Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Earls great, earls awesome, earl walks on water. He couldn’t sniff KD or Clemens jock in pro accomplishments. He’s a fringe HOF due to how short his peak and prime were. KD and Clemens are inner circle HOF all timer generational guys. 

I’m going to cut you some slack, because it’s clear you weren’t watching pro football while Earl was playing. Back then, RBs we’re considered as vital as QBs for a championship team. For his first three seasons, Earl was the best in the game. He was NFL offensive player of the game his first three seasons. He was league MVP his second season. He was no fringe HOFer- he made the HoF on his first season eligible and is named to the league’s all century team. 

21 minutes ago, statsman said:

I’m going to cut you some slack, because it’s clear you weren’t watching pro football while Earl was playing. Back then, RBs we’re considered as vital as QBs for a championship team. For his first three seasons, Earl was the best in the game. He was NFL offensive player of the game his first three seasons. He was league MVP his second season. He was no fringe HOFer- he made the HoF on his first season eligible and is named to the league’s all century team. 

Earl Campbell is one of the top 10 running backs in NFL history. KD and Roger Clemens are each one of the 10 best players to ever play their sport. It’s not close. Earl was a comet that burned bright and then burnt out. That’s just not top 10 of all time resume. 

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Earl Campbell is one of the top 10 running backs in NFL history. KD and Roger Clemens are each one of the 10 best players to ever play their sport. It’s not close. Earl was a comet that burned bright and then burnt out. That’s just not top 10 of all time resume. 

Bill James once wrote a breakdown of HoF suitability, placing players in tiers. His suggestion was that tier 1 was for players that were arguably the greatest player ever in the game. In basketball, that’s Jordan, LeBron, Wilt and maybe Jabbar. In football, that’s Jim Brown. I don’t know who else ever entered the conversation. 

Tier 2 is for players who were arguably the best player in the game while they were active. That’s KD. And that’s Earl. 

Tier 3 is for players who were arguably the best ever at their position. Tier 4 is for players who were arguably the best at their position while they were playing. 

I’m not looking to downgrade Clemens. I just don’t think you get just how big a deal Earl was. He took an Oilers team to the AFC championship game twice, losing each time to the eventual Super Bowl Champ, and that Oilers team was QBed by Dan Pastorini. This guy was no fringe HoFer, not by any measure. 

I kind of think of Earl a little like a lesser accomplished version of Shaq -- amazing peak, completely dominant, but his career resume didn't really match his true talent.  I think Shaq to a lesser extent also didn't fulfill his true potential.  It's hard for me to compare baseball players so easily given the specialization, but obviously Clemens' career accomplishments are about as good as they get for a pitcher.    

I tried off the top of my head to rattle off ten great running backs and literally right now had Brown, Sanders, Payton, Emmitt, Dickerson, Campbell, Faulk, Tomlinson, Sayers, and O.J -- probably missing someone important or two, (like I just thought of Bo Jackson, another great RB cut down by injury) but I think Campbell (for me) belongs there.

11 hours ago, UTDD said:

I kind of think of Earl a little like a lesser accomplished version of Shaq -- amazing peak, completely dominant, but his career resume didn't really match his true talent.  I think Shaq to a lesser extent also didn't fulfill his true potential.  It's hard for me to compare baseball players so easily given the specialization, but obviously Clemens' career accomplishments are about as good as they get for a pitcher.    

I tried off the top of my head to rattle off ten great running backs and literally right now had Brown, Sanders, Payton, Emmitt, Dickerson, Campbell, Faulk, Tomlinson, Sayers, and O.J -- probably missing someone important or two, (like I just thought of Bo Jackson, another great RB cut down by injury) but I think Campbell (for me) belongs there.

For a 6-7 time period, Shaq was arguably the best player in the world at his sport.  Earl Thomas was never that.  He was 3 times All-Pro, 7 times Pro-Bowler and 1 time made the top 5 for DPOY, but he had nowhere the impact or career someone like Shaq did.  And yes, specialization makes it very difficult to compare across sports.  Baseball and Football because of specialization probably makes it a little easier to compare but even that's challenging.

Earl is now 37th on the All-time rushing yardage list and 26th on rushing TD career list.  We all love Earl, but he basically had a 4 year career.  He was very much a shooting star.  Good comparisons are Gale Sayers and Terrell Davis.  His star burned so bright for a few years but he was gone in the blink of an eye at the NFL level.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I hate to argue with guys that I never see a reason to argue with, but it’s clear you guys weren’t there for it (the point I’m arguing against is that Earl Campbell was a “fringe HoFer “). 

when he retired, he was the seventh all time rusher in NFL history. He was voted to the HoF in his first year eligible. He was no fringe HoFer. 

if you have to win a playoff game and you get to choose from every all-time RB at his peak, Earl Campbell is on the very, very short list of guys in consideration. no, his career number do not match up with many of the all-time greats, but at his best (which he did sustain for several years), he was as good as/better than 99.9% who ever did it. 

12 minutes ago, statsman said:

I hate to argue with guys that I never see a reason to argue with, but it’s clear you guys weren’t there for it (the point I’m arguing against is that Earl Campbell was a “fringe HoFer “). 

when he retired, he was the seventh all time rusher in NFL history. He was voted to the HoF in his first year eligible. He was no fringe HoFer. 

You're issue is with Wulaw, who described him as such.  No one else has.  But I think it's important to capture the essence of Earl's career.  To me, Terrell Davis and he are easily the best comparison.  Their first four years look almost identical rushing the ball.... Davis had much more impact receiving.  Davis also had much better playoff numbers but a lot of that is based on team accomplishments.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You're issue is with Wulaw, who described him as such.  No one else has.  But I think it's important to capture the essence of Earl's career.  To me, Terrell Davis and he are easily the best comparison.  Their first four years look almost identical rushing the ball.... Davis had much more impact receiving.  Davis also had much better playoff numbers but a lot of that is based on team accomplishments.  

maybe on paper they look similar, but the eye test makes TD look like a much inferior back, which he was. even Jim Brown said the list goes 1.Jim Brown, 2.Earl Campbell.

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

maybe on paper they look similar, but the eye test makes TD look like a much inferior back, which he was. even Jim Brown said the list goes 1.Jim Brown, 2.Earl Campbell.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think a lot of fans can be accused of Rosy Retrospection and Foundation Bias....... The game has come a long way from 3 yards and cloud of dust strategy too.  But the numbers are pretty damn close and both are in the HOF and were incredible players, if too briefly for fans.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think a lot of fans can be accused of Rosy Retrospection and Foundation Bias....... The game has come a long way from 3 yards and cloud of dust strategy too.  But the numbers are pretty damn close and both are in the HOF and were incredible players, if too briefly for fans.

everyone who ran for the Broncos under Shanahan did awesome, for one. secondly, look at the line TD was running behind, and the QB he had taking everyone's attention, and then compare it to Earl's Houston teams. and finally, there's no 'maybe' about it- Earl was a freak. a legendary freak. like Randy Moss at WR, or LT rushing the passer, or Jim Brown before him, or Aaron Donald today- there's no question about it, Earl did things that made other badass players' jaws drop. he's bigger and stronger than Christin Okoye, with fluid hips and vision like Eric Metcalf. Earl was one-of-a-kind. TD was a mere mortal who had a nice few years.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

For a 6-7 time period, Shaq was arguably the best player in the world at his sport.  Earl Thomas was never that.  He was 3 times All-Pro, 7 times Pro-Bowler and 1 time made the top 5 for DPOY, but he had nowhere the impact or career someone like Shaq did.  And yes, specialization makes it very difficult to compare across sports.  Baseball and Football because of specialization probably makes it a little easier to compare but even that's challenging.

Earl is now 37th on the All-time rushing yardage list and 26th on rushing TD career list.  We all love Earl, but he basically had a 4 year career.  He was very much a shooting star.  Good comparisons are Gale Sayers and Terrell Davis.  His star burned so bright for a few years but he was gone in the blink of an eye at the NFL level.

I think the best quote on Shaq was from Bill Walton, I know, I know:  If you had a pick up game of the greatest players in the NBA, Shaq is the only guy that you would need to double.

