2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

Need some interior OL help. We were down a ton of bodies there this season, but could not move anyone with a quality dline. Shaq Mason was solid, need another proven interior vet to go with the young guys. If we can get a run game going, even if it’s just “average” our offense will be top 5 in the league.

Need a player at safety, someone with speed and ball skills. Petrie isn’t it. Had two chances to make plays on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and could do either. He is one dimensional.

We need help at DT. Maybe someone like Murphy. We need an interior guy that can get pressure as our ends are going to cause so many step up’s.

Need an answer at RB to replace or go with Singletary. 

I would like to get some more speed at corner as well. We seemed slow on defense.

I have confidence we will get more folks willing to play with us on prove it deals just like this year but more and of higher quality. 

Finally a capable GM, paired with a competent and likable coach, with a franchise QB. The future is bright.

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 2

We have our two edges. We need to resign Greenard. 

Interior DL, Interior OL, DB (speed) are areas in need of upgrade.

That said if Keon Coleman is there at our pick in the 1st, I don’t know how you don’t take him.

Lets see how FA goes first and the. Use the draft to gain BPA.

Edited by Fico
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I would let Noah Brown go if he expects a big contract. He was injured throughout the season and is nothing special. His biggest games were due to Collins and Dell drawing the coverages. I would really like to add Mike Evans and Derrick Henry on some short term deals. Then focus the draft on a safety and interior lineman.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, RPM said:

They need OL help.

The OL is fine if it gets healthy. Should they upgrade where it makes sense if the opportunity comes along (if Mims falls to pick #23, for instance)? Sure, but as-is, it's probably fine

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard one talking heads discussion that Texans need a real number 1 WR, help at pass rusher, a physical RB, depth at DL/OL and to resign Shultz at a reasonable price.  

Collins was a real number one this year. On the open market, he'd get paid like a #1. Houston is going to have to pay up after next season if they want to keep him 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Texans' 2024 Free Agents, Targets and Draft Needs After NFL Playoff Loss

image.png.d9f3fd2481c18708ff21c71b0ddf6fea.png

KRISTOPHER KNOX         JAN 20th, 2024

The Houston Texans had one of the NFL's most unexpected rises in 2023. A team that won only three games a year ago finished with 10 victories, a division title and the franchise's first playoff berth since 2019.

A blowout win in the wild-card round even established Houston as a legitimate threat in the AFC.

The turnaround was a testament to the coaching of DeMeco Ryans and the stellar rookie season of quarterback C.J. Stroud. Houston appears poised to be an AFC South contender for the foreseeable future and possibly a title contender as early as next season.

Ryans and general manager Nick Caserio have a strong foundation with which to work. However, reloading and improving the roster won't happen without effort.

Now that Houston's playoff run has come to an end with a 34-10 divisional round loss to the Baltimore Ravens, let's dive into what lies ahead for the Texans in free agency and the draft.

Unrestricted Free Agents

S Adrian Amos

DE Derek Barnett

WR Noah Brown

CB Kris Boyd

K Ka'imi Fairbairn

OT George Fant

DT Jonathan Greenard

OT Charlie Heck

LB Neville Hewitt

DE Jerry Hughes

S Kareem Jackson

OT Josh Jones

S Eric Murray

CB Steven Nelson

RB Dare Ogunbowale

LB Denzel Perryman

OL Scott Quessenberry

DT Sheldon Rankins

DT Haasan Ridgeway

TE Dalton Schultz

RB Devin Singletary

DT Teair Tart

CB Tavierre Thomas

LS Jon Weeks

Restricted/Exclusive-Rights Free Agents

CB D'Angelo Ross

OL DJ Scaife

Houston had a brilliant plan for turning around the franchise's fortunes in a hurry. Caserio and Ryans focused on adding proven veteran talent in bulk, using short-term contracts to do it. While this quickly improved the roster, it potentially leaves Houston with a lot of moving pieces in 2024.

A number of key contributors—including running back Devin Singletary, right tackle Charlie Heck, receiver Noah Brown, kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn, defensive tackle Jonathan Greenard, linebacker Denzel Perryman, tight end Dalton Schultz and cornerback Steven Nelson—are slated to hit the open market in March.

The good news is that Houston is projected to have $74.1 million in cap space, meaning the team can likely keep the majority of its incumbent players.

Given the importance of maintaining offensive continuity around Stroud, players like Brown, Schultz and Singletary—who emerged as a quality starter down the stretch—could top the priority list.

