Week 9, 2023: Kansas State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

22 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Styles make fights, and we have matched up well with Kansas State’s style of play the last 6 years. They want to win in the trenches and we match up well there. They are also undersized on the DL which is why we have run it down their throat the last two years. Their best LB is out for the season and they haven’t played an offense that can test them on that since he went down.

Howard or Johnson don’t scare you throwing the ball and none of their skill guys are going to get behind the defense consistently. It’s all about containing the running game and having an answer for the 3-3-5.

17 hours ago, Zeus said:

Oh you lined up in 3-3-5?

Here's a delay/draw play run right up your ass for 8 yards every play. 

Oh you are bringing the heat?

Here's an RPO slant to AD for 25 yds. 

On defense there needs to be a sense of urgency taking away the fucking ball again. 

Anthony Hill has been a beast and Ford has been quietly just stacking up tackles. We need Finkley and Sorrel to feast. 

While their DE's are super lite at around 244lbs each, my worry is that our C and G combo won't be able to move their 340lb NT and we won't be able to make them commit numbers to defend the run game. Then they are sitting back in coverage, which is not where I want MM to be, Hopefully we run off tackle a bunch and abandon IZ for this game. If we can get them to walk some people down we should be able to pitch it over top and get the rpo game going.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

While their DE's are super lite at around 244lbs each, my worry is that our C and G combo won't be able to move their 340lb NT and we won't be able to make them commit numbers to defend the run game. Then they are sitting back in coverage, which is not where I want MM to be, Hopefully we run off tackle a bunch and abandon IZ for this game. If we can get them to walk some people down we should be able to pitch it over top and get the rpo game going.

He is 340 but from what I've seen of him he is kinda a JAG. Teams have run up the middle of K-State. Our interior OL tends to struggle more against smaller guys with active motors who can move and shed blocks easier than the big space eaters.

Their best LB went down with a season ending injury week 3 and they were run on the next two weeks against UCF and OSU and gave up some points. Tech was averaging over 6 yards a carry but abandoned the run with their backup QB because Joey McGuire is the best coach in the Big 12. TCU averaged over 5 yards a carry.

Kansas State was better last year defensively than this year and we ran them over in Manhattan. The good offenses they've faced (Missouri, UCF, OSU to an extent) haven't had a ton of resistance. I think we can get to around the 30 point mark even with a backup QB.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He is 340 but from what I've seen of him he is kinda a JAG. Teams have run up the middle of K-State. Our interior OL tends to struggle more against smaller guys with active motors who can move and shed blocks easier than the big space eaters.

Their best LB went down with a season ending injury week 3 and they were run on the next two weeks against UCF and OSU and gave up some points. Tech was averaging over 6 yards a carry but abandoned the run with their backup QB because Joey McGuire is the best coach in the Big 12. TCU averaged over 5 yards a carry.

Kansas State was better last year defensively than this year and we ran them over in Manhattan. The good offenses they've faced (Missouri, UCF, OSU to an extent) haven't had a ton of resistance. I think we can get to around the 30 point mark even with a backup QB.

You are dead right about everything you just typed. Absolutely everything. However, I have seen us struggle so much vs anyone who is physical at that position that I just can't help but worry. Ole buddy anchors the middle better than the guy they had last year. Majors struggles against physical players man. We have to have to have to be able to force them to bring numbers or else its going to be a long day for Murph.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If he was on Texas he would be PFF's 8th highest graded DL on the team.  Here are the Texas and K St DL grades:

image.thumb.png.952b41202bdb93301a49b0ef26461012.png

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

However, I have seen us struggle so much vs anyone who is physical at that position that I just can't help but worry. Ole buddy anchors the middle better than the guy they had last year

Will have to agree to disagree here. Eli Huggins was their NT last year and while he was only about 295-300 pounds, he was a good player.

• Like 1

Based off the numbers this year you can guarantee if the run game is there then Sark is going to take it. I know there’s a contingent on here who don’t believe that but even with Ewers playing better we like to run the ball. 54 more runs than passes to be exact. Brooks, Baxter and red should have a good day. 

IMG_5571.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
If he was on Texas he would be PFF's 8th highest graded DL on the team.  Here are the Texas and K St DL grades:

Sweat and Murphy are going to be missed next year. Those two are just what we need for a tough non-con plus SEC schedule.

FWIW - Nahlin (IT) thinks Murphy is a possible return for 2024 - likely to be a focus for NIL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Vegas doesn't think K-State is a world-beater. 

They've played 2 P5 teams over .500 and lost both games. The hype they've built in the last 3 weeks is against 3-5 Tech (a game they might have lost if not for Tech's 3rd string QB), 4-4 TCU, and 3-5 Houston. 

2/3 of those were at home too. I can see why Vegas isn't a believer. 

