Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

49 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

How does that defense hold Texas to 17?   I think CTJ pointed out we have played 7 higher ranked defenses than UW, and averaged 40+ on that set.  Late season Texas puts up 50+.  

He’s big dick nick he doesn’t have to worry about such things.

1 hour ago, Crapinon said:

Legitimate question if there are any UW people still around. All we hear about (beside Penix) is your offensive line. Every Husky fan says we don't know what's coming our way. But when I looked at the All Pac-12 team, the only lineman that was listed was your center on the 2nd team. No one on 1st, 3rd or even honorable mention. And you can't claim Oregon bias because there were more form Oregon State than Oregon. If they're all NFL bound like some of you brethren claim, why weren't they recognized as such?

Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, BigDickNick said:

Hi Horn Fans, looking forward to meeting all of you at the Sugar Bowl!  If you're going to the game, come stop by our tailgate in the #5 lot - just look for the blue "Ribs and Rickshaws" (long story, don't ask) canopy tent. Anyways, I can't wait to chow down on fried okra and chug some Red Stripe beer with all of you. Hooooray beer!

This will be my first time visiting Shreveport (but not my first time in the swamp if you catch my drift), and while I know it's several states away from Texas, I understand you guys are basically the home team. Personally I think that's really unfair since we're the higher seed, and the LA Bowl should have been slotted into the playoffs instead of the Sugar Bowl. But whatever, this won't be our first time overcoming east coast bias. I say BRING IT ON!

Anyway, I think UW has a really good chance to go all the way this year. Here are 5 reasons why I like my DAWGS to win.

1. Michael Big Penix Energy Jr. He is the best player on the field, enough said on that. Heisman winner, Maxwell Trophy winner, Bilentikoff runner-up. He has 4 years of high school and 6 years of college under his belt and will do whatever he can to win the game.

2. Offensive Line. We average a weight of 332 across the line, and they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. Roger Rosegarden, Jackson Powers-Johnson, Center, Ossai, Big "Orange Julius" Buelow. These boys have an attitude and are ready to rumble!!!

3. Chuck "Steak" Morell. A new defensive scheme and a new attitude. Everyone is raving about the difference between our game plan since firing Inge and slotting Chuck into his role at DC. Don't be fooled by the stats, this defense has taken a HUGE step forward under new leadership and the stats speak for themselves.

4. Speed, speed, speed. This is the fastest team Washington has had this century, probably since the Legion of Zoom team from 2014! Rome Odunze, Germs Bernie, Ja'Lynn McClatcher, Ja'Lynn Polk, Ja'Lynn "catches more than he drops" Mickens, Nate Fellner. This is a deeply veteran lineup, but it's the new guys who have really changed the complexion of this team. We haven't seen this much speed since the Legion of Zoom team from 2014.

5. Time of possession. I think we can win the time of possession battle in this one. the more we can control the ball and keep our defense off the field, the greater chance we’ll have to win.

I think UW wins this one rather easily, say...34-17?

Do they teach any school shit up there at UW?...you know, like geography perhaps?   Several states away from Texas???Penix is the best player on the field???....He isn't the best QB on the field...Speed??? Y'all are gonna discover what speed is.

Fact is, y'all are discover many things like...what a weak ass schedule you played this year. ....How your best opponent will not be Oregon.....and how your hero Pennix performs under the pressure of having to produce a TDevery drives he starts....just to keep up because we will score almost at will....oh....and fuck your Ribs and Rickshaws...

1 hour ago, BigDickNick said:2. Offensive Line. We average a weight of 332 across the line, and they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. Roger Rosegarden, Jackson Powers-Johnson, Center, Ossai, Big "Orange Julius" Buelow. These boys have an attitude and are ready to rumble!!!

This is bad info. No one on the roster named Ossai. 2 Polynesians you forgot to mention. Average weight is more like 306. When you screw up this badly, everything you say deserves to be ignored. 

1 hour ago, Crapinon said:

Legitimate question if there are any UW people still around. All we hear about (beside Penix) is your offensive line. Every Husky fan says we don't know what's coming our way. But when I looked at the All Pac-12 team, the only lineman that was listed was your center on the 2nd team. No one on 1st, 3rd or even honorable mention. And you can't claim Oregon bias because there were more form Oregon State than Oregon. If they're all NFL bound like some of you brethren claim, why weren't they recognized as such?

