2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

Good riddance to the hot and dry 2023 (Mabry/Airport ended up with 27" of rain).

May 2024 see rainfall above average and spread nicely through the year.

First up, a week where rainfall is predicted at 0.5" to 1.0" in the Austin area, with us of course being on the edge. Let's see how disappointed we can start the new year...

image.png.dbfc5dd02b635ebfbbff0d930853fde8.png

1 hour ago, gurt said:

Some decently heavy stuff right where it’s been needed most (Boerne to Burnet)

Already 0.54" at my house in Boerne.

So I guess we're on pace for almost 100" of rain in 2024.  But it will probably be closer to 0.54" total.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, seems like the rain projections were about 50 miles east of where they ended up, which is good for us. I got 1.5". 

The latest daily update for both 6-10 and 8-14 day outlook shows even more likelihood of rain. Looks like the last 10 days of the month are going to be pretty wet.

Fuck all those maps, I'm in the dark green "above avg" precipitation outlook in every single one of them, and we haven't gotten a drop since before thanksgiving. Not even a few drops of dew off the metal roof. Its so dry and cold you go outside and think your nose is running and its actually bleeding because your nasal linings have frozen and cracked open. We are going to freeze and burn at the same time. As in freezing while wild fires burn it all. 

Single digits last night, and not even a layer of frost on the car windshield this morning. 

This time last year we had eight inches of snow on the ground and me and my daughter went sledding. And it was probably 15-20 degrees warmer. 

11 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Fuck all those maps, I'm in the dark green "above avg" precipitation outlook in every single one of them, and we haven't gotten a drop since before thanksgiving. Not even a few drops of dew off the metal roof. Its so dry and cold you go outside and think your nose is running and its actually bleeding because your nasal linings have frozen and cracked open. We are going to freeze and burn at the same time. As in freezing while wild fires burn it all. 

Single digits last night, and not even a layer of frost on the car windshield this morning. 

This time last year we had eight inches of snow on the ground and me and my daughter went sledding. And it was probably 15-20 degrees warmer. 

Where are you?

Just now, Brisketexan said:

So, it's a pretty common rain forecast:

Lotsa rain!

But not where we need it.

Just take an umbrella out on the ledge man. You will be fine. Now the lakes? Nah, they are fucked.

We need an immigrating wet system, from Mexico, to come on up.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, it's a pretty common rain forecast:

Lotsa rain!

But not where we need it.

Almost like the area west of town is much drier and more arid than the area east of town. 

My wunderground forecast for NW Austin currently shows 3.02" of rain between this Sunday and next Saturday.

Call your shots. Over/Under?

I am feeling optimistic and will take the over. I'll be using the LCRA gauge at Bull Creek/360 for my measurements.

image.jpeg.3dc450798ff21ad635b4f5ce2331c376.jpeg