Being within 5 of Texas at home implies they think they are no more than a couple points worse at a neutral site. I suppose they could just have a high value on Ewers and would have Texas giving well into the double digits in this game with him but otherwise that implies a relatively high power rating for KSU.

On 10/29/2023 at 6:43 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

Based on nothing but scoreboard I like our chances if the D has a good outing and keeps KSU under 30 

Winning based on the scoreboard is the best kind.

KState's offense is really good, and their defense isn't bad either.  I'm surprised the line is that high with all our injuries.

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tech was averaging over 6 yards a carry but abandoned the run with their backup QB because Joey McGuire is the best coach in the Big 12.

It wasn't just their backup. It was their 3rd string QB.

Tech could have won that game against K-State if they just ran the ball. Instead Joey McGuire thought their 3rd string QB was Joe Montana and ended up throwing 3 interceptions. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38780889/steve-sarkisian-makes-texas-cfp-case-ahead-first-rankings

Per Sark:

• #25 KSU shows the strength of Big 12, which may have been perceived to be weaker than it is while some other conferences may have been over-hyped
  • Texas has the best win this year so far. Despite SEC's perseption as a super-strong league, we don't see a bunch of SEC teams go to Bama and win
  • We just beat a 5-2 team 36-6 with our backup QB. Texas is a very versatile team

Good to see some confidence from the coach after AP had Oregon jump us. KSU will be a quality win and will be a lot tougher than BYU. KSU destroyed TCU and Houston in their last 2 games. The defending Big 12 champs are always a tough match up for us, going back to the start of this conference.

They're pretty good. We should still win may be not convincingly. I'll take the ugly conference W's any day.

Hook'em

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Winning based on the scoreboard is the best kind.

KState's offense is really good, and their defense isn't bad either.  I'm surprised the line is that high with all our injuries.

They became a good offense once they started running 2/3rds of the time instead of 1/2 of the time. 

We've stopped the run well all year outside of the OU game. If we can make Kstate pass to win, it bodes very well for the outcome of the game.

MM has to protect the ball, but I think we're gonna have solid success on the ground against them.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah KSU's DL looked small and pedestrian. They miss Felix A-U up there. Houston ran the ball well until they were forced to get away from it by the game script. Bit of a stoppable force meets a movable object thing going on with the Texas IOL but the opportunity to run the ball is certainly there.

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Based off the numbers this year you can guarantee if the run game is there then Sark is going to take it. I know there’s a contingent on here who don’t believe that

lol you are really out here just inventing grievances in your head

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Nahlin (IT) thinks Murphy is a possible return for 2024 - likely to be a focus for NIL.

I mean all bets are off if he gets a 1st-2nd round grade - I honestly have no idea where he is projected at the moment - but interior DL are one of the positions that benefit most from playing longer in college. He is just a third year guy too, no RS year. The staff can certainly point to the benefit of an extra year for Ojomo, Coburn, and Sweat. Even if I wasn't Texas fan I'd think it would be wise for him to return unless he had a legitimate shot at going in round 1.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

They became a good offense once they started running 2/3rds of the time instead of 1/2 of the time. 

Yeah, the way you beat us is by challenging our secondary. Not running the ball. 

This is probably the reason we've won 6 in a row. They're normally a run-first team and we've been pretty good at stopping the run in recent years. 

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean all bets are off if he gets a 1st-2nd round grade - I honestly have no idea where he is projected at the moment - but interior DL are one of the positions that benefit most from playing longer in college. He is just a third year guy too, no RS year. The staff can certainly point to the benefit of an extra year for Ojomo, Coburn, and Sweat. Even if I wasn't Texas fan I'd think it would be wise for him to return unless he had a legitimate shot at going in round 1.

I don’t think Murphy will be much of a measurables guy.  He won't be Poona Ford'ed, but he won't go high either.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/29/2023 at 6:39 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Styles make fights, and we have matched up well with Kansas State’s style of play the last 6 years. They want to win in the trenches and we match up well there. They are also undersized on the DL which is why we have run it down their throat the last two years. Their best LB is out for the season and they haven’t played an offense that can test them on that since he went down.

Howard or Johnson don’t scare you throwing the ball and none of their skill guys are going to get behind the defense consistently. It’s all about containing the running game and having an answer for the 3-3-5.

This is on point. Texas plays well vs physical teams. Stopping KSU run game is the key. I am going to guess Texas gets a big dose of option football. It would coaching malpractice if they don’t run it. Handling the option will be critical. Passing game they picked on Houston’s safeties mercilessly. Can’t give up explosives there. 