Houston's favorable cap situation—not to mention having a franchise quarterback on a rookie deal—should allow the team to keep its core intact while adding new centerpieces through free agency and the draft.

Potential Free-Agent/Trade Targets

While the Texans wasted little time in their return to relevance, they're still in the early stages of a rebuild. This means that Caserio is likely to prioritize younger free agents who can become long-term contributors alongside Stroud, Tank Dell, Will Anderson Jr. and the rest of the team's budding stars.

An ascending cornerback like Jaylon Johnson or L'Jarius Sneed should be near the top of Houston's wish list. While the Texans' defense took major strides under Ryans this year, it still finished ranked just 27th in net yards per pass attempt allowed.

Young pass-rushers like Josh Uche and A.J. Epenesa should also be on Houston's radar. Anderson is a tremendous talent, but the defense could use long-term edge players to complement him.

Detroit Lions exclusive rights free agent James Houston—who was injured this season but logged eight sacks in 2022—is a particularly intriguing option.

It would behoove the Texans to add a premier offensive lineman, though the list of impending free agents is relatively underwhelming. A guard like Connor Williams or a right tackle like Jonah Williams could make sense, but Caserio may not be willing to overpay with the draft looming.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see the Texans further bolster their receiving corps, and there are some exciting options at the position. Receivers like Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Josh Reynolds and Michael Pittman Jr. could all be terrific complements to a group that already features Dell and Nico Collins.

If the Texans don't retain Schultz, tight ends like Hunter Henry and Harrison Bryant will likely garner consideration.

Houston has the cap and draft capital needed to be a major player on the trade market too. Expect players on expiring contracts or potential cap casualties to heavily interest the Texans in the early spring.

Players like Jerry Jeudy, Mike Williams, Khalil Mack, Carlton Davis and Charvarius Ward will be worth watching if they become available.

Draft Targets

While the Texans may look to add a rookie receiver to partner with Collins and Dell, they may bypass the position in the first round. The 2024 class is expected to be deep at the position, and quality receivers should be available on Day 2.

The Bleacher Report Scouting Department ranked 15 wide receivers inside its top 100 players on its latest draft board. A prospect like Georgia's Ladd McConkey or Texas' Adonai Mitchell would be a tremendous Day 2 target.

On opening night, the Texans should be more interested in a premier offensive lineman or a top-tier defensive player. A cornerback like Alabama's Kool-Aid McKinstry or a pass-rusher like Washington's Bralen Trice would make plenty of sense for Houston.

While the first round is viewed as high for an off-ball linebacker, a prospect like Clemson's Jeremiah Trotter Jr. could also make an immediate impact on the defense.

"He's pretty athletic and anticipates throws well by reading the quarterback's eyes, making him a good middle hook defender in zone coverage," Matt Holder of the B/R Scouting Department wrote of Trotter. "His athletic ability also helps him win as a pass-rusher, as he's been highly productive in that regard for an off-ball linebacker."

The Texans should continue targeting defensive depth later in the draft, with prospects like Kentucky corner Maxwell Hairston, Penn State linebacker Curtis Jacobs, Texas A&M defensive tackle Shemar Turner and Texas safety Jerrin Thompson all serving as viable Day 3 targets.

Running backs like Audric Estimé of Notre Dame and Kentucky's Ray Davis should also interest the Texans if Singletary departs.

Houston traded its first-round pick as part of the package to move up for Anderson in 2023. However, it still possesses the Cleveland Browns' top selection and seven total picks. Caserio should be able to target both high-end talent and a good volume of depth in April.

If last year's draft is an accurate indicator, we can probably expect the Texans to do their fair share of maneuvering throughout draft weekend.

*Cap, contract and free-agent status information via Spotrac. Draft order information via Tankathon.

Bullshit...  HaHa Jerrin Thompson as a target Day 3😋

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10103975-texans-2024-free-agents-targets-and-draft-needs-after-nfl-playoff-loss

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

People are sleeping on Nico. He's not Justin Jefferson or DeeDee Lamb, but he's a fine WR1. There are far more important areas to upgrade. 

He’s fine and assuming Dell comes back healthy he’s a weapon, but there’s a massive drop off beyond that. WR is definitely in need of at least one more quality piece, especially given the lack of a consistent running game…

• Hook 'Em 3

We have Nico for another year. Then we can worry about paying him. Assuming he doesn’t flame out next year the dude is going to get paid as a #1. If he produces again, we should be the team to pay and keep him.

