Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

That was the problem with the FEC, students only in the rafters.  But, you could always be guaranteed to get a cheap ticket.

A coach can't do much about the venue they play in, just be the mouthpiece for the athletic department (who actually drive the whole strategy). 

If I remember events correctly, I thought I remember DeLoss first talking about the need for a new b-ball venue & CDC driving the execution.  But who knows how ling it took UT to secure the funding.  They did officially announce the intention for construction in 2018, broke ground in 2019, but obviously project had been in the planning phases years before that.  It did  a year into Beardy's tenure.  So he was just fortunate to inherit it at that time.  But I would credit CDC for the hype and experience machine (because fuck that prior guy....), as he also drove similar revamps of Football & baseball. 

Hell, I remember even Barnes criticizing the FEC venue back in the day, but there was nothing he could do about the seating arrangement, as the Foundation had all court level seats locked in.  Therefore all resident seating assignments would all need to be nuked with the new arena.

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I recall sitting behind the basket a lot but that was in 2008

Yeah, I believe up until the end, students had 2 sections each behind both baskets and overflow was in the upper deck.

The big complaint always seemed to be no students were seated behind the opposing bench or even near the bench.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're trying to compare a desolate wasteland of a 17k seat venue vs an 11k venue. Straight up brain dead argument. FEC with a winning team was not a rambunctious place or intimidating place to play. Everything is so far from the court. Once our team is good in basketball to the level it was in mid 00s then you'll see the difference. You saw spirts of it in a short time so far....it will outperform FEC completely

Exactly -- it's the same with Rodney Terry as it was with Chris Beard. The women's crowd vs. Kansas State was exceptional.

But my point -- which you just made -- is that it's about the Moody Center, not Chris Beard. Chris Beard is NOT responsible for the Moody Center being constructed. 

• Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude earlier was using attendance to justify crowd.  Thanks for commenting though.

No, that's not what I was doing.

I was told that "fan engagement/attendance" was NEVER in the history of Texas basketball what it was under Chris Beard. Then I pointed out that in 2008 Texas had four consecutive sellouts cheering on a team that made the Elite Eight. 

But apparently the only things those fans cared about were the American Airlines halfcourt shot and/or when the Rudy's balloon dropped $2 coupons. They certainly weren't there to cheer for the basketball team, because Chris Beard was using his magical Pixie Dust in Lubbock with Bobby Knight then. 

• Fuck You 4

Instead why don’t you post the KenPom final ranking by year? The one that sums up offense and defense and strength of schedule and everything else.

Let’s see what it says.

Still waiting for this.

16 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, I believe up until the end, students had 2 sections each behind both baskets and overflow was in the upper deck.

The big complaint always seemed to be no students were seated behind the opposing bench or even near the bench.

They created the section for students behind the baskets during the 00s, prior to that all student seating was in the rafters. As an avid college basketball fan who arrived on campus  in the mid 90s that was extremely disappointing to discover I wouldn't be seated close to the action and had no ability to really affect the game.  

What’s the neg rep number for destroying a user? Reality Check has to be close and his relentless idiocy has been enough to where I’m ready to join a good ol’ fatwa if someone wants to declare it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What’s the neg rep number for destroying a user? Reality Check has to be close and his relentless idiocy has been enough to where I’m ready to join a good ol’ fatwa if someone wants to declare it. 

Do it

12 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

Kaiser Bob vs Jody Conradt was a no-brainer.

Weltlich's teams were such a beating to watch.  I remember one game in which he was furious with Patrick Fairs for dunking.  I think he actually put him on the bench for a few minutes, but I might have made that part up.

Hare are our tourney seeds going back a 15 years now that this year's seeding has been announced.  For as ugly as this season was, we've had objectively better regular seasons than this only 4 times in the last 15+ years (not counting last year).

2024 – 7 seed
2023 – 2 seed
----------------------
2022 – 6 seed
----------------------
2021 – 3 seed
2020  (Covid, Likely 10 seed)
2019 – Missed tourney
2018 – 10 seed
2017 – Missed tourney
2016 – 6 seed  
----------------------
2015 – 11 seed
2014 – 7 seed
2013 – Missed tourney
2012 – 11 seed
2011 – 4 seed
2010 – 8 seed
2009 – 7 seed

Is a 7-seed good enough? No. Will RT consistently deliver better results than this?  Probably not. 

But it is a little above average for us recently, which means it is going to be very tough to fire RT if he keeps delivering these results.  Good, but not great - the worst place we could be as a fanbase.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Starship Troopers GIF

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Hare are our tourney seeds going back a 15 years now that this year's seeding has been announced.  For as ugly as this season was, we've had objectively better regular seasons than this only 4 times in the last 15+ years (not counting last year).

