Operation Prosperity Guardian: The Red Sea Cruise 2023-? But wait there's more! Iran + proxies, FAFO

atomheartbevo

43 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Does anyone know if we've ever put Apache's on Navy ships?  I'd think they would make a great tool to patrol the seas around the ships and remove any smaller surface craft better than a fast mover...

Marines fly AH-1Z Vipers off of Wasp class amphibious assault ships and the Navy flies Sea Hawks.  The Viper does most of what the Apache can do (not all) but is better for the maritime mission. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

Does anyone know if we've ever put Apache's on Navy ships?  I'd think they would make a great tool to patrol the seas around the ships and remove any smaller surface craft better than a fast mover...

I believe the LHA's and LHD's will carry attack choppers and marine jets

Edited by Captainant
I a word
  • Hook 'Em 4

52 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Bro do you even A10 Warthog?

Edited by Parliament

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Bro do you even A10 Warthog?

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

yeah it would, and they can operate out of Djibouti.

So move some there and let them do some patrolling.

IMO an A-10 is out of its element in a modern conflict. See: SU-25s in Ukraine getting swatted by all sorts of MANPADs

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

this should have bene done day 1 

Maybe, but they gave them plenty of warnings, got a small coalition together, and got a UN resolution condemning the Houthi attacks, and waited until they directly went after American/UK ships (and publicly announced they were) so that by the time they bombed the Houthis, every rational person/country knew what was coming and that it was deserved.

The US was also acting within the framework of the War Powers Resolution.  If we go after them on Day 1, before they directly targeted American military personnel/ships earlier this week, then domestic legal issues arise.

• Hook 'Em 3

The U.S. Navy launched a 2nd Round of Strikes on the Houthi Terrorist Group in Yemen last night roughly an hour after the 1st Round had Ended, with this Wave consisting of several more Tomahawk Land-Attack Cruise Missiles and Precision-Guided Munitions launched by F/A-18 “Super Hornets” from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) at Anti-Ship Cruise and Ballistic Missile Sites which could be used against U.S. Vessels in the Red Sea as Retaliation.

-----

That was some quick assessment and intel gathering - I don't know if they were looking for activity happening for retaliation after the first strike, but it wouldn't be surprising.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Maybe, but they gave them plenty of warnings, got a small coalition together, and got a UN resolution condemning the Houthi attacks, and waited until they directly went after American/UK ships (and publicly announced they were) so that by the time they bombed the Houthis, every rational person/country knew what was coming and that it was deserved.

The US was also acting within the framework of the War Powers Resolution.  If we go after them on Day 1, before they directly targeted American military personnel/ships earlier this week, then domestic legal issues arise.

Still wouldn't have minded if they'd gone to Congress with it. Not like they didn't have time. Maybe Congress was too busy with the budget?

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

UK Jets came out of cyprus. Means they had to coordinate with Egypt.

How are Egypt and Cypus connected? I don't know much other than it's split between Greece and Turkey after the Turks invaded or whatever 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Still wouldn't have minded if they'd gone to Congress with it. Not like they didn't have time. Maybe Congress was too busy with the budget?

How are Egypt and Cypus connected? I don't know much other than it's split between Greece and Turkey after the Turks invaded or whatever 

Overflight. That is a few military aircraft coming into your airspace. Better to tell them first. I am surprised they did not move assets to Djibouti and go from there.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Parliament said:

If you don't follow that guy on YouTube, you should.  He's our generation's Paul Harvey.

between the douchetats and the lisp, he's unwatchable.

11 hours ago, horn4life said:

Interestingly this is the first true battle testing of US forces in the face of new drone based warfare.  The good news is we can crush them if we want to.  The bad news is the risk/reward from a financial perspective works against us.  High tech is awesome, and allows precision.  But drones are the new guerrilla warfare.  Cheap, effective, and expensive to combat successfully.

Lots of balls in the air in the region, but also likely a pretty painful pin prick from the coalition.  Main thing is Biden is smart enough to get a coalition for this action, as an attack solely by the US would be much weaker(IMO), even if of equal damage infliction.  It will be interesting to see if the Houtis simply take the pounding in stride and keep the attacks coming.  Or does this pin prick make them change behavior?  

Mainly it's about financial stability and trade for the US and the partners.  But Iran and the Houtis don't give a shit about trade and know quite frankly that our desire to protect trade is our "weakness." Because the risk reward from a cost perspective tilts in their favor, should they keep disrupting shipping.  So then does the coalition really start pounding? Selectively pound? No cost effective solution.  So do we have to be willing to really, really inflict some damage if there is no change in behavior after this initial strike?  Or just repetitive similar level or response?  

It will be interesting to see what happens.  

**I will also say what I have always said about the region.  Everything you need to know can be summed up by watching three hours of "Lawrence of Arabia."  Same tribal problems for centuries.  Not much has honestly changed since this movie about WW I was made in the '60's.

We are the Joneses, mofos. 

7 hours ago, Grimas said:

I know an Apache pilot, but he's "out of town".  I'll ask him about that next time we communicate, which is usually at least weekly.  He did watch the 2nd half of the Sugar Bowl, but he had to walk a mile to a rec center to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody splain to me what is a Houthi.

Yemeni person not with the government?

yemeni soldier?

Are all Yemeni’s Houthi’s?

are they like the Kurds?  There but sorta anti establishment?

Long established or new visitors to that area?

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

yemeni soldier?

Start here. A bit complicated but this will help.

The Houthis are a large clan originating from Yemen’s northwestern Saada province. They practice the Zaydi form of Shiism. Zaydis make up around 35 percent of Yemen’s population.

