon, he's got a free pass to fuck off and get paid through next year, and I expect him to do that as long as he can. They have a few good pieces in Claxton, the Cams, DFS, Walker and Sharpe, but none of those guys are leading a team anywhere special. They have a bunch of guys that can help a really good team get better, but right now they aren't anything more than a fringe playoff team on a treadmill.

The Rockets have their 24 and 26 picks, plus swaps in 25 and 27, so it will be interesting for us to watch them fail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I really don’t understand how Green can be shooting worse in year three with upgrades everywhere on the roster that should be opening up the floor for him. 

Because he sucks at basketball, it was evident when he was drafted.

It is also evident that his trainer knows jack and shit about transforming his body to be able to physically compete in the NBA.

Finally it is also evident Green doesn't give two shits about being a good NBA player, but cares more about the prestige that comes with it.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:09 PM, BigOrange1 said:

three winable games this week: vs. portland, @ charlotte, and @ brooklyn.  probably need to win all three, but definitely need to go 2-1 at the worst.

Blew the Portland game. Shouldn’t have. But did. 

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Just not enough defense when Smith and Eason out. Jalen Green is such a bust, that you probably would have to give up draft pick compensation to move him.

your hard on for green is getting a little ridiculous at this point. has he been disappointing?  most definitely.  but every game its the same shit from you.  even after games like last night where he scored 29 points on 12-24 shooting.

11 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

your hard on for green is getting a little ridiculous at this point. has he been disappointing?  most definitely.  but every game its the same shit from you.  even after games like last night where he scored 29 points on 12-24 shooting.

Lulz, It's ok to admit the dude sucks.

19 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Just not enough defense when Smith and Eason out. Jalen Green is such a bust, that you probably would have to give up draft pick compensation to move him.

I’m not a green fan but there’s no way he’s being viewed as a negative contract that would have to have shit attached to in order to move. 

tough loss to a nets team whose every loss benefits the rockets.  the rockets just didn't come out ready to play and ultimately couldn't overcome the big headstart they gave the nets.  were in it at the end, but couldn't get across the finish line.

34, 12 (reb), and 7 on 12-23 shooting for green tonight.  sengun went for 31, 12, and 7.  jabari had 18 and 9.  whitmore had 20 on 7-12 shooting in 18 minutes of pt.

maybe the best overall game of the season for the rockets' young core.

• Hook 'Em 1

It looks like (for now) Jalen is actually willing to be coached by Ime and is much more active on offense and defense. It also helps when he actually tries to finish at the rim instead of flailing all over the place looking for a foul. Dude has incredible talent, but clearly has never played real basketball until this year. Huge failure by Silas and front office to leave him be his first two years. AAU and G League bullshit only gets you so far. Hopefully he gets it now and becomes a solid, consistent player on both ends. 

Cam is ridiculous. Must watch TV any time he enters the game and the Rockets bench stands up every time he gets the ball. His explosiveness at the rim reminds me of younger Lebron. It's incredible if true that his medicals are what dropped him to a late first round pick. Right now he's basically just a scorer, but I think the rest of his game will continue to improve. 

Jabari was very solid last night. Just needs to find consistency and bring it every night. A little concerned about his weight, would love to see him add 10+ pounds. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Jalen is fool's gold. He has had many games like last night before followed by a stretch of 20 games where he is inefficient as fuck. The only thing he is consistent at is being inefficient. Trade him since you have Whitmore to take his place. Hopefully his last few games can convince other stupid GMs that he can be fixed. You can't fix someone that doesn't love basketball.

Edited by HtownHorn

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Jalen is fool's gold. He has had many games last night before he has a stretch of 20 games where he is inefficient as fuck. The only thing he is consistent at is being inefficient. Trade him since you have Whitmore to take his place. Hopefully his last few games can convince other stupid GMs that he can be fixed. You can't fix someone that doesn't love basketball.

I'm not a big Jalen fan at all, but what makes the last few games a bit different is 1. a lot more effort on the defensive side. He's skying for rebounds and closing out well on shooters.  and 2. taking more shots in the flow of the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Love Adams as a player, but I would be worried about his rehab and ability to come back. He's only 30 (looks a lot older than that) and making 12.6m next year. If he plays well as Senguns backup, he could be used in a trade next year to get more than 3 2nds. Not a bad deal to turn Oladipos expiring into a potential asset.  

Was at the game tonight. Yeah, it's the Raptors but Sengun, Whitmore and Thompson are going to be a thing.

When Thompson gets a 3FG, he will be unguardable. He looks like an MVP. His defense and rebounding are far beyond rookie. His vision is high level, even when he fails to execute, he sees it. Thompson is going to split VanVleet minutes soon. He has Kobe level potential and seems focused on it. 

Whitmore will always believe he can score, which is a good belief to have when you can actually score. Dude is Buckets Unltd. 

Sengun is going to be better than Dream on offense. It's.a different game.

If those three figure out how to keep Smith and Green in the offense, the Rockets will be unguardable. 

Jalen Green just has to learn how to get easy shots. Whitmore has it figured out. 

Smith is going to be like Trevor Ariza. That's a positive. 

Get tickets. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1