55 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

everyone who ran for the Broncos under Shanahan did awesome, for one. secondly, look at the line TD was running behind, and the QB he had taking everyone's attention, and then compare it to Earl's Houston teams. and finally, there's no 'maybe' about it- Earl was a freak. a legendary freak. like Randy Moss at WR, or LT rushing the passer, or Jim Brown before him, or Aaron Donald today- there's no question about it, Earl did things that made other badass players' jaws drop. he's bigger and stronger than Christin Okoye, with fluid hips and vision like Eric Metcalf. Earl was one-of-a-kind. TD was a mere mortal who had a nice few years.

Cool.  I would expect no other assessment on a Texas board than this.  I'm sure if you go over to a Denver one you may get a different assessment.  The point is both were great players who had abbreviated careers.  In basketball that may be akin to someone like Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill.  Maybe Yao Ming. 

Back to KD, he's definitely in the top 2 of Texas sports alums and he still has a good 3-4 years in him.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think the best quote on Shaq was from Bill Walton, I know, I know:  If you had a pick up game of the greatest players in the NBA, Shaq is the only guy that you would need to double.

Very close behind on that list if not 2nd is the titular player. 

This thing really blew up. Few thoughts:

1. The best 1-2 punch from the major 3 sports is an interesting discussion. It's a fairly short list because most of the best baseball players didn't play in college and most of the best basketball players didn't go somewhere where football was worth a shit (Shaq is an interesting one - but LSU doesn't really have a huge standout from the NFL). Bo Jackson and Chuck is a fun one. I think KD/Clemens is easily 2nd behind MJ/LT. 

2. LT is absolutely a top 10 guy ever I think - he makes my first tier pantheon with Brady, Rice and Brown fwiw. 

3. From everything I've heard, read or researched about him Earl was incredible. I don't think as a pro he was at the KD/Clemens level, though, where you have to start knocking guys off the upper parts of all-time lists. At his peak, sure, Earl was absolutely up there - but career accomplishments wise - nah. 

4. I probably underrated Clemens career off the top of my head but also I have yet to see anyone actually flesh out Durant's career accomplishments in here - yet we are talking about Clemens 7 Cy Youngs and all time rankings on some lists. So let's do that. 

A Cy Young means best pitcher in your league/conference. I'll contend that Durant has been the best PLAYER in his conference 7 times as well, and without really having to reach all that hard:

2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

The first 2 of those seasons he was runner-up MVP (he was in 2010 too but he wasn't better than Kobe that year). In 2014 he was the league MVP. I'll give 2016 to Steph. In 2017 and 2018 he was Finals MVP. In 2019 he was absolutely torching the playoffs and had made the Finals again before tearing his Achilles. 2021 speaks for itself. 

I'd also contend in those latter-most 2 years he was the best player in the league. 

On top of that, and granted he's still playing, he is:

- 5th in regular season ppg (and comes in at a cool 11th in career TS% on top of that)

- 8th in regular season PER

- 10th in regular season BPM

- 12th in regular season WS/48

Also:

- 3rd in playoff ppg

- 9th in career points in the playoffs (and just 3 points behind 8th place - he has a very good chance at finishing 2nd all time)

- 8th in career playoffs PER 

- 9th in career playoffs WS/48

- 7th in career playoffs BPM

- 12th in outright win shares and climbing as of last year 

Some more accolades:

4 time scoring leader (tied for 3rd most ever)

5 time playoffs scoring leader (ppg - and hilariously doesn't include last season although he was good for 34.3/game)

4 time gold medalist for the USA and was easily the best player on 3 of those squads (1 WC, 3 Olympics)

I also think he's a bigger star and sports celebrity than Clemens ever was but I obviously was not really around for Clemens prime so someone can correct me. 

---

TLDR I'm taking KD over Clemens but I'd hear both sides of that argument. I think they are pretty clearly 1 and 2 with Earl 3rd but I also think Earl has a nice gap between him and whoever 4th is (talk about another fun tangent argument - Earl Thomas? Ricky? Jamaal?).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Very close behind on that list if not 2nd is the titular player. 