Yea. It’s interesting that they think their interior line is going to shit on our “Fat NT” that won the national award for interior line play even though none of their players were even finalists.

I skimmed four UW games against what I think are the best comps to 2023-4 Texas defense

(alamo bowl, p12CG, Utah, Arizona).

Pretty interesting, because there were, imo, 2 different approaches to dealing with the UW offense. 

• Texas and Arizona rushed almost exclusively 3 or 4 when Penix dropped back to pass.   
  • Oregon and Utah consistently brought an extra rusher to try to pressure Penix. 

Meaningless stats:

vs AZ and Texas

• UW scored 27 and 31. 
  • Penix' QBR was 72 (UT) and 88 (AZ). 
  • Primary RB ran for 7.7ypc (UT) and 5.7 ypc (AZ).   

vs Oregon and Utah

• UW scored 34 and 35
  • Penix QBR was 88 and 87
  • Primary RB ran for 5.4 and 4.5

See for yourself.  (I basically just skipped to the plays where UW had the ball)

Texas didn't bring a lot of extra heat.  They brought pressure at 20:00 and 45:42. 

I'm gonna say we don't want to see lots of those 1 on 1s on 1/1. *knock on wood*

UTAH

Utah showed us what happens when you blitz and don't get home.  Check 26:45, 1:32:29 (3rd and 8), 1:44:49.  You can play their WR really well and still get burned. 

Even if you manufacture a good blitz, Penix is great at getting rid of the ball and taking the loss of down.  26:00 

The thing is, you need a good DL to get pressure on Penix with 4.  If you can't trouble them with 4, they will still pick you apart underneath (13:28) and punish you if your WR get caught 1 v 1 (49:20).

Utah did show that you can affect Penix with 4 if you can get a reasonable rush and cover well. (1:31:53), esp if you disguise your looks (30:57, 56:45, 57:59)

OREGON

Oregon showed us the risk of bringing a safety (49:17) or a LB (10:48)

ARIZONA

Arizona showed what happens if you play off and don't have great LB athleticism/play

16:16, 1:23:27, 27:00

and if you drop 8 and put no pressure on Penix 1:07:35, 1:39:15

Here's how I see it.  Curious to read what others think

1. This year, Washington has pretty much just passed the ball no matter what
    • Washington is 124th this season in rushing play percentage
    • Arizona left the box undermanned for huge stretches of the game and UW still ran 2:1 pass plays. 
    • Despite running for 5.6 ypc against Texas, UW threw the ball 2:1
    • UW actually ran the ball more against Oregon and Utah;  their RB is pretty good at cutting back against pressure
  2. When teams brought 4 and dropped into deep coverage, UW was generally content to pick the teams apart underneath
    • UW managed very few 20+ yard passing plays against Arizona and Texas
    • If you drop your safeties deep, UW will put a lot of pressure on your LB, but I think 2023/4 Texas is much better positioned to handle this pressure than Arizona or 2022/3 Texas
    • If you can get pressure with 4, you can definitely still affect Penix.  If you can't get pressure with 4, you generally live to fight another set of downs, because they are content to take what the defense gives them.  I think Texas front 4 might be able to generate as much pressure as 5 from a lesser DL. *knock on wood*
  3. Oregon and Arizona exposed the problems with bringing heat to try to affect Penix. 
  • If you blitz and don't get there, eventually you will get caught exposing their absolute strength - 1 on 1 against their WRs with no help.  Get ready to hear their stupid fight song and watch Penix cosplay as the chick from hunger games. 
  • If you blitz and do get there, Penix is good at throwing the ball away (UW is #3 in the country in avoiding sacks)
  • If you get UW into 3rd and long, you aren't safe anyway. 
  • I think the risk/reward of blitzing Penix isn't that favorable. 

Success against this UW offense, imo, would be holding them below 29.  For this Texas team, I think I would give UW the underneath plays and make them drive the ball down the field like they did against Arizona, but against (1) a DL that can get better pressure with four and (2) a much more athletic LB.  

