Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Posted (edited)

The lineup today was shit as such the runs scored was shit. Bregman should never bat clean up again for this team. Sitting Loperfido was the entire Angels series was a stupid decision, but that should be expected because he have a retard as a manager. This team isn’t serious about making the playoffs right now. Altuve is a month long funk and no one can see that trying to pull everything is stupid. Meyers continues to be a disaster on the base paths. Why did we rush up McCormick to the big league club when he currently has no defined role on the team, especially with Espada playing Dubon so much in the OF, when Dubon should be taking PAs away from Bregman and Altuve.

If Espada had any ballls, he drop both Altuve and Bregman in the lineup. Tucker, Peña, Alvarez, Meyers, Singleton, Altuve, Bregman, Diaz/Caratini, Lopefido/McCormick.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm never gonna worry about Altuve or Yordan.

Bregman needs to go back to the bottom half of the order and stay there.

bregman needs to take a week off and go work with the marucci hitting team at lsu

it worked pretty good for pena 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, n64ra said:

wait a sec, what's the point of the yellow line then?

You have to think of it as the sideline rule in soccer. Any part of the ball touching the line and it's still in play. If it touches anything past the line, then the the ball is out of play and ruled a home run.

Edited by RegularSizedRudy

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I get all guys have slumps but feels like everyone of our guys goes through the longest slumps. A few good games followed up by a black hole of nothing for a month. 

Seems like Altuve’s slumps are pretty brief when they happen.  And this is the first year I ever recall feeling like Yordan is in a slump, and he’s been fairly productive even thru this one.  Tucker has been rock solid the last 3+ seasons.  I think Meyers and McCormicks down periods have been injury related more than classic slumps.  I can’t recall how Pena has been, although I’m sure he had prolonged slumps last season; eta: he’s been bad in Jun/July in 2022 and 2023.  Diaz is still adjusting to the majors imho but I guess you could call his May performance a “slump”; he didn’t play early last season then kicked everloving ass in Jun-Sep, and hit well in April.  May has been his first down month as a big leaguer.

Bregman is the one who seems to have prolonged slumps every season.  And Jose Abreu has been in a slump ever since he passed away in 2022 (RIP).  

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’m still not past that angels series. We should have at least won that series and very easily could have swept in which case, we’d be tied with the Rangers right now. And as a kicker, get an off day to let it simmer.

brutal when you’re scratching and clawing to make up for that brutal April 

• Hook 'Em 1

Altuve is in a bad stretch, but he can hit.  I have no concerns about him.  Alvarez is going to be who he is, you're not going to get peak Alvarez for an entire season, but he can still go apeshit for a couple of weeks.

What is hurting us much more on offense is Bregman falling off of a cliff, Diaz not being nearly as good as last year, Chazzz falling off a cliff, and shitty 1B hitting.  Plus, the bullpen sucks, and we had no healthy major league starters for a while.  Also, Espada appears to be braindead in about a third of the games.

I guess that's a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Also assuming that locks us into some Venezuela games with Altuve and all

At this point, I’m not sure how you can assume anything about what teams will be here other than they’ll be from the western hemisphere.

I’d guess today that Altuve will want to play but come March 2026? He’ll be knocking on the door of turning 36, coming off a broken thumb the last time he played in this tournament, and coming off playing late in to October/LCS for the 9th straight year

…well maybe not that last part 

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m still not past that angels series. We should have at least won that series and very easily could have swept in which case, we’d be tied with the Rangers right now. And as a kicker, get an off day to let it simmer.

brutal when you’re scratching and clawing to make up for that brutal April 

Our division is wretched.

So we have that going for us.

Which is nice.

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

image.gif.bef26b1160c3bf72ec7c930570ef08e7.gif

Fucking Iphone and the auto correct.  Yordan is Hurt.  That's pretty obvious. He's got an arthritic thing in his wrists/hands (remember this being an issue 2 years ago?)  My assumption is he knows he's brittle and that's why he signed the extension he did- which was a discount for the Astros based upon how awesome a hitter he is. 

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I’d flip. I prefer HB out of the pen 

Allow David Cross GIF

slap him around some in the BP, tell him to come out throwing 🔥🔥🔥. Quit being a pussy about things, go be the man. Couple more slaps !!!

Abreu’s first ever AAA AB:

Takes a called strike

late on a fastball that he fouls off down the RF line

takes a fastball up and away

spoils a pitch and slaps it foul down the RF line

late on a 92 fastball and fouls it back

fastball way off the plate

rolls over offspeed for easy groundout to SS

same as it ever was….

• Rage+1 3

Posted (edited)

Fuuuuuuuuuuccccck

urquidy leaves due to injury 

Edited by UTexasFight
Looked like he was flexing his hand backwards…hope it wasn’t the dreaded forearm strain of some sort. He tried a practice pitch and could barely lob it home
  • Rage+1 1

José Urquidy just left his minor-league rehab start with a trainer after 56 pitches. He attempted a warmup pitch, lobbed it in and walked off the mound.

José Urquidy was flexing his hand and fingers as he went into the dugout.

Jose Urquidy had a 5+ era last year, to think he was magically going to come back and pitch better than that is fan faction. The Astros are better served long term with Brown and Arighetti learning how to pitch at the MLB level. Still can't believe some of you guys think that Crane/Dusty vetoing him for Contreras was a good move considering we flipped Wilyer Abreu for 108 Vazquez PAs.