This thing really blew up. Few thoughts:

1. The best 1-2 punch from the major 3 sports is an interesting discussion. It's a fairly short list because most of the best baseball players didn't play in college and most of the best basketball players didn't go somewhere where football was worth a shit (Shaq is an interesting one - but LSU doesn't really have a huge standout from the NFL). Bo Jackson and Chuck is a fun one. I think KD/Clemens is easily 2nd behind MJ/LT. 

2. LT is absolutely a top 10 guy ever I think - he makes my first tier pantheon with Brady, Rice and Brown fwiw. 

---

TLDR I'm taking KD over Clemens but I'd hear both sides of that argument. I think they are pretty clearly 1 and 2 with Earl 3rd but I also think Earl has a nice gap between him and whoever 4th is (talk about another fun tangent argument - Earl Thomas? Ricky? Jamaal?).

Other 1-2 punches to consider:

UCLA -- KAJ/Jackie Robinson

FSU -- Deion/Buster Posey

WVU -- Sam Huff/Jerry West

USC -- Randy Johnson or Tom Seaver/OJ or Anthony Munoz or Ronnie Lott.  I lean towards Munoz.

Tennnessee -- Bernard King/Reggie White

Navy -- Staubach/Robinson

Texas has strong damn case and probably only 2nd next to Carolina....

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Earl was the NFL rushing leader and MVP his first two years in the NFL. that's everything you need to know about his otherworldly dominance. 

I mean that's badass but he didn't keep it up. Were LeBron not a human being Durant would have 4 MVPs and obviously he has 4 scoring titles - and all 4 came in his first 7 seasons.

He remains the youngest scoring champ in league history. 

I don't think anyone here is knocking Earl - but we are talking strictly pro career and at the end of the day he just didn't have the career success of Durant or Rog.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

USC -- Randy Johnson or Tom Seaver/OJ or Anthony Munoz or Ronnie Lott.  I lean towards Munoz.

Good stuff. I was trying to think of someone to pair with Neon. Knew they had some baseball history so Posey doesn't surprise me. Staubach/Robinson is strong to very strong (as is Seaver/OJ).

Edited by ztejas

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean that's badass but he didn't keep it up. Were LeBron not a human being Durant would have 4 MVPs and obviously he has 4 scoring titles - and all 4 came in his first 7 seasons.

He remains the youngest scoring champ in league history. 

I don't think anyone here is knocking Earl - but we are talking strictly pro career and at the end of the day he just didn't have the career success of Durant or Rog.

He didn’t keep it up because they ran him into the ground. Earl is a poster child for RB overuse. It fucking ruined him, being the everything for the Oilers. If we’re going to downgrade his professional career, that has to be taken into account.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Kermit said:

He didn’t keep it up because they ran him into the ground. Earl is a poster child for RB overuse. It fucking ruined him, being the everything for the Oilers. If we’re going to downgrade his professional career, that has to be taken into account.

Okay. Then let's take into account that Durant has missed close to 2 full seasons and a Finals due to injury. And has had multiple runs tanked due to the health of teammates. 

This street goes both ways. We aren't having this discussion if KD is a 3-4 time FMVP with 4 titles.

Obviously what happened to Earl is shittier than anything KD has been subjected to but that doesn't change what each of them has accomplished. Shit happens. 

I ran the 1-2 from the top 3 sports by my dad and he came up with a great one:

Heschel Walker and Dominique 

Another good point he just brought up - no one comes close to topping Texas' trio of KD/Clemens/Earl. I think there's a weak 3rd for every school. 

I mean, the fact that the top 3 that we're debating all played a different sport is pretty fucking cool and unique. 

Edited by ztejas

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I ran the 1-2 from the top 3 sports by my dad and he came up with a great one:

Heschel Walker and Dominique 

Another good point he just brought up - no one comes close to topping Texas' trio of KD/Clemens/Earl. I think there's a weak 3rd for every school. 

I mean, the fact that the top 3 that we're debating all played a different sport is pretty fucking cool and unique. 

Just for fun:

UCLA: KAJ/Jackie/Troy or Jon Ogden.   Not bad.

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

UCLA: KAJ/Jackie/Troy

Yeah - this just came up in discussing with my fam. Not bad - although I'd put Roger above Jackie and Earl above Troy without thinking twice. (Cowboys fans guard your ears)

@shadow_operative also Earl doesn't have 2 MVPs. Not sure where you got that.