I would try to protect my DBs, rather than lean on them while I was trying to create negative plays because 1) penix has been great avoiding negative plays 2) penix can still easily make 3rd and long throws and 3) I would rather try to make them beat me with the less potent aspect of their offense.  I don't want the game to turn on them being able to play to their absolute strength vs probably the least effective part of Texas' team. Even if I were Alabama and had 27 all american DBs, I am not sure I would want the game to turn on my DBs being able to hold down UW's WR 1-on-1.  IMO, the best way to parlay Texas' strength at DT is to "get away with" rushing 4, so you can throw numbers to mitigate UW's most potent threat. 

I think that was pretty much the Texas gameplan last year, and I think this year's defense can execute it better - even granting that UW's offense is better than it was last year.  Curious to read other takes.  hook em.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, BigDickNick said:

Hi Horn Fans, looking forward to meeting all of you at the Sugar Bowl!  If you're going to the game, come stop by our tailgate in the #5 lot - just look for the blue "Ribs and Rickshaws" (long story, don't ask) canopy tent. Anyways, I can't wait to chow down on fried okra and chug some Red Stripe beer with all of you. Hooooray beer!

This will be my first time visiting Shreveport (but not my first time in the swamp if you catch my drift), and while I know it's several states away from Texas, I understand you guys are basically the home team. Personally I think that's really unfair since we're the higher seed, and the LA Bowl should have been slotted into the playoffs instead of the Sugar Bowl. But whatever, this won't be our first time overcoming east coast bias. I say BRING IT ON!

Anyway, I think UW has a really good chance to go all the way this year. Here are 5 reasons why I like my DAWGS to win.

1. Michael Big Penix Energy Jr. He is the best player on the field, enough said on that. Heisman winner, Maxwell Trophy winner, Bilentikoff runner-up. He has 4 years of high school and 6 years of college under his belt and will do whatever he can to win the game.

2. Offensive Line. We average a weight of 332 across the line, and they are ready to dominate the line of scrimmage. Roger Rosegarden, Jackson Powers-Johnson, Center, Ossai, Big "Orange Julius" Buelow. These boys have an attitude and are ready to rumble!!!

3. Chuck "Steak" Morell. A new defensive scheme and a new attitude. Everyone is raving about the difference between our game plan since firing Inge and slotting Chuck into his role at DC. Don't be fooled by the stats, this defense has taken a HUGE step forward under new leadership and the stats speak for themselves.

4. Speed, speed, speed. This is the fastest team Washington has had this century, probably since the Legion of Zoom team from 2014! Rome Odunze, Germs Bernie, Ja'Lynn McClatcher, Ja'Lynn Polk, Ja'Lynn "catches more than he drops" Mickens, Nate Fellner. This is a deeply veteran lineup, but it's the new guys who have really changed the complexion of this team. We haven't seen this much speed since the Legion of Zoom team from 2014.

5. Time of possession. I think we can win the time of possession battle in this one. the more we can control the ball and keep our defense off the field, the greater chance we’ll have to win.

Stop stealing my shit, fucko. 

Edited by MikeDamone
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

Do they teach any school shit up there at UW?...you know, like geography perhaps?   Several states away from Texas???Penix is the best player on the field???....He isn't the best QB on the field...Speed??? Y'all are gonna discover what speed is.

Fact is, y'all are discover many things like...what a weak ass schedule you played this year. ....How your best opponent will not be Oregon.....and how your hero Pennix performs under the pressure of having to produce a TDevery drives he starts....just to keep up because we will score almost at will....oh....and fuck your Ribs and Rickshaws...

You sound like Oregon fans before the Pac-12 championship game.    

• Fuck You 7

15 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Press Man is the answer. Teams with lesser talent have had success throwing off the timing of Penix. Let Watts & Brooks get hands on these boys. 

Press man with inside leverage disrupting the free release slant, with cover 2 safeties over.  4 man rush with edges focused on setting the edge (they like to run outside), DLs run stopping between the tackles and giving interior push, and LBs in zone. Switch to nickel on 3rd and medium+ or when they go 4+ WR.  Accept Penix throwing for 300+ if it's mostly between the 20's and make him consistently execute underneath and give the Dline more opportunities for interior pressure.  It's a risk and Penix definitely can execute against it but I see it like stretching out the risk...the more times he passes like DKR says 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.  More passes, more opportunities for bad stuff for UW and good stuff for Texas.

The key to doing all of that is run stopping with an honest box and not having to walk down a safety, but I think we can.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea. It’s interesting that they think their interior line is going to shit on our “Fat NT” that won the national award for interior line play even though none of their players were even finalists.

Of course they’re too stupid to realize that Sweat is a 3-technique DT or what that means. 

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Press man with inside leverage disrupting the free release slant, with cover 2 safeties over.  4 man rush with edges focused on setting the edge (they like to run outside), DLs run stopping between the tackles and giving interior push, and LBs in zone. Switch to nickel on 3rd and medium+ or when they go 4+ WR.  Accept Penix throwing for 300+ if it's mostly between the 20's and make him consistently execute underneath and give the Dline more opportunities for interior pressure.  It's a risk and Penix definitely can execute against it but I see it like stretching out the risk...the more times he passes like DKR says 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.  More passes, more opportunities for bad stuff for UW and good stuff for Texas.

The key to doing all of that is run stopping with an honest box and not having to walk down a safety, but I think we can.

This is how I see it, and I think we’ve got to get them in third and longs / predictable play calling with pressure on Penix to make one more play. He makes one? make him make another and another. Don’t let his defense or running game help him, put it ALL on his shoulders. 

This is going to be simple.  Texas beats previously undefeated Washington in the first round and previously undefeated Michigan in the second round is the first team in playoff history to beat all 3 of the other teams in the playoffs, crowned NC and the only undefeated team left in the country is FSU of they can win their game.

Edited by TexasEd

48 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

This is going to be simple.  Texas beats previously undefeated Washington in the first round and previously undefeated Michigan in the second round is the first team in playoff history to beat all 3 of the other teams in the playoffs, crowned NC and the only undefeated team left in the country is FSU of they can win their game.

A friend texted me, if we win out again Michigan, basically we will be Big XII champs, Pac 10 Champs, SEC Champs and B1G champs having beaten all those conference champs. 

Said we should schedule a game against FSU after.

I added, we can just play them with our second team.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Press Man is the answer. Teams with lesser talent have had success throwing off the timing of Penix. Let Watts & Brooks get hands on these boys. 

IIRC Washington receivers are the best in the country against press coverage. They are elite. 

There's no easy answer against their passing game outside of serious pressure on Penix. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh my sweet summer child, you have no idea what's coming and it's probably best for your mental health it stays that way.

Oh, and I can safely say nobody from here will be dropping by your Shreveport tailgate. Nothing personal, it's just a few hundred miles away from where the game takes place. Toodles!

https://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/111394/surly-horns

throat shitter is trying to say he wanted to talk football. Hahaha.

and those pussy ass sons of bitches need to show their fucking faces. Call us faggots to our face ass munches. What are you 12? Jesus Christ. What a fucking wasteland. You’d think someone over there would be like hey, it’s 2023, we don’t talk like that anymore. Nope. And they are proud of it. Easily one of the worst message board communities I’ve seen and they are devoid of any analysis accusing us of having no respect and expecting Texas wipes the floor with them. What a waste of bandwidth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

IIRC Washington receivers are the best in the country against press coverage. They are elite. 

There's no easy answer against their passing game outside of serious pressure on Penix. 

What info are you citing for this? I think mixing coverages with a heavy dose of bump and run would go a long way against them.

Drop linebackers into slant windows and align the corners to make sideline throws harder.

They are elite at back shoulder throws, but I doubt they'll live with those throughout the game.

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

What info are you citing for this? I think mixing coverages with a heavy dose of bump and run would go a long way against them.

Drop linebackers into slant windows and align the corners to make sideline throws harder.

They are elite at back shoulder throws, but I doubt they'll live with those throughout the game.

Came up in media when the match up was set.  Sorry no reference.

I agree with your defensive take. To me this will be the most interesting part of the game. PK, what do you have?

But there is no question their WR group is elite. Expect a challenge.

Edited by Mach 1

6 hours ago, BigDickNick said:

Red Stripe Beer?    This isn’t Jamaica man.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigDickNick said:

Sorry, man, I didn’t get past the “several states away” comment. Good luck finding your way to your tailgate. 

• Haha 1

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic