Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

Bet MB waits to see what they have in that 17 y/o Antonelli before making any decisions

also Piastri is under contract until the end of 2026 i think?

If this graphic is correct, you are right.  But Albon is available, as is Fred.  Looks like Charles and Lando's extensions aren't shown here.

Did Lewis have a driver option for 2025?

spacer.png

Edited by Chewbacca

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If this graphic is correct, you are right.  But Albon is available, as is Fred.  Looks like Charles and Lando's extensions aren't shown here.

Did Lewis have a driver option for 2025?

spacer.png

charles JUST signed his last week maybe?

saw someone on twitter (MB official update?) say that he exercised his out

• Hook 'Em 1

The more I think about the open MB seat, the more i want Fred in it.  Seeing him and Lewis fighting at the front of the grid (fighting for P2 and P3, anyway) would be great.

Unlikely, I know, but I'd love to see it.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

The more I think about the open MB seat, the more i want Fred in it.  Seeing him and Lewis fighting at the front of the grid (fighting for P2 and P3, anyway) would be great.

it would make a ton of sense for both partners. i want them to swap before this season but that won't happen

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of good drivers have made dumb decisions about moving to Ferrari, so Hamilton is in good company.  The only one it worked out for was Schumacher and I don't think Hamilton is capable of the intensity that Schumacher had that let him force Ferrari to overcome their inherent Ferrariness.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A lot of good drivers have made dumb decisions about moving to Ferrari, so Hamilton is in good company.  The only one it worked out for was Schumacher and I don't think Hamilton is capable of the intensity that Schumacher had that let him force Ferrari to overcome their inherent Ferrariness.

... and no Brawn or Todt either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

If the MB isn’t competitive with hammy in it and he’s leaving, why would it be because Alonso is in the seat?

I didn't believe it this morning. I kind of still didn't believe it around noon. Now I believe it but I still don't believe it. I thought Lewis would be buried in a coffin with a silver arrow on it. 

Will be interesting when the other shoe drops. There has to be a metric fuck ton going on behind the scenes that I hope comes to light just to know how this all really transpired. 

It seems hard in our pleb minds to justify why a celebrity multi millionaire with so many titles would leave even if MB is slightly faltering. I can only imagine that there’s a fair bit of pride affecting his decision and he wants to try for one more WDC to best Schumacher before max ends up rewriting everything.

Given the current conditions and trajectories, that was for sure not going to happen for him in a silver arrow.

13 hours ago, kevwun said:

13 hours ago, wood said:

... and no Brawn or Todt either.

Very well said. Ferrari was total shit when Schumacher went there. It took years for that shit team to be forced to not suck.

• Hook 'Em 2

One more thought -- with Sainz getting the axe, are we sure that Leclerc is the better driver?

image.png.9360b25463ce2ed105eb6f91e5edf7c0.png

Don't know how much of that (if any) is due to Leclerc getting preferential strategy or upgrades. In my mind it's still Leclerc as the better driver, but it's pretty close. If Sainz outperformed him this year, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Don't know how much of that (if any) is due to Leclerc getting preferential strategy or upgrades. In my mind it's still Leclerc as the better driver, but it's pretty close. If Sainz outperformed him this year, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Upgrades perhaps, but preferential strategy?  At Ferrari?  What does that even mean?  Maybe, they actually bring out 3 of the 4 tires for a tire change, rather than zero?  

I'm kidding of course but I don't think getting "preferential strategy" at Ferrari would really lead to any competitive advantage for one driver over another. 

• Like 1

Google says LH made $35 million last year.

Holy shit. Ok, maybe Mercedes is smart just to wave goodbye. Do driver salaries not factor into the cost caps? 

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Google says LH made $35 million last year.

Holy shit. Ok, maybe Mercedes is smart just to wave goodbye. Do driver salaries not factor into the cost caps? 

Driver salaries are not part of the cost cap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

One more thought -- with Sainz getting the axe, are we sure that Leclerc is the better driver?

image.png.9360b25463ce2ed105eb6f91e5edf7c0.png

I'll say the same thing I've always said about Leclerc. He's quick, but that's not all it takes to make a good driver. He still makes far too many silly mistakes and his racecraft is nothing spectacular. When you look at the overall driver, as that graphic does pretty well, they're pretty close. 

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Well Ferrari did what they could to make this an easy decision for Lewis.

Ferrari stock jumped 12.6% yesterday, that's something like $9 billion.  They also had higher than expected earnings in Q4, but that's not what's drives a 12.6% jump in one day.

Just... wow.

https://www.investors.com/news/ferrari-bolts-on-earnings-lands-formula-1-legend-lewis-hamilton/#:~:text=Ferrari (RACE),-%24389.45 43.53 12.58&text=Ferrari stock leapt 12.6% Thursday,record high from Dec. 11.

So, sigh, FOM says they invited Andretti to meet with them back in December, and Andretti declined. Turns out, what they actually did was have an FOM staffer send them an email invite, which wasn't recognized and was sent to spam.

An email - for something this important? 

I know these guys are supremely competent at making money, but they're looking quite amateurish here ... unless, that is, they never really wanted that message to be read, and just wanted to be able to say they sent it. You'd think, if they really wanted to meet with Andretti, they'd have followed up when they didn't get a reply, right? 

And they seem to be just stepping on their dicks over and over with their attempts to make it all seem legally defensible. From this kind of thing to trying to hook Cadillac up with Williams, nothing they've done has been in good faith, and they're putting it on display for the world to see.

follow-up-statement-from-andretti-claims

Seeing rumors that Albon has been offered Checo's seat for 2025.  I'm not sure he wants it, though.  I've seen some interviews with him and he did not enjoy being Max's teammate, not even a little bit.  Could see him wanting the open MB seat instead.

37 minutes ago, wood said:

So, sigh, FOM says they invited Andretti to meet with them back in December, and Andretti declined. Turns out, what they actually did was have an FOM staffer send them an email invite, which wasn't recognized and was sent to spam.

An email - for something this important? 

I know these guys are supremely competent at making money, but they're looking quite amateurish here ... unless, that is, they never really wanted that message to be read, and just wanted to be able to say they sent it. You'd think, if they really wanted to meet with Andretti, they'd have followed up when they didn't get a reply, right? 

And they seem to be just stepping on their dicks over and over with their attempts to make it all seem legally defensible. From this kind of thing to trying to hook Cadillac up with Williams, nothing they've done has been in good faith, and they're putting it on display for the world to see.

follow-up-statement-from-andretti-claims

I bet they created a one time gmail account and the subject of the message was MEET HOT UKRAINIAN GIRLZ ................Also Re: potential ownership of F1 team.

Edited by kevwun
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Ferrari stock jumped 12.6% yesterday, that's something like $9 billion.  They also had higher than expected earnings in Q4, but that's not what's drives a 12.6% jump in one day.

Just... wow.

https://www.investors.com/news/ferrari-bolts-on-earnings-lands-formula-1-legend-lewis-hamilton/#:~:text=Ferrari (RACE),-%24389.45 43.53 12.58&text=Ferrari stock leapt 12.6% Thursday,record high from Dec. 11.

I read that Ferrari's stock (RACE) was already up 10% in high-volume trading in reaction to the earnings report when the news hit, but the news probably had some effect on the remaining increase in value, adding to the momentum. Good timing for Ferrari. RACE has corrected today with profit-taking and is down 3%. So Hammer Time is over for now...

In other news:

Edited by wood

7 hours ago, wood said:

I read that Ferrari's stock (RACE) was already up 10% in high-volume trading in reaction to the earnings report when the news hit, but the news probably had some effect on the remaining increase in value, adding to the momentum. Good timing for Ferrari. RACE has corrected today with profit-taking and is down 3%. So Hammer Time is over for now...

In other news:

Since rumors broke early, and from credible sources, and were ultimately true-- I don't think it's unreasonable to believe they had more to do with the increase.  I'm not sure it's normal for a luxury brand to increase by 12.6% in one day, or even 10% in one day, based solely on an earnings release from a prior quarter... 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, wood said:

In other news:

I’ve always liked Albon and I wish him success 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Since rumors broke early, and from credible sources, and were ultimately true-- I don't think it's unreasonable to believe they had more to do with the increase.  I'm not sure it's normal for a luxury brand to increase by 12.6% in one day, or even 10% in one day, based solely on an earnings release from a prior quarter... 

Could be. I dunno much about it myself. I was just summarizing what guys who do know about it were saying. They were already watching Ferrari stock since the release of the better-than-expected earnings report and said reports can push stock values up or down by as much as 30% in one day, & +10-15% is great but not really uncommon due to volatility caused by high-volume trading when the reports come out. I think even if Lewis had a significant impact on the remaining 3% increase, that's impressive. They said it closed today +8.4% compared to the last close before the earnings report.

Edited by wood