2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

He was pretty good in the NFL. Not shitting on the hire, just wondering about the gap in his resume. Was he coaching somewhere in 21, 22, 23? He was a coaching intern for the Steelers in 2019 and the DB coach for Missouri State in 2020, but what has he been doing in the meantime? 

spacer.png

But since you're asking, maybe peep his instagram page? https://www.instagram.com/southcity22/?hl=en

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, MrBig said:

He was pretty good in the NFL. Not shitting on the hire, just wondering about the gap in his resume. Was he coaching somewhere in 21, 22, 23? He was a coaching intern for the Steelers in 2019 and the DB coach for Missouri State in 2020, but what has he been doing in the meantime? 

Candidate for post of the yr

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, bluto said:

Candidate for post of the yr

I think this is a good hire since he played for years in the league and has a Super Bowl ring. His Wikipedia page stopped at 2020 so I’m asking what he’s been up to since I don’t have Instagram and I didn’t see anything on Twitter. You guys are getting defensive like I said something bad about him when I simply asked what he’s been doing prior to getting hired here. Excuse me for asking a few questions about a new hire on our coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I think this is a good hire since he played for years in the league and has a Super Bowl ring. His Wikipedia page stopped at 2020 so I’m asking what he’s been up to since I don’t have Instagram and I didn’t see anything on Twitter. You guys are getting defensive like I said something bad about him when I simply asked what he’s been doing prior to getting hired here. Excuse me for asking a few questions about a new hire on our coaching staff.

This says he took some time off to be with family, but was hired by the Cowboys last summer as part of the Bill Walsh Coaching Fellowship.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/former-steelers-cb-william-gay-lands-new-college-coaching-job/

32 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Why do you have a problem with hiring Gay? Would you prefer Derrick Strait?

22 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I don't think Strait would be as willing to receive an analyst position.

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What would they do during the bye week?

… another cheesy debate?

23 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

This says he took some time off to be with family, but was hired by the Cowboys last summer as part of the Bill Walsh Coaching Fellowship.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/01/former-steelers-cb-william-gay-lands-new-college-coaching-job/

I don't know man, apparently they never ran it by @MrBig...

Derka??

31 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Yeah, you should be sorry for asking a reasonable, rationale question in this hive of scum and villainy. That was your first mistake. Surly rule #1: Everyone knows everything. Rule #2: only bang 10s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, MrBig said:

You’re excused 

30 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Yeah, you should be sorry for asking a reasonable, rationale question in this hive of scum and villainy. That was your first mistake. Surly rule #1: Everyone knows everything. Rule #2: only bang 10s. 

I’ve banged some 6’s before. Nice personality and all….i also don’t know shit. I’m the opposite of surly I guess 

9 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

I’ve banged some 6’s before. Nice personality and all….i also don’t know shit. I’m the opposite of surly I guess 

A surly 10 is actually a 6 on Friday night and a 4 on Saturday night. Or reverse the order.  #insidebaseball

18 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

If you bang a 6 at 2am does that make them a solid 8?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A surly 10 is actually a 6 on Friday night and a 4 on Saturday night. Or reverse the order.  #insidebaseball

Not sure what's more complex: surly bangability math or estimating Moro Ojomo's age

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

spacer.png

Longhorn Nation on the facebooks says Rod Wright. Maybe? Idk? Don’t shoot the messenger. Can’t link bc it’s FB. 

5 hours ago, MrBig said:

You don't need to "have" Instagram to look at it Boomer. Are you saying you have Wikipedia?

Akina got promoted to Defensive Coordinator to stay at Arizona per Footballscoop. This is important for 2 reasons.

1) it shows what it took to get him to come back rather than leave with Nansen.
2) it ends any flirtation with Nansen

Spoiler

Sources tell FootballScoop new Arizona head coach Brent Brennan has opted to make Duane Akina the defensive coordinator for his Wildcats. 

Akina guided the defensive backs for Arizona under Jedd Fisch. Prior to Brennan's hire, Akina had accepted a position with Steve Sarkisian at Texas; but was quickly pulled back to Arizona by Brennan. 

One of the most accomplished defensive backs coaches in the game, Akina has coached three Thorpe Award winners, six finalists, 12 All-Americans, 41 NFL defensive backs, and seven Pro Bowlers.

The 67-year-old has spent most of his career at Arizona and Texas. His first U of A stint came from 1987-2000 in a variety of important roles -- as defensive backs coach for the famed "Desert Swarm" defense, as defensive coordinator, as offensive coordinator, and then as defensive coordinator again.

Akina left Arizona for Texas in 2001. In 13 years there, he developed a number of future pros and helped the Longhorns win one national championship and play for another.

Akina then spent 2014-22 coaching defensive backs at Stanford before his return to Tucson.

Edited by BornAndRaised
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Akina got promoted to Defensive Coordinator to stay at Arizona per Footballscoop.

Reveal hidden contents

Sources tell FootballScoop new Arizona head coach Brent Brennan has opted to make Duane Akina the defensive coordinator for his Wildcats. 

Akina guided the defensive backs for Arizona under Jedd Fisch. Prior to Brennan's hire, Akina had accepted a position with Steve Sarkisian at Texas; but was quickly pulled back to Arizona by Brennan. 

One of the most accomplished defensive backs coaches in the game, Akina has coached three Thorpe Award winners, six finalists, 12 All-Americans, 41 NFL defensive backs, and seven Pro Bowlers.

The 67-year-old has spent most of his career at Arizona and Texas. His first U of A stint came from 1987-2000 in a variety of important roles -- as defensive backs coach for the famed "Desert Swarm" defense, as defensive coordinator, as offensive coordinator, and then as defensive coordinator again.

Akina left Arizona for Texas in 2001. In 13 years there, he developed a number of future pros and helped the Longhorns win one national championship and play for another.

Akina then spent 2014-22 coaching defensive backs at Stanford before his return to Tucson.

spacer.png

Akina at DC was a disastrous experiment on the 40 Acres. Glad to see them folks in Tucson willing to make the same error.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2