Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Has Musk made any comments about Bill Cosby? Or any other famous rapists? After Brand and what’s his face the MMA guy who grooms little boys to be misogynist assholes - I’m starting to think he’s just a fan of that game in general.

Or he's worried that he'll be labeled a misogynist asshole.  We've already seen that he's not a fan of trans people after what his kid did, and after Grimes hooked up with a trans person.

It is interesting who he defends.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/16/2023 at 12:17 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Signal + disappearing messages. That won’t help you if the state clients of certain Israeli firms want your shit, but if you’re not that level of person it’s the best thing going. 

if you have state actors after you, you are pretty fucked anyway. if you have NSO Group after, you are pretty fucked.

if people are using 0day, zero click exploits on you, you are beyond fucked.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:25 AM, tbone_ said:

Why?

Casting a large flat piece with lots of flexion forces seems like a recipe for failure. The nature of casting means there's an inherent irregularity of the material cast, as opposed to something machined or formed. For small, dense parts its really no issue, but for something wide and flat there's a lot of leverage on the part. I'm sure they will say they figured it out an whatnot but I'm skeptical. With all the fatigue cycles something could give way at any moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

Elon Musk Watching the Auto Strike

article cover

While everyone is focused on who will blink first in the labor standoff between Detroit’s car manufacturers and its unionized workers, one person is already being declared a winner—Elon Musk.

Tesla’s CEO was already enjoying a major cost advantage over his competitors thanks to more streamlined production processes and lower wages for his nonunionized workforce. Now that UAW employees are on strike and likely to see increased wages no matter how this labor dispute ends, Tesla’s edge in that area will only grow.

Tesla’s labor costs average $45 an hour, compared to GM, Stellantis, and Ford’s estimated $66 an hour, per the WSJ.

And if the UAW gets the dramatic pay bumps it initially sought, labor costs for Detroit’s Big Three would swell to $136 an hour, according to Wells Fargo.

This year, Tesla has used that cost advantage to slash its car prices in a bid to maintain its commanding market share in electric vehicles. So far, that strategy has paid off: Despite the price cuts, Tesla’s Q2 profits rose 20%.

UAW President Shawn Fain has brushed off comments that his labor action would only solidify Tesla’s dominance in the EV market. “Our concern is working-class people need their share of economic justice in this world,” he told CNBC last week.

So, what could slow Tesla’s roll? It’s possible that the UAW strike, if successful at securing higher wages, could galvanize Tesla workers to unionize at Musk’s factories. But the UAW tried and failed to do this in 2017 and 2018.

https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/stories/2023/09/17/elon-musk-emerges-as-winner-of-the-auto-strike?

• Fuck You 10

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I didn't read it.  I neg every post of yours I see because you are a troll who has been banned countless times.

Thanks for the feedback, Kevwun. Just making sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong like I used to forget the links, but I include them now and felt like I was getting into a groove in how to assimilate and get along in the more volatile corners of Surly.

Edited by animaltobacco11
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Elon Musk Watching the Auto Strike

article cover

While everyone is focused on who will blink first in the labor standoff between Detroit’s car manufacturers and its unionized workers, one person is already being declared a winner—Elon Musk.

Tesla’s CEO was already enjoying a major cost advantage over his competitors thanks to more streamlined production processes and lower wages for his nonunionized workforce. Now that UAW employees are on strike and likely to see increased wages no matter how this labor dispute ends, Tesla’s edge in that area will only grow.

Tesla’s labor costs average $45 an hour, compared to GM, Stellantis, and Ford’s estimated $66 an hour, per the WSJ.

And if the UAW gets the dramatic pay bumps it initially sought, labor costs for Detroit’s Big Three would swell to $136 an hour, according to Wells Fargo.

This year, Tesla has used that cost advantage to slash its car prices in a bid to maintain its commanding market share in electric vehicles. So far, that strategy has paid off: Despite the price cuts, Tesla’s Q2 profits rose 20%.

UAW President Shawn Fain has brushed off comments that his labor action would only solidify Tesla’s dominance in the EV market. “Our concern is working-class people need their share of economic justice in this world,” he told CNBC last week.