Edited by ztejas

Any Florida State list that doesn't include Bobby Sura is invalid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yeah, that's fair.  I like the Gale Sayers comparison as I think that's pretty dead on even though obviously their running styles are very different...but I still do kind of see Earl as someone who could have done a lot more, which is also how I feel about Shaq despite his great career.  I'm not as sold on Terrell Davis as an equivalent talent, but he was pretty good too.

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Finally, on the Clemens tangent, he may be a prick and a cheater, and Swindell/Hooton may have been better in college, but Clemens is probably the greatest MLB pitcher of all time.  His career stats blow away everyone except for a couple of guys who pitched in the dead ball era.  I get if you want to discount that because of PEDs the same as you would Bonds and his records.  But if you're not discounting the numbers for PEDs, he's a legendary figure.  There's a big difference between a guy who was MVP or even Hall of Fame and a guy who was GOAT.

Re: Clemens cheating I think something to consider is how many hitters he faced that were juiced. Maybe he was juicing too, but it was hardly fair for any pitcher during that era.  

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Re: Clemens cheating I think something to consider is how many hitters he faced that were juiced. Maybe he was juicing too, but it was hardly fair for any pitcher during that era.  

If 70 or 80% of the league was juicing, which it seems probably is likely, then it was fair for everyone (more or less).  

On 8/22/2021 at 3:07 PM, shadow_operative said:

Indeed, Jim Brown had himself as the best running back of all time followed by Earl Campbell.  After that, Brown said you could rank the rest of the RB's wherever you wanted.

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If you open it up to other sports:

Stanford -- Elway/Tiger

Arizona State -- Phil/Barry Bonds

Baylor -- MIchael Johnson/Mike Singletary

Michigan -- Brady/Michael Phelps (may have a winner, although he didn't swim for them)

Houston -- Carl Lewis/Hakeem

Kansas -- Wilt/Gale Sayers

I will still take KD and Rocket over all those guys.  I'd probably go:

Stanford

Kansas

ASU

Michigan

Houston

Baylor

Those are all really good contributions though

I will still take KD and Rocket over all those guys.  I'd probably go:
Stanford
Kansas
ASU
Michigan
Houston
Baylor
Those are all really good contributions though

Hakeem is better than Durant. Let’s see Durant beat the Lakers with Robert Reid and Granny Waiters.

Carl Lewis/Hakeem are the top combo.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Hakeem is better than Durant. Let’s see Durant beat the Lakers with Robert Reid and Granny Waiters.

I probably don't disagree but they're starting to occupy very similar spots on many people's all time lists. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Roger Clemens is more iconic than Carl Lewis would be my response. 
I don’t know how you can compare someone in a fringe sport that nobody in particular cares about other than for one week every 4 years to a top 10 all time guy in America’s longest tenured and established major sport. That’s my argument for the UT contingent. Also I love Hakeem and had season tickets (my dad did- I went to every game) to the two title years. I will never say anything bad about Hakeem, he was awesome. I think it’s possible KD ends up with what’s considered a better career. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

Late to the party on the college rankings, but give me ASU over Texas.  Using various online rankings they have:

Barry Bonds - #3 MLB all time

*Phil Mickelson - #7 PGA all time

*James Harden - #32 NBA all time

Reggie Jackson - #38 MLB all time

(vs)

*Kevin Durant - #13 NBA all time

Roger Clemons - #15 MLB all time

Earl Campbell - #58 NFL all time

*Jordan Spieth - #31 PGA all time

Ben Crenshaw - #39 PGA all time

Rankings are subjective obviously.

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Late to the party on the college rankings, but give me ASU over Texas.  Using various online rankings they have:

Barry Bonds - #3 MLB all time

*Phil Mickelson - #7 PGA all time

*James Harden - #32 NBA all time

Reggie Jackson - #38 MLB all time

(vs)

*Kevin Durant - #13 NBA all time

Roger Clemons - #15 MLB all time

Earl Campbell - #58 NFL all time

*Jordan Spieth - #31 PGA all time

Ben Crenshaw - #39 PGA all time

Rankings are subjective obviously.

What crackpot fucking site has Phil as the 7th best golfer ever? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2