2024 NFL free agency/off season thread

closetohumping

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thank you chicago. Was thinking an offense of Fields, swift, kmet, moore, Allen and Harrison Jr would’ve been tough to stops

Now it’s no Harrison Jr and a rookie QB

Eh, wide receivers are a dime a dozen, right?

Edited by Ignatius

13 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Thank you chicago. Was thinking an offense of Fields, swift, kmet, moore, Allen and Harrison Jr would’ve been tough to stops

Now it’s no Harrison Jr and a rookie QB

So you’re feeling good about Sam Darnold and whatever QB the Vikings end up drafting?

40 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Great situation to be in IMO.  Two QBs with similar skill sets(?) and potential upside that cost them next to nothing.  Two chances to resurrect careers, if neither works out they can walk away quickly and start over with a rebuild.   

Updated Top 51 Cap Space

1. WSH, $63M
2. NE, $58M
3. TEN, $55M
4. PHI, $39M
5. CHI, $31.7M
6. DET, $31M
7. ARZ, $30M
8. CIN, $29.6M
9. LV, $29.5M
10. LAC, $29.1M
11. GB, $25M
12. LAR, $23.7M
13. IND, $23.2M
14. DEN, $21M
15. MIN, $19.3M
16. SEA, $19.2M
17. CAR, $19.1M
18. HOU, $19M
19. SF, $17.4M
20. BUF, $17.2M
21. NO, $16M
22. KC, $15.8M
23. JAX, $15M
24. BAL, $14M
25. PIT, $12M
26. NYG, $11M
27. CLE, $8.2M
28. TB, $8M
29. NYJ, $7.9M
30. MIA, $5M
31. ATL, $4.3M
32. DAL, $4M

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, The Dog said:

May 2nd is deadline to exercise 5th year option.  The $25mill amount for Fields is just too much money for Steelers to exercise it...

Justin Fields Contract Info

Screenshot_20240317-105026_kindlephoto-4750381.thumb.png.8a113a6e8a1d7f6340b232666a4afea4.png

Maybe the Steelers decide to rework Fields current 1yr deal and add another year ??   

Fields current remaining 1yr contract is only for $3.2mill.

• Like 1

The NFL's competition committee proposed a revamped kickoff Wednesday that resembles the alignment used in the XFL during its 2020 and 2023 seasons, one of a series of high-profile changes owners will consider next week at their annual league meeting.

The committee also offered a rule that would prohibit the hip-drop tackling technique.

The kickoff proposal would be the most significant on-field rule change for the NFL in years and is designed to reverse more than a decade of declining return rates while also lowering concussion rates. In essence, the committee's proposal would move the majority of the kicking and return teams downfield to minimize high-speed collisions. If approved by at least 24 of 32 owners, the rule would go into effect for one year only.

The kicker would continue to kick from the 35-yard line, but the other 10 players would line up at the receiving team's 40-yard line. At least nine members of the return team would line up in a "setup zone" between the 35- and 30-yard line. Up to two returners can line up in a "landing zone" between the goal line and the 20-yard line. No one other than the kicker and returner(s) can move until the ball hits the ground or a player inside the landing zone. Touchbacks would be marked at the 35-yard line, and no fair catches would be allowed.

In the event a team wants to attempt an onside kick, it would have to inform officials of its intent and would then be allowed to use the NFL's traditional formation. No surprise onside kicks would be allowed.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39771673/nfl-owners-consider-kickoff-change-hip-drop-tackle-ban

Touchbacks go to the 35? Jesus, we’re almost at one first down to get into field goal range!

Their belief is that this will encourage more returns with fewer injuries. It’s in the XFL if you want to see it. Frankly I like it. Kickoffs are such a waste of time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Onside kicks are an awesome part of football, and they already hamstrung it by forcing half the kicking team players to line up on each side of the kicker. This proposal eliminates the possibility of a surprise onside. I would be open to a safer set up like they discussed with b both teams lined up farther down field, but they should get creative and work a way to do onside kicks into it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Actually this is a good thing to eliminate like horse collars and crackback blocks. The issue is how do you officiate it.

