7 Loudest College Football Stadiums

Vic Mackey

http://www.stack.com/a/loudest-college-football-stadiums

It's the fourth quarter of a primetime college football game, and your squad is up 3 with just over a minute left to play. A white, ESPN-branded flag flutters slightly against the wall, because, yeah, this game is nationally televised. The opposing team has the ball at its own 45, and it's third and 3. A stop here for the defense, and it's game, set, match. The scoreboard implores you and your ketchup-stained brethren to "Get Loud!" You do. The whole stadium does. It sounds like you've accidentally stumbled onto an airplane runway without ear protectors. "This must be the loudest a college football stadium ever," you think to yourself.

Every college football fan probably thinks his or her team's stadium is the loudest. There is no definitive ranking of stadium noise levels measured in decibels, since not every stadium has attempted to record it. A handful have, though, so we decided to bring you the loudest of the bunch. Although places like Texas A&M's Kyle Field and Ohio State's Ohio Stadium might belong on this list, we could find no record of their decibel levels. So cover your ears. You might be surprised by which stadium is No. 1.

7. Michigan Stadium (Michigan Wolverines)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 110

"The Big House," so called because of its 109,901 seating capacity, largest in college football, surprisingly comes in last on the voice meter. Michigan Stadium was originally measured at 100 decibels in 2007, but new skyboxes increased its maximum noise level to 110, which still pales in comparison to other venues on this list. Michigan Stadium, which is shaped like a big bowl, is unable to capture and keep sound in-house, since the noise made by fans has nothing to bounce off, and the sound dissipates into the air above.

6. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Florida Gators)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 115

When you come to "The Swamp," prepare to leave with some slight ringing in your ears. Ninety-thousand Florida Gator fans have hit 115 decibels on the noise scale, according to the SEC blog, Saturday Down South—a good but not great statistic for the 12th-largest college football stadium in the country.

5. Beaver Stadium (Penn State Nittany Lions)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 122

Known for its "White Out" themed games, when every fan is encouraged to wear white to give the impression that an actual blizzard is about to blow over the field, Penn State's Beaver Stadium can also party like its 1999—to the tune of 122 decibels. That noise level is the equivalent of standing near someone who's sandblasting, or standing in the front row of a Kings of Leon show. Happy Valley gets loud.

4. Autzen Stadium (Oregon Ducks)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 127

If you know anything about Oregon football, you're well aware of the seemingly thousands of uniform combinations the team trots out every Saturday and the school's immensely expensive athletic center. And although Autzen Stadium, home of the Ducks, holds only 54,000 people, it is one of the loudest stadiums in college football. Crowd noise hit 127 decibels in a 2007 game against USC, loud enough for a human being to start experiencing pain in his or her ears. So enjoy yourself if you're attending a Ducks home game this season, but be prepared to ask "what was that you said?" a lot the week after.

3. Tiger Stadium (LSU Tigers)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 130

They don't call it "Death Valley" for no reason. It gets so loud down in Baton Rouge, you'll be dead by the time you leave. Just kidding, of course, but a noise level of 130, which Tiger fans hit in a 2007 game against Florida, is kind of like being on an aircraft carrier while an F/A-18 Super Hornet takes off. Translation: not pleasant.

2. Memorial Stadium (Clemson Tigers)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 132.8

Fans at Memorial Stadium, another place commonly referred to as Death Valley, were measured raising their combined voices to a level of 132.8 decibels during a 2007 game against Boston College. That's loud. That's like running-four-jackhammers-at-one-time loud. If you feel like risking going deaf by age 30, Clemson football home games are definitely for you.

1. Husky Stadium (Washington Huskies)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 133.6

Surprise! Husky Stadium, home of the University of Washington Huskies, holds the record for loudest college football stadium with a whopping 133.6 decibel level. The record was set way back in 1992 during a game against Nebraska, so we'll forgive you for having no idea that these purple-clad athletes were No. 1. Husky Stadium's insane capacity for noise is due to its two gray overhangs on either side, which trap sound and bounce it back toward the field below. A packed Husky Stadium could mean serious eardrum damage, which means you could be telling kids to "turn down that damn music" much sooner than you'd like.

My favorite off season topic. I make an annual pilgrimage to Texags for their annual self-worship for being the loudest fans and discussion of which was the loudest game they attended. Such a playground for the astute mind!

I imagine the above list will lead to lively debate for the asses on the Brazos.

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

5. Beaver Stadium (Penn State Nittany Lions)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 122

Known for its "White Out" themed games, when every fan is encouraged to wear white to give the impression that an actual blizzard is about to blow over the field, Penn State's Beaver Stadium can also party like its 1999—to the tune of 122 decibels. That noise level is the equivalent of standing near someone who's sandblasting, or standing in the front row of a Kings of Leon show. Happy Valley gets loud.

Doesn't include the sounds of rhythmic slapping.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

1. Husky Stadium (Washington Huskies)
Highest Recorded Decibel Level: 133.6

Surprise! Husky Stadium, home of the University of Washington Huskies, holds the record for loudest college football stadium with a whopping 133.6 decibel level. The record was set way back in 1992 during a game against Nebraska, so we'll forgive you for having no idea that these purple-clad athletes were No. 1. Husky Stadium's insane capacity for noise is due to its two gray overhangs on either side, which trap sound and bounce it back toward the field below. A packed Husky Stadium could mean serious eardrum damage, which means you could be telling kids to "turn down that damn music" much sooner than you'd like.

I was at this game.  Yeah, it was ridiculously loud.  IIRC, it was the first night game in Husky Stadium history.

