UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Haven’t seen the video you’re referencing (would be great if you could post it), but I don’t think you will get much push back here that a UT professor ignoring a Jewish student attempting to participate in a discussion is a chickenshit move. Also, not acknowledging that Hamas is a terrorist organization. That professor should be publicly shamed if that’s true. 

Unfortunately it was just a livestream.  I was doing a search to see if anydrama was occurring today and came across it and got sucked in for a bit. Will look to see if any video later.  To be clear, most of what I could hear was very tame but definitely not open to any discussion around the edges and the point about the IDF and APD was just WTF.  The audio wasn't great so maybe I missed some context.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There was literally a photo posted of a kid crossing a campus street last week, wearing a mask.  @Anastasis made his usual snarky response.

The one about the individual wearing a poor fitting N95 around while they walk outdoors with no one around them being performative? Yeah, that was me. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Unfortunately it was just a livestream.  I was doing a search to see if anydrama was occurring today and came across it and got sucked in for a bit. Will look to see if any video later.  To be clear, most of what I could hear was very tame but definitely not open to any discussion around the edges and the point about the IDF and APD was just WTF.  The audio wasn't great so maybe I missed some context.

I don't know the extent of it or its history, and I can't speak to its veracity, but a very quick (and cursory) Google search led me to this article, which mentions Austin as one of the participating police forces. This is the first I can ever recall hearing about any of this.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-us-police-training-end-knee-neck-protests

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

My point is that the *government* allows a range of alternatives that address the concerns you raise (e.g., protection from the elements) while also ensuring that  the public space will be available to others. I'm not saying they need to go somewhere else. Protest right there. You don't need a tent to do that.

I understand. And in my post I acknowledged that other mechanisms exist for protesters to address those concerns. That said, I want to focus on the bolded portion of your statement as it has the structure of our system of government backwards. It isn't for the government to decide what freedoms we are "allowed" to have. Rather, it is for us decide what power the government has to restrict those freedoms. By phrasing it as you've done, you've implicitly suggested the government is being generous by letting us do certain things. I'm not saying this is intentional, but this sort of phrasing can color how one views the issue. My suggestion is that the proper view recognizes the government is curtailing our ability to do something because that is ultimately how the exercise of power here works. And, in doing Constitutional analysis we're generally more focused on whether what government restriction was reasonable and necessary for the purpose it sought rather than whether the government could have taken even more restrictive action. 

18 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Just two more weeks and bro is going to stop the spread!

I mean, if you have to put on the stupid to make your point, quit while you're behind.  Kid could have had the flu, or an immune issue, or it could have been performative.  The point is, it isn't illegal to wear a fucking masks, but fascists like you and Annie like to slice and dice when things are OK and when they aren't.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean, if you have to put on the stupid to make your point, quit while you're behind.  Kid could have had the flu, or an immune issue, or it could have been performative.  The point is, it isn't illegal to wear a fucking masks, but fascists like you and Annie like to slice and dice when things are OK and when they aren't.

It's silly and rare at this point.  People who wear masks in 2024 are either the occasional socially awkward misfit or the rare soul who might be sick or have immune issue.  In contrast, there is a very, very large percentage of protesters wearing masks.  The organizers encouraged protesters to mask up. And it has zero to do with Covid.  It is to disguise their identity.  You know this.  You aren't that stupid.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

People who wear masks in 2024 are either the occasional socially awkward misfit

I would also add people that wear golf pants to the office to this list.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It's silly and rare at this point.  People who wear masks in 2024 are either the occasional socially awkward misfit or the rare soul who might be sick or have immune issue.  In contrast, there is a very, very large percentage of protesters wearing masks.  The organizers encouraged protesters to mask up. And it has zero to do with Covid.  It is to disguise their identity.  You know this.  You aren't that stupid.

So you do believe an N95 disguises its wearer's identity?

5 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Well, I'm going to hit a few on the way home and don't want to bring a change of clothes.

Bring a change of clothes. Nobody likes seeing that shit.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I understand. And in my post I acknowledged that other mechanisms exist for protesters to address those concerns. That said, I want to focus on the bolded portion of your statement as it has the structure of our system of government backwards. It isn't for the government to decide what freedoms we are "allowed" to have. Rather, it is for us decide what power the government has to restrict those freedoms. By phrasing it as you've done, you've implicitly suggested the government is being generous by letting us do certain things. I'm not saying this is intentional, but this sort of phrasing can color how one views the issue. My suggestion is that the proper view recognizes the government is curtailing our ability to do something because that is ultimately how the exercise of power here works. And, in doing Constitutional analysis we're generally more focused on whether what government restriction was reasonable and necessary for the purpose it sought rather than whether the government could have taken even more restrictive action. 

I can't do a proper constitutional analysis because I don't have legislative findings or a factual record to show what interest the state is trying to advance. I can think of possible interests in banning tents on the lawn (architectural consistency of structures, preserving the lawn, keeping the lawn open to students to the greatest extent), but it's admittedly speculation.

I do know, however, that a restriction on tents is either not a restriction on speech at all, or at most is a content-neutral restriction on the manner of speech. For that reason, it's important that the restriction permits the core political speech at issue and allows reasonable alternatives for students who want to protest next to a tent (protest in a raincoat, use an umbrella, etc.). I don't mean to suggest that the government is being generous, but rather that the government can impose content-neutral restrictions where, as here, alternatives are available. 

Edited by Mikey4
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

I would also add people that wear golf pants to the office to this list.

Dress like you or we're misfits huh?  Give me your address - I'm sending the protesters to your place next.

The Education Secretary isn’t down with what is happening across college campuses. 

“Education Secretary Miguel Cardona condemned what he deemed the "unacceptable" behavior of protesters on college campuses across the country.

"I think what's happening on our campuses is abhorrent," Cardona told Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., at the Senate's budget requests hearing for fiscal year 2025 on Tuesday. "It's unacceptable and we're committed as a Department of Education to adhering to Title VI enforcement."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/college-protests-israel-palestine-war/?id=109734946&cid=social_twitter_abcn

I guess the White House isn’t down with these campus occupiers nor their bullshit either. Hmmm….🤔 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

Why is protesting in masks illegal?  Is the idea that it emboldens them to do something illegal since they can't be identified by camera? 

I think that Texas repealed its mask prohibition in the 1970s. It wasn’t just protesting, it was basically anything in public with a mask. It was a way to target the KKK without saying “the KKK is banned from public events.” 

And the idea was more that people who might want to join a KKK rally would not want to if everyone saw them being pieces of shit and they suffered consequences. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The Education Secretary isn’t down with what is happening across college campuses. 

“Education Secretary Miguel Cardona condemned what he deemed the "unacceptable" behavior of protesters on college campuses across the country.

"I think what's happening on our campuses is abhorrent," Cardona told Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., at the Senate's budget requests hearing for fiscal year 2025 on Tuesday. "It's unacceptable and we're committed as a Department of Education to adhering to Title VI enforcement."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/college-protests-israel-palestine-war/?id=109734946&cid=social_twitter_abcn

I guess the White House isn’t down with these campus occupiers nor their bullshit either. Hmmm….🤔 

What is Title 6?

Edited by Bevo

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

So you do believe an N95 disguises its wearer's identity?

Not sure if serious.  During the depth of the wask wearing days I would see friends I knew well and didn’t have a clue who they were. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We actually have a moron here who adamantly believes wearing a mask or covering part of a face doesn’t make it more difficult to identify someone.  

Why do we think the protest organizers recommended wearing masks?  The world may never know.  

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

you think covering mouth and maybe nose conceals identity.  

Um, yes? What the fuck are you trying to argue here? If you can just as easily identify people just by their eyes as you can their whole face, more power to you I guess. But that's not the norm.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

We actually have a moron here who adamantly believes wearing a mask or covering part of a face doesn’t make it more difficult to identify someone.  

Why do we think the protest organizers recommended wearing masks?  The world may never know.  

Do you know how cops identify or don't identify potential perps?  Seriously, you aren't aware?

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you know how cops identify or don't identify potential perps?  Seriously, you aren't aware?

They use lots of methods.    It isn’t just facial recognition software. They have witnesses.  Police lineups   

It isn’t just police.  It’s also school officials.  Or witnesses.  Not every act is recorded on camera.  So we are all straight, you don’t think the masks and face coverings at all make it more difficult for police, prosecutors, school officials or witnesses to identify someone who breaks the law or a rule? You don’t think an eyewitness’ testimony in court is at all less credible when they have to admit half of the defendant’s face was covered?

stop being a fucking idiot just for once.  

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Why is protesting in masks illegal?  Is the idea that it emboldens them to do something illegal since they can't be identified by camera? 

it's about repercussions, young people believe they'll be blacklisted for jobs mostly, especially the Arabs. Israel supporters have websites that ID Arabs and some say are screened at major corporations as anti-semitic. No job for you! 

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're a fucking idiot if you think covering mouth and maybe nose conceals identity.  I'm done with this stupid angle.   You morons will take any angle to try to advance your fascist viewpoint.

No,  you are incorrect.   Walk into a bank wearing a mask with a deposit and see what happens.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're a fucking idiot if you think covering mouth and maybe nose conceals identity.  I'm done with this stupid angle.   You morons will take any angle to try to advance your fascist viewpoint.

“I’m wrong, and at odds with University policy, so gonna call you fucking idiots, morons, state how your angle is stupid, and top it off by calling you fascists, before claiming to exit the discussion that I will NOT exit.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

If you know someone, a mask probably doesn't make much of a difference identifying them. If you don't know them, go try to identify them in a line up and let me know how that worked.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you know someone, a mask probably doesn't make much of a difference identifying them. If you don't know them, go try to identify them in a line up and let me know how that worked.

You obviously don’t know how police identify people.  Eyewitnesses are no longer a thing, apparently.  

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I wonder if this is why the protesters are also protesting U.S. military aid and the U.S. diplomatic stance for Israel that is being directed by the White House.

Edited by F250

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

You obviously don’t know how police identify people.  Eyewitnesses are no longer a thing, apparently.  

In court and on record it turns out that eyewitness are incredibly unreliable on their own. But don't let me get in the way of your police state to silence speech you don't like, which is what kick-started this whole shit show

I seriously hope some of you didn't attend UT.  The eyes are far and away the biggest identifying feature on the human face, and an N95 mask -- which is wholly legal -- doesn't conceal the eyes.

"Oh noes!  They're wearing an N95 mask!  Arrest them!"

Fascist idiots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm terrible at that stuff. There was a homeless guy passed out on the sidewalk on Anderson Lane a few years ago somewhere between Cabo Bobs and Burnet. It was during the summer and over 100 degrees outside. So, I called the police from my car and they asked me to identify the guy. I was like, well he's male, he's not wearing a shirt. They then asked me if he was black or white. I sat there for a second and then said, did I tell you it was a male?

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I seriously hope some of you didn't attend UT.  The eyes are far and away the biggest identifying feature on the human face, and an N95 mask -- which is wholly legal -- doesn't conceal the eyes.

"Oh noes!  They're wearing an N95 mask!  Arrest them!"

Fascist idiots.

God damn, dude. Maybe sit a couple plays out. I don't like the company that you're forcing me to agree with.

• Hook 'Em 1