The Home Stretch - Big 12 Championship Scenarios

Js1

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I thought Oklahoma State would lose this game but being down 45-3 to a 4-5 team has to be one of the worst performances so far this year. 

Only scoring 3 points against this UCF defense is bad. 

I also assumed OSU might gag on it today but not to this extent. This is extremely pathetic 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's early but definitely looks like OU has their hands full tonight against WV. 

They also have the ref crew you do not want in a game like this. 

Good. Fuck them. 

As much as I want to see Texas kick them square in the nuts in the championship game, I'm also fine with them losing out. Fuck OU. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So if we beat ISU does that clinch a title game spot? Or does something else have to happen?

I'm pretty sure we still would need help.

There are still 4 teams with 2 losses: OSU, OU, KSU and ISU. We would knock off ISU, but that leaves a potential for a 4 way tie with a loss to Tech, and I don't know how that goes.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

Who goes in a 4 way tie with Texas, osu, ou, kstate? (Assume Kstate beats ISu)

I can’t make sense of the tiebreakers

Amongst those four,  osu is 2-0, (ou and kstate) we’re 1-1 (kstate W, ou L), ou 1-1 (Texas W, osu L),  kstate 0-2 (Texas, osu)

is it osu and ou? 

or does it go to deeper tiebreakers because they don’t all play each other?

Edited by UTexasFight

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Amongst those four,  osu is 2-0, (ou and kstate) we’re 1-1 (kstate W, ou L), ou 1-1 (Texas W, osu L),  kstate 0-2 (Texas, osu)

is it osu and ou?

I don’t know if this is accurate

It's going to be this way for all conferences going to this 16 team bullshit without divisions.  Going into the final week is going to be like the final week of the NFL with 3 paragraphs and 8 subparagraphs on who could end up in the title game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Big 12 Football Tiebreaking Procedures 

Multiple-Team Ties

In the event of a tie between more than two teams, the following procedures will be used. After one team has an advantage and is “seeded”, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tiebreaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure. If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.

1. Head-to-head (best cumulative win percentage in games among the tied teams). If not, every tied team has played each other, go to step 2. 
  2. Record against the next highest placed common opponent in the standings (based on record in all games played within the conference), proceeding through the standings.
    1. When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s win percentage against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
  3. Win percentage against all common conference opponents (must be common among all teams involved in the tie).
  4. Combined win percentage in conference games of conference opponents (ie, strength of conference schedule).
  5. Total number of wins in a 12-game season. The following conditions will apply to the calculation of the total number of wins:
    1. Only one win against a team from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision or lower division will be counted annually. 
    2. Any games that are exempted from counting against the annual maximum number of football contests per NCAA rules. (current Bylaw 17.10.5.2.1) shall not be included.
  6. Highest ranking by SportSource Analytics (team Rating Score metric) following the last weekend of regular-season games.
  7. Coin toss 
4 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

osu is 2-0, we’re 1-1, ou 1-1, kstate 0-2

is it osu and ou?

Assuming your scenario - it would go:

1. OSU is in on Tie breaker 1.

2. Restart going with 3 teams. I think KSU is eliminated on tie breaker 1 again

3. Then restart with OU vs Texas as a 2 team tie and we lose on the H2H

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Multiple-Team Ties

In the event of a tie between more than two teams, the following procedures will be used. After one team has an advantage and is “seeded”, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tiebreaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure. If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.

1. Head-to-head (best cumulative win percentage in games among the tied teams). If not, every tied team has played each other, go to step 2. 
  2. Record against the next highest placed common opponent in the standings (based on record in all games played within the conference), proceeding through the standings.
    1. When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s win percentage against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
  3. Win percentage against all common conference opponents (must be common among all teams involved in the tie).
  4. Combined win percentage in conference games of conference opponents (ie, strength of conference schedule).
  5. Total number of wins in a 12-game season. The following conditions will apply to the calculation of the total number of wins:
    1. Only one win against a team from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision or lower division will be counted annually. 
    2. Any games that are exempted from counting against the annual maximum number of football contests per NCAA rules. (current Bylaw 17.10.5.2.1) shall not be included.
  6. Highest ranking by SportSource Analytics (team Rating Score metric) following the last weekend of regular-season games.
  7. Coin toss 

Tiebreaker 1 is disregarded unless all the involved teams have played one another.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Multiple-Team Ties

7. Coin toss 

This was my read/fear too

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Multiple-Team Ties

7. Coin toss 

1 can’t decide anything because Texas and osu haven’t played. 

if the other tweet is accurate, seems like it would shake out to did you beat or lose to isu.  

but if we beat isu but lose to tech, that would shake out differently.   Or we need for it to not be a 4 way tie and maybe it goes in our favor for some 3 team ties?  But let’s just win the next two and let the other teams worry about that. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 minute ago, WBT said:

The first comma shouldn't be there and makes the sentence unintelligible.

Yeah, that's the source of my confusion. I get where they are going with that, but their sentence doesn't actually say that.

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Who do we play if OSU, OU, and K State are tied at the end of the season and we win out?

Hard to say, in that situation KSU would not have played OU, so it would go to tie breaker 2 and once you go there, you can't really know until the end of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

Yeah, that's the source of my confusion. I get where they are going with that, but their sentence doesn't actually say that.

Hard to say, in that situation KSU would not have played OU, so it would go to tie breaker 2 and once you go there, you can't really know until the end of the season.

