2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

20 years from now Bregman will be in Cooperstown alongside Biggio

I’m hoping for more like 25.
Don’t you have to be out of baseball for 7 years?

Whatever it is, soak this up as much as you can.
JV, Tuve, Bregs, Correa...I think we look back in ~2 decades from now and will be even more impressed at the talent that took the field every night in the late-teens in Houston

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m hoping for more like 25.
Don’t you have to be out of baseball for 7 years?

Whatever it is, soak this up as much as you can.
JV, Tuve, Bregs, Correa...I think we look back in ~2 decades from now and will be even more impressed at the talent that took the field every night in the late-teens in Houston

Just five seasons after retirement from playing and at least ten years in the MLB.

So if Bregman plays until age 38 or 39 and at the same level as he is now or close to it for the next 10 or 11 seasons, 20 years to Cooperstown is about right.  I think it will be more than 20, if he does make it.  His chances are good as he's really, really good at a really young age. 

And he's a tribesman, so he would join Greenberg, Koufax, and maybe Braun.  Maybe a Top Ten of all time for any sport.  I'm rooting for him because he's an Astro and because there aren't many we can brag about, you know

25 minutes ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Fake rings did the job. Crane ain’t no dummy. He’s been doing the ring give away once a month for games that wouldn’t be highly attended otherwise.

He can probably get SRO crowds for these critical games if he gives away cocaine, and I'd be ok with that.  

I thought there were 31 more.

There are, but it don’t make a shit.

I hate to break it to some of you that keep worrying, but we’re winning the division, guys....by somewhere between 7-10 games.
If the A’s couldn’t pass us in the 60 days we didn’t field a lineup that included Springer/Correa/Altuve, they’re not going to do it now that all 3 are back (did I mention the A’s played .730 ball during that stretch? And sorry, but a starting rotation that features Trevor Cahill and Mike Fiers as its best 1/2 now that Manaea is on the shelf is not going to unseat the defending World Champs)

3 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Just five seasons after retirement from playing and at least ten years in the MLB.

So if Bregman plays until age 38 or 39 and at the same level as he is now or close to it for the next 10 or 11 seasons, 20 years to Cooperstown is about right.  I think it will be more than 20, if he does make it.  His chances are good as he's really, really good at a really young age. 

And he's a tribesman, so he would join Greenberg, Koufax, and maybe Braun.  Maybe a Top Ten of all time for any sport.  I'm rooting for him because he's an Astro and because there aren't many we can brag about, you know

6 hours ago, runthebone said:

He can probably get SRO crowds for these critical games if he gives away cocaine, and I'd be ok with that.  

You're gonna have to settle for smoke...

From the pitcher's mound.  For me that's the difference this season and a huge reason this squad is in first place after getting obliterated by the injury bug.

6 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

There are, but it don’t make a shit.

I hate to break it to some of you that keep worrying, but we’re winning the division, guys....by somewhere between 7-10 games.
If the A’s couldn’t pass us in the 60 days we didn’t field a lineup that included Springer/Correa/Altuve, they’re not going to do it now that all 3 are back (did I mention the A’s played .730 ball during that stretch? And sorry, but a starting rotation that features Trevor Cahill and Mike Fiers as its best 1/2 now that Manaea is on the shelf is not going to unseat the defending World Champs)

You don’t have to be deep into analytics to figure us out. When we hit, we win. When everyone is healthy and in a groove and we aren’t topping pitches into a steady parade of 5-4-3 DPs, we’re at least as good as any other team on earth. Better, on paper, than last year’s champs.

Boston has been great. The A’s and Yankees and Tribe and even Mariners have been really solid at times. But from top to bottom, when we’re “right” there’s not one other roster  I’d take over ours. If we dodge any more real injuries and keep our bats going, we’ll play well into October. I’m not worried about our arms, and I’ll feel even better about our pitching and overall psyche with McCann back. 

All that said, today’s a new ballgame. Let the mudholing continue. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I could see him cast as one of those hardass Jewish gangsters in Boardwalk Empire or some such. 

9 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Yeah, I don't think it's really even controversial to say that Bregman is already one of the top 5 Chosen baseball players of all time, which is crazy to think about.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

there was a lot to love about last night's performance, but , for me the biggest take away, was that going into the latter part of the game, when it was 5-4, we were still kicking their ass. Yes, Cole gave up a two run home run, but the other one he gives up is probably an out just about any other ballpark in MLB outside of ours, shit like that happens. I liked the way he continued to battle, settle down, and when we come and take the lead, he goes outs and gets a quick inning to get back into the dugout. If I have a concern with him, it's his fastball control, walks are killer and going forward free passes can lead to bad things against us. I don't recall his line and the bullpen's final line, but it was pretty solid outside of that inning. and my god, our bullpen is fucking stupid. by the way, we get a rested Devo back shortly and eventually LMC in the post season. 

offensively, what can you saw about this team when half man is back. he's the heart and soul of the team and the team feels right with him in. other things i noticed - springer sprinting full speed on the base paths, and Altuve doing the same on a base hit to left. that should start to put some lingering doubt to rest about their health - they're probably hurting but will gut it through. The most encouraging sign I saw from the hitters was Correa squaring up balls and hitting them on line up the middle (centerfield line out) to right field lineout (piscotty diving play to halt the consecutive hit string). that's when he's at his best and if superstar starts rounding into form, fuck your couch. 

that said, that game doesnt mean much today, don't let up. 

• Like 1

Nothing too groundbreaking for those of us who followed it closely, but here's a good podcast detailing how the Verlander deal went down.  Interesting to hear how involved Crane and Keuchel both were during the final hours.

https://www.mlb.com/news/history-of-verlander-trade-on-executive-access/c-292232246

• Like 2

I think it is way too early to even tell.  McCullers/McCann/Devo may come back and get reinjured and be left off.

Assuming everyone is healthy, which with this team is a big assumption, then I would tend to agree that Stassi, Sipp and then one of Harris/Devo get left off.  Smith has been pretty reliable after a shitty first month or so.  

I'm not sure Kemp is needed if we are going to take Marisnick's D....I think we could get by with 4 OFs and keep another RP.  But if history says anything they went 5,5,3, 12 last season so I'm not sure they would change that.