Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

The Iowa State guy would be a home run hire and make us all quickly forget about Chris Beard.

Ummm...I'm going to say a big fat no on that one. 

I don't know who the next coach will be. I'm excited to find out. But I'm forgetting about Chris Beard about like Morpheus was going to forget about Neo. 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

in the end we had our worst defense since the KD year. that’s a fact. barnes, shaka, and beard all fielded good-great defenses routinely. RT just fielded the worst defense since our roster was six 155 lb teenagers. taking the warped final kenpom ratings after our last two games and trying to act as if that proves that we had a “good” defense this year is…….wait for it…….

disingenuous. if you guys hate me using this word so much you should probably start being honest with your arguments. as if you’re going to sit here and post one screenshot and it will suddenly erase everyone’s memory to the fact that our defense was not good this year, and in fact the worst it’s been in a very long time.

All things being equal, I kinda like having  good offense vs having a good defense.  I'd much rather be a fan of a team that plays like Arizona or Gonzaga as opposed to UofH or Tennessee. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

but please, tell me more about how we had a good defense this year.  

Are you comparing our 2024 rank through the end of the regular season with the full year including tournament ranks from the other years? Seems like you are. And you call others disingenuous. Lololol.
  • Haha 1

The changes in our KenPom AdjO/AdjD ratings before and after this weekend look a little more extreme than they might be.  Apparently there are a whole bunch of teams crammed into a small space, so slight changes up and down can raise or lower a team quite a few spots relative to the others.

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

All things being equal, I kinda like having  good offense vs having a good defense.  I'd much rather be a fan of a team that plays like Arizona or Gonzaga as opposed to UofH or Tennessee. 

totally agree. it’s a big reason tommy lloyd has been at the top of my list for a while now. 

28 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Looks to me like this year finished with a better defense than 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2021. Based on national rankings

Also, we finished ranked #23 in KenPom, accounting for both offense AND defense.  That puts it as the 3rd highest end of year ranking since 2012... behind only 2022 and 2023.

Still not good enough. And I'm not sure RT will ever be consistently good enough. But given our recent history, it was a decent but often very frustrating year.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I love my new KenPom subscription so I can combat disingenuous shitposts.

dude. you’re seriously going to make me post this for third time in the thread? really? and you’re thumping your chest when you’re wrong? bold strategy. but here we go again:

AdjD during the kenpom era

first number is AdjD which is points given up per 100 possessions weighted for sos, the second number is the national rank

2024- 100.3 (61)

2023- 92.1 (13)

2022- 91.6 (14)

2021- 92.8 (31)

2020- 92.6 (24)

2019- 94.4 (26)

2018- 94.1 (12)

2017- 93.7 (21)

2016- 96.8 (40)

2015- 93.4 (14)

2014- 97.3 (53)

2013- 95.5 (54)

2012- 97.0 (64)

2011- 89.6 (4)

2010- 93.1 (30)

2009- 92.5 (20)

2008- 95.5 (42)

2007- 100.3 (92)

2006- 91.7 (15)

2005- 97.1 (61)

2004- 94.1 (22)

2003- 95.8 (58)

2002- 98.3 (74)

2001- 90.1 (11)

2000- 87.5 (11)

1999- 91.6 (36)

this year’s Texas defense was tied for the worst defense of the kenpom era (so, since rick’s first year here) with the 2007 team that that was all skinny, tiny freshmen and basically only played six guys. a quick scan of the numbers and you can see that 100.3 is a number that is wildly high for the standard that’s been set here at Texas. 

a final note to drive home how bad of a coaching job this defense has been:

D-1 experience:

2007 Texas: 0.37 years, 333rd in d-1

2024 Texas: 3.23 years, 4th in d-1

so not only has Terry had a shaky season with his mercurial, volatile team, he’s done so with as much as d-1 experience as he will ever have on any roster he coaches the rest of his career. 

the more i post, the more i can’t believe we still have people who want RT to be our HC.

• Hook 'Em 1

only twice in the kenpom era has Texas had an AdjD over 100- KD’s year (100.3) and this year, also 100.3. there is absolutely no way that this roster should have the same AdjD as the KD roster. none.

besides which, everyone here watched this defense all season. you aren’t going to come in here and erase everyone’s memory. this team was 260th nationally in 3P defense, and dead last in the big xii. and we didn’t just finish at 14th in the league, we were 14th in the league from start to finish. we more or less did not defend the perimeter this year, and it resulted in the worst AdjD since a team that was basically six skinny teenagers. and you’re in here thinking your chest about your asinine take that we had a good defense this year. 

smarmy, combative, and uninformed. just great stuff all around dude.

