Spring Game - 4/20/2024

msucolt45

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Up to 60% with likely thunderstorms during peak heat of the day.  As in, kickoff time.  There a lots of Spring Games happening the following weekend.  I know it's done to culminate the maximum number of permitted spring practices by NCAA, but then, lightning is also a serious NCAA concern.  They may have to think about Sunday or the following weekend.  I mean, it's one thing to play through some rain and they can open up covered areas from which fans can still enjoy the game and probably buy more concessions.  But they have to stop for a certain period of time if the lightning is within a certain radius.  I doubt they'll make a ruling until Thursday or Friday, but it'd be a massive cash burn to staff/stock the stadium and have all those families shuffle down there just to tell them to go wait in the courses for 45 minutes, and then another 45 minutes, and then another one just to call the game off.  A lot can change obviously but it's starting to look not great for anything resembling a 2:00p kickoff and thousands of families and hundreds of staff are already making their plans.  Kind of a pickle.  

'16 was only 1 half and was a bad omen to start the season (not that Chuck needed any help.) Shit sucked all the way around. Only bright spot, which later proved to be wish casting, was Shane's deep ball. 

1 hour ago, Born Burnt said:

What's important is that the team has chicken fingers to munch on during any rain delays.

I thought it was pizza? Chicken fingers wouldn't have been nearly as infuriating but not sure it would've mattered. Roach was MLB for Christ's sake...

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Born Burnt said:
What's important is that the team has chicken fingers to munch on during any rain delays.

Too soon, much too soon.

image.jpeg.569b7faca5d640eb430dc1415f582360.jpeg

17 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

'16 was only 1 half and was a bad omen to start the season (not that Chuck needed any help.) Shit sucked all the way around. Only bright spot, which later proved to be wish casting, was Shane's deep ball. 

I thought it was pizza? Chicken fingers wouldn't have been nearly as infuriating but not sure it would've mattered. Roach was MLB for Christ's sake...

2103 against TCU. Equally dark days.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
6 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:
2103 against TCU. Equally dark days.

I think Taysom is still out there with two knee braces hurdling Longhorn DB's.

Obviously I meant 2013. But still too soon to bring that up.

11 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

They served brisket sandwiches in the locker room during the 4th quarter rain delay against Maryland.

Posted (edited)

Or course they're saying there are no plans to, but Statesman cited a higher-up at Belmont that says it's not likely to happen.  Heavy rain is one thing, but it's up to 80% chance of thunderstorms/lightning for the vast majority of the day.  As starved as we all are for UT football, nobody wants to wait in the concourses or premium indoor areas for one 45-minute bolt delay after another for a game that doesn't really count.  I'll go either way, but they owe it to all those families that this is the only game they can make with the kids to make a call Thursday at the latest so folks can readjust their plans.  Never mind the 1000 employees and staff that need to know if they're working that day or not.  Obviously all this would still be true for a regular season game, but you can't move those (Arkansas hurricane game notwithstanding which ended up being 105* sunny day).  But you can move the Spring Game to Sunday or the following weekend with little to no issue.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

But it was pizza, supposedly, during the halftime rain delay. 

Mind you, the Maryland coach that put guys on stationary bikes was the interim replacing a coach that killed a guy

Edited by Dennis Taylor

Forecast holding at midday to nighttime thunderstorm chances at 90% with ~2in of rain and massive lightning.  Glad Belmont is holding its dick on this one.  Just seems like a curious flex on their part with so many families only being able to afford this one game planning their whole weekend around it.  Seems like something Patterson would do, not CDC.  I guess the upside is a metric ton of booze will be sold while people wait out the mandated lightning delays.  Nobody's being a pussy, it's just a fact they can't play in lightning.  It's just not allowed, so they should release something tomorrow so we can all start to plan around the new game date/time.  

Forecast holding at midday to nighttime thunderstorm chances at 90% with ~2in of rain and massive lightning.  Glad Belmont is holding its dick on this one.  Just seems like a curious flex on their part with so many families only being able to afford this one game planning their whole weekend around it.  Seems like something Patterson would do, not CDC.  I guess the upside is a metric ton of booze will be sold while people wait out the mandated lightning delays.  Nobody's being a pussy, it's just a fact they can't play in lightning.  It's just not allowed, so they should release something tomorrow so we can all start to plan around the new game date/time.  

