Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

2 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Please keep pushing and believing the "AOC is stupid" meme, Trumpsters. Please.

It helps that they (the Trumpsters) are stupid.  They think that posting stupid memes is funny, clever, or successful trolling.  In reality, we all just think they are stupid for posting stupid memes.

• Fuck You 1

She’s smart in general, but the airport pricing thing was beyond dumb. 

She’s trying to change the minds of people that put butter on their croissants.  

And even the poorest of the poor and dumbest of the dumb and Trumpest of the Trump knows that stuff at airports and theaters and stadiums costs more than it does in the mainstream world.  

And seriously Cortez, your district is right near LaGuardia.  You know damn well what a shitshow that airport is.  You could be using your political clout to bring much needed safety and logistical upgrades to that place, but you want to talk about overpriced confections?   Da fuh? 

Am I the only one that read the tweet and knows she was pointing out that a $7 croissant cost the same as nearly an hour of work at the minimum wage?
Maybe not the best argument but her point was needing to raise the minimum wage.
Are y’all just being douchebags by saying she was complaining about the price?

8 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

Am I the only one that read the tweet and knows she was pointing out that a $7 croissant cost the same as nearly an hour of work at the minimum wage?
Maybe not the best argument but her point was needing to raise the minimum wage.

I believe the minimum wage at LaGuardia will be $19 per hour and is being phased in over a couple years.  So maybe croissants will be even more expensive 

Edited by EuroHorn

Then use something that's more of a necessity, but still overpriced like a half tank of gas for a compact car or a flu shot or a co-pay or 3 school lunches for a family with 3 young kids. 

And it's $7 is not "nearly an hour of work at the minimum wage."  Minimum wage in New York City (you know, that place where LaGuardia is) is $13.50, or (2) croissants.  

We understand her point, but it was an incredibly odd choice.  No economic argument was ever driven across effectively with an airport analogy.  You can almost hear Jerry Seinfed as her future head of Economic Advisors, "What's the deal with these airport croissants?  I mean, I gotta cash in my ticket just to pay for one of these things.  Have you seen these croissants at LaGuardia?  I won't even use the bathroom at LaGuardia, let alone indulge in baked goods."  Airports and minimum wage advocacy don't mix well.  Airports are populated almost entirely by people not being paid enough from janitors to air traffic controllers.  she should have drawn attention to them, not the Au Bon Pain in Concourse C.  

She could wrap in health care and women's rights and said a bottle of prenatal vitamins for a new mother-to-be costs about $15 for a 1-month supply.  They are almost never covered by insurance and are incredibly essential to baby's development.  And yet this young expecting mother doesn't make enough in one hour to cover something so basic for her growing family.  

16 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

Been wondering the same. The tweet clearly was about minimum wage.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Then use something that's more of a necessity, but still overpriced like a half tank of gas for a compact car or a flu shot or a co-pay or 3 school lunches for a family with 3 young kids. 

And it's $7 is not "nearly an hour of work at the minimum wage."  Minimum wage in New York City (you know, that place where LaGuardia is) is $13.50, or (2) croissants.  

We understand her point, but it was an incredibly odd choice.  No economic argument was ever driven across effectively with an airport analogy.  You can almost hear Jerry Seinfed as her future head of Economic Advisors, "What's the deal with these airport croissants?  I mean, I gotta cash in my ticket just to pay for one of these things.  Have you seen these croissants at LaGuardia?  I won't even use the bathroom at LaGuardia, let alone indulge in baked goods."  Airports and minimum wage advocacy don't mix well.  Airports are populated almost entirely by people not being paid enough from janitors to air traffic controllers.  she should have drawn attention to them, not the Au Bon Pain in Concourse C.  

She could wrap in health care and women's rights and said a bottle of prenatal vitamins for a new mother-to-be costs about $15 for a 1-month supply.  They are almost never covered by insurance and are incredibly essential to baby's development.  And yet this young expecting mother doesn't make enough in one hour to cover something so basic for her growing family.  

So again, her point is valid. People are just nit picking because they've been told she is the devil and stupid. The simple fact is that she is much more intelligent than the people criticizing her, particularly those on this thread. Of course, I also happen to think the croissant is more intelligent than most of them. 

Edited by Dahobbs

44 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And even the poorest of the poor and dumbest of the dumb and Trumpest of the Trump knows that stuff at airports and theaters and stadiums costs more than it does in the mainstream world.  

And seriously Cortez, your district is right near LaGuardia.  You know damn well what a shitshow that airport is.  You could be using your political clout to bring much needed safety and logistical upgrades to that place, but you want to talk about overpriced confections?   Da fuh? 

Then what was the point of that section? No shit everyone knows that. The point was about minimum wage.

Her point is valid as I've stated a half dozen times.  I just think she is smart enough that she would have illustrated her point with an item that costs closer to $13.50 and/or was more relevant to people's lives.  The people who need minimum wage increases don't eat at LaGuardia.  And the people who control minimum wage levels won't be swayed by the croissant argument.  Anyway, her point is valid, I think she's just under pressure to push out content and literally tweeted the first thing for sale she saw at the airport.  I would have personally used my $7 draft beer or Penthouse copy from Hudson's, but to each his own.  