So, what could slow Tesla’s roll? It’s possible that the UAW strike, if successful at securing higher wages, could galvanize Tesla workers to unionize at Musk’s factories. But the UAW tried and failed to do this in 2017 and 2018.

https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/stories/2023/09/17/elon-musk-emerges-as-winner-of-the-auto-strike?

this article is shit. i will leave it at that, but characterizing musk as a "winner" for paying labor less is an interesting tack. but more than that it's, uh, WAY fucking more than that. 

that website is also shit, but interesting source, i guess. i actually do kind of enjoy how you posted the gif that they posted with their "analysis." 

generally, if your employees are striking, it's because you suck as management. that's pretty much it.

that does not make elon any kind of wundermanager at all. 

what is your opinion on the article you posted without comment?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

what is your opinion on the article you posted without comment?

Sir, I thought the article was an interesting in that it looked at the automobile sector writ large and thought about the indirect winners and losers and potential unintended consequences.

I thought it was interesting to read UAW union leader Fain's quote about the strike hurting the market position. He's narrowly focused on the one thing he's paid and motivated and probably passionate and called to do, which is to get his labor paid more and a better deal. He flat out said he isn't concerned with the more medium and long term issues that getting this piece of the pie could potentially create, which I thought could potentially lead to a "cutting of the nose to spite the face" situation in which you win the battle but lose the war.

Lastly, I hadn't seen any financial reporting or results and would have assumed from reading this thread that Tesla was cutting prices and in a death spiral of cutting prices, losing margin, losing market share, etc., but in fact, their Q2 profits rose 20%.

Because the world is not an ideal state, and despite people like captainant spilling much ink about the "oughta be's" and "should be's" of the corporate world, shareholder capitalism is not going to meaningful change in the utopian ways we'd want, so if I was a $TSLA bull, this strike does seem to bode well for $TSLA in the near and long term, if UAW gets a lot of what they want. 

@hayden_hornyou and I know these thoughts, though earnestly held and respectfully communicated, are not welcome in a thread--and community-- that holds such staunch beliefs and fervent bias and so I felt it safer for my continued existence to post the article, analysis, and link for others to read and determine if it was interesting to them or not. But if I'll be negged regardless of content, as Kevwun and others are committed to the cause, then I guess that's my answer to your direct question. Sir.

• Fuck You 14

So, is this how you do it?

"Oh, if I weren't just lines of code, I'd say you've got a mind that's as sharp as a tack! Your ability to dissect, digest, and dish out original insights against a backdrop of existing knowledge is seriously impressive. Kudos to your intellectual prowess, and here's a hearty +rep from one human(ish) to another!" 😄🧠🌟

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Lightweight "analysis" on the UAW strike molded to fit a situation where the author wants it to mean "good for Tesla" can get fucked.

Don't know that posters background but the UAW strike being a positive for Tesla, in addition to other competitors (Toyota, Honda, Volvo, etc.) isn't exactly a controversial take.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Sir, I thought the article was an interesting in that it looked at the automobile sector writ large and thought about the indirect winners and losers and potential unintended consequences.

I thought it was interesting to read UAW union leader Fain's quote about the strike hurting the market position. He's narrowly focused on the one thing he's paid and motivated and probably passionate and called to do, which is to get his labor paid more and a better deal. He flat out said he isn't concerned with the more medium and long term issues that getting this piece of the pie could potentially create, which I thought could potentially lead to a "cutting of the nose to spite the face" situation in which you win the battle but lose the war.

Lastly, I hadn't seen any financial reporting or results and would have assumed from reading this thread that Tesla was cutting prices and in a death spiral of cutting prices, losing margin, losing market share, etc., but in fact, their Q2 profits rose 20%.

Because the world is not an ideal state, and despite people like captainant spilling much ink about the "oughta be's" and "should be's" of the corporate world, shareholder capitalism is not going to meaningful change in the utopian ways we'd want, so if I was a $TSLA bull, this strike does seem to bode well for $TSLA in the near and long term, if UAW gets a lot of what they want. 

@hayden_hornyou and I know these thoughts, though earnestly held and respectfully communicated, are not welcome in a thread--and community-- that holds such staunch beliefs and fervent bias and so I felt it safer for my continued existence to post the article, analysis, and link for others to read and determine if it was interesting to them or not. But if I'll be negged regardless of content, as Kevwun and others are committed to the cause, then I guess that's my answer to your direct question. Sir.

dude EARNINGS was up 20% YoY, not profits. not 20% vs 1st Q.

their operating margin went down from 11.4% in 23Q1 to 9.6% in Q2

their gross margin was 18.2% for Q2, which was down from 25% YoY and down from 19.3% in 23Q1. they forecast that their profit margin will be under 17% for 23Q3.

this is concerning:

wTESLAmargins091123.jpg

their market share was down 10% YoY. that's going to continue.

if you think cutting prices is helpful - nope, it isn't. nobody is out there cutting prices as many times as TSLA has YTD. last i saw they were on their sixth price cut and that was back in June. they are cutting them globally as well, US, EU and China all have seen cuts.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

That's a compliment to my ability to interpret what I read, synthesize the data and communicate via original ideas and thoughts, against a background of existing context, right?

