2023 Orange Bowl - Florida State vs. Georgia

satyanash

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This new era of college football has been terrible for the bowl games.

ESPN is going to be working on rule changes.

What are they going to do? 

Institute a last 6/4 games plus bowls/CFP play/no-play deadline (similar to a trading deadline) to force players to make their opt-out decisions more painful since they'd be affecting the regular season games?

That would push this junk into the most important parts of the regular season.

I don't see how they'd make the bowls "better" -- do you want a 64-team CFP instead?  Lulz.

Stick to the code, score all ye' can.

I'll say this on the amount of bowl games or lesser value bowl games.  I like 'em, it gives me a chance for more college football.  I can see teams I might not otherwise watch.  It gives the smaller, less talented, wanna-be schools a chance to get some TV dollars.  A chance to try to sell themselves to other kids for recruiting purposes.  I'd imagine, at times it gives the players a chance to travel to someplace they may have not ever been.   There are other alumni that can travel and get an opportunity to talk some smack and be proud.  College ball just isn't about the bluebloods.  For me, I wanna go to the Fargo Dome for a NDSU game.  It just seems kinda cool.  If it wasn't for ESPN and GameDay, I would have not ever known jackshit about 'em.  Just my take.  I need to go check my smoke making efforts, so I'm off my soapbox.  Carry on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Jaylon Smith says hello.

Yes, it is a non-zero probability but probably lower than the probability in any other important game as evidenced by many injuries to our players this season. You may as well not play football if a small risk of injury is going to hold you back.

Edited by AeroHorn

Starting next year, you’ll start to see a few bowls fall by the wasteside. All of the NY6 will be under the CFP halo. After that the Mayo, Texas, Alamo, Tony the Tiger Sun and Music City Bowls will be the clear elite tier below and they’ll survive. The others will be on life support until the plug is pulled by ESPN.

Stick to the code, score all ye' can.
I'll say this on the amount of bowl games or lesser value bowl games.  I like 'em, it gives me a chance for more college football.  I can see teams I might not otherwise watch.  It gives the smaller, less talented, wanna-be schools a chance to get some TV dollars.  A chance to try to sell themselves to other kids for recruiting purposes.  I'd imagine, at times it gives the players a chance to travel to someplace they may have not ever been.   There are other alumni that can travel and get an opportunity to talk some smack and be proud.  College ball just isn't about the bluebloods.  For me, I wanna go to the Fargo Dome for a NDSU game.  It just seems kinda cool.  If it wasn't for ESPN and GameDay, I would have not ever known jackshit about 'em.  Just my take.  I need to go check my smoke making efforts, so I'm off my soapbox.  Carry on. 

This. 95% of CFB fans will never see their team in a playoff.

It’s already semi-pro football and everyone else.

17 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

What are they going to do? 

Institute a last 6/4 games plus bowls/CFP play/no-play deadline (similar to a trading deadline) to force players to make their opt-out decisions more painful since they'd be affecting the regular season games?

That would push this junk into the most important parts of the regular season.

I don't see how they'd make the bowls "better" -- do you want a 64-team CFP instead?  Lulz.

Cash prize for the winning team’s players is all I can come up with and even then players with NFL prospects may opt out.  Or how about contractual obligations to play in bowl games in exchange for NIL compensation?

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agree, I don't know how non playoff bowls survive without changes No way advertisers going to keep ponying up for these games.

this is exactly what was going to happen and why the bowls fought so hard against the playoff.  

The Bowls and Polls are a bygone era.  playing school/for school, team ranking, recruiting, parades, dinners for muckity mucks, business relationships, etc. 

sure the opt outs make it a bit different but it was always going to end up like this.