Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Can someone explain the camera angle? They keep saying helmet cam, but it looks like the camera is 8' above him

It's a 360 cam on a helmet mount.

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/cameras/max/CHDHZ-202-master.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAsNKQBhAPEiwAB-I5zeUSvWTiQx9-gYargQ6d9XlVpQvZrd7tUL9BSXkTAMULbUSZ-oX-5BoC5GwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://store.insta360.com/product/unicorn_helmet_mount

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/16/2022 at 10:34 PM, CooterBrown said:

How does it nearly stop, reverse direction, and speed up significantly?

I am going to assume this is a serious question.

The ball does not stop, reverse direction, and speed up.

Your eyes and visual cortex can only process a certain number of images per second*. You see the red stripe at different locations each of those times. As the rotation of the ball slows, the location of the stripe at each of those times is different. At certain rotational speeds, the changing location of the stripe makes it appear the ball is rotating one way or at one speed. At slower rotational speeds, the changing location of the stripes might make the ball appear to rotate in the opposite direction.

The same effect can be seen in propeller blades as they spin up. As their rotational speed increases, the spinning blades appear to change direction.

The ball were to spin at just the right speed, it could appear to not be spinning, or appear to be spinning in the direction opposite its actual spin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon-wheel_effect

*The refresh rate of your screen has to be higher than this frequency, or your screen would appear to flicker as you looked at it. Film movies have to have exceed this rate or motion would be jerky.

16 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I am going to assume this is a serious question.

The ball does not stop, reverse direction, and speed up.

Your eyes and visual cortex can only process a certain number of images per second*. You see the red stripe at different locations each of those times. As the rotation of the ball slows, the location of the stripe at each of those times is different. At certain rotational speeds, the changing location of the stripe makes it appear the ball is rotating one way or at one speed. At slower rotational speeds, the changing location of the stripes might make the ball appear to rotate in the opposite direction.

The same effect can be seen in propeller blades as they spin up. As their rotational speed increases, the spinning blades appear to change direction.

The ball were to spin at just the right speed, it could appear to not be spinning, or appear to be spinning in the direction opposite its actual spin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagon-wheel_effect

*The refresh rate of your screen has to be higher than this frequency, or your screen would appear to flicker as you looked at it. Film movies have to have exceed this rate or motion would be jerky.

I don't believe this is correct.  It's called aliasing and is due to the recording devices sample frequency.  I don't believe organic eyeballs have a sampling frequency.  

I first noticed this when watching The Dukes of Hazard.  The wheels would look like they were going backwards on TV. 

I later studied this phenomenon in Aerospace Engineering classes.  Maybe Physics 2 lab with Oscillo scopes and the like.  After learning about it, I noticed a way to observe it in everyday life.  I noticed that the two cars in front of me had their blinkers on and the appeared to be in sync.  After a dozen or so blinks, they started to drop out of what appeared to be perfect sync.  I believe this is another way aliasing can exist.  That is all.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

I don't believe this is correct.  It's called aliasing and is due to the recording devices sample frequency.  I don't believe organic eyeballs have a sampling frequency.  

I first noticed this when watching The Dukes of Hazard.  The wheels would look like they were going backwards on TV. 

I later studied this phenomenon in Aerospace Engineering classes.  Maybe Physics 2 lab with Oscillo scopes and the like.  After learning about it, I noticed a way to observe it in everyday life.  I noticed that the two cars in front of me had their blinkers on and the appeared to be in sync.  After a dozen or so blinks, they started to drop out of what appeared to be perfect sync.  I believe this is another way aliasing can exist.  That is all.

actually, I believe you are right. The effect is an artifact of the recording device.

However, there is a sampling frequency, if that's the correct term, for living visual systems. Your brain can only process so many images a second. Those discrete images are used to create the illusion of smooth motion in your visual cortex. (Hallucinogenic drugs can screw up this smoothing effect, creating what are sometimes called "tracers")

If the rate of images moving in front of a projector in an old fashioned film is below that sampling rate, whatever that rate is, you won't see smooth motion on the screen.

Impressively large tract of land and more crap in their garage than I have.  I'm no engineer, but three big risks I saw were the whiffle ball about 1/3rd the way through not being heavy enough, the marble could have easily bounced off that thing track, and the last basketball running through that trench.  But overall, fucking awesome.  Those two kids deserve a college scholarship for that.  It'll be more boss than any other extra-curricular I've seen.  

And by the way, you have to give it up to the recently passed SCOTUS judge for inventing this whole engineering challenge.  Despite her judicial obligations and demure frame, Rube Bader Goldberg started a really cool phenomenon in America during Covid-19 that exposed young people to all kinds of cool problem-solving/solution-building skills.  

there are snakes on this muthafuckin' van! 

If this van is a rattlin', don't go a battlin'.  

You keep this up young man and you'll be living in a van down by the snake pit.