Who has the edge right now?

Yeah I am aware losing to Iowa State would fuck us unless the stars really align. I was just curious how essential the game against Tech would be if we Texas does win.

How likely would it be for us to make the title game if we beat ISU? Though I guess we have plenty of time to think about that after the game next week if Texas manages to pull it off.

Edited by Valmy77

12 minutes ago, Kwix said:

In that scenario, I don't think tie breaker 1 applies, because not all of the teams have played each other. 

Then you start at the top and go down the rankings looking for an opponent all 4 teams have in common. 

So who are common opponents between Texas, ou, osu, kstate?

Edit: looks like iowa st and kansas

Looks like k-state hold the keys (finishing with kansas and iowa st)

Edited by UTexasFight

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I am aware losing to Iowa State would fuck us unless the stars really align. I was just curious how essential the game against Tech would be if we Texas does win.

How likely would it be for us to make the title game if we beat ISU? Though I guess we have plenty of time to think about that after the game next week if Texas manages to pull it off.

We have an 80% chance of making the CCG if we beat ISU but lose to Tech. Approximately. 

this is a good tool - https://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=fb

Edited by Park Gothic
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Seems like the same flow path would apply, but only osu would get removed at the #5 isu game result. Then does it start over with the remaining teams?

Just now, Park Gothic said:

We have an 80% chance of making the CCG if we beat ISU but lose to Tech. Approximately. 

Good enough for me.

Are ticket prices going to fall? Or only go up as this comes in to focus?

Struggling  on dropping $330 for end zone 2nd level right now…

when 14k tickets haven’t been distributed to the participating teams.

but those tickets appear to be around the corners so not exactly prime seats …but 15-20% of the total seats in the place hitting the market should bring prices for everything down some, no? 
…unless it’s Texas/ou…

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

So who are common opponents between Texas, ou, osu, kstate?

• UT
    • Baylor W
    • KU W
    • OU L
    • UH W
    • BYU W
    • KSU W
    • TCU W
    • ISU TBD
    • TTU TBD
  • Oklahoma
    • Cincinnati W
    • ISU W
    • UT W
    • UCF W
    • KU L
    • OSU L
    • WVU W
    • BYU TBD
    • TCU TBD
  • Oklahoma State
    • ISU L
    • KSU W
    • KU W
    • WVU W
    • Cincinnati W
    • OU W
    • UCF L
    • UH TBD
      BYU TBD
  • KSU
    • UCF W
    • OSU L
      TTU W
    • TCU W
    • UH W
    • UT L
      BU W
    • KU TBD
    • ISU TBD

Among all 4, the only common opponents would be KU and ISU.  UT is 1-0 with ISU to play, OU is 1-1, OSU is 1-1, and KSU hasn't played either yet.

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Good enough for me.

Are ticket prices going to fall? Or only go up as this comes in to focus?

Struggling  on dropping $330 for end zone 2nd level right now…

when 14k tickets haven’t been distributed to the participating teams.

but those tickets appear to be around the corners so not exactly prime seats …but 15-20% of the total seats in the place hitting the market should bring prices for everything down some, no? 
…unless it’s Texas/ou…

meh, f jerryworld.  save your money for the bowl/playoff

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

What isn't clear to me is what if it's a 3-way tie among KSU, OU, and OSU for 2nd?  You would think OSU would be in from beating the other two but by reading the rules, it sounds like H2H wouldn't factor in because KSU didn't play OU.  But  that makes no fucking sense.

Here is a scenario, 

we lose to Iowa state as Brooks recovers from injury, and we beat Tech while Brooks is still out.. then Brooks is healthy for the Big12 game and we win the Big12.   We're obviously not anywhere near the playoffs but we get in a pretty good bowl game and win that bowl game.  

11-2 or 12-2?

Just now, WBT said:

What isn't clear to me is what if it's a 3-way tie among KSU, OU, and OSU for 2nd?  You would think OSU would be in from beating the other two but by reading the rules, it sounds like H2H wouldn't factor in because KSU didn't play OU.  But  that makes no fucking sense.

Yeah this is what is messing with my head.

but I think you’re right 

Here are the common opponents, with the results that would end up with the multi-way tie at 2 losses - EXCEPT Texas, because who our loss to (to end up with a 2nd loss starts to matter - ISU or Tech), also note, that a loss to ISU would leave them in the mix for getting in the 2 loss tie breaker, which then changes a lot of this.

KU - Texas (L), OSU (L), OU (W), KSU (L)
ISU - OSU (W), OU (L), Texas (TBD), KSU (L)

WVU - OSU (L), OU (L)
Tech - KSU (L), Texas (TBD)
TCU - Texas (L), OU (L)
BYU - Texas (L), OU (L), OSU (L)

15 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Who has the edge right now? 

This is asked in relation to if Texas wins out and there is a OSU,OU,KSU 3 way tie at 2 losses. And it depends on who is higher KU or ISU:

(check my math)

KU finishes higher: OU is eliminated on tiebreaker 2 for losing to them. KSU-OSU played and OSU won - so OSU would finish #2

ISU finishes higher: OSU is eliminated on tiebreaker 2 for losing to them. KSU and OU haven't played, so then the question is: does Texas count as the first common opponent? If yes, then OU plays us, if not, then it would be KU and KSU would play us again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1