A Zaydi imamate ruled Yemen for 1,000 years, before being overthrown in 1962. Since then, the Zaydis – stripped of their political power – have struggled to restore their authority and influence in Yemen. In the 1980s, the Houthi clan began a movement to revive Zaydi traditions, feeling threatened by state-funded Salafist preachers who established a base in Houthi areas. Not all Zaydis, however, align with the Houthi movement.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/who-are-yemens-houthis

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, rpspeed said:

We told em man. Now it’s just a training exercise and flex. Fuck it, feels a lot better than having our ships sitting there getting shot at. In hindsight, the absolute confidence our navy had to just sit there and shoot shit down is absurd.

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 2

Can we get on flight radar and figure out what we have loitering in the neighborhood?

Oh, and highly irrelevant but cool nonetheless.  The CO of the George Bush is a W.B. Ray high school grad from Corpus Christi.  I’m sure he wanted to go to Texas but Navy offered him a ride.

34 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The Houthis are a large clan originating from Yemen’s northwestern Saada province. They practice the Zaydi form of Shiism. Zaydis make up around 35 percent of Yemen’s population.

A Zaydi imamate ruled Yemen for 1,000 years, before being overthrown in 1962. Since then, the Zaydis – stripped of their political power – have struggled to restore their authority and influence in Yemen. In the 1980s, the Houthi clan began a movement to revive Zaydi traditions, feeling threatened by state-funded Salafist preachers who established a base in Houthi areas. Not all Zaydis, however, align with the Houthi movement.

It all makes sense now

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

47 minutes ago, CoTex said:

yemeni soldier?

They literally started out following some asshole named "Houthi". 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The 64, particularly the "Echo" variant, is an amazing machine. 

I sat in one at my son's graduation from flight school.  It's a fairly cramped cockpit.  I recognized "windshield wiper" and "parking brake" on the controls, no bullshit.  Everything else looked a bit tricky. 

• Hook 'Em 3

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-01-13-24/index.html
Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, the head of the Houthis Supreme Revolutionary Committee, urged the Americans and the British to "go back to your country" and focus on addressing racism rather than

protecting Israeli ships. Al-Houthi criticized the US and UK for their "aggression" in launching the Thursday airstrikes during a speech addressed to a large protest in Yemen's capital Sanaa against the strikes. 

He also advised the countries to heed a recent warning from Houthi movement leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi when he said that any attack on Yemen would be met with a robust response.

Rejecting the American claim that the strikes were launched on Yemen in "self-defense," Al-Houthi argued, "we did not attack American shores, we did not reach the shores of Florida, we did not attack the American islands." "You are the Nazis, and your strikes on our country are acts of terrorism," Al-Houthi said. 

He accused the US and the UK of being deviants and supporters of deviation, asserting that they are not allies of humanity. Al-Houthi further criticized Americans for threatening navigation security and actively working to raise maritime insurance prices. He labeled America as an enemy of the people, describing it as a source of terrorism.

nathan fillion castle GIF

Sure, they didn't attack Florida, but they attacked American warships in international waters...

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-01-13-24/index.html
Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, the head of the Houthis Supreme Revolutionary Committee, urged the Americans and the British to "go back to your country" and focus on addressing racism rather than

Sure, they didn't attack Florida, but they attacked American warships in international waters...

I'd be cool with them attacking Florida.  But don't fuck with the warships.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They didn't attack Florida,  but they were on the receiving end of some Tomahawks from the USS Florida.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, CoTex said:

yemeni soldier?

@InkaUtexas summed it up. Think of them as like Waterworld Taliban with the backing of Iran because they are Shia not Sunni. They have functional control over lots of Yemen but are not the recognized government.  

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

between the douchetats and the lisp, he's unwatchable.

We are the Joneses, mofos. 

I know an Apache pilot, but he's "out of town".  I'll ask him about that next time we communicate, which is usually at least weekly.  He did watch the 2nd half of the Sugar Bowl, but he had to walk a mile to a rec center to do that. 

Did some more digging on this out of curiosity and it turns out that a few years back we practiced flying Apaches off of a Mobile Expeditionary Base specifically to send a message to Iran; and that the Brits and Aussies are deeper into testing the Apache for their carriers and amphibious assault ships. 

But the typical U.S. answer is the AH-1Z that the Marines fly that was procured for maritime operations and transportation.  They take up much less space. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Did some more digging on this out of curiosity and it turns out that a few years back we practiced flying Apaches off of a Mobile Expeditionary Base specifically to send a message to Iran; and that the Brits and Aussies are deeper into testing the Apache for their carriers and amphibious assault ships. 

But the typical U.S. answer is the AH-1Z that the Marines fly that was procured for maritime operations and transportation.  They take up much less space. 

Yeah and any helicopter can land on any flat top.  It's just a matter of practice.  The Seahawk variants with their ASW config might be able to carry a bigger payload than the Apache.  It probably has been tested by us before but I bet Army and their Apaches were told to stay in their lane.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Let me simplify. A cult thinks whatever they believe is true, and will kill anyone that disagrees with them. 

One thing that is in play now that was not in play in the past is the use of AI, in targeting and battle planning.  This I would think would be especially helpful against players like the Houtis.  I would assume that identifying movements, and congregations of key players might be much easier using AI?  You have to assume the Houtis are in a game of cat and mouse.  And the advantage of the mouse is the ability to hide.  I would think that AI might be a great assistance here?

• blacklab changed the title to Operation Prosperity Guardian: The Red Sea Cruise 2023-? But wait there's more! Iran + proxies, FAFO