But there's no way it was louder than the 1991 U$C game -- the Marinovich "All I saw was purple" game.  There was one point in that game where I was trying to talk to the guy next to me, screaming as loud as I could, and he couldn't hear me.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Doesn't include the sounds of rhythmic slapping.

Because the locker room shower at once amplifies it, but also suppresses the noise with shame and intimidation.  

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was at this game.  Yeah, it was ridiculously loud.  IIRC, it was the first night game in Husky Stadium history.

But there's no way it was louder than the 1991 U$C game -- the Marinovich "All I saw was purple" game.

When did they start measuring decibel levels at college football games?

These are the kind of statistics kept by teams that have no history of winning.

Texas doesn't have the loudest stadium, we all know and understand that.

But I do wonder how loud it's been at some key moments.  Like Ricky's TD run against the Aggies that set the record.  Or Phil Dawson's game winning kick against UVA.  Or the entire 1990 Texas-Houston game.  It would be interesting to see how those stacked up against other all-time loud stadium moments around the country.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

So basically at some point this season there will be a report in the field at an Aggie game with a decibel meter. And then we can laugh as the meter is some paltry level 

Let's not kid ourselves -- Kyle Field can get REALLY fucking loud.  It just usually quiets down.  To wit:

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Wait until the hearing loss lawsuits start rolling in now that we have all this data available.

I'm so looking forward to having to sign a 12 page waiver to attend a football game.

14 minutes ago, Jack said:

When did they start measuring decibel levels at college football games?

These are the kind of statistics kept by teams that have no history of winning.

lolwat?  Washington, Clemson, LSU, Oregon, Penn State, and Michigan are top 6?  They have no history of winning?

Usually it's the TV crew that measures this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But I do wonder how loud it's been at some key moments.  Like Ricky's TD run against the Aggies that set the record.  Or Phil Dawson's game winning kick against UVA.  Or the entire 1990 Texas-Houston game.  It would be interesting to see how those stacked up against other all-time loud stadium moments around the country.

The first quarter of Ohio State in '06 was very loud, before we got Ginn'd. 

15 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Loudest and drunkest.

Yes, yes indeed.  That was my freshman year.  I never knew so much beer existed in the whole world.  And then after the game, I went with my older brother to a frat party and they introduced me to bourbon and coke.  Ugh...

26 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

So basically at some point this season there will be a report in the field at an Aggie game with a decibel meter. And then we can laugh as the meter is some paltry level 

Don't count the Ags out. Sheep can get pretty loud when violated and in distress.

19 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I thought the Big House was considered a mausoleum given it’s open air design and gentle sloping if the stands. 

The one game I've attended there was an incredible game between the Desmond Howard team and MSU, and it wasn't particularly loud.

14 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The tackle box is only occasionally loud, and it is not top 10 loud at that. 

I am curious how much louder DKR will get when the south end zone is done. I suspect it all depends on whether Texas wins or not.

Well, it’ll be challenging once we leave 40% of the horshoe completely open so that people in the East stands can see the capitol building. 

1995 Texas  vs Tech in Austin, I believe one of our starting secondary players mentioned in the Daily Texan that they could smell booze from the field, or the sideline. I don't remember the particulars, because I was also partaking.

It was loud that night too.

• Like 1

They used to have a decibel meter in Texas Memorial Stadium (back before it was DKR Texas Memorial Stadium), they would display it on the Freddie Steinmark Memorial Scoreboard before it was torn down to make way for godzillitron.  I can't remember what level it got to.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

They used to have a decibel meter in Texas Memorial Stadium (back before it was DKR Texas Memorial Stadium), they would display it on the Freddie Steinmark Memorial Scoreboard before it was torn down to make way for godzillitron.  I can't remember what level it got to.
I dont think it was very accurate, I think someone turned a knob

20 minutes ago, Dewey said:
38 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think someone turned a knob

[Insert mom joke here]

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

1995 Texas  vs Tech in Austin, I believe one of our starting secondary players mentioned in the Daily Texan that they could smell booze from the field, or the sideline. I don't remember the particulars, because I was also partaking.

It was loud that night too.

I was there.  Loudest game I've personally been to.  But I've haven't been to as many as others here. 

Add '08 Mizzou to that list.

12 minutes ago, You don't know me said:
4 hours ago, kopp0e said:
Most aggy moms have 3 or 4 sets of tits..?

Teats

I was thinking that earlier, but I almost put teets... And I didn't have time to double check... But thanks for the accuracy...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

It was fucking loud AF for all of those.

I would also add that it was loud AF during any of about eleventy-bazillion ridiculous plays VY made.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I thought the Big House was considered a mausoleum given it’s open air design and gentle sloping if the stands. 

We are so I’m surprised to see us on here. It’s A LOT louder now that the suites are there but should be louder 

9 hours ago, taybo20 said:

they're riggin' that mother fucker and you know it.

the lines between the decibel numbers will be cut in half if they have to.

Texas fans are as loud as anyone in big games and as quiet as anyone in insignificant games. A&M is no different. 

For my money, the Cotton Bowl in October is as consistently loud as any stadium. The beginning of the game is usually deafening (when teams take the field, etc.) And the average hate level is off the charts. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Texas fans are as loud as anyone in big games and as quiet as anyone in insignificant games. A&M is no different. 

For my money, the Cotton Bowl in October is as consistently loud as any stadium. The beginning of the game is usually deafening (when teams take the field, etc.) And the average hate level is off the charts. 

All of this.

• Like 2