Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I also like when cocksuckers want to come run their mouths constantly about dumb shit when we lose, but when we have a dominate game like tonight they are nowhere to be found.

Fucking fraud ass little bitches.

Don't even need to name names cause if you think its you I am talking about....it is bitches.

Thrift Shop Love GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We just need to be more consistent scoring runs and not 18-0 in 2 games yet are 2-5 overall because we can’t score more than 1-2 runs in all our other games. 

Somehow I feel like that will take care of itself

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WBT said:

Somehow I feel like that will take care of itself

I mean it’s kinda what we did most of last season especially to end the year and the playoffs. I hope we work ourselves out of this pattern. If anything maybe our 7-9 inning rotation won’t blow a lead. I’ll take a 2-1 win over a 3-2 loss and then the bitching won’t be as loud about the offense. Still feels like this team needs to consistently average 5/6 runs a game to really start stacking wins. But it’s all smoke and mirrors when you score big like we do but can’t follow it up the next 2 games. 

like with the rangers this weekend, lose 3-1 then lose 2-0, then win 12-1, then lose 4-3. Rangers score 10 over 4 games vs the Astros 16. Explode in 1 game and we think we average plenty of runs when we don’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We just need to be more consistent scoring runs and not 18-0 in 2 games yet are 2-5 overall because we can’t score more than 1-2 runs in all our other games. 

45 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean it’s kinda what we did most of last season especially to end the year and the playoffs. I hope we work ourselves out of this pattern. If anything maybe our 7-9 inning rotation won’t blow a lead. I’ll take a 2-1 win over a 3-2 loss and then the bitching won’t be as loud about the offense. Still feels like this team needs to consistently average 5/6 runs a game to really start stacking wins. But it’s all smoke and mirrors when you score big like we do but can’t follow it up the next 2 games. 

like with the rangers this weekend, lose 3-1 then lose 2-0, then win 12-1, then lose 4-3. Rangers score 10 over 4 games vs the Astros 16. Explode in 1 game and we think we average plenty of runs when we don’t. 

Dude, this is an entire thing in baseball. It usually works itself out unless you have an epically bad bullpen. Ours is struggling right now but it's not that bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kevwun said:

They're going to have to get a couple of middle relievers at the trade deadline.  I am assuming Hader, Abreu and Pressly pull their heads out of their asses.

Which RP doesn’t belong on a playoff roster, assuming a rotation of Framber/JV/Javier/Brown:

Hader

Pressly

Abreu

Montero

Garcia (when healthy-June)

McCullers (when healthy-Aug)

Blanco

France

Urquidy

And thats assuming Arrighetti and no other pitching prospects emerge.  Unless somebody gets hurt (which is very likely), their staff will be stacked.  They may go out and add a RP but it’ll be a luxury.

The only spot I’m worried about on Houston’s roster is 1B.  If Abreu doesn’t come back to life they will need to do something.  If the Marlins sell they have 3 guys who could fit the bill in varying ways; Arraez would be a huge add, Burger would be a sleeper add, Bell would be a Mancini type add.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Need to reduce our TOOTBLANs too. I think we are already at 4 or 5 this year. 

We had 4 on Monday alone.

Edited by Guadaloopy
Forgot Chas trying to stretch an obvious single to a double.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Which RP doesn’t belong on a playoff roster, assuming a rotation of Framber/JV/Javier/Brown:

Hader

Pressly

Abreu

Montero

Blanco

France

Urquidy

And thats assuming Arrighetti and no other pitching prospects emerge.  Unless somebody gets hurt (which is very likely), their staff will be stacked.  They may go out and add a RP but it’ll be a luxury.

The only spot I’m worried about on Houston’s roster is 1B.  If Abreu doesn’t come back to life they will need to do something.  If the Marlins sell they have 3 guys who could fit the bill in varying ways; Arraez would be a huge add, Burger would be a sleeper add, Bell would be a Mancini type add.

You counted McCullers.  Never count LMJ.  The extra relievers are as much or more for the 2nd half of the season as they are the playoffs.  In the current bullpen, I don't feel comfortable with any of the options outside of the 3 backend guys coming in to close games.  That's not ideal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hader

Pressly

Abreu

Montero

Blanco

France

Urquidy

martinez is on the playoff roster 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

You counted McCullers.  Never count LMJ.  The extra relievers are as much or more for the 2nd half of the season as they are the playoffs.  In the current bullpen, I don't feel comfortable with any of the options outside of the 3 backend guys coming in to close games.  That's not ideal.

Huh?

name one team that feels comfortable with their bullpen outside of their 3 backend guys. Very few teams are comfortable with even that.

you think the Rangers enjoyed trotting Smith, Sborz, Chapman, LeClerc out there in the playoffs as often as they did?

I’ll give you injuries happen and am a believer in “you can never have enough pitching” but out of the names Snake Diggity mentioned, I’d go in to the playoffs with that pen all day and guessing most if not all of the other 29 teams would as well

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think we goto a 6 man rotation in the very near future 

I don’t think so. Maybe starting with the @Yankees series on May 7, which kicks off a 28 games in 29 days  stretch. 6 off days between then and now. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I can never remember a team making so many waiver claims. 

IMG_7627.jpeg

Astros taking advantage of openings on their 40 man due to their shallow farm and long term injuries to take flyers on castoffs.  It’s a good strategy.  Hummel can be optioned and is probably a better 3rd C than Salazar and Diaz is an Interesting arm who will be put on the 60 day IL.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Huh?

name one team that feels comfortable with their bullpen outside of their 3 backend guys. Very few teams are comfortable with even that.

you think the Rangers enjoyed trotting Smith, Sborz, Chapman, LeClerc out there in the playoffs as often as they did?

I’ll give you injuries happen and am a believer in “you can never have enough pitching” but out of the names Snake Diggity mentioned, I’d go in to the playoffs with that pen all day and guessing most if not all of the other 29 teams would as well

You guys keep talking about the playoffs and that's not what I'm worried about.  The season is long and you can't get through it with 3 guys you trust.  They will get run in to the ground.  You need guys who can eat up appearances without shitting all over themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You guys keep talking about the playoffs and that's not what I'm worried about.  The season is long and you can't get through it with 3 guys you trust.  They will get run in to the ground.  You need guys who can eat up appearances without shitting all over themselves.

Martinez and Montero have very good pedigrees for guys who would be the 4th and 5th best RP on the roster.  No team has 4+ guys with projections to be fully reliable in high leverage.  If we are “worried” about 3-4 weeks of having to filter thru fringey arms to find who sticks as the 6th and 7th best RP, what that really means is there’s nothing to worry about.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I’ll give you that. (Although “trust” is still relative. I’m not sure there any many teams that have more than 3 guys they are comfortable with. It’s usually 2-3 and you mix and match based on who is hot.)

I do think one or two guys will step up and surprise, but between injuries and someone else not performing up to expectations, it’s probably a wash.

I started to argue “who did we trust outside of Pressly, Neris, Abreu last year and look at how we ended up ?” (Maton turned out fine but after 2022, he wasn’t on anyone’s comfortable list at the beginning of the season. Montero was on that list at the beginning of last year but quickly became obvious he was a gas can)…but regular season we ended up with our lowest win total since the window fully opened and took a rangers choke to win the division, so if we’re baselining to last year, I get your argument. (Although I’d argue more of the reason for that win total is attributable to Dusty/lineup decisions than bullpen construction)

final grade from me: it’s an area that’s on the watchlist, but not an urgent buy right now.

Edited by UTexasFight

Posted (edited)

Maton, Neris, Montero and Stanek have all been good at points in their careers, so you can reasonably expect at least 1 or 2 of them to be pitching well at any given time.  When those names are Montero, Bielak, Mushinski and Martinez, I get nervous.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around watching Mushinski come in to pitch in close games.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, thetruth said:

After Yainers last big hitting series, I decided to check on Maldy in Chicago. He is 0/11 batting a solid .000 for the season. 

Better bang for the buck than Rendon

Penn Murfee and Luis Garcia were transferred to the 60-day IL to clear 40-man roster spots for Cooper Hummel and Miguel Díaz. Díaz will join the major-league bullpen in Arlington tomorrow. Houston optioned Dylan Coleman to Triple-A to clear a spot on the 26-man roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Singleton been waived or DFA’d yet? Just wish casting. 

mctagert on the radio today : ‘It surprised me when he made the winter roster, it’s surprised me he stuck around during spring training, it surprised me when he made the opening day roster’ 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

it surprised me when they called him up from Sugar Land, it surprised me when Dusty pinch hit him in the playoffs, it surprised me when Dusty pinch hit him again, over Chas, with the fucking season on the line...

too soon

Edited by WBT

So what happens when France comes back Saturday?  Apparently Miguel Diaz doesn't have any options.
Might as well boot Bielak. Not sure if he has options, but he would probably pass through waivers anyway cause he blows ass
  • Hook 'Em 1