Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

The truck I learned to drive on, a '68 Dodge 100 with a flat 6 and three-on-the-tree, had a behind-the-seat gas tank.  We never thought anything of it at the time.
I've got a '69 Chevy C-10 with a behind the seat has tank. I don't think anything about it. These trucks have been around for 50 some odd years without any major issues. I'm sure there was an explosion or two, but Ralph Nader didn't fight to ban them from the roads.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
3 hours ago, nnm said:
The truck I learned to drive on, a '68 Dodge 100 with a flat 6 and three-on-the-tree, had a behind-the-seat gas tank.  We never thought anything of it at the time.

I've got a '69 Chevy C-10 with a behind the seat has tank. I don't think anything about it. These trucks have been around for 50 some odd years without any major issues. I'm sure there was an explosion or two, but Ralph Nader didn't fight to ban them from the roads.

'65 Chevy C-10 longbed here. Always a little disconcerting to hear the gas sloshing around in tank behind you, separated only by 5 inches of seat filler and upholstery. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Is that an Auburn tag on the front? That makes me say Holy Shit.

Yeah, it looks like it.  Except for that abomination, that truck is an exact replica of the one we had for so many years--crappy fitting stepside shortbed included.  It had a wooden bed, which I actually replaced in the early 80s with some scrap oak lumber.  We dropped the 3-on-the-tree tranny out around the same time and put in a 4-on-the-floor, which was a significant improvement.  No radio, not even a slot for one in the sheet metal dash.  

KIMG0458.jpg

Almost exactly the same 68 F100. Except mine had big ol Farm Bureau mudgrips, a Granny 4 speed and a 6cyl. Oh, and the spare was mounted outside because my Granddad had trouble getting it out of the bed. She was ugly, but I loved her.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:28 AM, RPM said:

68 F-100 I was handed down from my Grandfather had a behind the seat tank. Knew it was time to fill up when the sloshing got quiet.

Mine was a 67.  Exact same scenario.  Gift from Grandfather.  Farm truck he bought new.  Gave it to me and bought a new F-150 that my cousin ended up with when he passed.  God I loved that truck and that old man.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Felix said:

Mine was a 67.  Exact same scenario.  Gift from Grandfather.  Farm truck he bought new.  Gave it to me and bought a new F-150 that my cousin ended up with when he passed.  God I loved that truck and that old man.

I remember loading cows and taking them to the Ft. Worth auction with him. Always sold and bought thru Farmer & Kooch. Unfortunately, Granddad's eyes got bad in his later years and he bounced that truck off damn near every tree on the property before I got it. You can still walk down to a couple of the tanks and find reflectors on the trees.

Oh, and it had nothing besides a heater. No radio, no a/c beside 2/60. I couldn't add a/c, but I did put a decent radio in it.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine was all scratched from mesquite brush and drivers side door had a big rusty patch where his arm rested when the window was open.  It was perfect in every way for a 16 year old.  Sumbitch had a 352 cubic inch engine with floor shifter.  Four gears but 1st was a granny gear so always started in 2nd unless hauling a trailer.  It could pull just about anything at exactly 3 mph in 1st.  Gas mileage was about 7 mpg though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Lucky bastard. Mine had the small straight 6, but it was a tough SOB. Hauled tons of hay, a couple zillion cord of wood and once moved a fully loaded 60ft mobile home 3 miles. We called her Old Yeller.

Country.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

You can’t really fault the fucker. 

“ of course I helped start that brushfire, I was hungry and my fucking species name is fire hawk. What the hell did you think was gonna happen?  Give me little hawk boots and a helmet and hope I help evacuate wildlife?”

On 2/2/2022 at 10:55 AM, Colonel Sanders said:

That's a photo of the 1994 Aggie bonfire collapse.  Point still stands though about the photo quality.

Did not know there were additional collapses. 

DP_MjbbV4AA8ov7.jpg

Edited by markstanco
Grammar error. Didnt want trashmaster calling me out.
  • Haha 2

First stick I legally drove was my grandfather's 1980 Datsun pickup.  It's not as much of a workhorse/ basass truck as most of what y'all are listing; but that sumbeech always got the boat up the ramp and was utilitarian as hell.  Loved that truck.

For you younguns, Datsun was phased out and then there was just Nissan in that manufacturer.

.1980-datsun-nissan-pickup-78000-mile-ari

3 hours ago, Felix said:

'56 international pickup here.  Can't get pics to post, but you get the gist of it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2