Baxter is a man-child with an extremely bright future.

TexArcher

• immamac changed the title to Baxter is a man-child with an extremely bright future.

There are no freshmen left in November, he's been growing and learning every week even if it wasn't apparent with Brooks taking the snaps.  Quick to and in the hole (TWSS!) and always seemed to be going forward.  It is all about picking up the blitz/pass blocking and being a receiver out of the backfield now.  

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

20 for 117.  5.9 ypc.  

He gave us almost exactly what J Brooks had been giving us.

Our running back Mount Rushmore is about to have about 8 heads.  CJ is gonna be a star.

His recruitment was my favorite 2023 signing with Hall a close 2nd.

Gave me visions of Benson & Johnson

42 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I kind of wonder if knowing he was "THE MAN" tonight made a bit of a difference.  When you are not the man and get less chances you play tentatively worrying about fucking up and losing whatever those limited chances are.  Tonight he knew that wasn't happening.

Also running backs need rhythm. 

Sark is smart about making one guy "the guy" and everyone else is a change of pace or a breather or gaget guy. 

I don't think running back by committee works well, guys get more comfortable with more carries. Get stronger as the game goes on. 

• Hook 'Em 3

He ran really well today.  I saw one part of his game that needs work though - YAC.  I don't know if that can be coached or if he just has to get more experience and carries.  It seemed like he went down on the first contact nearly every run.  I saw him break 1 tackle and went down on the 2nd contact a couple of yards later.  I mean his average yards per carry were over 5 so that is really good, but imagine if he can break more tackles or learn to stay on his feet more often.

He might get more yards if Sark puts Blue in with him a few times to force the D to focus on both of them, but again he went over 100 yards and looked good.  I won't complain about that at all - I just wonder if he can get better in that aspect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking forward to seeing how he develops after another off-season of S&C and practice. Blue also looked better this game. In particular, in between the tackles. Not off the charts, but better than I've seen from him in the past. I still want to see them protect the ball better though. That's a clear coaching deficiency.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I kind of wonder if knowing he was "THE MAN" tonight made a bit of a difference.  When you are not the man and get less chances you play tentatively worrying about fucking up and losing whatever those limited chances are.  Tonight he knew that wasn't happening.

I think running lots of counter helped him a lot.  I don't believe we ran as much inside zone as we normally do.   He definitely seemed more decisive.  I do think knowing there's no safety net (Brooks) to bail you out helps.  He gutted out a tough performance.  Wait until he adds another 5-8 lbs of muscle this off-season and gets closer to the 225-230 he'll eventually carry.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Definitely. He's gonna be a dude starting next season. He's clearly taking his lumps and still not understanding the position to its fullest, but when he does, he's going to be an unstoppable freight train, and anyone in his way will be punished accordingly. Glad we have him to represent our university and team. He HAS to stop carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, tho. That's gonna cost him at some point. I'm surprised Choice hasn't gotten on to him for that. 

He, along with Brooks (when healthy), Blue (assuming he doesn't transfer), Wisner, Christian Clark, Jerrick Gibson, and hopefully Harlem Berry/Jordan Davison. We are stocked, locked, and ready to go. With Choice, we are in great hands going forward. 

Gotta give the big uglies up front some mad props for a lot of those holes. They did some nasty run blocking 🤘

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Definitely. He's gonna be a dude starting next season. He's clearly taking his lumps and still not understanding the position to its fullest, but when he does, he's going to be an unstoppable freight train, and anyone in his way will be punished accordingly. Glad we have him to represent our university and team. He HAS to stop carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, tho. That's gonna cost him at some point. I'm surprised Choice hasn't gotten on to him for that. 

He, along with Brooks (when healthy), Blue (assuming he doesn't transfer), Wisner, Christian Clark, Jerrick Gibson, and hopefully Harlem Berry/Jordan Davison. We are stocked, locked, and ready to go. With Choice, we are in great hands going forward. 

Gotta give the big uglies up front some mad props for a lot of those holes. They did some nasty run blocking 🤘

Let’s let him do something before we say all that.  Lol.   Haven’t looked at his YAC today yet but I doubt it’s great, he barley pinned off guys and got yards a couple times but one on one he did his usual.  Blue ran much harder when given the chance.  18 carries and one yard of YAC, ten and zero?  I sure hope he gets better like you think he will….

IMG_4892.png

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Remember all week when a contingent of Surly experts were saying Sark needed to start Blue because Baxter didn't have "it"?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I was one of them.  Glad to be wrong and eating a big old shitburger.  Baxter was a freaking beast last night in a huge game against a salty defense.  

6 hours ago, Acropora said:

I think running lots of counter helped him a lot.  I don't believe we ran as much inside zone as we normally do.   He definitely seemed more decisive.  I do think knowing there's no safety net (Brooks) to bail you out helps.  He gutted out a tough performance.  Wait until he adds another 5-8 lbs of muscle this off-season and gets closer to the 225-230 he'll eventually carry.  

This.. Baxter ran in a gap scheme in HS. You have give Sark credit for tweaking the run game. Saw more gap schemes last night, GT Counter was a killer all game. 

• Hook 'Em 4