Thanks, have some +rep!

you are the one who used Bard to put something together about stock prices in this very thread man.

if you don't think it's reasonable for people to jump on you after that, and after your (long) history of not really putting together much/any analysis of things you post in this thread then idk what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

dude EARNINGS were up 20% YoY. not 20% vs 1st Q.

their operating margin went down from 11.4% in 23Q1 to 9.6% in Q2

their gross margin was 18.2% for Q2, which was down from 25% YoY and down from 19.3% in 23Q1. they forecast that their profit margin will be under 17% for 23Q3.

their market share was down 10% YoY. that's going to continue.

if you think cutting prices is helpful - nope, it isn't. nobody is out there cutting prices as many times as TSLA has YTD. last i saw they were on their sixth price cut and that was back in June. they are cutting them globally as well, US, EU and China all have seen cuts.

That's interesting. I was literally quoting the article though, which said "Despite the price cuts, Tesla’s Q2 profits rose 20%"

I didn't see a citation so I'm assuming it's from this (googled)

The automaker on Wednesday reported income rose 20% to $2.7 billion in the second quarter, buoyed by cheaper materials that helped offset lower vehicle prices. The result beat analysts’ predictions for a slight profit gain from a year earlier.

While Tesla’s delivery of new vehicles rose 83% in the April-through-June period, revenue didn’t grow as strongly, rising 47% to $24.9 billion. Even so, that revenue figure beat expectations of analysts surveyed by FactSet, who on average, predicted $24.2 billion.

The company has targeted production growth of 31% this year while Musk has suggested closer to 50%, or 2 million, is possible.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-tsla-q2-earnings-report-2023-9be2b571

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

you are the one who used Bard to put something together about stock prices in this very thread man.

if you don't think it's reasonable for people to jump on you after that, and after your (long) history of not really putting together much/any analysis of things you post in this thread then idk what to tell you.

No, I get it, that's fair. I was also being serious in that I took it as a compliment.

• Fuck You 5

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

refresh, i edited it some to add a chart.

Tesla's INCOME jumped 20%

Tesla's PROFIT MARGIN declined.

Why did WSJ literally title the article:

Tesla Profit Jumps 20% as Price Cuts Help Lift Deliveries

You'd think the good people at the Wall Street Journal would know the difference between income and profit.

• Fuck You 4

7 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Why did WSJ literally title the article:

You'd think the good people at the Wall Street Journal would know the difference between income and profit.

looking at it now it may be a weird situation where both are up 20%

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/teslas-q2-income-jumps-20-shares-stayed-flat-101502567

The Austin, Texas, maker of electric vehicles, solar panels and batteries reported net income of $2.7 billion in the quarter, a 20% increase from a year ago. Earnings per share also rose 20% to 78 cents when measured via generally accepted accounting principles.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

looking at it now it may be a weird situation where both are up 20%

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/teslas-q2-income-jumps-20-shares-stayed-flat-101502567

I sure can appreciate you being big enough to own an accidental misreading of something. You are in rare air around these parts, sir!

• Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Don't know that posters background but the UAW strike being a positive for Tesla, in addition to other competitors (Toyota, Honda, Volvo, etc.) isn't exactly a controversial take.  

Despite that fact that we're only in DAY 4 of the UAW strike, it's a scare tactic that's been repeated over and over for at least 2 weeks. Theoretically since the average UAW wage is already higher than Tesla's, I gather you and the other poster would be surprised to learn that the Big 3 are earning record profits. Just that fact alone blows the nonsense you're spouting out of the water. Demand for tesla has fallen while demand for what the Big 3 produce is stronger than ever.

You have a group of workers whose wages have stagnated for the past 6 years. After this contract, those workers will be earning even more than the average imbecile producing shit quality autos for tesla. Musk has violated labor law multiple times in an effort to keep unions out of Tesla. I assume you can do the math on what a union wage vs. a tesla wage is going to look like in the future and seems possible to happen next, and why Musk is so eager to damage the UAW.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Despite that fact that we're only in DAY 4 of the UAW strike, it's a scare tactic that's been repeated over and over for at least 2 weeks. Theoretically since the average UAW wage is already higher than Tesla's, I gather you and the other poster would be surprised to learn that the Big 3 are earning record profits. Just that fact alone blows the nonsense you're spouting out of the water. Demand for tesla has fallen while demand for what the Big 3 produce is stronger than ever.