Edited by shadow_operative

Look, it is very simple. If you use the end of tournament KenPom defense rankings for 1999-2023, you should also use the end of tournament ranking for 2024.  This isn't complicated.  

And comparing an absolute defensive ranking from 2013 to one from 2024 is stupid.  The game is different now.  We shoot more 3s.  We have 5th and 6th year players.  We have players foregoing the NBA draft because of NIL.  Comparing the national rank is a better measure of how we stack up in the given year.

None of this has anything to do with RT. It is just basic logic. 

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

dude. you’re seriously going to make me post this for third time in the thread? really? and you’re thumping your chest when you’re wrong? bold strategy. but here we go again:

AdjD during the kenpom era

first number is AdjD which is points given up per 100 possessions weighted for sos, the second number is the national rank

2024- 100.3 (61)

2023- 92.1 (13)

2022- 91.6 (14)

2021- 92.8 (31)

2020- 92.6 (24)

2019- 94.4 (26)

2018- 94.1 (12)

2017- 93.7 (21)

2016- 96.8 (40)

2015- 93.4 (14)

2014- 97.3 (53)

2013- 95.5 (54)

2012- 97.0 (64)

2011- 89.6 (4)

2010- 93.1 (30)

2009- 92.5 (20)

2008- 95.5 (42)

2007- 100.3 (92)

2006- 91.7 (15)

2005- 97.1 (61)

2004- 94.1 (22)

2003- 95.8 (58)

2002- 98.3 (74)

2001- 90.1 (11)

2000- 87.5 (11)

1999- 91.6 (36)

this year’s Texas defense was tied for the worst defense of the kenpom era (so, since rick’s first year here) with the 2007 team that that was all skinny, tiny freshmen and basically only played six guys. a quick scan of the numbers and you can see that 100.3 is a number that is wildly high for the standard that’s been set here at Texas. 

a final note to drive home how bad of a coaching job this defense has been:

D-1 experience:

2007 Texas: 0.37 years, 333rd in d-1

2024 Texas: 3.23 years, 4th in d-1

so not only has Terry had a shaky season with his mercurial, volatile team, he’s done so with as much as d-1 experience as he will ever have on any roster he coaches the rest of his career. 

the more i post, the more i can’t believe we still have people who want RT to be our HC.

Wait a second,  Im starting to get it now.  You're under the belief that the more frequently you rant about it here, the more likely it is that RT will be fired.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this team was 260th nationally in 3P defense,

Yes, they were 260th. Now they are 157th.  Maybe if they would have played this good all year, we would have had a better year.  Considering the WHOLE season though, this team played better 3 point defense than nine other teams since 1999.

image.thumb.png.e5187f65f4cacd36a03dcb12a6692715.png

If you want to compare regular seasons, without Big 12 tourney and without the NCAA tourney, that is fine. Just compare apples to apples across all the years.  

20 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Wait a second,  Im starting to get it now.  You're under the belief that the more frequently you rant about it here, the more likely it is that RT will be fired.  

i don’t even want RT fired. he got us into the tourney where we won a game. he’s going to be here for the next two years, and that’s fine. whatever happens beyond that is on him. i’m still going to point out and refute (word that shall not be said) arguments when they are made. this year’s defense was bad. almost everyone here knows that. anyone here who wants to argue otherwise is only showing their own lack of understanding of what they just spent the last five months watching.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Hopium?

I'm still irrationally pining for Jay Wright. Is that going to happen? It is not, Mr. SL Xpress. It is not. 

Seems like he’s sowing the field for the Kentucky job. The Cal criticisms, while valid, reeked of an ulterior motive. 

He’s 62 and had a very clean break with Villanova. Anything could be on the table. I do like him on TV, and he’d be fine staying put. 

People spend $10 on a basic analytics website, do lazy copy and paste work and think they are writing for Fangraphs. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cea1e0fa4add48871b759d29f00a20a1.jpeg

To be fair, I only subscribed to KenPom because it seems to be the Bible around here. Sorry if our defensive improvements in the last week suddenly made the data worthless.

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

To be fair, I only subscribed to KenPom because it seems to be the Bible around here. Sorry if our defensive improvements in the last week suddenly made the data worthless. emoji1787.png

ha the data isn't worthless.  there is some context that it could be 2 games of a couple of teams being off shooting or just better defense.  My issue is if it is the latter where the hell was that for the rest of the season such that we didn't have to come into the tourney as a 7 seed which means unlikely to make the S16.  That's on Tournament Terry.

the original statement is that our offense was better than our defense all year. heading into the tourney we were 18th in AdjO and 60th in AdjD. during big xii play we were 4th in AdjDO and 10th in AdjD, including being 260th/14th in 3-point defense. those were our end of season results. not that anyone here should even need to see any stats or metrics to know which side of the ball we were better at this year. that this is even being debated right now is baffling.

Edited by shadow_operative

Terry accomplished more in his first full season than Shaka did in six. He's got a Top 10 recruitment class lined up and will bring in some extra help via the portal. Give the guy a chance. It was a disappointing end to the season narrowly missing out on the Sweet 16, but at one point it didn't even look as if the team had a shot at the tourney. Losing Allen, Carr, Bishop and Rice hurt, they were key components to last season's success. While this season wasn't a great season, it definitely wasn't disastrous.

22 minutes ago, Chad said:

Terry accomplished more in his first full season than Shaka did in six. He's got a Top 10 recruitment class lined up and will bring in some extra help via the portal. Give the guy a chance. It was a disappointing end to the season narrowly missing out on the Sweet 16, but at one point it didn't even look as if the team had a shot at the tourney. Losing Allen, Carr, Bishop and Rice hurt, they were key components to last season's success. While this season wasn't a great season, it definitely wasn't disastrous.

image.gif.210df35c429cb9237e9e6f3af3590621.gif

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, Chad said:

Well, that’s one way to think about it. 

RT did great to finish this season with a tournament win. 

The big 12 was clearly top heavy and a bit overrated. 

Texas had no one who could create a shot for themselves and no one who could create shots for others. The team’s biggest strength was effort. 

RT got the max from the squad assembled  

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The big 12 was clearly top heavy and a bit overrated. 

Texas had no one who could create a shot for themselves and no one who could create shots for others. The team’s biggest strength was effort. 

Mostly agree with all this.   Not sure he got the most out of the squad, though, given that Horton ended up with more minutes than Weaver.  It should have been 2:1 or 3:1 the other way.   And Brock's stupid flagrants needed to be reigned in.   There's no reason that shit had to go on for weeks.  The coach is supposed to impose some discipline.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hard to reign a guy in who is in year 6 of doing what he does. We probably win that game if Cunningham doesn't get his usual flagrant. It was a 5-point swing.

I do agree that this team probably maximized close to what they could. I don't think anyone expected IT Horton to be non-playable or Shedrick to spend half the season on the exercise bike trying to play through back stuff. But that goes back to constructing a roster. The staff did a decent job with what they had at their disposal but it's partly their own fault they didn't have more left to squeeze. I'm slightly sympathetic to the fact we turned over so much of the roster at once because while the roster is always changing you normally don't lose 4-5 main guys all at once, but we will do something similar this offseason so hopefully they learned some valuable lessons.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hard to reign a guy in who is in year 6 of doing what he does

He also has a reputation among crews.  You see other fouls not upgraded, but it feels automatic with Brock, because they're looking for it. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He also has a reputation among crews.  You see other fouls not upgraded, but it feels automatic with Brock, because they're looking for it. 

He was probably fortunate he didn't get tossed on Saturday. But you are correct, there were 2-3 flagrant this year that would have been common fouls for any other player on the floor. 

15 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Mostly agree with all this.   Not sure he got the most out of the squad, though, given that Horton ended up with more minutes than Weaver.  It should have been 2:1 or 3:1 the other way.   And Brock's stupid flagrants needed to be reigned in.   There's no reason that shit had to go on for weeks.  The coach is supposed to impose some discipline.

Completely agree, but think it ultimately leads to the same outcome. 

It still would have been better for his development and next season in general 

42 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Whether you like the outcome of the season or not, like all coaches, Coach Terry was responsible for the squad assembled.

• Hook 'Em 5

I get the unpredictability with portal transfers.  The couch can account for everything in that respect.  Seasoned guys having meltdowns (like Hunter with the turnovers against Tennessee, and Max taking bad quick shots when he should know better) might also not be on the coach as much as we think.  However, substitutions patterns and line-ups is ALL on the coach in my opinion and their were times this year when Rodney did not have his best available 5 on the court when he needed them on the court.  Even the coach's favorites need to sit if they are doing crazy stuff, even if it's just long enough to relax and be reeducated on the gameplan.