Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Say what you want about the move to the AL, but playing in the AL West has been a godsend for the last 10 years.

Vs the NL central, had we stayed there?

Now if they moved Arizona or Colorado to the AL like they should have and put us in the NL west, the Dodgers would be a problem.  But the pennant races the last 10 years would've been a blast and well worth it imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You aren't supposed to have rosin on your glove on non-throwing hand and you can't mix it with anything, so he's fucked regardless.

Just a fucking idiotic rule.

Either allow rosin, or don't. IDGAF. But allowing it on the pitching hand while it's illegal on the glove hand is straight up lunacy. And it's enforced based on the umpire sticking his finger in a glove and judging between 'not sticky, a little sticky, sticky, stickier, real got-damn sticky, and the stickiest I evarrr seen'. Very scientific. It was stupid when others got caught, and it's stupid now. Fucking MLB brass could fuck up a wet dream.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I agree on the uneven enforcement being a problem.  But baseball players love to find ways around the rules and they would most assuredly use rosin mixed with things inside their glove if it wasn't against the rules.

Just now, kevwun said:

I agree on the uneven enforcement being a problem.  But baseball players love to find ways around the rules and they would most assuredly use rosin mixed with things inside their glove if it wasn't against the rules.

Then ban it all. This is stupid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Just a fucking idiotic rule.

Either allow rosin, or don't. IDGAF. But allowing it on the pitching hand while it's illegal on the glove hand is straight up lunacy. And it's enforced based on the umpire sticking his finger in a glove and judging between 'not sticky, a little sticky, sticky, stickier, real got-damn sticky, and the stickiest I evarrr seen'. Very scientific. It was stupid when others got caught, and it's stupid now. Fucking MLB brass could fuck up a wet dream.

What’s also stupid is….not following the damned rules. 

it’s not that damn hard to not put rosin on your glove hand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a legit need for rosin though which leads to the problems coming up with rules governing it's use.  Also, lets be honest, Ronel Blanco came out of nowhere this year and sweat mixed with rosin was probably playing a rather large part in it.

Edited by kevwun

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

What’s also stupid is….not following the damned rules. 

it’s not that damn hard to not put rosin on your glove hand.

I agree it's not hard and I'm not arguing against the suspension, since that's the rule. I'm arguing against a stupid rule and its half-assed detection and enforcement.

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There is a legit need for rosin though which leads to the problems coming up with rules governing it's use.  Also, lets be honest, Ronel Blanco came out of nowhere this year and sweat mixed with rosin was probably playing a rather large part in it.

It could have played a role, or maybe it didn't. His changeup usage has gone up dramatically, and apparently it was already a great pitch last year. And I don't buy the idea that you have to let 'em have rosin out there. Just simplify everything. Ban it all. They'll figure it out, and then the umps and league don't have to do the "Is your pitching hand or glove too sticky" dance. If anything is sticky, they sit down. No handwashing bs, etc.

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)

Give 'em a towel or some kinda chamois-ish material.  They'll figure it out.

Or ban it all and  go to a tacky ball like they've been talking about.

Edited by wood

5 hours ago, WBT said:

Vs the NL central, had we stayed there?

Now if they moved Arizona or Colorado to the AL like they should have and put us in the NL west, the Dodgers would be a problem.  But the pennant races the last 10 years would've been a blast and well worth it imo.

How about leaving us in the NL Central and tossing the Brewers back to the AL since they had nearly 30 years there? That pushes KC from the AL Central to the AL West.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, huge said:

Can anyone tell me why they broke protocol and searched before the 4th after searching after the previous innings?

There’s little doubt in my mind that the search was a request from Kotsay. 

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

There’s little doubt in my mind that the search was a request from Kotsay. 

Right that is my thought but I have not heard anything reported as to the details.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wood said:

I agree it's not hard and I'm not arguing against the suspension, since that's the rule. I'm arguing against a stupid rule and its half-assed detection and enforcement.

It could have played a role, or maybe it didn't. His changeup usage has gone up dramatically, and apparently it was already a great pitch last year. And I don't buy the idea that you have to let 'em have rosin out there. Just simplify everything. Ban it all. They'll figure it out, and then the umps and league don't have to do the "Is your pitching hand or glove too sticky" dance. If anything is sticky, they sit down. No handwashing bs, etc.

With respect, that tells me you never pitched at a serious level.  You absolutely need something, and I think lack of sticky stuff is a much bigger reasons for arms falling off than clocks.  It's the second biggest reason to me besides "just throw as hard as you can every pitch" which is admittedly even bigger.  But guys haven't to slam the ball deeper in their hands to get grips is causing massive strain on elbows and forearms.  

They need sticky stuff, and it's pretty easy to accidentally get from one hand to the other and into the glove.  If you have it on one hand and rub up a ball now you have it on both.  It's an idiotic rule.  Sadly it's a rule because guys like to use stickier stuff to make the ball dance.  

Edited by uoftorange
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

With respect, that tells me you never pitched at a serious level.  You absolutely need something, and I think lack of sticky stuff is a much bigger reasons for arms falling off than clocks.  It's the second biggest reason to me besides "just throw as hard as you can every pitch" which is admittedly even bigger.  But guys haven't to slam the ball deeper in their hands to get grips is causing massive strain on elbows and forearms.  

They need sticky stuff, and it's pretty easy to accidentally get from one hand to the other and into the glove.  If you have it on one hand and rub up a ball now you have it on both.  It's an idiotic rule.  Sadly it's a rule because guys like to use stickier stuff to make the ball dance.  

Nah, HS is as far as I got, and I'm only half serious with the 'ban it all' thing. Like you say, it's a stupid rule that's impossible for the pitchers to avoid completely, and it's being enforced very subjectively and not consistently afaik. I'd have zero problem if they keep rosin legal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Im telling yall on the field Blanco never touched the ball with his glove hand

In the dugout who knows what the fuck he is touching, but if shit was not on his throwing hand this shits all retarded.

Could he possibly be going to use it later at some point? Potentially. Did he break the rule? Yes.

Miss 2 starts and don't fucking do it again asshole

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, n64ra said:

How about leaving us in the NL Central and tossing the Brewers back to the AL since they had nearly 30 years there? That pushes KC from the AL Central to the AL West.

Oh indeed.  I was just trying to think of a scenario where we'd end up in the NL west because I disagreed with the notion that the al west has been easier than the nl central was.

F bud and the usurpers

Harry Potter Snape Always GIF

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Im telling yall on the field Blanco never touched the ball with his glove hand

In the dugout who knows what the fuck he is touching, but if shit was not on his throwing hand this shits all retarded.

Could he possibly be going to use it later at some point? Potentially. Did he break the rule? Yes.

Miss 2 starts and don't fucking do it again asshole

1 start

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Yall chill Espada only likes to challenge stuff he will 100% lose

Espada doesn’t do the bare minimum that a manager should do: confront the umps when necessary regarding balls and strikes, stick up for your players in the media and challenge calls when it’s clear as day the umps are wrong. He is way too passive and even keeled to be a successful manager.