2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm ok with BloU having to retool their entire defense over the off-season..and right before beginning SEC play. Took us 3 seasons to get things right and it's still a work in progress in some areas.

I'm ok with BloU having to retool their entire defense over the off-season..and right before beginning SEC play. Took us 3 seasons to get things right and it's still a work in progress in some areas.

I mean it’s Venables’s system. I don’t think it’s that consequential of a move on the field. Bigger picture it gives them a chance to add another plus recruiter
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s not a true DB coaching search without Jimmy Lake and Jerry Gray being mentioned. Just like all DL coaching searches used to start with Tosh Lupoi.

We are right on schedule.

Shocked that Clint hurtt hasn't been thrown out yet 😂

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Raymond was still a recruiting witch at Florida. Development was questionable though.

Getting players like Filsaime and Mack to commit to that sorry as defense and for a coach that will be fired in a few months is all you need to know. 

Whos the real witch, the one who got them to commit or the one who got them to flip?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Terry has developed a lot of good safeties at his previous stops but for some reason we hired him as a CB coach with Gideon at S. Ideally he'd move to safety coach and we hire a CB coach instead of Gideon, but that all seems unlikely

Personally Gideon has been far more hamstrung by talent issues he inherited then Joseph has at CB.

Gideon is/was highly thought of as a rising DB coach.  Joseph has a long established rep as a plus recruiter and bad coach. 

Personally keep Gideon at safety and send Jospeh to LSU.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I’d love to have the perfect coaching staff, but outside of that, I think continuity is undervalued. We’re going to enter year 4 with the same OC and DC since when? 

Also worth mentioning that the OL and DL coaches would also have been the same for 4 years straight. That has not happened since Oscar Giles (does it really count?) and Mac McWhorter. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I mean it’s Venables’s system. I don’t think it’s that consequential of a move on the field. Bigger picture it gives them a chance to add another plus recruiter

Is Zac Alley a plus recruiter?

15 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Also worth mentioning that the OL and DL coaches would also have been the same for 4 years straight. That has not happened since Oscar Giles (does it really count?) and Mac McWhorter. 

You just made a pretty brutal argument against the value of continuity. Christ. 

Step Brothers Mf GIF by reactionseditor

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We had Tim Nunez for at least four years. 

yup, 4 years coaching entire line, another year coaching just guards and centers (lol, if that isn't an indictment not sure what is).  Also, felt like about 10 years so definitely continuity.  

When I looked it up, found out he wrote a book on offensive line coaching.  I think it was titled "Offensive Line Fundamentals - How to Ignore them and turn 5 stars into 2 stars"

• Haha 1

Yes, at face value that is a loss on my part. The intent was to portray the continuity as meaningful for development of an individual prospect recruited by a particular coach.  

Believe me, I have no reason to stand on a hill for Giles or Mac at this hour 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Seems like fantasy, but sure, if you can get that dude, get him.

Other guys I like for various reasons:

-Mike Reed (Clemson) - He's had multiple guys drafted, he's been recruited by other programs every year and stays with Dabo, so it's probably nearly impossible to get him.

-Evan Cooper (Nebraska) - Young and has coached under an excellent defensive coach. Knows Texas and the area. Probably a second tier kind of guy, but I like guys that have learned and been retained under smart defensive coaches.

-Aazaar Abdul-Rahim (BC) - This might be my favorite. He's had CBs and DBs win some form of All Conference almost every season he's coached. He pupiled inside of the Saban machine for two years and then cut his teeth coaching at Maryland. The dude can recruit lights out. Hafley has done everything he can to fend off suitors by promoting the dude 2 or 3 times. He can recruit all over, but east coast and southeast for sure.

Not that we're currently in the market for the role (yet), but knock him off the board

24 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

interesting that bobby felt comfortable enough to announce that rather than just a blurb on his podcast. also... multiple schools? who else thought they could afford him I wonder.

Probably caused Bobby talked to Davis's agent.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.9702b883c998ae9b953db602973f8a5e.png

I don’t live in Austin, but if that’s Rod Babers’ station, then I can see them having a connection with Akina and getting some intel. And yes, it would probably be Akina as an analyst/advisor type deal.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Do two monumental assholes cancel each other out?

How did Jimbo and Petrino work out?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This board will go wild if Akina comes as an analyst. Half the people on here want him as an on-field coach

It will be like the QB/backup debate except for DB/akina haha

Just now, Tex-19 said:

This is just based on Bobby's report btw. Haven't seen anyone else report Bo staying other than Bobby.

STFU holy shit man.