Offensively, Texas needs to run the ball. Sark will likely use a lot of the Big 12 formation with Agbo. Last year he ran a lot of unbalanced formations out of that look vs 3-3-5 and carved up KSU and ISU in the run game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Forgot to add. If Sark starts out with a short pass into the flat, I may punch him.  It’s beyond predictable at this pt 

He’s wants to build Murphys confidence with a quick completion even if that completion puts them in 2nd and 15.  

• Rage+1 1

On 10/29/2023 at 2:46 PM, ousux said:
On 10/29/2023 at 2:23 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:
We haven't had his crew for a conference game yet.  Figure its got to be coming at some point.

Yormark is saving him for late season. Pull the rug out from under us just as we're about to lock up a spot in the CCG.

The deputy commissioner did specifically mention Kansas St and Iowa State...

"They would rather get beat by Alabama than Kansas State or Florida than Iowa State."

Both are scheduled for late in the season. Coincidence? 🤔🤔

What I'd like to see this week against KSU:

- KSU gives up yardage to good backs. Horns need to run the ball 45 to 60 times this week, depending on the number of plays. Brooks needs his 20 to 25 carries. I hope we have a personnel wrinkle for this game. I'd love to see something like Red motioning from the slot to the backfield and vice versa in some 2 RB sets, maybe even some inside zone with a pitch option. Not necessarily Maalik running down the line but having the option to hand it off or pull it and pitch it to an outside back. Blue and Robinson would be good options on that pitch. Get the ball in Red's hands this week. Maalik, when he's focused, has a great ball fake and he needs to use it this week. Go back and look at Brooks's last touchdown against Houston. One of the reasons that play worked is because Brooks was almost through the hole before Maalik let him have it. 

- Johntay on the field a few more plays with Worthy, Mitchell, and Sanders. I realize this hurts our blocking on the outside, but a few more targets to open up the deep ball with more speed and athleticism on the field together. 

- Extra attention this week in practice on getting  Worthy in position to make big plays in the return game.

- Keep the passing game in check with RPO. Run it down their throats with options and make them pick their poison. Keep the passing game to 20 to 25 attempts, unless the RPO pass option is favorable. The objective should be to limit turnovers and negative plays and play defense. Don't allow KSU to exploit Maalik's lack of escapability or force him into mistakes.

In other words, give KSU a piece of their own medicine. They want to control the game, limit turnovers, and wear you down. With Maalik, keep it simple. If Texas wins the turnover battle and rushes for 225 to 250 yards, even if it takes 50 or 60 carries, they probably win this game. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

lol you are really out here just inventing grievances in your head

In sarks tenure has there not been a loud buzzing in the back ground about how we don’t “run the damn ball” when we should? It’s easy to get get lost in the flow of the game and forget that Sark likes to stay well balanced and we run a lot. It was posted in the game thread last week, somebody quoted sark saying his game plan wouldn’t change with Malik being in for Quinn and there was a group of people who said it’s because sark is stubborn and can’t be a good “game day coach.” We ran the ball more than we passed, yet again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

In sarks tenure has there not been a loud buzzing in the back ground about how we don’t “run the damn ball” when we should? It’s easy to get get lost in the flow of the game and forget that Sark likes to stay well balanced and we run a lot. It was posted in the game thread last week, somebody quoted sark saying his game plan wouldn’t change with Malik being in for Quinn and there was a group of people who said it’s because sark is stubborn and can’t be a good “game day coach.” We ran the ball more than we passed, yet again. 

That's because they hang on his every word as if he is being totally transparent at the mic. "They showed us something they never showed on film". "The offense won't change with Maalik". He knows what to expect from these teams every week, and isn't going to give us his gameplan. Opponents watch press conferences too. He also most def changed the offense with Murph last weekend. BYU had an extra man in the box and yet we only threw it 25 times. Almost all the routes he gave Murph were deep, rpo, or out-breaking. They were safer throws to keep him away from trouble, but still punish the defense for numbers vs the run game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1st 2 plays of  games this year.. Can you find a pattern? 

RICE
1st and 10 at TEX25 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Whittington,Jordan for 7 yards to the TEX32 (Williams,Marcus; Wyatt,Plae).
2nd and 3 at TEX32 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Worthy,Xavier for 0 yards to the TEX32 (Taylor,Gabriel).
  BAMA
1st and 10 at TEX25 (15:00) No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Baxter,CJ for 11 yards to the TEX36 (Key,Jaylen), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at TEX36 (14:30) No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 2 yards to the TEX38 (Marshall,Trezmen; Downs,Caleb).