You have a group of workers whose wages have stagnated for the past 6 years. After this contract, those workers will be earning even more than the average imbecile producing shit quality autos for tesla. Musk has violated labor law multiple times in an effort to keep unions out of Tesla. I assume you can do the math on what a union wage vs. a tesla wage is going to look like in the future and seems possible to happen next, and why Musk is so eager to damage the UAW.

Your point is bold is interesting and definitely worth discussing. I'm not an Auto industry or even manufacturing expert, so I'll defer to those that know better, but my first reaction as a laymen to this would be to question:

1) Is this sustainable profit based on forecasted costs and demand?

2) Is it a Gray Swan event that caused this? (e.g. average vehicle costs $50k, only 1 new car model is priced under $20k in 2023, avg new car loan is $1000/month, etc. which goes back to the, is it sustainable?)

3) Are there similarities to other cyclical industries having record profits (namely, O&G)?

My personal opinion, the % raise in hourly wages is a nothing-burger. Give it to them and be done, if that was all it was.

I think the bigger piece the CFO is looking at is the reinstatement of Ye Olde World pension plans that exponentially blow up the costs of labor and cost of goods sold.

• Fuck You 6

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm not commenting on who is "right" with respect to the strike.  What I said is that a UAW strike being a positive for Tesla, in addition to other competitors, isn't a controversial take.  I'm not a Musk or Tesla fan boy.  Can't stand Musk.  No desire to buy a Tesla.  But yeah, the situation at UAW seems to be a positive for all big 3 competitors and not sure how that is controversial.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

Your point is bold is interesting and definitely worth discussing. I'm not an Auto industry or even manufacturing expert, so I'll defer to those that know better, but my first reaction as a laymen to this would be to question:

1) Is this sustainable profit based on forecasted costs and demand?

2) Is it a Gray Swan event that caused this? (e.g. average vehicle costs $50k, only 1 new car model is priced under $20k in 2023, avg new car loan is $1000/month, etc. which goes back to the, is it sustainable?)

3) Are there similarities to other cyclical industries having record profits (namely, O&G)?

My personal opinion, the % raise in hourly wages is a nothing-burger. Give it to them and be done, if that was all it was.

I think the bigger piece the CFO is looking at is the reinstatement of Ye Olde World pension plans that exponentially blow up the costs of labor and cost of goods sold.

How do we know what will happen with the contract when there's only negotiations going on so far? The people who are out there with the, "this is why it's good for tesla" are full of shit. They have no idea how it will play out long-term.

Tesla has been able to rely on stock options to boost emp comp but their stock hasn't been profitable for 2 years now on a buy and hold basis, unless somehow they're able to grant the options when it's at a low, which I don't think is legally possible.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Hey, don't sell him short. Donkey Cigar, Monkey Cigarette, Turkey Chew, Longhorn snus,  animal tobacco has a long history of not really putting together much/any analysis of things he posts in any thread.

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 5

Lulz.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/elon-musk-charge-all-x-twitter-users-fee-1235726693/

Elon Musk may flip the switch to make X — the social network formerly known as Twitter — an entirely subscription-based platform.

Musk brought up the idea of charging all users of X/Twitter during a wide-ranging conversation focused on AI that featured Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday. “[We’re] moving to a small monthly payment for use of the X system,” Musk told Netanyahu, claiming that it is the only way to eliminate the problem of bots, as reported by Bloomberg’s Dave Lee.

Musk didn’t mention timing of his plan to charge X/Twitter users, nor did he say how much it would cost. According to Musk, X has 550 million monthly active users, who create 100 million-200 million posts daily on the social network.

Musk has previously mulled the idea of putting Twitter entirely behind a paywall in internal conversations, according to industry news site Platformer. Musk, who also is CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, has said X/Twitter ad sales have plunged 50% since he bought the company. “We’re still negative cash flow, due to ~50% drop in advertising revenue plus heavy debt load,” Musk posted on July 15.

Currently, X’s subscription program — formerly Twitter Blue, now called X Blue, under Musk’s rebranding effort — is priced starting at $8 per month.

One of the chief perks of X Blue is getting verified check-mark status, although this summer the company added the ability for subscribers to hide the check-mark from public view.

