2024 NCAA Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Games

LTtxfan

• LTtxfan changed the title to NCAA Men's Sweet 16, Thurs/Fri March 28th/29th

Did I see that Duke has not beaten a team seeded higher than they since 1994? I reckon a lot of that is because they have been pretty highly seeded in most tournaments as well.

There are some really nice matchups this week. I don’t think I can say right away which game is most interesting to me.

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Did I see that Duke has not beaten a team seeded higher than they since 1994? I reckon a lot of that is because they have been pretty highly seeded in most tournaments as well.

Correct. It’s only been 5 times though - 03, 13, 16, 18, 2023. Every year but 2023 was against a 1 or 2 seed. 2023 was 4 seeded Tennessee 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho changed the title to 2024 NCAA Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Games
  • Pancho pinned this topic

Sweet 16 Number of Teams per Conference 

• ACC          4    UNC, Duke, Clemson, NCSt
  • Big East    3    UConn, Marq, Creighton
  • B12            2    Houston, Iowa State
  • B10            2    Purdue, Illinois
  • SEC           2    Tenn, Bama
  • PAC           1      Arizona
  • Mt West    1      San Diego State
  • WCC          1      Gonzaga

21 hours ago, MrX said:

When was the last time all 1 and 2 seeds made the Sweet Sixteen?  Maybe it happens often but I’m curious. 

Per Google, 2019. But it's only happened five times now: '89, '95, '09, '19, '24.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

The tip times for these games are fucking wack. 

Feels like they got them all mixed up.  Should have flipped the times in Los Angeles and Detroit. 

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

They did the same to us in Pittsburgh last weekend. We had the latest game Saturday night.

Saved the best for last with both games going into OT( 3- OTs total). 

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

The tip times for these games are fucking wack. 

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

They did the same to us in Pittsburgh last weekend. We had the latest game Saturday night.

Just the NCAA doing stupid things, no idea why CBS (and friends) allow this rounds games to only occupy 2 timeslots when they could start the early game 2 hours earlier and push the late games 1/2 back and they'd have a solid 7= hour block of time to sell advertinsing. Maybe they all decided that they were making enough money off the tournament
(lol - now that last statement is crazy)

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I hate that they are not all day. One at a time. Fuck this staggering shit in the Sweet 16.

Today is fucking Christmas Day as it is.  Regionals and MLB opening day.

And I've already dragged out the backup TV and have the D2 Final Four and NCAA hockey regionals on right now. 

And I can't believe no D1 school has hired Nova Southeastern's coach: https://nsusharks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jim-crutchfield/3174

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And I've already dragged out the backup TV and have the D2 Final Four and NCAA hockey regionals on right now. 

And I can't believe no D1 school has hired Nova Southeastern's coach: https://nsusharks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jim-crutchfield/3174

TV, laptop and two tablets running.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

+ Houston Open and for some of us Northern types the first round of the Frozen Four (aka NCAA Hockey playoffs https://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/icehockey-men/d1

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

I hate that they are not all day. One at a time. Fuck this staggering shit in the Sweet 16.

Not sure if the networks and CBB decision makers want Sweet 16 games starting at 11am on weekdays. I would love it but understand why it will never happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not sure if the networks and CBB decision makers want Sweet 16 games starting at 11am on weekdays. I would love it but understand why it will never happen. 

The women’s Friday Sweet 16 day goes 1:30, 4, 6:30, 9. Much more preferable than the men’s schedule 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Too much money spent by the networks to not have the men’s tournament in prime time. 

Well I’d say ask the players if they want to tip off after 10pm eastern time, but the networks don’t care 

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

lol @ all these empty seats. Where are the Arizona fans?

I mean to be fair, the empty seats you’re seeing are just the Nawf Coarlina fans who haven’t arrived yet since the lower bowl is divided into quadrants for the fans. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I mean to be fair, the empty seats you’re seeing are just the Nawf Coarlina fans who haven’t arrived yet since the lower bowl is divided into quadrants for the fans. 

Ah, ok. I never knew they did it that way. And I've actually been to a game at this arena. Saw that Michigan/A&M nut dragging back in '18 lol

• Pancho unpinned this topic