2024 Weight Loss/Exercise Thread

Posted (edited)

As tends to happen about once or twice a year, tweaked my lower back 3 Fridays ago on the 2nd to last rep of a hard workout. Wasn't particularly bad and was still able to do so most of my workouts the following week, but then I totally re-aggravated it on the crunch machine last Monday, just when I thought I was fully 100% again. Had some rough days last week and was only able to do low-impact cardio and light lifting that didn't involve bending my back too much. Feeling pretty good again, but definitely gonna ease back into the routine this week. Still kinda stiff when I get up from sitting too long or riding in my truck.

Last time I really had this issue was around Memorial Day last year, and then I started getting much better about stretching every day. Had 7-8 months with no issues, which of course led to getting lazy about my stretching. I just have to drill it in my head that I'm damn near 40, and despite having a pretty consistent exercise routine, I simply have to do things properly or I'm gonna keep having problems.

Edited by Storm the Field

Yeah you gotta stretch. I go once a week to stretch therapy bc I’m not disciplined enough to do it on my own - don’t feel like it, forget, run out of time

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NCMountaineer said:

I may have gone just a bit hard on leg day this morning

Screenshot_20240307-120346.thumb.png.9cadfb8d8748b42850932a132c15dee3.png

Impossible to go too hard on leg day. Because it’s the best day 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey cool. Didn't know this thread existed.  I recently started to incorporate the Norwegian 4x4 protocol into my workouts once a week for max VO2. The subsequent workouts following this have been excellent. I don't know if there is a direct correlation but these last week or two of workouts have been the best in years for me.  

About 3-4 years ago I partially tore my right pec. Doctor did injections of my own blood (plasma?) to promote healing, but surgery not an option. 

My left pec has very recently started hurting doing bench. Feels like it might be similar pain. I’m also mildly terrified of tearing again, so it’s always in the back of my head fucking with me, but it’s always been a fear of re-tearing right side. 

Question 1 - can a doctor do any scan and say “yep, you’re about to tear it if you don’t stop”

question 2- is there anything I can do that isn’t never lifting again?  I’m fine taking a break if that would do it, but if I have something wrong with ME I’m concerned it would just come back after a break

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 1:38 PM, dcbc said:

Heartburn was par for the course with Ozempic for me.  It was worse when I drank for sure.  But when I had a few beers, it was like it turned Ozempic off as far as my not wanting to eat.  I used to keep a big container of TUMS by the bed in case I work up with reflux in the middle of the night.  I'd bought one shortly before going off Ozempic and I probably haven't taken 4 TUMS in the last six months.  Hopefully, for you, it goes away.  The honeymoon period (first few months) with 0.5 mg of Ozempic per week was the most weight I lost on it (approx. 25 lbs).  If you can make dietary lifestyle changes along with it, I think you'll have even more success.  Good luck.

Bad heartburn has stopped being a nightly occurrence as of about 2 weeks ago.  Still get it, but manageable with tums and Prilosec.  Wine is an absolute no go at this point. I think it also gave me the shits, but that seems to have calmed down. 

Definitely eating less. Getting some more low impact exercise now that my calf has healed. Still having issues with my body trying to sabotage me between my back and pec. But I was 206 the second week of February when I started, and my weight this week was 196, so I’m happy for the progress. Probably stopping after one more month, hopefully the eating habits will have set in a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/20/2024 at 11:50 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Bad heartburn has stopped being a nightly occurrence as of about 2 weeks ago.  Still get it, but manageable with tums and Prilosec.  Wine is an absolute no go at this point. I think it also gave me the shits, but that seems to have calmed down. 

Definitely eating less. Getting some more low impact exercise now that my calf has healed. Still having issues with my body trying to sabotage me between my back and pec. But I was 206 the second week of February when I started, and my weight this week was 196, so I’m happy for the progress. Probably stopping after one more month, hopefully the eating habits will have set in a bit. 

