2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You should always add the @ symbol when you wish to conjure a spirit on this board. In this case, someone omnipotent who has nailed every take he’s had on this thread from the start, and you can check it. Even “Evan Gattis having had his lick” has proven true. He was worth a fuck for 30 days and should otherwise not be on the roster. 

On THIS thread, perhaps. Your most memorable Astros prognostication is still that Bregman was the next Chris Burke.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

It’s crazy how frustrated we are with this team this year... and this year’s version is currently 4 games better than last year’s at this same point.

I guess someone on your heels will do that to you

Yep. No room for error. The WC era has added a weird wrinkle. Whoever wins the WC is usually a hot team and then the number 1 seed has to play them. It seems to be better to be the 2 seed.

• Like 1

That Baltimore series will be no joke.. It will be their World Series because its the end of their season. Don't forget  finishing with Arizona a few years back.. Not easy. 

Ehhh, they’restillshitty.gif

That said, I mentioned it a few days ago but I do hate the timing of the Blue Jays/ Orioles series.

Would much rather get those wins in the bank next week rather than potentially HAVING to get those wins the last week the clinch.

You want that last week focused on rest and staying sharp.

Not being laser focused making sure you don’t drop games against a 110 loss team.

those games late in the season don't bother me.  this isn't the nba where one hot/cold shooter can wreck the game, or a bunch of young effort guys can make a difference.  the talent differential after machado/gausman/britton/etc is massive.  they'll be playing a bunch of youngsters and tired guys who are ready for the season to end.  even with our guys being cold, we can win at least 2-3 of those games in balt.  and that's with our starters going 5 and one superstar getting the day off every game.  we just swept the tigers in similar circumstances.

sure, if we were down 1-2 games and needed every win to get there, i'd be nervous.  but hopefully by then we're protecting a 2-3 game lead, and a couple wins will shut it down.  

Bad news: We’re losing the opener against Baltimore.

Good news: we’ll have clinched at 1am Eastern the night before after Oakland loses to the Mariners on the west coast.

I feel for the owner of the team hotel in Baltimore.

Seriously, a 5 game lead before the 4 game set in Baltimore starts is definitely doable.

I was really hoping they’d do it the last home game of the season but don’t see an 8 game lead with 7 to go happening.

Would have to pick up 4.5 games in the next 9 days.

3 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

7 games on the road to close the season. Against shitty teams. Yeah I’m not worried about that. This team thrives on the road and will feast on those guys.

i feel like it's easier for us to maintain focusness on the road.

if we finished with 7 games at home, then a couple days off, then 2 home games vs cleveland...that's a lot of time for our guys to be around their families.  ain't nobody got time for that.

us going on the road = when the rockets used to go to galveston to get all kinds of serious.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Spark: Correa with a great opportunity here.
You’d like to think something good here may really get him going.

Me: “yeah, or he’ll hit in another double play

...[3 pitches later]

Got dammit!!!!”

i'm sure i'm not alone in thinking - do your thing carlos, just watch strike 3 down the middle to avoid the dp.  for once he makes solid contact.

i'm sure i'm not alone in thinking - do your thing carlos, just watch strike 3 down the middle to avoid the dp.  for once he makes solid contact.

I can confirm at least one other individual with that exact same thought at the same point in the at bat.

Ray can’t throw strikes. Correa notorious watches a lot of good first pitches... so of course Correa swings at the first pitch which gets way to deep in on him and fouls it back.

Ok I’m done thinking about that inning.

I saw the Diamondbacks runner going from second to third on that ground out and though, "Why is the umpire running?  Is one hurt and they are having to officiate the game short an ump?" 

The black over grey is kind of an odd look for a baseball team and confused me.  I don't like any of the D-backs unis and especially these

"That much"?

He's probably our second best outfielder and does well against RHP. This is a tough draw tonight, but if you're in a tight game and need someone to work the count and fight pitches to get on base, then Tony Kemp is your man. (Hi Boston) Plus, you switch him out with marisnick for the next defensive inning when he does get on base or scores