Who is winning the great $9.95 Longhorn streaming wars?

SimkinsMan

I'm 34 so I guess that makes me a mid gen millennial, but I fucking hate video content. It is always information that could be easily presented in text form in just a few sentences or a paragraph or two, that manages to get stretched into 10 to 20 minute videos. Then again I also hate social media and only have a presence on Twitter for the shitposting. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Bevoball said:

I'm 34 so I guess that makes me a mid gen millennial, but I fucking hate video content. It is always information that could be easily presented in text form in just a few sentences or a paragraph or two, that manages to get stretched into 10 to 20 minute videos. Then again I also hate social media and only have a presence on Twitter for the shitposting. 

Look at the big brain on you. I bet you read actual reports and documentation relevant to making decisions for your job instead of just looking at a PowerPoint with charts going up and to the right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevoball said:

Nah its more because i have the attention span of a squirrel on coke. I work for the state and when i get an email thats more than 2 paragraphs  I only skim through it.

This was actually a compliment lol 

• Haha 2

This morning, running errands, I decided the OTF podcast, where Bobby Burton interviews a leader of TexasOne Fund would be the thing to listen to. WOW! It was so impressive!

For comparison, a couple of months ago, I listened to an OU ON3 75 minute podcast interview with the director of the OU collective. It was almost exclusively talk dealing with issues of having enough money, what’s required to be competitive in recruiting, whether the money is apportioned efficiently, how they determine players’ values, and so on. In comparison to TexasOne, it was just so…crass. 

The OTF podcast explains the exposure the athletes get to mentors, to community charities (and the other community leaders that help with charities), regular education in financial literacy, and so on. 

Night and day difference. We can be proud of how our donations are used. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Shit, I remember when Jabba said "Brennan Thompson should have been a 5 star". I was like, k. He's literally too retarded to function and complete a rational thought. 

Brennan or Kerch? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Shit, I remember when Jabba said "Brennan Thompson should have been a 5 star". I was like, k. He's literally too retarded to function and complete a rational thought. 

Don't remember that, but I do remember him saying Pettaway was a clear 5 star for him.. Sounds like he is just getting passed up the chart at ou now

22 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Don't remember that, but I do remember him saying Pettaway was a clear 5 star for him.. Sounds like he is just getting passed up the chart at ou now

Oh yeah, he absolutely said it. I'll never forget it. Dude went full regard, as per the norm. I was like, yep, that's all I need to hear

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 10:37 AM, BobbyB said:

I just read this whole thread, so I wanted to jump in here.

First of all, I appreciate everyone's opinion. And more specifically I agree with some folks here about certain issues.

I want everyone to know that we don't think or expect the OTF message board to be for everyone. In fact, we know it won't be. It's simply not what we're attempting to do.

There are already places where people are comfortable and where they enjoy being.

SurlyHorns is a perfect example of this. Folks enjoy this place. Clearly. Hell, I enjoy it when I come over here, that's one of the reasons I first reached out to Rick, so I totally get it.

The second part is really important to me and why we manage the OTF message board the way we do in comparison to other "premium" sites...

When I say dozens of recruits, parents of recruits, and parents of existing players on the team watch or listen to OTF daily, it is a very real thing.

I think every single recruit who committed to Texas last year - all of them - knows and has watched OTF. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying it because that specific viewership brings a certain level of responsibility to OTF as it relates to the university on the whole.

In my opinion, it's important to have a place like the OTF message boards and a site like OTF to be relatively clean. Not without opinion mind you, but certainly one that would not shock the system of newcomers either.

I feel like OTF does a really good job of holding up that end of the bargain, and we will continue to do so.

The third thing is this:

While Surly is primarily a message board/community. OTF is primarily a news service with a community attached.

OTF is much more like Orangebloods, Inside Texas or Horns247.

Each of those sites, I have found through the years, gets extremely provincial. They don't like it when another site is referenced or they get petty about their own reporting, etc.

I've been doing this stuff for 30 years and I'm just done with that.

I also know that some parents of recruits sometimes subscribe to those sites, visit the message boards, and they see a bunch of in-fighting, followed by nudie pics, name calling, or cliques that live to make fun of others, and the parents immediately think to themselves, what the hell is going on at Texas?

Is that's what's best for Texas?

So for me, this is NOT about OTF vs OB. Or OTF vs IT.

This is really about Texas vs the rest of college football/college sports. And that's what I want the focus of OTF to be about.

We appreciate everyone who has joined OTF. We're doing our best to bring you news whether it's via video/podcast or the website and I think we're doing it in a way that is best for all involved. It won't be for everyone and we get that.

I just appreciate the folks who have given us a chance and who continue to support what we're trying to do.

Thanks, Bobby

ear-muffs-old-school.gif

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

I also know that some parents of recruits sometimes subscribe to those sites, visit the message boards, and they see a bunch of in-fighting, followed by nudie pics, name calling, or cliques that live to make fun of others, and the parents immediately think to themselves, what the hell is going on at Texas?

Is that's what's best for Texas?

Damn, there are Texas boards like that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Damn, there are Texas boards like that?

I mean if the basketball recruits and parents clicked in to the Texas basketball threads here they'd see a bunch of numbnuts ganging up on a mentally handicapped dude. 

Maybe that's why we suck

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I mean if the basketball recruits and parents clicked in to the Texas basketball threads here they'd see a bunch of numbnuts ganging up on a mentally handicapped dude. 

Maybe that's why we suck

Sounds like every NBA discussion I've had the misfortune to listen to

41 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Maybe that's why we suck

oh yeah.. it's a complete 180 from KU basketball message boards where they uplift the players and coaches..even in defeat ...

• Haha 2

Ok, which one of you is posting over on OTF as Robert Gilbert? He's hilarious. I particularly enjoyed his instructional speech to everyone about how a walk-on RB probably won't be a major contributor. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ok, which one of you is posting over on OTF as Robert Gilbert? He's hilarious. I particularly enjoyed his instructional speech to everyone about how a walk-on RB probably won't be a major contributor. 

I stand by MY ENTIRE STATEMENT.

• Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...