I guess I was lucky on Ozempic, almost zero side effects. I would advise really leaning into those healthy eating habits now. My insurance dropped coverage in Sept and I'm already plus 20 lbs. 

It's funny, people on the Ozempic Reddit page are depressed because the shot is "robbing them of their food enjoyment". I'm angry and depressed that the "food noise" in my head has been turned back on. Diet and exercise is great, but damn, Ozempic was like hitting hyperdrive in Star Wars. 

Y'all keep up the good work and keep fighting the good fight. 

Posted (edited)

Got “garage” remodel finished and added a home gym. Loving it. Using combo of apps for workouts: Fitbod & SmartGym. I have been following a “Push, Pull, Lower body” track for the past month or so. Crazy how the lower body days spike heart rate/burn so many more calories. 

-edit - hadn’t noticed my “Goruck Tribe” deal was off kilter (tape had slipped) so for those of you with OCD it is fixed  

IMG_4274.jpeg

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Got “garage” remodel finished and added a home gym. Loving it. Using combo of apps for workouts: Fitbod & SmartGym. I have been following a “Push, Pull, Lower body” track for the past month or so. Crazy how the lower body days spike heart rate/burn so many more calories. 

-edit - hadn’t noticed my “Goruck Tribe” deal was off kilter (tape had slipped) so for those of you with OCD it is fixed  

IMG_4274.jpeg

Fitness bro humblebrag, well done

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Doctors seem to be giving out these GLP1s like candy. Will it become a problem?

Doesn’t mean insurance will pay for it. It actually helps with some symptoms my wife has from PCOS and insurance said fuck off after a few months. 

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Doesn’t mean insurance will pay for it. It actually helps with some symptoms my wife has from PCOS and insurance said fuck off after a few months. 

I fully expect insurance not to cover it. I'm more curious about what happens long term. From what I'm reading and from what friends who've used them are telling me, the weight comes back almost immediately once you stop using it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I fully expect insurance not to cover it. I'm more curious about what happens long term. From what I'm reading and from what friends who've used them are telling me, the weight comes back almost immediately once you stop using it.

some of the industry articles on this think it's not a long term impact to bariatrics/metabolic programs - can't take it forever (for most folks), so some of the projections have a "start taking GLP1, make no lifestyle changes, drop weight, stop taking GLP1, re-gain the weight...go to a bariatric program to get surgery" piece built into it.

my general understanding is that it is NOT a long term solution for most people.

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

One of the other issues that hasn't been as covered is that you have to go to the gym while taking them as it is not just fat you are losing but muscle. So you may find yourself down 20lbs but also super weak etc due to muscle loss. I am seeing some studies finally coming out that highlight how problematic this is.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

One of the other issues that hasn't been as covered is that you have to go to the gym while taking them as it is not just fat you are losing but muscle. So you may find yourself down 20lbs but also super weak etc due to muscle loss. I am seeing some studies finally coming out that highlight how problematic this is.

I hadn't heard that before but it makes sense.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:44 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

How tall are all ya'll to put the weight in perspective?  I'm 6'0" and 205, down from about 217.

5'11.5 - down to 201 now after being up to 240 last year. Just 6 more lbs to hit my target goal of my swimming weight from college, hoping by the end of the month. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NCMountaineer said:

5'11.5 - down to 201 now after being up to 240 last year. Just 6 more lbs to hit my target goal of my swimming weight from college, hoping by the end of the month. 

Swam4NC?

• Hook 'Em 2

Going to the gym doesn’t keep you from losing muscle when in a caloric deficit. When in a caloric deficit, even in enhanced athletes, muscle catabolism occurs. Taking in enough protein/carbs/fats to limit the catabolism that comes from being in a caloric deficit will keep you from losing as much muscle.

On 3/31/2024 at 12:55 PM, BrazilHorn said:

IMG_4274.jpeg

Damn. Nice. Do you need another friend?  

On 3/31/2024 at 3:07 PM, chainsaw said:

Doctors seem to be giving out these GLP1s like candy. Will it become a problem?

On 4/1/2024 at 9:40 AM, BrazilHorn said:

That's my understanding.  (I'm not a doctor or a trainer but I've read some articles and listened to a few podcasts.)

The initial weight loss is both fat and muscle but when you stop taking it, you almost instantly gain the weight back but all in fat.  That's problematic because as you get older (think 40's and 50's, not 70's and 80's), you start to lose muscle mass anyway and you need to work to maintain for old age.  You can say while on the drugs, you could hit the gym and lift but I'd say 99% of the people on the drug aren't exactly hitting the gym.  

• Hook 'Em 2

So, a page ago I'd mentioned losing weight due to a bug I'd picked up. Once recovered, I continued portion control with the healthy plate method (1/2 plate is veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb), exercise, and I already didn't consume much sugar but made an effort to restrict foods like chips for snacking by not eating after supper etc. The good news was that in addition to keeping some weight off that I'd gained over the years, when I got some blood work done recently, my labs were quite good overall. Blood sugar and everything in the normal range so no meds whatsoever. Ten pounds lighter and back to give 'em hell I'd like to speak to the manager form. Plus, my cocktail habit with prepping supper seems to not be detrimental....yet.

As far as the medications go, my neighbor was on Ozempic and the weight loss was real but it messed up some other stuff for her so she had to stop it on advice from her PCP. It was something to do with her kidneys/creatine levels but I admit I don't know anything beyond that.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't post much, but I'm following this thread.

I've been trying to lose weight and get back into shape. Started around mid-December. I've been lifting almost daily since then. I don't like doing cardio so that part is pretty limited. I have been trying to get up and move around a lot more during the day though and getting my steps in. Also, I've really tried to focus on diet. I wish the weight loss would be more, but I am down from about 225 to 214 since then. I have put on a ton of muscle, so I'm sure my body fat percentage is much improved. Clothes all fit a lot differently. I've lost a lot of belly fat and am probably down 3-4 inches in my waist size. I'd eventually like to get below 200. Seems like at the current pace it will take me a few more months.

• Hook 'Em 5

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got too much time on my hands today. If you’re struggling to find things that taste good but don’t break your calorie bank then see below.

692296170c5e9bd7a6b049a8d8d698f4.jpg

c1f4d43684d828e9d589a5afe12f1b1d.jpg

d9f659b32f32855fb5d1814ae2a4e1b2.jpg

22a56e244db23b07791be82a1e223f2d.jpg

This time of year is always the most difficult part for me to stay sane as over the next 5 weeks I will be pushing hardest on my diet. Then for the next 10-12 weeks I will stay in a deficit 4-6 days a week with a refeed or two sprinkled in. The above are my go to’s for calorically restricted eating without going insane.

Every condiment above is 0-5 calories per serving. Every weener above is 100 or less, most being 80 calories. Carb sense or egg white wraps. South Austin’s mom may not think 3 weeners is a lot, but for most of us that on 3 wraps would be a solid meal.

If you like the information above and find it useful; I have more to share if there is an appetite (pun intended) for it.

• Hook 'Em 4

So six months ago I got the threat of a third antidiabetic med. I was already on jardiance and metformin. My a1C was 7.8.

I started trying to lose weight and I did, but then saw a nutritionist. They pointed out a lot of my substitute foods were bad for me (high carb) and some other things.

I changed:
Workout:
stationary recumbent bike 30 min 6x week
Weight workout: mjnor body weight/ kettlebell/ dumbbell 3 times a week. Sometimes 4.

Breakfast starts 12 hours after last food of the night before. (No cereal.) Omelette / strawberries / banana

Snacks: peanuts / apple or grapes or any fruit (no longer granola bars)

Pasta: great reduction most days to almost none
Sandwiches maybe once or twice a week (used to be almost every other day)

Dinner: two vegetable portions. Rarely corn. The air fryer has really helped here.