I don't follow... both crackback blocks and horse collar tackles are already penalties ???

On 3/19/2024 at 2:12 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

1/up to $15M for Mike Williams to Jets.

Good luck. 

A damn fine wide receiver, and one of the best jump ball guys in the league. Unfortunately he has complete disregard for his body and will accept death as long as he catches the ball. 

• Like 1

Onside kicks are an awesome part of football, and they already hamstrung it by forcing half the kicking team players to line up on each side of the kicker. This proposal eliminates the possibility of a surprise onside. I would be open to a safer set up like they discussed with b both teams lined up farther down field, but they should get creative and work a way to do onside kicks into it. 

The current rules make an onside kick practically impossible. No unbalanced sides, can’t move until kicked, etc. they are a near zero odds proposition.

I don’t like this new rule either as it’s just a declaration that we’re doing an inside the current way. I prefer a play from scrimmage from the 35, 4th and 15, and run it.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:16 PM, Texzilla588 said:

Their belief is that this will encourage more returns with fewer injuries. It’s in the XFL if you want to see it. Frankly I like it. Kickoffs are such a waste of time.

Yup, XFL return rate was 90%, NFL was 22%. This will mean way more returns. I like it. I also like changing tackling techniques for fewer injuries. I do think at some point defenses should be given some additional advantages since the tackling changes have limited defense. I’d allow dbs more ability to touch and slow down the wide receivers. It might also reduce receivers getting blown up across the middle and encourage more emphasis in running games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39812700/nfl-owners-approve-massive-revamp-kickoff-play

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yup, XFL return rate was 90%, NFL was 22%. This will mean way more returns. I like it. I also like changing tackling techniques for fewer injuries. I do think at some point defenses should be given some additional advantages since the tackling changes have limited defense. I’d allow dbs more ability to touch and slow down the wide receivers. It might also reduce receivers getting blown up across the middle and encourage more emphasis in running games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39812700/nfl-owners-approve-massive-revamp-kickoff-play

XFL kickoff returns are elite.....so glad they made this change. kickoffs were such a pointless event now with the touchbacks.

get ready for every drive to start at the 35. 

NFL head coaches are so risk averse and resistant to change that they'll just give teams the additional 15 yards. 

remember the NFL moved the XP line back for kicks to encourage teams to go for 2. so of course NFL head coaches kept kicking instead. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

NFL head coaches are so risk averse and resistant to change that they'll just give teams the additional 15 yards. 

remember the NFL moved the XP line back for kicks to encourage teams to go for 2. so of course NFL head coaches kept kicking instead. 

That would be giving up field posiiton....

IMO the most strategic thing would be to kick the ball as high as possible and pin within the 20

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That would be giving up field posiiton....

IMO the most strategic thing would be to kick the ball as high as possible and pin within the 20

it's lowest risk with a guaranteed outcome. it's why teams kept kicking the ball out of the end zone in the first place. 

also, teams would have to allocate practice time to prepare to do that. you only have to practice returns in the event a team actually kicks to you. 

Much easier to just gameplan to defend from the 30 every time. 

However, if a team were to try to maximize field position the best option IMHO is get good enough at squib kicks that they roll into the end zone away from the returner. Since there are no touchbacks the returner has to bring it out or else it's a safety. That would be the most aggressive play. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

2 point conversions have gone up.

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hassan reddick to the jets for a third

If jets only get 1 year out of Reddick, that's kinda expensive.

The Jets are sending a conditional 2026 third-round pick for Reddick, but can change if he has 67.5% playtime and at least 10 sacks, Rapoport added. New York will take on $14.5 million of Reddick's total compensation for 2024 (the final year of his existing contract) while the Eagles account for Reddick's $1 million roster bonus that was due earlier in March, per NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo.