2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

6 minutes ago, hornian said:

My kid's school drop off line was a clusterfuck this morning. 

Yep, I don't know what people were waiting for either - just pull up and have your kids get out.  Don't wait for anybody to open the door or whatever.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

2.76 so far near 360/2222.  Steady 0.5" per hour since ~ 2:30 AM.  Love it.

A friend posted a photo of Shoal Creek down near 35th and it's running pretty high already. I would assume the other city creeks are the same.

11 minutes ago, hornian said:

My kid's school drop off line was a clusterfuck this morning. 

Multiple parents physically getting out of the car to walk their precious cargo 10 feet to the safety of the awning when you're not supposed to get out of the car. Jamming up the line for everyone else whose kids know they're not going to melt walking in 10 feet of light rain. I swear to god....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Multiple parents physically getting out of the car to walk their precious cargo 10 feet to the safety of the awning when you're not supposed to get out of the car. Jamming up the line for everyone else whose kids know they're not going to melt walking in 10 feet of light rain. I swear to god....

I lived around the block from Cedar Creek in Eanes growing up.  My mom would basically say “I hope you didn’t lose your rain coat “ before driving off to work and leaving me to walk/bike to school. Gen X is built different.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I lived around the block from Cedar Creek in Eanes growing up.  My mom would basically say “I hope you didn’t lose your rain coat “ before driving off to work and leaving me to walk/bike to school. Gen X is built different.

I did dropoff crosswalk/direction most of last week to give the teachers some reprieve from the cold.  And our SRO did something kinda cool for the kids that biked to CCE.  He left each bike on the racks a note that said, "You're a Trooper" with a couple of pieces of candy for the handful of kids that still braved the bike ride (our dropoff line by automobile was a clusterfuck because of volume).  Thought that was really cool.  Couldn't make it today but I'm stealing your mom's idea and putting a note on the bikes that say "Hope you didn't lose your rain coat" later this week during more rains/dropoff duty with some pieces of candy for the kids that biked it (obviously have to give the candy to the SRO to distribute since you got your damn laws against candy from strangers, thanks a lot Bin Laden!)

But holy shit, kudos to the kids of this generation that can hoof it/bike it in freezing temps, 105* days in August, and rains like this.  Looks like the reporting stations in around the down-river lakes are doing very well.  Very well.  

20 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Raincoat? 
Mom going to work?

WTF?

• Haha 6

Rain gauge must have busted with the freeze last week, it says 1/4" here in east RR.  Ain't no way it's that little (That's What She Said).

Lower Brushy Creek dam down the street had a reading of 2.42 as of 8A, we'll get something and like it!?

Edited by Redneck Mutha

On 1/18/2024 at 7:27 AM, Orange&White said:

My wunderground forecast for NW Austin currently shows 3.02" of rain between this Sunday and next Saturday.

Call your shots. Over/Under?

I am feeling optimistic and will take the over. I'll be using the LCRA gauge at Bull Creek/360 for my measurements.

image.jpeg.3dc450798ff21ad635b4f5ce2331c376.jpeg

Apparently I undershot. Already 3.01" in the gauge.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Never fear there is always bad news with the good news around here… lakes are like this…

thirsty steve martin GIF

and downstream gets this…

Water Stay Hydrated GIF

IMG_4239.png

Well that's why the first settlers of the Hill Country soon realized they couldn't farm out there like they thought they could.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

A friend posted a photo of Shoal Creek down near 35th and it's running pretty high already. I would assume the other city creeks are the same.

Yep Shoal Creek was out of its banks at 35th street about an hour ago

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But holy shit, kudos to the kids of this generation that can hoof it/bike it in freezing temps, 105* days in August, and rains like this.  Looks like the reporting stations in around the down-river lakes are doing very well.  Very well.  

Shit, I saw kids in shorts last week when it was barely above freezing.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit, I saw kids in shorts last week when it was barely above freezing.

My kids usually wear shorts when it’s north of 50, and occasionally in the 40s.

I grew up in the mid-Atlantic, and while my memories of childhood are imprecise, I probably didn’t wear shorts from October-ish through early March before I moved to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, both my sons (now out of their teens) wore shorts 24/7, regardless of weather.  Where I grew up we had sub-freezing lows for probably 3 months out of the year, and I sure as hell wasn't wearing shorts.  These two geniuses thought nothing of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

My kids usually wear shorts when it’s north of 50, and occasionally in the 40s.

I grew up in the mid-Atlantic, and while my memories of childhood are imprecise, I probably didn’t wear shorts from October-ish through early March before I moved to Texas.

There was always one asshat at Bates who would rock shorts and a fleece vest through Christmas break.  Usually single digits would force them into pants and a jacket come January. 

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Life was tough for us out on the mean streets of Weslake Hills/Rollingwood.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Nearing 3” here, but fucking cockshit gotdamn roof has another fucking leak. That’s the 6th godfuckingdamn leak in 3 years on a roof that’s about 5 years old

F&^king ROFLBOX. Just can't trust the guy.*

This was a joke. I have no idea who fixed Squish's roof.

Edited by Orange&White

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Life was tough for us out on the mean streets of Weslake Hills/Rollingwood.

It was never the same after Panera closed.

(Full disclosure:  I have no idea if there was ever a Panera in Westlake/Rollingwood.)

This doesn’t seem to align with to totals that I’ve seen on the internet.  But, this is my rain gauge total for today in the 78628

IMG_4534.thumb.jpeg.6e8d318a6bf1610b752357b961fba2b5.jpeg

Edited by leaf
added zip code
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I actively heckle people who do this. I followed a guy home last year and read him the riot act about it when he was getting out of his shitty honda minivan.

But .. “You’re in Texas. It is idiocy to follow someone home and do that!”

A guy stopping the dropoff line to get out and ferry his kids inside isn’t pulling a gun on a guy yelling at his ass for being a fucking pussy at school. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

A guy stopping the dropoff line to get out and ferry his kids inside isn’t pulling a gun on a guy yelling at his ass for being a fucking pussy at school. 

Tldr ctj:

GIF by Breaking Bad

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I actively heckle people who do this. I followed a guy home last year and read him the riot act about it when he was getting out of his shitty honda minivan.

If that happens to me, I generally hire a construction guy with a trailer to block egress from his house.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Sometimes you just gotta be like Elsa.
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

No shit. I stood in the fucking rain waiting for the bus. The cold fucking rain. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Glad your brother is okay, Wulaw.  That looks like it could have been much worse.  I don't know more cars anymore, but looks like a Camaro?  And the front end absorption cage definitely did its job, so props to whoever made that car.  

Rain starting up again and looks like it won't stop until late Wednesday night.  Y'all be safe out there.  Glad the lakes are getting the direct hit.  

I guess look on the bright side of this foggy morning, if this precip system had hit us just a few days ago, we'd all be proper fucked.

50 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Glad your brother is okay, Wulaw.  That looks like it could have been much worse.  I don't know more cars anymore, but looks like a Camaro?  And the front end absorption cage definitely did its job, so props to whoever made that car.  

Rain starting up again and looks like it won't stop until late Wednesday night.  Y'all be safe out there.  Glad the lakes are getting the direct hit.  

I guess look on the bright side of this foggy morning, if this precip system had hit us just a few days ago, we'd all be proper fucked.

yep.  If this hits a week ago we'd have 2+ ft of snow on the ground right now.