We have pass rushers, assuming we sign/tag Greenard. 

We need DB help (speed), we need interior DT help, we need interior OL help (maybe OL health takes care of that), we need WR depth, and we need RB depth/speed.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texans' 2024 Free Agents, Targets and Draft Needs After NFL Playoff Loss

image.png.d9f3fd2481c18708ff21c71b0ddf6fea.png

KRISTOPHER KNOX         JAN 20th, 2024

Bullshit...  HaHa Jerrin Thompson as a target Day 3😋

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10103975-texans-2024-free-agents-targets-and-draft-needs-after-nfl-playoff-loss

defensive tackle Jonathan Greenard, stopped reading right there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fico said:

We have Nico for another year. Then we can worry about paying him. Assuming he doesn’t flame out next year the dude is going to get paid as a #1. If he produces again, we should be the team to pay and keep him.

We have pass rushers, assuming we sign/tag Greenard. 

We need DB help (speed), we need interior DT help, we need interior OL help (maybe OL health takes care of that), we need WR depth, and we need RB depth/speed.

It’s on him to show it next season

Regarding WR, I’m torn other than my opinion we shouldn’t pay Evans $20mm per, which is what it probably takes. That would be ~25-30% of our cap room before resigning any of our guys. But otherwise - on the one hand Stroud probably had the “it” factor to make any jabroni look pretty good, and we have Tank and Nico back. So maybe you get someone like Gabe Davis and call it a day. But on the other hand, if someone like Keon Coleman is sitting there at 23, it would be hard to pass. I think in a hypothetical choice of Coleman vs. DeJean or Kool-Aid, I’d have to go DB. Or interior DL or OL worthy of the pick. 

I suspect Caserio doesn’t want to spend big coin on WR this offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Regarding WR, I’m torn other than my opinion we shouldn’t pay Evans $20mm per, which is what it probably takes. That would be ~25-30% of our cap room before resigning any of our guys. But otherwise - on the one hand Stroud probably had the “it” factor to make any jabroni look pretty good, and we have Tank and Nico back. So maybe you get someone like Gabe Davis and call it a day. But on the other hand, if someone like Keon Coleman is sitting there at 23, it would be hard to pass. I think in a hypothetical choice of Coleman vs. DeJean or Kool-Aid, I’d have to go DB. Or interior DL or OL worthy of the pick. 

I suspect Caserio doesn’t want to spend big coin on WR this offseason. 

That’s my guess as well, which is why a Gabe Davis/Marquis Brown type makes more sense if we go the FA route. I just don’t want to keep putting CJ in the position of having to carry the whole load.

I’m a firm believer in BPA in the draft, especially in the first two rounds, but I’m really hoping the BPA in round 1 ends up being a DB (I really like DeJean but would but fine with any of 3-4 guys) or the DT from Illinois. I wouldn’t cry over Coleman but if it ended up being an offensive player I’d prefer them being on the line….

I really wouldn't mind if they went Kool Aid in the 1st round.  Demeco could have a lot of fun with two really good corners.  I'm still really excited about this team's future.  I have a feeling Bobby stays for another year, which I think is a good thing.  They can mix in some FA's here and there for depth and they can have a really clear draft strategy for late April. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Jesus, what a clown. 

Luck ( completion % of 54.1 and 3x as many picks) was throwing to guys like Reggie Wayne and TY Hilton. He also threw the ball 600 times...100 more attempts than Stroud.

Roethlisberger ( 1500 yards less passing and 2x as many picks) had Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward, Antwan Randle-El and Plaxico...not to mention one of, if not THE best defenses in the league.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I remember being something like 7 years old, reading the backs of baseball cards, and realizing that maybe pitcher wins was kind of a dumb stat. It seemed quite obvious that it is heavily impacted by events well outside the realm of a pitcher’s control. Again, I was 7.

Imagine being paid to cover pro football for decades and still believing that team wins is the stat that best indicates how well the QB played. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I remember being something like 7 years old, reading the backs of baseball cards, and realizing that maybe pitcher wins was kind of a dumb stat. It seemed quite obvious that it is heavily impacted by events well outside the realm of a pitcher’s control. Again, I was 7.

Imagine being paid to cover pro football for decades and still believing that team wins is the stat that best indicates how well the QB played. 

Well see that's an apples and oranges comparison and McLain has never eaten either in his life so yeah fuck him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Trashing the local super star qb seems like a dumb strategy 

Yeah pretty dumb

Looking at stats he’s been fucking great as a rookie. 