Chocolate/candy: greatly reduced

After dinner treat: usually fruit popsicles

Drinks: water. Plenty of water. (no longer Splenda tea / diet soda / sweetened sparkling water)

One “cheat” dinner Fridays. That is usually my pasta or pizza night as the family goes out.

Two weeks ago was the 6 month follow up. My a1C is down 1.5 to 6.3. My weight is down 35 pounds.

My cholesterol is where it needs to be.

This was the right kind of wake up call.
I hope I can maintain it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

weighed in at a very nice 196.9 this morning post-workout. 

has anyone noticed their NEAT going way down as they lose weight? I've been fidgeting at my desk a lot less and noticed my calories burned on a rest day went from about 27-2800 about 2 months ago down to about 2500 now. Dropping the weight certainly helps explain some of that, but not all of it. I've been trying to make an effort to take a couple laps around the office each hour or trying to park at the far end of the lot if I run out to the store to try to compensate a bit. Any other strategies you guys use that might help?

197 back in February. 6'2". Cut down to one meal a day and keep nothing to snack on around the house. Increased my daily walking from about 5 miles a day to 8 or 9. This morning, the scale said 173. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Had my six month labs today for testosterone shots.

6'0" tall here and at the beginning, I was 219.  Down to 215 now.  (Had a bit of a fat weekend, though.)  However, body fat % went from 24% to 16% in that span.  Skeletal muscle mass went from 95 lbs to 105 lbs.  Both significant changes and improvements.

Also made changes to diet and fitness but these testosterone shots are cheat codes.

Do yall have any recommendations for morning protein shakes? Do you recommend eating breakfast at all? My sleep doctor recommended intermittent fasting but it turns out I already do that. From 7pm to noon the next day I don't eat or drink anything besides water. So far it hasn't done much to bring me back into the 220s. 

Just seeing this thread. Last July got a new primary care doc, and apparently previous to her, all my doc and I did in appointments was shoot the shit about F1. He never seemed worried about my numbers other than BP ( am on BP meds). Well new doc lights me up about just about everything. Gives me three months before she starts prescribing half the pharmacy to try and make some changes. I was at 260 lbs (5'11") at that July appointment. Just hit 215 for the first time since Junior year of college. All my numbers in the green, and we have cut my BP meds in half. Trying to get down to right at 200, then we will go from there.  This is 100% from walking (7-10 miles a day) a very drastic diet change (huge reduction in calories). Tried running a few times, but growing up in a small town, and being forced to run CC for four years means I'll literally do anything else than run. Have not started lifting again, but I think I'll start that after I get closer to 200. The whole new wardrobe thing was really eye opening. Did a purge, and I only have about 14 shirts, both dress and T's that fit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Do yall have any recommendations for morning protein shakes? Do you recommend eating breakfast at all? My sleep doctor recommended intermittent fasting but it turns out I already do that. From 7pm to noon the next day I don't eat or drink anything besides water. So far it hasn't done much to bring me back into the 220s. 

I eat 1-2 pieces of lean skirt steak and 3 eggs.  Lots of protein, no carbs.

May need to shake up your workout if you want to get into that range.

On 4/22/2024 at 1:11 PM, HRSchenker said:

usually I'll do a quick carb (oranges seem to be my go-to lately) with some caffeine in the morning, hit the gym for about an hour and a half, and then do a protein shake and a light breakfast. Typically Greek yogurt and some sort of complex carb with it. 

As for which one to go with I really couldn't recommend one way or the other. Isolate is generally going to cost a bit more than concentrate but you'll also generally get more protein per serving from isolate, with less carbs and fat. Couldn't speak on specific brands though Optimum Nutrition tends to be a go-to for a lot of people. Personally I have been doing some of the Revolution Nutrition High Whey varieties lately, though that was mostly because the price point was hard to pass up at the time. Not sure if it's still on sale.