Wyoming
TEX35 PENALTY TEX False Start (Conner,Hayden) 5 yards from TEX35 to TEX30. NO PLAY.
1st and 15 at TEX30 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass incomplete short middle to Worthy,Xavier broken up by Davis,Tyrecus .
2nd and 15 at TEX30 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass incomplete short left to Mitchell,Adonai.
  BAYLOR
st and 10 at TEX42 Texas drive start at 12:47.
1st and 10 at TEX42 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 5 yards loss to the UT37 (Jenkins,Caden).
2nd and 15 at TEX37 No Huddle-Shotgun Brooks,Jonathon rush middle for 5 yards gain to the UT42 (Smith Jr.,Mike; Lanz,Cooper).
  Kansas
1st and 10 at TEX12 Texas drive start at 12:51.
1st and 10 at TEX12 No Huddle-Shotgun Brooks,Jonathon rush middle for 8 yards gain to the TEX20 (Young,Craig).
2nd and 2 at TEX20 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short middle to Mitchell,Adonai for 12 yards to the TEX32 (Dotson,Ra'Mello), 1ST DOWN.
  OU
1st and 10 at TEX19 Texas drive start at 14:53.
1st and 10 at TEX19 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Worthy,Xavier for 2 yards loss to the TEX17 (Washington,Woodi).
2nd and 12 at TEX17 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass intercepted by Williams,Gentry at TEX22, End Of Play.
  Houston
1st and 10 at UT`25 Texas drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at UT`25 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 10 yards to the UT35 (George,Brian), out of bounds, 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at UT`35 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short middle to Helm,Gunnar for 6 yards to the UT41 (Haulcy,A.J.).

BYU

1st and 10 at TEX25 Texas drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at TEX25 No Huddle-Shotgun Murphy,Maalik pass complete short right to Sanders,Ja'Tavion for 2 yards loss to the TEX23 (Wakley,Crew).
2nd and 12 at TEX23 No Huddle-Shotgun Murphy,Maalik pass complete short middle to Mitchell,Adonai for 16 yards to the TEX39 (Slade,Ethan), 1ST DOWN.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Because Deions people will steal it at halftime?

So you think the only lroom chains get stolen from is Deion's or maybe they are the only ones with a video guy following the team around catching that sort of candid dialogue? Hmm

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

1st 2 plays of  games this year.. Can you find a pattern? 

RICE
1st and 10 at TEX25 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Whittington,Jordan for 7 yards to the TEX32 (Williams,Marcus; Wyatt,Plae).
2nd and 3 at TEX32 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Worthy,Xavier for 0 yards to the TEX32 (Taylor,Gabriel).
  BAMA
1st and 10 at TEX25 (15:00) No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Baxter,CJ for 11 yards to the TEX36 (Key,Jaylen), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at TEX36 (14:30) No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 2 yards to the TEX38 (Marshall,Trezmen; Downs,Caleb).

Wyoming
TEX35 PENALTY TEX False Start (Conner,Hayden) 5 yards from TEX35 to TEX30. NO PLAY.
1st and 15 at TEX30 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass incomplete short middle to Worthy,Xavier broken up by Davis,Tyrecus .
2nd and 15 at TEX30 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass incomplete short left to Mitchell,Adonai.
  BAYLOR
st and 10 at TEX42 Texas drive start at 12:47.
1st and 10 at TEX42 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 5 yards loss to the UT37 (Jenkins,Caden).
2nd and 15 at TEX37 No Huddle-Shotgun Brooks,Jonathon rush middle for 5 yards gain to the UT42 (Smith Jr.,Mike; Lanz,Cooper).
  Kansas
1st and 10 at TEX12 Texas drive start at 12:51.
1st and 10 at TEX12 No Huddle-Shotgun Brooks,Jonathon rush middle for 8 yards gain to the TEX20 (Young,Craig).
2nd and 2 at TEX20 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short middle to Mitchell,Adonai for 12 yards to the TEX32 (Dotson,Ra'Mello), 1ST DOWN.
  OU
1st and 10 at TEX19 Texas drive start at 14:53.
1st and 10 at TEX19 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short left to Worthy,Xavier for 2 yards loss to the TEX17 (Washington,Woodi).
2nd and 12 at TEX17 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass intercepted by Williams,Gentry at TEX22, End Of Play.
  Houston
1st and 10 at UT`25 Texas drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at UT`25 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short right to Worthy,Xavier for 10 yards to the UT35 (George,Brian), out of bounds, 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at UT`35 No Huddle-Shotgun Ewers,Quinn pass complete short middle to Helm,Gunnar for 6 yards to the UT41 (Haulcy,A.J.).

BYU

1st and 10 at TEX25 Texas drive start at 15:00.
1st and 10 at TEX25 No Huddle-Shotgun Murphy,Maalik pass complete short right to Sanders,Ja'Tavion for 2 yards loss to the TEX23 (Wakley,Crew).
2nd and 12 at TEX23 No Huddle-Shotgun Murphy,Maalik pass complete short middle to Mitchell,Adonai for 16 yards to the TEX39 (Slade,Ethan), 1ST DOWN.

Looks like a lot of first downs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1