2024 NFL free agency/off season thread

closetohumping

No one is committed to Cousins for the next 4 years. He basically signed a 2 year, $90 million deal with the Falcons. I doubt the Vikings get anywhere near his level of play at the QB situation the next 2 years. 

Well it said 4, must be front loaded.

That’s fine. He’s good enough to keep us out of good picks, bad enough to keep us from making any post season noise.

Worst place in sports is mediocrity which is Kirk’s middle name

New RB homes:
🏈Derrick Henry, Ravens
🏈Aaron Jones, Vikings
🏈Joe Mixon, Texans
🏈Zach Moss, Bengals
🏈Saquon Barkley: Eagles
🏈Josh Jacobs: Packers
🏈Austin Ekeler: Commanders
🏈Tony Pollard: Titans
🏈D’Andre Swift: Bears
🏈Devin Singletary: Giants
🏈Gus Edwards: Chargers
🏈Antonio Gibson: Patriots

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  End of an era 

This has been obvious since at least back when Dallas took Zeke at 4.

14 hours ago, The Dog said:

Surprised that Fields hasn't been traded yet.

Nobody wants him.

Not a big fan of Fields, but I would take a chance on him if I were the Raiders or Denver 

Bringing the Cousins talk over from the draft thread:

Cousins is making the 8th most APY of all NFL QBs (tied with Mahomes): https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

The guys making less who are better QBs are either on a team-friendly deal (Mahomes) or longer-term deals that were signed a few years ago. Goff is in line for an extension and a big raise. 

So considering he's a top 15 QB and there was a bidding war for him his deal seems more than fair. 

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

NFL contracts are all about the guaranteed money. 

Hope this doesn't become the NBA.  

For Cousins, he was considered a mediocre qb before he got injured.  Now he's fucking Johnny Unitas.  I know, his numbers are good but meh

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hope this doesn't become the NBA.  

For Cousins, he was considered a mediocre qb before he got injured.  Now he's fucking Johnny Unitas.  I know, his numbers are good but meh

JFC, man. Get a grip. The NFL couldn’t be farther from the NBA contract-wise, and Cousins has always been an above average QB. He’s being paid what an above average QB gets paid when they hit the market unrestricted. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

For Cousins, he was considered a mediocre qb before he got injured.  

I would not call him a "mediocre" QB in the years prior to his injury (2018-2022).  Rather, he was a good, not great, overall QB.  He was probably a top 10 QB in some (if not all) of those years, but not top 5 and not elite.  He can't carry a team like Mahomes, Lamar, etc.  And that will always be the albatross around his neck.  

But when you're being voted by your peers to the top 100 pretty much every year, throwing for 4,000+ each season, and throwing 150+ TD passes in five seasons (several of which involved pretty shaky O-lines), you're not mediocre.     

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Longhorn Legend and 4(?)-time "commitment" maker Jordan Elliott is going to the Niners.  I can't wait to hear him tell Lynch and Shanahan that he wants to portal out.

Fuck that guy...but also lol

image.thumb.png.bc350ad0e0e4d2cccc6668852d99b8c6.png

• Hook 'Em 2

I would not call him a "mediocre" QB in the years prior to his injury (2018-2022).  Rather, he was a good, not great, overall QB.  He was probably a top 10 QB in some (if not all) of those years, but not top 5 and not elite.  He can't carry a team like Mahomes, Lamar, etc.  And that will always be the albatross around his neck.  
But when you're being voted by your peers to the top 100 pretty much every year, throwing for 4,000+ each season, and throwing 150+ TD passes in five seasons (several of which involved pretty shaky O-lines), you're not mediocre.     

Cousins and Dak are similar beings. Capable of big numbers, team leader, but both collapse in big games.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Skins have 6 of the first 100 picks …

•1st - 2

•2d - 36 and 49

•3d - 67, 78, and 100

Plus, the contract clock starts over for a rookie QB.  Sam will be on year 3 in Seattle.

This is an odd trade unless the Seahawks aren’t sure about Geno and would like to see if Howell can do something when he’s not running for his life. 

Backups don’t cost you a 3rd rounder.

Vikings and Texans w/ pick swaps will make for some intrigue. Houston sends 23rd and 232nd picks to MN for the 42nd and 188th plus a second-rounder in '25. Minny armed with the #11 and #23 definitely looks like they're perched to move inside the top 3-5 for a QB.

20 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

odd trade unless Seahawks aren’t sure about Geno and like to see if Howell can do something when he’s not running for his life.  Backups don’t cost a 3rd rounder.

Doesn't appear to be 3rd Rd pick value given up for Howell by Seahawks.  Just a couple pick swaps.

Screenshot_2024-03-15-18-53-39_kindlephoto-3190910.png.5bea62b9af234d786f79b5fed646e0b5.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of QB movement.  Where will Justin Fields end up??  Some possibilities that I've heard discussed:

• Steelers
  • Giants
  • 49ers
  • Bears keep him for a little while??

Any other teams ???

They got Justin Fields...

image.png.79e48f31b844c7fd806998b4f0e6d63b.png

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-reportedly-trade-justin-fields-to-steelers-clearing-the-way-for-likely-no-1-pick-qb-caleb-williams-224130172.html

Edited by LTtxfan
Sorry Michael Knight beat me to it

I don’t get trading Fields for a 6th. He’s a cheap veteran and now you have to just sign a Tannehill/Wentz type for more money than Fields was set to make. The Bears should have just kept him and released him next year if a 6th round pick is all you get. Kudos to the Steelers for improving the QB position by investing nearly nothing. 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:12 PM, westexhorn said:

Hollywood Brown to the Chiefs.  They may not draft a WR in the 1st round anymore.

Need a Tackle