Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

47 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Any presidents budget proposal is pretty much a fart in a stiff breeze.

...until they don't get what they want, then threaten a government shutdown, then actually cause billions of dollars' worth of economic losses to the country by getting a government shutdown and still not getting what they want, and then inventing an (by their own admission) completely fake "emergency" to divert the funds to do what they wanted from the budget.

I mean, not like any of that shit would happen in a real democracy like ours, or anything... but just bear with me with this crazy, insane, completely stupid hypothetical.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The assertion was that the GOP consistently proposes to defund those programs. Cheeseweasel implied that this assertion was false. I provided budget proposals from Trump's White House in two consecutive years that proved the assertion true. And your response is to lecture me on the nature of presidential budget proposals? 

How about next time you just say this: Yes dahobbs, you are right and Cheeseweasel was wrong, the GOP does consistently propose to defund those programs. 

And then, if you want to make the point you thought you were making, you could add: But the GOP doesn't really mean it when it proposes that stuff. It is just trying to rile up the base. 

And my response would be: how in the fucking world does that make it better? Do you really think that is at all a "good" point for you?  

Oh, snap.

What he said.  -----^

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

And yet that has nothing to do with the fact that the GOP and Trump want to defund those programs. 

You keep using this word...

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Trump literally proposed to defund those programs in both his 2018 and 2019 budgets proposed.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/budget.pdf

See page 43 - "reform the welfare system" = $272 billion decrease in funding over 10 years

See page 43 - $190 billion reduction in SNAP (food stamps)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/budget-fy2019.pdf

See page 141- "reform the welfare system" = $262 billion decrease in funding over 10 years

See page 141- $213 billion reduction in SNAP (food stamps)

Defund does not mean "reduce". 

And anyone who doesn't believe we need to reduce the amount our government spends is not paying attention. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The assertion was that the GOP consistently proposes to defund those programs. Cheeseweasel implied that this assertion was false. I provided budget proposals from Trump's White House in two consecutive years that proved the assertion true. And your response is to lecture me on the nature of presidential budget proposals? 

How about next time you just say this: Yes Dahobbs, you are right and Cheeseweasel was wrong, the GOP does consistently propose to defund those programs. 

And then, if you want to make the point you thought you were making, you could add: But the GOP doesn't really mean it when it proposes that stuff. It is just trying to rile up the base. 

And my response would be: how in the fucking world does that make it better? Do you really think that is at all a "good" point for you?  

TLDR.

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And anyone who doesn't believe we need to reduce the amount our government spends is not paying attention. 

So reducing government spending in one area is wholly justifiable as a counter to reduced revenue because of charitable corporate tax cuts combined with increases in other spending (defense, etc.)?

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Got it.  He wants to attack our deficit by 1) reducing revenue by cutting taxes for rich people, 2) INCREASING military spending of what is the largest defense budget in the world by a factor of 3-4, and 3) slashing spending on programs that are depended on by the weakest and most vulnerable, and 4) all projections are that the mix of those three will STILL lead to an increase in the deficit.

I'll give you this -- he's not the self-proclaimed "king of debt" for nothing.  The fact that he gets to layer on being an utter dickbag, benefiting the most powerful and hurting the weakest, well, that's just a bonus.

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Actually a more intellectually stimulating story than the leftist fan fiction pushed here.

You misspelled "centrist." AOC isn't even particularly left-wing. It's just that what used to be the right-wing of this country has lost its marbles, the biggest case of mass self-brainwashing since Jonestown.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Got it.  He wants to attack our deficit by 1) reducing revenue by cutting taxes for rich people, 2) INCREASING military spending of what is the largest defense budget in the world by a factor of 3-4, and 3) slashing spending on programs that are depended on by the weakest and most vulnerable, and 4) all projections are that the mix of those three will STILL lead to an increase in the deficit.

I'll give you this -- he's not the self-proclaimed "king of debt" for nothing.  The fact that he gets to layer on being an utter dickbag, benefiting the most powerful and hurting the weakest, well, that's just a bonus.

Yea but he just wants to reduce funding not defund. Come on brisket how dare you understand nuance.

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I'm pretty sure it is a completely appropriate use of the word. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/defund

Definition of defund

transitive verb

: to withdraw funding from

Merriam-Webster even provides a handy example that illustrates the appropriateness:

[/quote]Others are angry that more than two years into Republican control of all three branches of the federal government, Planned Parenthood still hasn’t been fully defunded.[/quote]

No need to say fully defunded if the word, as you say, means completely defunded as opposed to reduced funding. The meaning of reduced funding is also pretty clear from its prefix (de), which means down from.  

But of course, all of this semantics is beside the point. You knew what was meant (i.e., reduced funding). And you also know that reducing it overtime is the path to fully defunding it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To be fair, all spots on the political spectrum seem sharper than you. Nickel next to a penny and all that.

That’s great.

I for one look forward to your next scribal diarrhea.  Be sure to CAPITALIZE every other word.  It’s impressive.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

You misspelled "centrist." AOC isn't even particularly left-wing. It's just that what used to be the right-wing of this country has lost its marbles, the biggest case of mass self-brainwashing since Jonestown.

People just don't appreciate how much pure gold there is in these CR threads. You have to dig a bit, but it's there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I’m guessing this is a troll comment. Floating the idea of 90% tax on corporations is nothing close to “centrist”. 

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I’m guessing this is a troll comment. Floating the idea of 90% tax on corporations is nothing close to “centrist”. 

It's closer to centrist than Trump is to:

- Christan values

- Fiscal conservatism

- Conservative foreign policy

- Anything in the neighborhood of the old notion that being Conservative was for people with brains

It's all a matter of relative truth. Trump is a con artist who got a bunch of people to think he was on their side, when he's anything but, and they're dumb enough to defend him and love him while he destroys every last vestige of what made America great. That MAGA is his supporters' motto is just sad irony.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

- Christan values

- Fiscal conservatism

- Anything in the neighborhood of the old notion that being Conservative was for people with brains

It's all a matter of relative truth. Trump is a con artist who got a bunch of people to think he was on their side, when he's anything but, and they're dumb enough to defend him and love him while he destroys every last vestige of what made America great. That MAGA is his supporters' motto is just sad irony.

Neither your initial comment or my response had anything to do with Trump. 

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'll give her detractors one thing; she's got some bat-shit crazy eyes.  As we all know, those are equally capable of bringing pleasure and pain. 

Semi-serious question, do the crazy eyes put a ceiling on her career?  

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

- Christan values

- Fiscal conservatism

It's all a matter of relative truth. Trump Our Government is a con artist who gets people to think they are on their side, when they're anything but, and we're all dumb enough to defend the Federal Apparatus and love them while they destroy every last vestige of what made America great. That Generic Slogan that supporters' rally around every election only to be duped by said motto is just sad irony.

Fixed it for you.   See ya'll in a month

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez