Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, uoftorange said:

Correct.  

Some of y'all simply don't deserve this team.  Every time I see Astros fans get dragged for being little bitches I get pissed, then read this thread and realize our fans fucking suck.  Of course all fan groups suck when you get down to it.  The Astros can go 0-162 and I'll be disappointed but wouldn't lose a single second of sleep.  They have given me something I wanted my whole life and then got there 3 more times and did it again.  The Rangers spent ungodly amounts of money as did the Dodgers to get where they are right now. 

No front office stays together more than a few years if they are successful.  It could have been the greatest culture on earth and Sig and Stearns would have left.  Luhnow might still be here, and I hate that he's not.  The Astros should have stuck with him like the Red Sox did with Cora.  And if the culture in the office was good they would have.  It wasn't.  It was cut throat and so Crane's hands were tied.  And honestly 80% of you would have done the same thing.  Personally I would have told the commissioner to pound sand.  He has only the authority the owners allow him to have.  

I'm not asking people to pretend like better moves couldn't have been made, of course in hindsight that's true.  But ALL of you thought Abreu was at least the right signing.  Maybe not the best contract, but it was lauded EVERYWHERE, including here.  Same can be said for many of the moves.  Montero was ultimately a below market rate deal and had been outstanding the year before.  Even when they go and get Hader there is whining and bitching for getting the best closer in baseball.  The truth is if the team doesn't go 120-42 and sweep every Playoff series it isn't enough for some of you.  And it's a fucking beating to read.

Look, that season we had with 90 losses a dozen years or so ago was fun. It was fun because you could see Keuchel and Springer building up the team (and Correa in the minors) and you KNEW we were on the way out of a hole.

The road back down is no fun. And it's not just bad luck. It's that we know that of the talent we have now can't do it, we're gonna have to rebuild. Owner's chat about "window never closing as long as I own the team" sounds more like a guy who is unaware of reality than a guy who's showing determination.

We've lost a lot of the pieces that got us here, the farm is empty, and while we have some great players, they're either well past their prime and gonna spend half the season injured, or they're younger guys we ought to look into trading to get the farm rebuilt again so they don't end up wasting their best years on a shit team (see also: The Angels).

Don't tell me I'm not a good fan because I'm aware of reality.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Start taking calls on everyone not named Alvarez, Diaz, and Altuve.

Keep Altuve for the sentimental value, but you gotta listen on everyone else.  We aren't gonna be good again in Yordan or Yainer's window.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

He won't, but it's gonna take 40 pitches to get through the first.  He's gonna be at 100 pitches by no later than the 4th if that.  Gonna be a position player pitching game.  I remember when they made the other team do that.

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Brown off to a great start this year.

7.2 IP, 23 hits, 7 BB, 14 ER. 

Don't forget his 3.91 WHIP.  3 fucking starts to get to 7.2 innings.

Edited by kevwun

I fucking hate this team this year. We have lost our edge. That’s what you get by replacing clutch badasses with guys who have no heart like Abreu and Singleton. What an embarrassment. Clean house top to bottom. Singleton starting and getting ABs as a pinch hitter is all the proof you need that our GM and manager are idiots and have no clue what they’re doing. 

Edited by Macklemore

29 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Keep Altuve for the sentimental value, but you gotta listen on everyone else.  We aren't gonna be good again in Yordan or Yainer's window.

Jose’s gonna go out as an astro the same way he came in, isn’t he? (Part of 100+ loss teams)