2024 – 7 seed
2023 – 2 seed
----------------------
2022 – 6 seed
----------------------
2021 – 3 seed
2020  (Covid, Likely 10 seed)
2019 – Missed tourney
2018 – 10 seed
2017 – Missed tourney
2016 – 6 seed  
----------------------
2015 – 11 seed
2014 – 7 seed
2013 – Missed tourney
2012 – 11 seed
2011 – 4 seed
2010 – 8 seed
2009 – 7 seed

Is a 7-seed good enough? No. Will RT consistently deliver better results than this?  Probably not. 

But it is a little above average for us recently, which means it is going to be very tough to fire RT if he keeps delivering these results.  Good, but not great - the worst place we could be as a fanbase.

fire the coach !!!!

On 3/15/2024 at 4:05 PM, Reality Check said:

Exactly -- it's the same with Rodney Terry as it was with Chris Beard. The women's crowd vs. Kansas State was exceptional.

But my point -- which you just made -- is that it's about the Moody Center, not Chris Beard. Chris Beard is NOT responsible for the Moody Center being constructed. 

16,231....why I remember that number I have no idea.  I do remember attending several games over the years and the seats were just too comfortable!  I mean who wants to stand up?

all of the excuses for RT not winning/substantially improving fresno state and utep over a decade as a HC, and then there’s will wade out here doing this:

IMG_1352.thumb.jpeg.0f0a920bee18ff015dc053c650f14f12.jpeg

into:

IMG_1353.thumb.jpeg.b212ece6a4c109c04a0d050ecc611a9a.jpeg

with a career resume that looks like this:

IMG_1351.thumb.jpeg.0791f24e77c471cb67b5d1d71be996f5.jpeg

also here’s lsu the team before wade took over:

IMG_1354.thumb.jpeg.a42aff43506476623e551760757d7fdd.jpeg

good coaches win. they win early, they win often, and they win everywhere they go. no more excuses and rationalizing for RT. root for the team, support him while he’s here, but stop with the disingenuous defense of his body of work/projected future future success.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes.  and still coaching just like Will Wade.

Yea you’re gonna have to take it up with cdc.  I think he has a no cheater and no wife beater rule that is apparently non negotiable.  

Ok can someone compare dean smith and bobby knight with Rodney please?

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

in b4 Derka uses "disingenuous" again.

42 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

in after jimmy gets triggered again by the tiniest little thing that i said.

now kiss GIF

• Haha 3

Again, nobody is saying RT is a great coach. Literally nobody.  If I'm wrong, then post a quote and I'll admit I'm wrong.   To claim that any of us are arguing RT is great is in fact "disingenuous".

I have only claimed that he is a "good" coach and I stand by that.  Good enough for Texas? Probably not.

Fresno using Massey Ratings:

• After RT - 148.4 
  • During RT - 108.3  (#71 last year)
  • Before RT - 168.1

27 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea you’re gonna have to take it up with cdc.  I think he has a no cheater and no wife beater rule that is apparently non negotiable.  

Ok can someone compare dean smith and bobby knight with Rodney please?

Gerry has mentioned that the winning coach of our SS game last year was likely going to be the coach at Texas this season.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Again, nobody is saying RT is a great coach. Literally nobody.  If I'm wrong, then post a quote and I'll admit I'm wrong.   To claim that any of us are arguing RT is great is in fact "disingenuous".

I have only claimed that he is a "good" coach and I stand by that.  Good enough for Texas? Probably not.

Fresno using Massey Ratings:

• After RT - 148.4 
  • During RT - 108.3  (#71 last year)
  • Before RT - 168.1

Given our overall history, Terry is plenty good for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Again, nobody is saying RT is a great coach. Literally nobody.

did i say that anyone said he was a great coach? was i not specifically addressing the countless posts stating that his mediocre 10 years at D-1 schools in multi-bid conferences didn’t reflect on him as a coach because other coaches didn’t win there as well? did i not specifically use the word “good” and the term “good coaches”? so yeah, like you said, literally nobody is talking about rodney terry and being “great”.

its very simple: if RT was a Texas level coach he would have showed as much during the decade in which he got his opportunity. in that decade he made one tourney appearance, never won his league, never won a tourney game, took a lateral move, and then took a downward move to becoming an assistant at Texas. name any coach in the history of college basketball who is both good enough to be the UT HC in 2024 and whose coaching record looks anything like RT’s. spoiler alert: there are none. coaches at this level win wherever they go, and their career trajectory goes upward, not stalled out, sideways, then downward.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1