2023 Orange Bowl - Florida State vs. Georgia

satyanash

Cash prize for the winning team’s players is all I can come up with and even then players with NFL prospects may opt out.  Or how about contractual obligations to play in bowl games in exchange for NIL compensation?

I was thinking something similar. Or have a clause in the scholarship paperwork that says they’ll play all games in the season as long as they are healthy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Cash prize for the winning team’s players is all I can come up with and even then players with NFL prospects may opt out.  Or how about contractual obligations to play in bowl games in exchange for NIL compensation?

can't do the NIL only if you play thing.  fans of teams will have to adjust expectations that a bowl might just be getting next years starters some reps against good competition.

42 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

No, because its not really about the bowl games but about the extra practices the team gets along with bringing along the younger guys. Thats why every non playoff bowl matter now. Think of it as preseason for the following year.

They already have spring ball and the season just ended. There's no point to it anymore. 

33 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

I don't understand the opting out logic. These players have played 25-40 games and one more game is going to be the one that causes injuries? Did Travis get injured in a bowl game? The probability of getting injured is likely higher in the conference championship and other big season games rather than the bowl game where the coaches are looking for getting playing time for next year's guys. If I were the NFL guy, I would give plus points for playing in a bowl game and not chickening out due to a small possibility of an injury.

Odds aren't high for injury but after what happened to Jalen Smith at Notre Dame in the bowl game that's when the opt outs started en masse

10 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

That's basically the same circumstances as mine..... this all about money, so make them choose, and make them choose earlier.

The Criminoles might be about to lose by 70, thus eclipsing the Dawgs eating the Frogs last year by 58.  Instead of expanding the playoff to twelve teams, perhaps they should institute something like a 10 run rule like in Little League so that everyone could go home early since the outcome is no longer in doubt.  At least the FSU fans won't have far to drive to get back to their trailer parks.

14 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I was thinking something similar. Or have a clause in the scholarship paperwork that says they’ll play all games in the season as long as they are healthy.

Coach, I want to play, I really do, but my back is a little tight.  I better sit this one out.

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

I didn't check, so this is an honest question...did a lot of the FSU defense opt out?  

I thought their D was good in the games I saw them play this year, but maybe they just played really bad teams.

There are only 10 players total and they are playing both offense and defense.

• Haha 1