Are you upset with cdc over weather that may or may not happen in 48 hours for something that has been planned for months?
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not upset with him at all, I love him.  It's just the forecast is pretty consistent across all platforms.  I realize they put a lot of planning into it, it's also the final hurrah for the UT Club.  I just think it'd be wise to make a judgement call one way or the other by tomorrow so families can plan accordingly.  Regular season games cannot be moved.  But two facts remain---we can hold the Spring Game whenever the fuck we want.  And they absolutely 100% cannot play in lightning.  I didn't invent those two facts, neither did CDC.  We're just cuttin' close is all. 

49 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'm not upset with him at all, I love him.  It's just the forecast is pretty consistent across all platforms.  I realize they put a lot of planning into it, it's also the final hurrah for the UT Club.  I just think it'd be wise to make a judgement call one way or the other by tomorrow so families can plan accordingly.  Regular season games cannot be moved.  But two facts remain---we can hold the Spring Game whenever the fuck we want.  And they absolutely 100% cannot play in lightning.  I didn't invent those two facts, neither did CDC.  We're just cuttin' close is all. 

So you're upset that they haven't done something now that you think they should do tomorrow?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'm not upset, Barbara.  I just think they should make a call tomorrow one way or the other.  I don't give a shit about my attendance.  I just take into consideration that is the one game that many local families get to attend is all.  Forecast seems to be lightening up so that's good.  Just shooting the breeze over gameday conditions is all.  I don't give fuck one either way.  I'll be quite comfortable.  Would like others to have an enjoyable day to plan around. 

We’re going rain or shine. Going to be a beautiful morning even if it rains all evening. I bet it will be off and on and not actually start thunderstorming until evening so it’s still on. 

Either way

Hook em

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Stop being a pussy. The phone forecasts are always inaccurate. If you watch the local Austin news stations, it’s not suppose to rain until late Saturday night

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Stop being a pussy. The phone forecasts are always inaccurate. If you watch the local Austin news stations, it’s not suppose to rain until late Saturday night

I'm being a pussy?  Just want families planning their day to have some heads up.  My gameday experience will be just fine, believe me.  My parking space and seating arrangements will make for a fine afternoon, thank you for your concern.  

I wish PhDhorn would weigh on this because I just watched KXAN and the 4 models were all over the place.  Everything from a heavy drizzle (that's what she said) to flash floods/sustained thunderstorms.  I dunno, I';m going either way and I get they can't make a call until closer to kickoff.  Fits with April in Austin where anything can happen including a sweep of TCU at the Disch.  

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I wish PhDhorn would weigh on this because I just watched KXAN and the 4 models were all over the place.  Everything from a heavy drizzle (that's what she said) to flash floods/sustained thunderstorms.  I dunno, I';m going either way and I get they can't make a call until closer to kickoff.  Fits with April in Austin where anything can happen including a sweep of TCU at the Disch.  

Ro Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Thunderstorm/Lightning chances now back down to 50-60% at 1:00p, which is nice.  

I  guess my lightning delay frustration stems from being at the BYU game back in 2013?  And then Maryland in 2018?  At the BYU game, we just sat on a bus laughing at how bad the BYU QB was gimping around and how we were gonna blow them out.  Obviously that did not turn out well.  Maryland game, we were already inside and ended up getting way overserved and overconfident about beating the crap outta them the rest of the way.  We all know how those two turned out.  Lightning delays aside, I'm liking our chances of winning this Saturday though.  

Is he still in Austin?  Hadn't seen/heard him in a long while.  Literally my worst grade in undergrad was his Weather & Climate class.  But he kinda hit on me when I went in for office hours to check on my grade at semester's end.  So I got that going for me.......which is nice.  

Good news is pre-game festivities should go off without a hitch, Saturday morning looking better and better in terms of precip/sunshine.  Glad I got good a good parking spot.  

Do we have any early high school graduates that practiced with the team this semester and are playing in the game?  

• Haha 1

The rain chances look moderate at this point for tomorrow during the day. Looks like the majority of the rain and thunderstorms will occur after 5. I'm going to wait and see what the forecast looks like tonight (maybe even early morning) before making a decision. Again, having small kids (11 y/o and 14 months) is influencing my decision. 

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I've never been able to make it out, does he shout, "Oh Ramparts!" or "Oh, Rat Farts" right before his crisis of faith/lightning bolt to the head?  

I don't think the heavy stuff
will come down for a while.

You're right.

Anyway, the good Lord
would never disrupt...

...the best game of my life.

I'm infallible, young fella!

Come on! One more hole!

Ratfarts!
  • Like 1