Necco Wafers

RPM

No more Necco Wafers? New owner shutters Mass. factory

The world of the Necco Wafer has crumbled.

The Massachusetts plant that made the beloved, but often mocked, candy closed Tuesday, the Boston Globe reported. Round Hill Investments announced that it had sold the once-bankrupt Necco, purchased for $17.3 million in May, to another candy maker. 

Necco, short for the New England Confectionery Co., is believed to be the oldest continuously operating candy company in the U.S. It traces its roots back to 1847, but adopted the name at the turn of the 20th century.

Sweet-treat aficionados will recognize Round Hill Investments, owned by billionaire C. Dean Metropoulos and his sons, as the firm that bought Hostess Brands when the Twinkies manufacturer was bankrupt in 2013.

“Round Hill Investments was very excited to acquire Necco’s historic brands and to be part of their national resurgence,” read the statement sent to the Globe. "After careful engagement and consideration, however, the firm decided to sell the brands to another national confection manufacturer and today announced the closure of the operations in Revere, Massachusetts."

According to the Globe reports, the company, which operates Necco under the affiliate name Sweetheart Candy, didn't say who Necco’s new owner is or whether the iconic snacks would be produced again. 

By late Wednesday morning, Necco's website was down and the phone number, no longer valid.

News about the closure came so fast that the city where Necco is headquartered received no advance notice and only learned about it after receiving media inquiry. 

"We are disappointed that Round Hill could not follow through on the enthusiasm it expressed when it acquired Necco," Mayor Brian Arrigo said in an e-mail. "The city of Revere will make every effort to assist displaced workers with referrals to agencies that can help them."

Necco also made Sweethearts and Clark Bars, two less controversial snacks whose names showed no mercy to the local Boston accent.

3 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Was this candy just a Yankee thing, or a very old person thing?

I’ve honestly never seen these things before, much less eaten them.

What about Astro pops or Fun Dip?

what do they sell at Little League baseball games now? Screen protectors for cell phones and pics of Jerry Sandusky?

Edited by slorch

What about Astro pops or Fun Dip?
what do they sell at Little League baseball games now? Screen protectors for cell phones and pics of Jerry Sandusky?

Yes I remember fun dip and Astro pops.

I have no idea what they serve at little league, where i live it depends on what side of town you’re on, but I’m guessing raspas are a popular choice

13 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Was this candy just a Yankee thing, or a very old person thing?

I’ve honestly never seen these things before, much less eaten them.

This. The first time I'd ever heard of Necco Wafers was when I read this thread title, and I'm in my mid-20's.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This. The first time I'd ever heard of Necco Wafers was when I read this thread title, and I'm in my mid-20's.

They are old as fuck.

At Cracker Barrel, you can buy the rolls with just chocolate( the best ones) in them.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:34 PM, Deej said:

If you really need your fix, a box of sidewalk chalk should take care of it.

No kidding. I dislike Necco for more than their shitty candy.

For years local confectioner Stark Candy Company made candy raisins. Nothing to do with raisins. A member of the soft jujube family with a honey, ginger, lilac / violet flavor. Maybe a little bit medicinal. Really delicious. Kind of a local thing like bubblers and brandy old fashioned sweets with olives.  

Necco bought Stark and discontinued candy raisins. After a couple of years of sweethearts and wafers, Necco closed the local factory. A lot of people were out of work. What? Did the Chinese start exporting conversational hearts and sidewalk chalk?

Only recently have real candy raisins made from the original patented recipe become available again. 

So. Hard luck, Necco.