Watching the games he’s had one of the best rookie seasons for a QB all time. 

New head coach, no established identity on offense. Defense was middle of the pack. Offensive line was shaky and very injured all season. The team took on the personality of their leader - CJ. Not cocky, just confident and plays hard and smart. 

Dude is brave in the pocket, has good feel for it without taking his eyes away from downfield. He’s got great accuracy but doesn’t try to completely force things he just knows where to place the ball. 

His receivers stepped up big for him but part of that is them putting in work because it’s about trust that the guy is going to go get it. 

Maybe McClain is trying to keep expectations low I guess in case he has some sophomore struggles

Plenty of needs still but finally the team seems to be building a sustainable base that offers a likelihood of an upward trajectory.  Damn.  Writing that makes me feel like I personally may have jinxed the team.  Hopefully just Oiler PTSD!

I think if you get Stroud better protection, all receivers will see improved numbers.  So I am hoping a little more O-line help.  I know that it's not flashy, but better protection giving another 1/2 second for routes?  I think that could be a nice return on investment.  They definitely struggled versus Baltimore, so it's an area that could use some shoring up, if for no other reason than to allow dinged up guys to get some relief?  Strong arguments for CB, WR, DL as well.  We are pretty good one deep, not great, but pretty good.

Maybe we can work some free agency magic, and another year of draft magic to make 2024 another playoff year.  Just keep putting good peices into place and good things will happen with Demeco and Stroud I am truly starting to believe (despite my Oiler PTSD)

Just looked at one of the Longhorn draft rankings and interestingly enough Houston has the #59 pick, and T'Vondre is ranked as the #60 pick in this ranking.   I would love to get me some T'vondre Sweat on our DL, then Anderson could really feast.  It was interesting to me that they had Byron Murphy before Sweat in the rankings.  Anyhow I could see how maybe we might get some burnt orange blood for the Texans. I can always hope!

IMG_4923.jpeg

TEXAS LONGHORNS 2024 NFL DRAFT PLAYER RANKINGS

RANK PLAYER POS COLL WEIGHT HEIGHT 40YD AVG POS RANK AVG OVR RANK RATING SUMMARY
Adonai Mitchell Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Adonai
Mitchell

WR
Texas   Mascot
196lbs 6-4 4.50 9 43.8
Adonai Mitchell, Wide Receiver, Texas Adonai Mitchell's journey began at Cane Ridge High School, where he was rated a 3-star recr...
Byron Murphy II Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Byron
Murphy II

DL
Texas   Mascot
308lbs 6-1 5.05 9 52.6
Byron Murphy II from DeSoto High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high sc...
Xavier Worthy Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Xavier
Worthy

WR
Texas   Mascot
172lbs 6-1 4.29 6 34.6
Xavier Worthy from Central East High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high...
Ja'Tavion Sanders Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Ja'Tavion
Sanders

TE
Texas   Mascot
243lbs 6-4 4.56 3 57.5
Ja'Tavion Sanders from Ryan High School was rated a 5-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. After high sc...
T'Vondre Sweat Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

T'Vondre
Sweat

DL
Texas   Mascot
362lbs 6-4 5.05 14 62.1
T'Vondre Sweat from Huntsville High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high...
Jonathon Brooks Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Jonathon
Brooks

RB
Texas   Mascot
207lbs 6-0 4.45 5 69.4
Jonathon Brooks emerged from Hallettsville High School as a multi-faceted athlete, excelling in both football and basketball. In f...
Jaylan Ford Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Jaylan
Ford

LB
Texas   Mascot
242lbs 6-3 4.76 17 153.5
Jaylan Ford from Lone Star High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high sch...
Christian Jones Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Christian
Jones

OT
Texas   Mascot
321lbs 6-6 5.21 41 166
Christian Jones from Cy Woods High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following h...
Isaiah Neyor Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Isaiah
Neyor

WR
Texas   Mascot
215lbs 6-3 4.49 63 470.5
Isaiah Neyor from Lamar High School was rated a After high school, Neyor opted to join Wyoming.In 2019 as a freshman Neyor saw a...
Jordan Whittington Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Jordan
Whittington

WR
Texas   Mascot
204lbs 6-1 4.47 53 375.7
Jordan Whittington from Cuero High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high ...
Keilan Robinson Texas Thumbnail - NFLDraftBUZZ.com

Keilan
Robinson

RB
Texas   Mascot
188lbs 5-9 4.32 50 515.5
Keilan Robinson from St. John's High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following...