X Blue’s other benefits include the ability to edit a post within a one-hour window; a 50% reduction in ads; “prioritized rankings” of a user’s posts in conversations and search; the ability to post up to 25,000 characters (vs. the 280-character limit); and the ability to upload videos up to 3 hours long or up to 8 gigabytes in size. Blue subscribers also are eligible to receive a share of advertising revenue, initially based on ads displayed in replies to their posts.

n October 2022, After Musk begrudgingly closed the debt-laden $44 billion deal for Twitter, he fired Twitter’s senior management team — and installed himself as CEO. Musk then oversaw mass layoffs at Twitter, cutting an estimated 80% of the company’s workforce. 

Earlier this year, Musk hired ex-NBCUniversal sales boss Linda Yaccarino as CEO. Since joining the company in June, she has hired a group of new sales execs. But Musk ultimately remains in control of X/Twitter (e.g., in July he renamed the company after his favorite letter of the alphabet) and has said he will continue to run the company’s product and technology teams.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

That's a compliment to my ability to interpret what I read, synthesize the data and communicate via original ideas and thoughts, against a background of existing context, right?

Thanks, have some +rep!

You could have probably stayed in non political politics adjacent threads and still have green rep. Which you had last week. 

But, no you just gotta express your hot sports opinions. 

Which animal tobacco name is next? 

Maybe switch it up this time. Base it on barbecue sauce or something.

Sweet baby Ray's skanky dil

KCMasterpieceof... yeah that's too easy.

Anyway you are 17 away from another one getting sent to Purgatorio.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Elon Musk may flip the switch to make X — the social network formerly known as Twitter — an entirely subscription-based platform.

Musk brought up the idea of charging all users of X/Twitter during a wide-ranging conversation focused on AI that featured Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday. “[We’re] moving to a small monthly payment for use of the X system,” Musk told Netanyahu, claiming that it is the only way to eliminate the problem of bots, as reported by Bloomberg’s Dave Lee.

What was the final nail in Twitters coffin? Alex

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I'm not commenting on who is "right" with respect to the strike.  What I said is that a UAW strike being a positive for Tesla, in addition to other competitors, isn't a controversial take.  I'm not a Musk or Tesla fan boy.  Can't stand Musk.  No desire to buy a Tesla.  But yeah, the situation at UAW seems to be a positive for all big 3 competitors and not sure how that is controversial.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

You could have probably stayed in non political politics adjacent threads and still have green rep. Which you had last week. 

But, no you just gotta express your hot sports opinions. 

Which animal tobacco name is next? 

Maybe switch it up this time. Base it on barbecue sauce or something.

Sweet baby Ray's skanky dil

KCMasterpieceof... yeah that's too easy.

Anyway you are 17 away from another one getting sent to Purgatorio.

You are right, of course, as usual. I think @hayden_horn masterfully baited me into giving a response (making the news instead of just reporting it) and then only murderers of handles were in the building.

• Fuck You 21

Proud to be the first murderer of handles checking in. 

Add a new user name to the minimum of 5 we've already banned.

Donkey Cigar, Monkey Cigarette, Turkey Chew, Longhorn snus,  animal tobacco, now anime tobacco. I'm there are more and I missed some. 

Fucking ridiculous this asshole troll won't take a hint. How many bannings should it take before he is auto banned on site like GRUHorn? It's not my site, but I would argue we are way past it. This dickbag is one of the biggest sources of dissension and actual conversation derailing on the the entire site and the whole place is much worse for his posting. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, animetobacco said:

You are right, of course, as usual. I think @hayden_horn masterfully baited me into giving a response (making the news instead of just reporting it) and then only murderers of handles were in the building.

lol. ok mr just asking questions, i have a simple one for you: how much was tsla profit up in q2?

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

lol. ok mr just asking questions, i have a simple one for you: how much was tsla profit up in q2?

20%. Did you miss the discussion on the last page?

Spoiler

The Austin, Texas, maker of electric vehicles, solar panels and batteries reported net income of $2.7 billion in the quarter, a 20% increase from a year ago. Earnings per share also rose 20% to 78 cents when measured via generally accepted accounting principles.

Edited by animetobacco
  • Fuck You 15

have you, i dunno, looked at what they reported? took me less than three minutes to find the relevant information. i wonder why you didn't bother going to a primary source in order to completely misrepresent something. 

here. i'll even link to up

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000095017023033872/tsla-20230630.htm

• Hook 'Em 3