Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

I bet Andretti - Cadillac would have shown up in Melbourne with a spare chassis or two.

Maybe it's actually the reverse of what FOM suggests. Perhaps it's F1 that's not healthy enough to be worth a serious 11th team's time, money, and effort

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

At this rate I’m not sure Danny makes it to the triple header of Spain, Austrian, and British GP’s. Sad to see because Danny is one of the main reasons I got into F1 but at this point he’s waisting a seat for younger talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 9:12 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

I like Zhou. I believe he has talent and he seems pretty calm. Bottas can race obviously. The rest? Bring on some new blood. 

The singular reason he is in f1 is his nationality and the funding he brings to the table.

Well damn, am I going to have to sign up for F1 TV? Caught the highlights, and seemed like an awesome race.

- Why did Alonso do that? Say GR didn't crash, what was he hoping would happen by slowing down? Reading that report, it seems like it was much more than just trying a different line.

- Max out of the race and Perez wins! Oops, wait. Takes fifth. I guess the car wasn't as dominant given that Max got passed, but surely he could have been better than a minute off the lead?

- I'm a Sainz fan. Love to see him win. I mentioned when the Hamilton news broke, I wasn't sure they picked the right guy to release. I think Drummond has it right -- they are equal. This may be a classic Ferrari strategy blunder. Who knows if LH will adapt to the car/team. 

- A good showing by HAAS? Double points? 

Viva La Ferrari!

Great race from Sainz, would have liked to see how it turned out without the Max retirement but Max and RBR have had an unbelievable run of good luck while all the other manufacturers didn't, so what goes around comes around.

Not sure about the penalty on Fred, I don't think he did something intentionally dangerous, and I do think he knew if he kept doing the same thing then Russell was going to have an excellent chance to pass.

• Like 2

Alonso was hoping to make Russell lock up on the last lap so that he couldn't pass him.  He let off 100m earlier than normal going in to that turn.  Given that there was no room to run off or go 2 wide, it was a really dangerous spot to do it.  That penalty is among the steepest I can remember being given out recently and I think it was warranted.

It took Sainz a good minute to get himself out of the car after the race.  It's clear he's still pretty sore and makes his race that much more impressive.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

They didn’t let the wrong driver go, They shouldn't have let either driver go. 

I think Leclerc is generally better at qualifying, but during races Sainz has the edge on pace and isn't as prone to the brain farts that Leclerc has.  Wherever he ends up, I hope he manages to find a spot on one of the top teams.  He's good enough that he needs to be in a competitive car.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I am pretty certain that Steiner is not a good choice for post race interviews.

Kept waiting for him to drop a “fooking.” I waz disappoint. 

Sainz and LeClerc both have the same number of wins since Carlos joined Ferrari. Both their respective national anthems pair nicely with the Italian one. A nice break from Dutch and Austrian. 

Edited by Dutch

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Alonso was hoping to make Russell lock up on the last lap so that he couldn't pass him.  He let off 100m earlier than normal going in to that turn.  Given that there was no room to run off or go 2 wide, it was a really dangerous spot to do it.  That penalty is among the steepest I can remember being given out recently and I think it was warranted.

It took Sainz a good minute to get himself out of the car after the race.  It's clear he's still pretty sore and makes his race that much more impressive.

I think Alonso said his throttle was messing up and he was having to use a ton of effort to not slow down. I don’t know if he mentioned it before the crash but he did right after 

• Hook 'Em 1

He had to come up with some kind of excuse.  I'm sure his story will evolve.  Brundle nailed it when he said that he brake checked Russell. 

He was saying it on the radio before the crash ever happened. Also, there is video out of his car misfiring on the last lap. That said, he should have moved off the racing line if he was having car issues.

31 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

He was saying it on the radio before the crash ever happened. Also, there is video out of his car misfiring on the last lap. That said, he should have moved off the racing line if he was having car issues.

Didn't all this go down on the last lap? I'm not going to move over on the last lap to let someone through. I'm parking the thing in the middle of the road and weaving side to side until the checkered flag.

He had to come up with some kind of excuse.  I'm sure his story will evolve.  Brundle nailed it when he said that he brake checked Russell. 

Yeah, he didn’t mention it to the stewards or in his post race IG post, so he knew what he did. He obviously didn’t intend for Russell to crash, but he does like to push the rules to their limits and sometimes things happen when you operate in that area.

Also note that the penalties are harsher now than they would have been even just last year.

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

Viva La Ferrari!

Great race from Sainz, would have liked to see how it turned out without the Max retirement but Max and RBR have had an unbelievable run of good luck while all the other manufacturers didn't, so what goes around comes around.

Not sure about the penalty on Fred, I don't think he did something intentionally dangerous, and I do think he knew if he kept doing the same thing then Russell was going to have an excellent chance to pass.

Yeah I don't think he was trying to wreck Russell or do anything nefarious. He said he was trying to go a little slower in to get a better exit and speed on the following stretch. He said it's a normal defensive move he's done and had done to him numerous times over more than 20 years in F1. Even the stewards didn't seem to think it was really intentional but seemed to think they just had to give some kind of penalty, so gave him a drivethrough that converted to 20s. I don't agree with it, but it's not terrible. Oh well.

9 hours ago, kevwun said:

Alonso was hoping to make Russell lock up on the last lap so that he couldn't pass him. 

I don't think there's anything that indicates he was trying to induce a lockup. Fernando made great points after the race that ... 

"At no point do we want to do anything wrong at these speeds. I believe that without gravel on that corner, on any other corner in the world we will never be even investigated. Fernando also stated how he believed the incident was merely down to a regular part-and-parcel nature of high-speed racing.“In F1, with over 20 years of experience, with epic duels like Imola 2005/2006/ Brazil 2023, changing racing lines, sacrificing entry speed to have good exits from corners is part of the art of motorsport.

"We never drive at 100% every race lap and every corner, we save fuel, tires, brakes, so being responsible for not making every lap the same is a bit surprising.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, kevwun said:

Nailed it? The stewards said the telemetry didn't show a brake check. So I guess not. I also didn't hear Brundle say Alonso 'brake-checked' George, at least not during the race, but maybe I missed it. He did say Alonso slowed more than George was probably expecting. There's no rule against that and no rule, as Alonso points out, that you have to take every corner the same way all race long. 

Alonso made a strategic move that caught the following car off guard.  Changing a setup into a corner is textbook race craft.  In terms of driving at that speed Russell was well behind Alonso. George didn't anticipate the move and was caught out by the increased dirty air. Just because 1 driver didn't predict the movement of another driver doesn't make it erratic.  George  had more than enough time to avoid a crash, but we've seen mistakes just as silly from George before. His onboard ...

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

He said brake tested or some-such that is the Brit equivalent is for a brake check.

Guess he was wrong then. The stewards said Alonso lifted more than he had previously and touched his brake so briefly and slightly that it wasn't a significant factor in slowing the car. 

The problem is that he slowed, then accelerated, and then slowed again (because he messed up and did it too early). If he had only slowed once, even if way early (which would just have been a lift and coast), they wouldn’t have given him anything.

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The problem is that he slowed, then accelerated, and then slowed again (because he messed up and did it too early). If he had only slowed once, even if way early (which would just have been a lift and coast), they wouldn’t have given him anything.

Yeah I think you're probably right. Alonso said he didn't get it quite the way he wanted it, too.  I'm still blown away watching the onboard from George's car. In terms of what we see all the time in F1, he just had plenty of time to react to that, but George has shown us before that he doesn't exactly have catlike reflexes.

• Hook 'Em 1

To me, Sainz is the 2nd best driver in F1.  Having him to go Red Bull next year would be a huge get.  He and Max have already driven together and are friends. Perhaps that move would help to keep Max at RB.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1