Also, in a tweet of just 140 characters......sometimes people may read each word of it and so while the point was minimum wage, there were other parts to the story that people may have been paying attention to.  The story was long and hard to follow.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Her point is valid as I've stated a half dozen times.  I just think she is smart enough that she would have illustrated her point with an item that costs closer to $13.50 and/or was more relevant to people's lives. The people who need minimum wage increases don't eat at LaGuardia. And the people who control minimum wage levels won't be swayed by the croissant argument.  Anyway, her point is valid, I think she's just under pressure to push out content and literally tweeted the first thing for sale she saw at the airport.  I would have personally used my $7 draft beer or Penthouse copy from Hudson's, but to each his own.  

Also, in a tweet of just 140 characters......sometimes people may read each word of it and so while the point was minimum wage, there were other parts to the story that people may have been paying attention to.  The story was long and hard to follow.  

The people who work there do.

You think?  I rarely see airport employees eating at in-terminal places.  They have break rooms and kitchens for that kinda thing.  I would think it's cost prohibitive for airport employees to eat 1 or 2 $12-15 meals each shift.  Now Airline employees eat that shit every chance they get because it's paid for by the Airline.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Her point is valid as I've stated a half dozen times.  I just think she is smart enough that she would have illustrated her point with an item that costs closer to $13.50 and/or was more relevant to people's lives.  The people who need minimum wage increases don't eat at LaGuardia.  And the people who control minimum wage levels won't be swayed by the croissant argument.  Anyway, her point is valid, I think she's just under pressure to push out content and literally tweeted the first thing for sale she saw at the airport.  I would have personally used my $7 draft beer or Penthouse copy from Hudson's, but to each his own.  

140 characters is only hard to follow for a fucking moron

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Maybe if you can’t afford $15 a month for vitamins don’t get pregnant?

What’s going to fuck our country harder than anything is that the smart and responsible people who should be having kids aren’t.  And the dipshits on Vic Mackey’s Facebook feed are popping them out as fast as they can.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What’s going to fuck our country harder than anything is that the smart and responsible people who should be having kids aren’t.  And the dipshits on Vic Mackey’s Facebook feed are popping them out as fast as they can.  

has less to do with genetics than nurture.  which seems like a good argument for universal pre-K, maternal leave, neonatal health care, etc. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Oh don't worry, they're on your facebook feed too.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

LaGuardia is currently being entirely upgraded. And that's been in the works since Biden bad-mouthed it. Of course, it's even worse during the terminal rebuilds, but that is to be expected. 

Not sure how it's unsafe otherwise. NYC airspace is crowded yet there aren't many, if any, incidents. There 

The most I've ever related to Donald Trump was the story about how Ryan was talking to Trump, and Trump just decides to walk away out of boredom. Everybody ignoring Ryan is for the best. 

Too bad he will comeback and run for Governor of Wisconsin once people forget how shitty he was. 

saw something on cspan last night where they showed a campaign ad from a lady running in virginia or north or south carolina, some southern state, and she brings up aoc in her tv spot.  she has 30 seconds to lure voters in with something positive about herself, and instead blows it talking about aoc.  voters in nc have no oversight or say in what representatives from ny do.  representatives in nc have no oversight or or say in what voters in ny do.  

this goes to show how triggered the right is about her and how they can't stop talking about her.  they have made her a superstar.  

all those people in the comments saying ryan was the worst speaker in modern history, how have they forgotten gingrinch and the child molester?

I saw Gingrich speak in Atlanta in the 90’s to a large audience and he was really good, even if you didn’t agree with his politics.

11 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Most of you won't be able to see it through your hero workship of her, but Speaker Pelosi is incredibly uncomfortable in that photograph.  AOC looks giddy and chill.  Nancy looks like she's in excruciating pain.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Most of you won't be able to see it through your hero workship of her, but Speaker Pelosi is incredibly uncomfortable in that photograph.  AOC looks giddy and chill.  Nancy looks like she's in excruciating pain.  

Oh yeah that smile is a clip on for damn sure...  Nancy is a fake.  Hey everybody look at me I;m progressive....(now get these people off my lawn ) 

The smile is one thing, look at how tightly she's gripping her hands together.  Clenched tighter than something, something...queer eye

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

This board's hero worship of Nancy Pelosi?

Wow, good point.  Usually politicians look comfortable as hell around people.  At least the ones that rose to her level of power.  

And yeah, I mean this thread not the whole board.   Mixed up words.  My bad, I was wrong.  

I still say she looks like she doesn’t want to be around gays in that photo, which is curious given her Northern California district.  Then I look at these other photos and realize she’s just always like that around anybody not cutting her a donation check.  Which actually makes those pics of her in the Oval Office even more impressive. Small children make her physically wince and tense, but around Trump-who is also a small child-she looked comfortable and confident as fuck.  

Some people just freeze when smiling for pictures.

When my son is talking and laughing in a normal setting, he has a gorgeous smile.

Ask him to smile for a picture? He looks like someone shoved a hot poker up his ass.

Picture smiles are by definition fake smiles - some people can’t fake the funk.

Here’s a couple of candids of Nancy and she looks more relaxed and natural -

1ae80c5c5a98619019a21f1604b6e0ea.jpg
0767b2552910890a511edaf94b27b303.jpg

Yeah, she’s comfortable around money and power.  Not so much around regular folks whom she hasn’t engaged in decades.  She’s literally the poster girl for term limits. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez